Experiment-627: A Caribbean Double with a Wilderness Chaser

“COME… AND… GET IT!”

But yet, it seemed like someone was saying this because those lines to get in sometimes was crazy. You know one thing I liked, they always handed out the towelettes before each dinner and at Cabana's.

Times have changed.​

Now, there will still be plenty of folks aboard that will dress to the nines.
I found the relaxed code nice though. You can dress up...to the nines or drum it down.

Another interesting point is that according to our serving team, we were being offered a brand new menu that was being débuted for the first time on our sailing. I suspect it was an experimental one as well, because I’ve not seen anyone post or mention the changes we encountered, and because a couple of items were listed in both the appetizer column and as part of the “Vegetarian” section of the Main Courses column (and being as one of them had some meat in it, this was surely an oversight). All that being said, it was still an excellent meal.
Yes, we had this same menu too, so they must've adopted it.

The rest of my household did a better job with Tamara trying the “Garden Roll” and Max taking a stab at the “Lobster Ravioli”
Both GREAT choices!!:thumbsup2 As for the bait...not sure. And thanks for those pics, it was so good.
And as good as that looks, it tasted better; one of the best meals of the trip hands down.
Ohhhh, that looks good!!!!!!!!

The wife and young’en decided to test the seafood waters with the “Sea Bass”…
STRONG CHOICE!!!! I still dream of the Sea Bass

Everything glowed and sparkled with a noticeable elegance. The Darkness has a magic and electricity about it. With only the shimmer of moonlight or subdued lamp light scattered here and there, the night has a certain ability to transform collections of mundane and ordinary objects into an enchanting landscapes and even surreal tapestries. Much of what appears to be beautiful (or in some cases sinister and frightening) during the nocturnal hours will often turn out to be just the same flotsam and jetsam that we’d generally ignore during the day. Imagination and darkness make a great combination.
Rob, that is a wonderfully elegant way to sum up the evening and I will say it here...:worship:

Hey now, all the best literary works start with “It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out!"
of course the literary works of Schulz

I'm surprised they even bother to each English that far south...
:rotfl2:
Wow!

Of all of the advice I got from your TR, this one may have been the best! :thumbsup2
DITTO THAT!!!!

“COME… AND… GET IT!”

Can you imagine the maitre d’ of one of the Dream’s signature restaurants standing at the door… ringing a dinner bell… and hollering that little refrain at the top of his lungs?

No, but it sounds like it would be really funny.

This past outing, the business casual that was the regular daily norm twenty years ago, was all that was required for the dressiest evening aboard the Dream.

I went with golf shirts on regular dinner nights and a button-down for formal night. :thumbsup2 To be fair, most people don't want to pack or wear a suit on vacation, I'm guessing.

Enchanted Garden however, is unique. Conceptually, it is inspired by the formal gardens of Versailles.

Looks very cool. I like the fact that they built another restaurant with some Disney magic going on throughout the meal. :thumbsup2

the “Vegetarian” section of the Main Courses column

The what section? :confused3

Slow Roasted Prime Rib
Thyme-roasted Vegetables, Double-baked Potato served with a natural jus

There's my choice! :thumbsup2

OK, so what about that entrée? Well, the “Prime Rib” sounded very good…
but I was in a “Tenderloin” kind’a mood.

I guess I can't blame you there.

Everything glowed and sparkled with a noticeable elegance. The Darkness has a magic and electricity about it. With only the shimmer of moonlight or subdued lamp light scattered here and there, the night has a certain ability to transform collections of mundane and ordinary objects into an enchanting landscapes and even surreal tapestries. Much of what appears to be beautiful (or in some cases sinister and frightening) during the nocturnal hours will often turn out to be just the same flotsam and jetsam that we’d generally ignore during the day. Imagination and darkness make a great combination.

Wow, that's beautifully stated. I think you're pulling one over on us with all these claims of "drivel".

Hey now, all the best literary works start with “It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out!"

This explains much. I now understand both the inspiration for you TRs and the upbringing and mindset that led to the very next comment you made…

Actually… they don’t bother. They teach “Southern”. It’s a dialect of “American” (which has nothing to do with “English”), and is distinctly more refined then the dialects that are practiced in other parts of the continent. :rolleyes:

That nice cloth bag with the embroidered DCL logo almost made it into one of my suitcases. But then my conscience started talking to me and convinced me not to. Funny, my conscience sounds a lot like my wife.

Insightful… I think that nearly everyone’s conscience sounds a lot like their significant other.

Veteran crowd movement moves there. It's hard to pull off, but I enjoy using unsuspecting strangers to set a pick and roll for me.

:lmao:

But yet, it seemed like someone was saying this because those lines to get in sometimes was crazy. You know one thing I liked, they always handed out the towelettes before each dinner and at Cabana's.

Those towelettes have gotten to be an industry joke. On a previous cruise one of the comedians even riffed on the subject and started singing an impromptu song about having the cleanest hands on the seas. I wish I’d taken a video of that… it was a lot funnier then the description would lead you to believe.

I found the relaxed code nice though. You can dress up...to the nines or drum it down.

Agreed… The relaxed atmosphere is just more family friendly.
Who’d have expected such a concept from Disney?

Yes, we had this same menu too, so they must've adopted it.

Interesting… I’m surprised I haven’t seen any more about it on the DCL board. I’ll have to look a bit harder.

Of all of the advice I got from your TR, this one may have been the best! :thumbsup2

DITTO THAT!!!!

If you only learn one lesson… the exact whereabouts of “free” pastries is a good one.

The entire update was nicely done, but this line stuck me as exceptionally poetic. :thumbsup2

Well done, sir, well done.

Rob, that is a wonderfully elegant way to sum up the evening and I will say it here...:worship:

Thank you both. I’m pretty sure I don’t deserve the compliment. In fact… I do believe that I just very recently saw some commentary about the sorry state of language arts proficiency within the confines of the southeastern part of this nation.

But, I’ll take the compliment anyway (being as I don’t receive them very often).

“COME… AND… GET IT!”

Can you imagine the maitre d’ of one of the Dream’s signature restaurants standing at the door… ringing a dinner bell… and hollering that little refrain at the top of his lungs?
Hey, don't cast this idea aside so quickly. One of these days, there might be a restaurant on a Disney ship themed like Frontierland.

(less to pack and carry that way as well)
Yeah... definitely wouldn't want to have to haul formal wear with me on vacation to wear for one dinner. I think I'd have to opt out of dinner and grab something at Mater's if it was mandatory.:lmao::rotfl2:

Enchanted Garden however, is unique. Conceptually, it is inspired by the formal gardens of Versailles.
That looks amazing.

OK, so what about that entrée? Well, the “Prime Rib” sounded very good…
but I was in a “Tenderloin” kind’a mood.
Ok, I'm thinking I would have asked for the Tenderloin as the appetizer course and then the prime rib for the main course.:thumbsup2

They call it English... :confused3 :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Howdy Mark…
You snuck that reply in on me.

No, but it sounds like it would be really funny.

Yes… yes it would.
I wonder just how much of a tip it would take to get that to happen
(while I was conveniently recording the scene).

I went with golf shirts on regular dinner nights and a button-down for formal night. :thumbsup2 To be fair, most people don't want to pack or wear a suit on vacation, I'm guessing.

And that’s the new normal. Carrying extra bags just for one evening is not my idea of good planning either. Given the state of airline travel in relation to baggage… I foresee a near future in cruising where folks show up with nothing more then a bathing suit, flip-flops and one pare of shorts.

Imagine the possibilities (mind you, they’d be both good and bad, but just imagine)

Looks very cool. I like the fact that they built another restaurant with some Disney magic going on throughout the meal. :thumbsup2

I wasn’t sure about this one when I first read the write up, but it turned out to be one of my favorites now that I’ve been on all of the ships.

The what section? :confused3

I know… I know… It’s a little like the concepts of “Sasquatch” or “integrity amongst elected officials”, it’s much discussed, and people swear they seen it, but there is precious little evidence to support its existence.

Wow, that's beautifully stated. I think you're pulling one over on us with all these claims of "drivel".

Oh… it’s drivel alright (just ask Barry), but I am most certainly pulling one over on y’all.
:rolleyes1

And another one sneaks in while I’m looking the other way.
Of course I expect that kind of behavior from you.

Hey, don't cast this idea aside so quickly. One of these days, there might be a restaurant on a Disney ship themed like Frontierland.

And if anyone does it, you can be sure that DCL will do it first.

Yeah... definitely wouldn't want to have to haul formal wear with me on vacation to wear for one dinner. I think I'd have to opt out of dinner and grab something at Mater's if it was mandatory.:lmao::rotfl2:

And I’ll join you up on Deck-11 that particular evening as well
(but I’ll grab a bite from Fillmore’s instead and then meet you over by the pool).

Ok, I'm thinking I would have asked for the Tenderloin as the appetizer course and then the prime rib for the main course.:thumbsup2

It pains me to say this of my nemesis, but…
I like the way you think.

It pays to choose your advisory’s with as much diligence as you’d apply to your friends

They call it English... :confused3 :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

That’s more like it… far more predictable and easily disregarded.

Did you not see my response to Barry’s original assertion?
We wouldn’t dream of disparaging our own mother tongue by referring to the refined art of South’n Conversation as: “English”.

That’d be… uncivilized.

Bonus Feature 15:

Shamless Plug

T3A1-002.jpg

This is not so much a Bonus feature as it is a clarion warning that something awful is headed directly towards you. You can use this information to save yourself or you can walk directly into the line of fire. The choice is yours, but a dastardly event (the possibility of which I’ve previously warned you about) has taken place and no one is safe.

What despicable event could this be?

Simple… my decision to start a TR on our Non-Disney trip up to NY to be part of:
the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Since it is a Non-Disney TR, you won’t find in this forum. Instead I’m will be updating it in the “Dis Dads” forum on these here boards

Which you can find here: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185

OR…

You can get to it directly via this link here…

A Thanksgiving Odyssey
(Bands, Buses, and Big Bad Balloons)

(or via the link in my Sig… once I get it updated that is)

This also means that I’ll be trying to keep up with two at once
(being as there are still a couple of days left to discuss on this one).
We’ll see if I can pull this off.

Well… you’ve been warned.

Now let’s see just how many of y’all foolishly choose to follow along

Bonus Feature 16:

O Sole Mio

B16-001.jpg

It’s time for another episode of that popular soap opera: “Tangents R Us”. It’s been a little while since I really went off the reservation, and I figured that it was just about time to correct that situation. Now to be fair, there is a Disney element to this one, but you’ll wave to wait a bit for it (or you can scroll down to that part of the update… or… you can scroll down to the next update and skip this one all together).

For those of you that are going to hang around this disreputable part of the TR, I figure that I’d better get started. Our ultimate destination will be a seat at a dinner table, but today’s starting point is this little spot on the map right here…

B16-002.jpg

Why?

Because that is where you will find gondolas and it’s the gondola that I intend to spend the first part of this entry discussing.

Why?

Well… DCL has compelled me to do so, but I’ll explain that in a while. First… a bit of geography.

Venice is not a city as much as it is a collective; a collective of islands that is. It is made up of 117 small islands (although a couple of them are considerably more important then the rest in relation to this dissertation) that sit in an otherwise unremarkable saltwater lagoon in northeast Italy. Its prominence came from its location. It just happened to be in the perfect spot to create a trade crossroad during the time that Europe was awakening form its dark slumber and discovering a taste for all things Asian. But unlike other port cities of its age that were built on the edge of water, Venice was built on top if it. The seas don’t flow around or by the city, so much as flows smack through it. It was this reality that lead Venice to create a different kind of public transportation system form the norm. Horses were impractical… what they needed was something a bit more buoyant.

B16-003.jpg

The origin of the word gondola cannot be precisely tracked down, but the deceptively simple vessels bearing that name have appeared in paintings in nearly their current form since 1400s. Their origin as a mode of conveyance is said to be even older and one story credits them as having been a gift offered to the residents of the city in 1094 by a fellow named Vitale Faliero who happened to be the Doge at the time.

(mini tangent: a Doge is not the same as a Duke. There is no heredity involved in the title. Instead he was the most senior official elected by the aristocracy, which in Venice was made up not of royalty, but of businessmen).
This particular leader offered his citizens a group small shallow draft boats that could be used to travel around the city (kind of a thank you present for not voting him out). These boats caught on though not among the peasants, as was intended. Instead (and as usual), gondolas quickly became the mode of transportation of choice for Venice's upper crust (thus quickly pricing the regular rabble out of the picture).

B16-004.jpg

So much money was being spent on making the family chariot more impressive and more ornate then thy neighbors that the government ended up imposing a set of "sumptuary laws” that controlled the size, and amount of adornment allowed on a gondola. The laws even limited the color of all gondolas to black so that they’d be equal in appearance.

Why?

Well… if you just happened to be spending inordinate amounts of money showing off and one-uping your rivals, then you’d have less that could be offered up in the required subscriptions back to the “Serenissima” (that’s “The Most Serine Republic of Venice”). Venice had war ventures, architectonic renewals, and general operations that needed funding and could not afford to have their merchants and nobles (being the source of said funding) frittering away cash stockpiles on mere vanity. Over time many such sumptuary laws were written into the books by the Republic to limit “the waste in luxury”. Of course, there were exceptions… if you were to see a gondola in Venice that is not painted black; it will be owned either by the church, or the government itself (except during a gondola racing event… then all bets are off in relation to color).

B16-005.jpg

Now let’s talk about the craft itself. At first glance, they appear to be fairly simple skiffs with raised ends, but appearances are deceptive. They are flat bottomed. This allows them to navigate fairly shallow waters. But, they also needed to be able to ply the deepwater areas throughout Venice and between islands, so an oar (called a “rèmo”) is used to supply the locomotion (remember this point… it’s going to become important in a bit). The raised bow and stern of the boat is an adaptation that allows them to be more nimble in a turn (as there is less hull actually in the water and therefore less mass that has to be moved through it). All of these attributes combined with the fact that that the Gondolier always stands to the left side and always rows on the right, would lead to a vessel that was rather hard to control. The way that this problem was solved is that these are the only boats that are purposely built asymmetrically. The port side is higher and has more mass and surface area then the starboard side. This helps prevent the boats from pulling to the left with each stroke of the oar, but also gives them a somewhat skewed appearance as if they were slightly twisted or bent.

B16-006.jpg

Take a good look and you should be able to see what I’m on about in that row of gondolas pictured above. Here’s a schematic that illustrates the concept a bit farther (it’s a little fuzzy, but you can get the basic idea)…

B16-007.jpg

And… here’s just one more picture that displays the “wiggle in the tail” of a gondola pretty well…

B16-008.jpg

This warped appearance (some call it “banana” shaped) is the result of centuries of refinement and as you might expect there are strict laws governing the construction of these iconic craft. Each boat is mad up of 280 different pieces that fit together like a 3D jigsaw puzzle. There are also eight different type of wood used in each gondola and each wood has a specific purpose: solid oak for the sides, lightweight fir for the bottom, malleable cherry for the thwarts, larch for water resistance, bendable walnut for the frame, linden for reinforcement, mahogany for trim, and elm to bend alongside the walnut.

The only metal parts on the boat are the decorative “risso” attached to the stern and the much larger and distinctive “ferro” (or “iron”), which is built into the bow and acts as a counterbalance to the weight of the Gondolier.

B16-009.jpg

The unique shape of the “ferro” on a Venetian gondola is fairly consistent and also has a good bit of symbolism built into it. There is some argument about all of the potential meanings but here are the ones that crop up the most. The curved part at the top has the shape of the traditional horned cap worn by the doge (the “Coppelo del Doge”). Next are the six prongs (or “pettini”) that face forward and represent the 6 districts (or “sestieri”) into which the city is divided. The seventh one that points astern is for the Island of Giudecca. The shank extending downward from six teeth and curving on below the water line recalls he the meandering of the Grand Canal.

B16-010.jpg

More modern versions also have three particularly elaborate bits of design work incorporated in between the sets of prongs. Again, there is some argument as to the exact meaning of these bits (if any), but the story that pleased my ear the best was that they represent the three bridges that cross the Grand Canal; The Rialto, Scalzi, and Accademia bridges.

B16-011.jpg

Much of the image that folks have about a ride in a gondola is somewhat romanticized and a bit of it comes to us via the movies rather then experience. I mean, I’ve not yet had the experience of visiting any part of Europe much less Venice. The biggest of these misconceptions involves the Gondoliers and their purported penchant for serenading couples and lovely lone ladies while gently pushing their craft along the waterways of the city.

B16-012.jpg

There are two things wrong with that last sentence and the first one is the business of serenading. The profession of gondolier is controlled by a guild, which issues a limited number of licenses yearly. These papers are granted only after periods of extensive training and apprenticeship. There is also a major comprehensive exam which tests their practical skills in careful handling the gondola typically necessary in the tight spaces of Venetian canals. The other component of this exam is a test of their knowledge of Venetian history, landmarks and foreign language skills. Now if you’ll notice, I never once said that they had to be accomplished singers and in fact, it’s rare that you’ll encounter this particular skill amongst these accomplished tradesmen. Some may, but it ain’t required. So… why do we think that this is normal and why do we also relate the tune: “O Sole Mio” is the number one song that Gondoliers should be singing? How did this song from Southern Italy (Naples to be specific) become tethered to our romantic notions of Venice in the north and on the opposite coast?

The most likely culprit is Hollywood. There is an urban legend that goes like this: during the transition from silent film to talkies there were several films released with singing gondoliers. Of course the whole thing was done in Hollywood on a soundstage, so the "gondolas" were about ten feet long, painted white with lots of gaudy decoration, and the songs were in Italian but not authentic. The rest of that story has only one guy working in the studios at the time who was Italian, and that he was from Napoli. As the person that was consulted, he's the reason that the top three songs most closely associated with gondolas in this country are from that region. The top three being: Torna Surriento, Santa Lucia, and of course the number one – O Sole Mio.

Can I prove that? No, but I like the story.

B16-013.jpg

Now remember that I said that there were two things wrong with that sentence way back there (and also remember that I warned you even earlier to remember one other bit info that would make sense later). Well we’ve arrived at later and also at the second part of this trifling Bonus Feature.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Bonus Feature 16.5: Palo

B16-014.jpg

Palo is the premier adult only dinning room aboard the Magic and Wonder and one of two similar spots on the Dream. From all accounts, it is also one very fine experience. Oddly though it also supplies one of these rare instances where Disney got a detail ummmm… how shall we say… wrong. Here, let me allow the fine folks at DCL explain the concept for you:

“Palo on the Disney Dream is an intimate Adult Exclusive restaurant located on Deck 12, Aft that boasts Northern Italian cuisine for dinner nightly. Along with its rich cuisine and upscale atmosphere, Palo offers sweeping ocean views and an elegant décor—a perfect romantic setting for Guests 18 years of age or older.

As the preeminent venue for Disney dining on the high seas, Palo presents the best in fine Northern Italian dining, serving a varied selection of tantalizing favorites with a mouth-watering contemporary twist.

Palo, named after the signature long poles used by gondoliers in Venice, features stylish furnishings, custom art and an Italian-inspired décor. Every seat in the restaurant provides an excellent view of the ocean, thanks to raised seating banquettes along one side of the room, floor-to-ceiling windows and a semi-circular design. Adding to the magic is a backlit bar at the restaurant's center and a pianist who softly serenades diners in the intimate surroundings.”

(Source: DCL’s website)

Palo is Italian for the word “pole” the very thing that gondoliers do not use to maneuver their craft though the water. They don’t push the boats up and down the canals; they row them with a specifically designed oar called a “rèmo”. We most likely have Hollywood to blame for that misconception as well.

I originally intended for this bonus feature to be simple about Palo and Remy (the other adult restaurant on the Dream which I’ll get to in a minute), but it was my research on the meaning of the name that started me down a whole different path and basically ensured that I’d have to take what I’d learned and waste your time with it (that’s just another service that I offer). Well you’ve been tortured enough so now it’s time to actually talk about the restaurants and offer up a bit of info that you may actually be able to use. First well start with a couple of pictures (they’ll tell you more that I will anyway)

B16-015.jpg

B16-016.jpg

Disclaimer time… I’ve not yet had the chance to dine at Palo. There is an age limit of 18, and I have a son that is younger then that and is not all that thrilled about diving into the teen clubs with strangers (the guys in my family take time to warm up to folks and make friends, but once made, their friends for life). Being the case, we never felt right about heading off to an exclusive spot on the ship and leaving him to fend for himself (now if he had siblings it might be different, but…). Anyway, it is true that I can’t speak form experience, but I can relate the comments of others and pass on the general things that you’ll need to know about this venue.

Reservations are required and seating is limited. Concierge Guests and Platinum Level Castaways Club members can start booking 120 days in advance, and honestly, they’ll get the lion’s share of the ressies. But, if you are unable to reserve a table, you can head up to the D-Lounge as soon as you board the ship on the first day and try to book a spot then. DCL will hold a number of table slots for this purpose and they are distributed on a first come bases.

B16-017.jpg

The next thing you need to know is that there is an extra charge for the privilege. $20.00 per person to be specific. If you need to cancel for any reason, do so before 2pm of the day of the reservation or they will charge you anyway (the same goes for no shows).

There is also an actual enforced dress code here as well. I’ll let DCL explain this one so that I don’t forget anything:

“Dress Code:
At Palo, dress pants and shirt or jacket is required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.”

Palo also offers a brunch during sea days on cruses of four days or more. It is buffet style and is just about as popular as the dinner spots. The cost is the same, but there are obviously fewer reservations available.

B16-018.jpg

Generally, the meal will begin with an antipasto served tableside and end with desert (most folks go with he signature chocolate soufflé). The menu is quite extensive. Here a look see at the basics on the Palo menu (it does change form time to time, but this will be pretty close).

PANE CASALINGO
Freshly Baked Bread on Our Pizza Oven

Grissin Sticks, Olive and Ciabatta Rolls, and Focaccia Bread

Palo's Cold Antipasti Specialties presented from our Antipast Cartello

Prosciutto, Bresaola, Parmesan-Reggiano, Marinated Olives, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
served with Palo's Famous Dips and Olive Oil

BUONA SERA

Pizze Del Pizzaiolo

Margherita
Tomato Sauce, Sliced Tomatoes, Mozzarella

Al Prosciutto
Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Prosciutto

Al Funghi
Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Portobello Mushrooms

Bianca
Mozzarella, Cherry Tomatoes

Ai Gamberi
Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Shrimp, Asparagus

Quattro Formaggi
Mozzarella, Mascarpone, Gorgonzola, Parmesan

ANTIPASTI, INSALATINE & ZUPPA

Tuna Carpaccio and Lemon Oil Dressing
Thin slices of Tuna brushed with chef's special lemon olive oil

Mozzarella and Plum Tomatoes with Balsamic Dressing
Our Modern Interpretation of a Traditional Dish

Sicilian Pesto Marinated Grilled Shrimp
on a Mussel, Crab and Cherry Tomato Ragu

Grilled Portobello Mushroom and Polenta
with a roasted shallot sauce and a parmesan chip

Fritto Misto di Pesce con Olive all'Ascolana
Deep-friend calamari, scallops, mussels with lemon and deep-fried green olives

Melanzane Funghetto
Lightly salted eggplant sauteed with garlic and parsley, served warm with a balsamic dressing drizzle

Fresh Arugula Salad with choice of Palo's Dressings

Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto and Parmesa Cheese
Garnished with Shredded Cabbage and Red Radishes

Cioppino
Italian Tomato Fish Stew with a Calamari, Clams, Shrimp and Halibut scented with garlic and basil

LA PASTA

Risotta di Mare
Saffron Risotto served with Fried Zucchini, Shrimp, Mussels and Clams

Wild Mushroom Risotto
with freshly shaved parmesan and a chianti reduction

Lobster and Mascarpone Ravioli
with a light truffle burro Bianco

Chianti Braised Beef Ravioli
tossed in a rich red wine reduction with oven-roasted carrots and celery

Gnocchi di patate con Gorgonzola e Aspargi
Potato gnocchi served with gorgonzola sauce with asparagus

Rosemary Pappardelle con Aragosta
Lobster, parsley and fennel with chili and fresh tomato sauce

Penne Arrabbiata Lombardia
with spicy fresh tomato and basil sauce, topped with grilled shrimp

FAGIOLI ALLA VENEZIANA

Venetian Peperonata
Vegetable and Bean Casserole

IL PESCE

Grilled Sea Scallops with Boriotti Beans and Pancetta
served with a tomato sauce

Rombo al Finocchio
Pan-seared turbot on fingerling potatoes, porcini, pancetta and fennel with walnut butter

Branzino in Cartoccio
Sea Bass Papillote with spaghetti vegetables and ginger orange glaze

Grilled Tuna Piemonte
Truffle-infused potato risotto with garlic marinated artichokes and a tarragon veal jus

LA CARNE

Pan-seared Calves Liver Mele e Cipolle
on polenta cake with caramelized apples and onions, garnished with air-dried prosciutto

Fagotti di Petto di Pollo con Ricotta e Basilico
Baked chicken breast filled with ricotta, basil and red peppers served with pinot grigio reduction

Osso Buco di Vitello
Slow-roasted center cut veal shank with gremolata and risotto Milanese

Oregano and Parmesan crusted rack of lamb
with sangiovese roasted shallots, olive oil baked roma tomatoes, potato pave and herb jus

Our Beef Tenderloin "Palo"
served with Palo signature Barolo red wine sauce or gorgonzola sauce

I DOLCI

Chocolate Souffle
with Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauces

Homemade Tiramisu
Layered Coffee-infused Ladyfinger with Mascarpone Cheese

Pistachio Cake with Amaretto Cream
and Hazelnut Meringue

Apple Crostata with Salted Caramel Sauce,
Sugar Dough, Braised Cinnamon Apples, and Whipped Cream

Panna Cotta
with Strawberry-Basil Sorbet

So… are you hungry yey?

B16-019.jpg

Bonus Feature 16.75: Remy

B16-020.jpg

Remy is unique to the Dream and will also be a choice on board the new Fantasy starting in 2012. This too is a high end adult only dinning experience and is generally described as being even farther over the top then Palo (way… over the top). Remy offers French-inspired cuisine and is the most upscale dining experience on board. I think this would also be a good time to let the Disney folks tell the story the way they want you to hear it.

“Dining at Remy is like being transported to an authentic fine-dining restaurant in France. The luxurious dining room is softly lit and designed in a timeless Art Nouveau style featuring soft greens, rich reds, and gold tones. Graceful, sinuous lines adorn the chair backs, glass and wall etchings, as sweeping floral and leaf designs ornament the carpet and lighting. Adding to the refined ambience, tables are set with Frette linens, Riedel glassware, Christofle silverware, and china created exclusively for the restaurant. The adorable Remy character appears in artful ways throughout the restaurant's design for a touch of Disney magic.

Boasting a French-inspired menu featuring superior seasonal ingredients from around the globe, dining at Remy is a leisurely affair. Beginning with a complimentary chilled Champagne cocktail that is prepared at your table, dinner is comprised of multiple courses. For an extra charge, Remy offers a stellar wine list in addition to a wine pairing option. Elegant touches include a tableside trolley for international cheeses, decanting stations for wines, and an after-dinner coffee service.

Remy's gourmet menu was created by Chef Arnaud Lallement from l'Assiette Champenoise—a Michelin 2-star restaurant just outside Reims, France—and Chef Scott Hunnel from award-winning Victoria & Albert's at Walt Disney World Resort.”

B16-021.jpg

Again, reservations are required and disappear just as quickly. The extra charge for this experience it $75.00 per person and you will need to add on the cost of wine and alcoholic beverages. The same rules for cancelations that are in effect at Palo also apply here as well.

Other differences at Remy include an invitation earlier on the day of the reservation to meet with a sommelier in their wine room to pre-select the wines for the evening. Really… I’m not making this stuff up. There are also options to dine in the “Gusteau Room where guests can enjoy a unique multi-course menu while interacting with the head chef” or in “The Wine Room: as luxurious glass-walled room with marble flooring amid more than 900 bottles of wine, including a rare selection of Old World wines balanced with a solid selection of New World wines.”

B16-022.jpg

There is a dress code for Remy as well and it’s a might more formal then the one at Palo. As such, I think I’ll let Disney explain that one too:

“A dress code is enforced during dinner.

Men: A jacket (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket) is required, with dress pants/slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Please no jeans, shorts, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

Ladies: Cocktail dress, evening dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse are required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.”

On the up side… if you forget to bring a jacket, I’m told that they keep a stash of them and if need be, will help you to choose one when you come up early that day to meet the sommelier (I suspect that I’d feel mightily out of place here, but I bet it one hell of an experience).

B16-023.jpg

Here are a couple of excerpts from one write up that I found elsewhere on the board that will give you some additional insight into what to expect.

” There are two tasting menus - one designed by each of the two chefs [“Saveur Menu” and “Gout Menu”] and are accompanied by suggested wines. One can also order ala carte. The selections include the elements of the two tasting menus plus other options. You choose a starter, a fish, and a meat dish. Dinner begins with a champagne cocktail…”

“Alex[the sommelier that evening] was ever present with spot on wine recommendations. Then an amuse bouche - rattatouile. Then the starter, fish, and meat course. Then cheese service. Dessert. Second dessert. A rose for the ladies (did I mention that a stool is provided for one's purse?) and, back in the cabin, truffles and a thank you note from the restaurant.”

Starting to get the picture?

Here’s a look at the menu offered at Remy starting off with the set tasting menus and then the ala carte menu (which will include the items from the tasting menus along with farther descriptions).

Set Menus
Additional $99 for Wine Pairing (in parentheses below)

Saveur Menu
[Chef Arnaud Lallement]

Langoustine Royale
(Taittinger Prestige Cuvee Rose NV)

Declinaison Tomate
(Domaine Larouche Chablis Vaillons '07)

Tubot Cotier
(Domaine Louis Latour Puligny Montrachet '08)

Pigeonneau
(Chateau Batailley '06)

Fondant Chocolate Croustillant, Sorbet Cacao and Jus Mousseux
(Chateau Doysi Vedrines '06)

Gout Menu
[Chef Scott Hunnel]

Smoked Bison
(Chateauneuf du Pape Chateau Mont-Redon '08)

Lobster
(Michel Redde Sancerre '08)

Wild Loup de Mer
(Marc Kreydenweiss Kritt Gewurztraminer Les Charmes '06)

Australian Wagyu
(Chateau Gloria '03)

Vanilla Poached Pear
(Chateau Suduiraut '07)

A La Carte

Order all items from one menu (Freshness, Sea or Earth),
or pick and choose your courses.

Fraicheur/Freshness

Langoustines Royale Sauce Cesar
Royal Norway Lobster with Caesar Sauce
Chef Arnaud Lallement

Alaskan King Crab Cannelloni,
Hearts of Palm and Caviar Vinaigrette
Chef Scott Hunnel

Declinaison Tomate Tarte,
Tomate Glacee Basilic, Siphon Parmesan et Tomate
Variations of Tomato: Tart, Iced, Parmesan, Espuma and Tomato
Chef Arnaud Lallement

Smoked Bison
with Fennel Salad and Blood Oranges
Chef Scott Hunnel

Mer/Sea

Turbot Cotier "Vin Jaune" Gnocchi
Coastal Turbot with Vin Jaune and Gnocchi
Chef Arnaud Lallement

Lobster with Vanilla,
Bisque and Lobster Roe Foam
Chef Scott Hunnel

Saint Pierre Chorizo Espuma,
Carotte Epicee John Dory with Chorizo Espuma and Spicy Carrot Mouse
Chef Arnaud Lallement

Wild Loup de Mer
with Cannellini Bean Sauce, Artichokes and Jamon Iberico
Chef Scott Hunnel

Terre/Earth

Pigeonneau Tourte, Foie Gras, Tomate et Epinards
Young Pigeon Pie with Foie Gras, spinach and Tomato
Chef Arnaud Lallement

Australian Wagyu
with Garlic-Potato Puree and Petit Carrots
Chef Scott Hunnel

Cochon Cul Noir
Pomme de Terre, au Siffon, Pied de Cochon, Salade
Black Pork Loin with Siffon Potato, Pork Trotter Stew and Glazed Ham
Chef Arnaud Lallement

Veal Tenderloin
Sweetbreads and Braised Shank with Marble Potatoes
Chef Scott Hunnel

Dessert

Fondant Chocolat Croustillant,
Sorbet Cacao and Jus Mousseux Dark Chocolate, Praline, Cococa Sherbet

White Chocolate and Meyer Lemon Purse
With Blackberry-Violet Sherbet

Croquant Acidulé Sorbet Citron,
Lemon Acidule`bite, Lemon Sherbet Chef Siegrist (A. Lallement)

Vanilla Poached Pear
With Cassis Mousse and Hazelnut Meringue

Don’t know about y’all, but coming form a family that considered a bowl of pinto beans along with some cornbread for sopping up the drippings to be high-end dinning, this menu just makes my head spin.

B16-024.jpg

[Don’t know about y’all, but coming form a family that considered a bowl of pinto beans along with some cornbread for sopping up the drippings to be high-end dinning, this menu just makes my head spin.
[/CENTER]
I wouldn't fit in very well there... Our CEO took us out to dinner Monday night in Chicago and fed us old steaks. The freshest ribeye on the menu was a month old.:scared1: :rotfl:

Sure wouldn't have picked it myself, but I'm glad I was invited.:lmao: He even picked out appetizers and wine for us. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but the bottles kept showing up:confused3. I didn't see that bill for 11 of us to eat there, but I'm sure it was a hefty percentage of my salary.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Anyway, I guess I went a little off-topic too, but you started it.:lmao:

Don’t know about y’all, but coming form a family that considered a bowl of pinto beans along with some cornbread for sopping up the drippings to be high-end dinning, this menu just makes my head spin.

No kidding, I think I would just be doing alot of pointing at everything. Gimme some of that however you say it and a little of the yellow!

So you found a mistake on Disney's part, and somehow turned that into this special feature detailing the entire history of Venetian gondolas?! I don't know how to respond to this, other than:

:worship::worship:

I salute you, sir! And the history was pretty interesting, too.

::yes:: :rotfl2:

I'm afraid I would get into that place, stare at the menu, and then just start laughing. Then I'd start making fun of the stuff I couldn't pronounce, and eventually my family and I would be removed from the premises. So it's probably just as well that I stick with diners.

I wouldn't fit in very well there... Our CEO took us out to dinner Monday night in Chicago and fed us old steaks. The freshest ribeye on the menu was a month old.:scared1: :rotfl:

Sure wouldn't have picked it myself, but I'm glad I was invited.:lmao: He even picked out appetizers and wine for us. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but the bottles kept showing up:confused3. I didn't see that bill for 11 of us to eat there, but I'm sure it was a hefty percentage of my salary.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I love this TR. Fwiw, I wouldn't fit in there at all either. I've eaten at Morton's once, on the tab of a place I used to work, where I was TOLD to eat whatever I wanted. As I saw everyone else choose $80-90 plates I did the same and had a $100 steak meal. I remember that it was good, but only marginally better than the redneck sous vide steak that we made for Independence day. I plan on doing the next with truffle butter and it should set me back, for all 4 of us, at about $60. That versus $300 or more? I'll do it at home anyday!

Started what? And while were at it… what’s this “topic” thing of which you speak?

But, I liked hearing the story…

No kidding, I think I would just be doing alot of pointing at everything. Gimme some of that however you say it and a little of the yellow!

Careful with the yellow stuff… it just might be snow. And, I wouldn’t put it beyond a trained chef to even consider such a thing (someone actually took time to derive the concept of “Civet Coffee”).

So you found a mistake on Disney's part, and somehow turned that into this special feature detailing the entire history of Venetian gondolas?! I don't know how to respond to this, other than:

:worship::worship:

I salute you, sir! And the history was pretty interesting, too.

Thank you.

Frightening how my mind works… ain’t it? It’s so rare that Disney will miss a detail, that I just couldn’t resist. They’ve been known to, let’s say, clean up a detail in a story to make it more suitable for the little ones, but it’s rare that the masters of themeing just simply miss interpret one .

I'm afraid I would get into that place, stare at the menu, and then just start laughing. Then I'd start making fun of the stuff I couldn't pronounce, and eventually my family and I would be removed from the premises. So it's probably just as well that I stick with diners.

And I’d love to read about it in an Oblivious TR. Actually, I suspect, that’s exactly how it would go down if I dared spend the bucks to dine at Remy. Now Palo is a different story. I may try that one next time I get the chance, but I don’t think I could even have a straight faced conversation with a “sommelier”.

I love this TR. Fwiw, I wouldn't fit in there at all either. I've eaten at Morton's once, on the tab of a place I used to work, where I was TOLD to eat whatever I wanted. As I saw everyone else choose $80-90 plates I did the same and had a $100 steak meal. I remember that it was good, but only marginally better than the redneck sous vide steak that we made for Independence day. I plan on doing the next with truffle butter and it should set me back, for all 4 of us, at about $60. That versus $300 or more? I'll do it at home anyday!

Thanks for joining in Ian. I like you idea of a high-end dining experience better as well. One of these days, I need to get myself a new grill and get back to cooking out more often.

Chapter 7:
The tail of: “The Tale” - Day 4 (Wednesday)

Part 7: Are you noticing a pattern here?

D07-701-1.jpg

There are many kinds of patterns; visual patterns, musical patterns, patterns of behavior, modus operandi, SOP… you get the idea. Patterns are common. One tree’s leaves will very in size, but the design will be the same throughout its entire canopy. The same it true for flowers and even something as apparently random as twigs and branches. This fact is not confined to natural phenomena. One of the great hallmarks of the human brain it to recognize patterns. The urge to do so is so strong that even in a situation when none exists, we’ll force one upon it. This is why we see images in clouds or inkblots or even apparently random shapes splattered on a page.

D07-702.jpg

We are driven to apply a comfortable familiar explanation onto what ever it is that we’re experiencing.

Careful readers of this TR, will notice several patterns. Actually so will the carless readers (some of them are hard to miss). The one that pertains most to our experience aboard the Dream is that after dinner is over, we’re pretty much done for the day. Not overly surprising, as we are in the late dining rotation and we’re not all that big on hitting the nightclub scene down on Deck-4. Given the precedents set thus far on our travels, it should come as no real surprise that once we’d left the Enchanted Garden we were basically done for the day. As was also out pattern, we did take a little stroll around the Promenade to enjoy the evening air and watch the water just a bit, but after that it was time to settle in for the evening. Don’t feel bad for us though… relaxing is a major part of the shipboard experience in the first place. We were merely taking advantage of the opportunity.

Once back to our cabin, we were greeted by out “towel-critter” of the day and of course a few “Sleepy” chocolates and an updated Ships Navigator.

D07-703.jpg

Our steward was very thorough and quite stealthy. I didn’t even see him in the hallways until the last day, but I also never had a problem with his work in maintaining our cabin (I really couldn’t demand more, so you could say that he earned his tip). Each evening the room was straight, and the beds were well turned and inviting. Actually now that I think of it, here’s a picture of the couch once it’s converted into a single bed (so that you will have a clear idea of what to expect.

D07-704.jpg

Some cabins also have a similar single bed that folds up into the ceiling. Max has made ample us of both verities and reports that they are fairly comfortable and plenty roomy.

OK… next pattern. I know that y’all are very aware that I’m fond of throwing an image at the top of each post to give it a bit of a jump start (and to give you something visual that will help compensate for the appalling writing that is to follow). I also like to have a theme of some kind that ties into that day’s events in some fashion.

NASA - for our first day leaving out of Port Canaveral…
POTC - for the first day at a mythical island…
007 – for our day of intrigue of undercover operations in Nassau…

Those were all pretty straight forward, but what exactly was the pattern for our sea day. Well… the obvious answer is “scenes form some of Walt’s earlier short films”. True… but there was just a bit more to it. On this particular day, our hosts had a theme running through all of the events for the day as well. A bit of a “pattern”… if you will. So what was that theme? How about a blatant hint…

D07-502.jpg

From the events leading up to the “Golden Mickey’s” to the pomp of formal night, the entire day was designed to immerse you in the feel of one of Tinsel-Towns most revered events: the Academy Awards. These little statuettes have made their way into the vaults at Disney on many occasions, and Walt received an impressive number of them early on in his career as the producer of many beloved pieces of animation. Here’s a list of the Oscar winning shorts that I chose to represent in the various parts of this chapter (all of which won for “Short Subject, Cartoons”)…

Part-2: Ferdinand the Bull (1938)
Part-3: Flowers and Trees (1932)
Part-4: The Old Mill (1937)
Part-5: Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom (1953)
Part-6: The Country Cousin (1936)

And of course… this final part of Chapter 7:

Part-7: Lend a Paw (1941)

Actually… there is another movie related “pattern” hidden within the confines of this TR. It’s a little something taken (well… stolen) for another Oscar winning film (although not a Disney one). It’s actually stuck out there in plain sight, but it may not be obvious except to serious film buffs. There is no prize for figuring it out beyond that satisfaction of having caught me, but I’ll be curious to see if anyone wants to waste their time attempting to find it. Tell you what… I’ll even toss out another clue on this pattern in my next post. Actually, I’ll give you a clue in every one of the updates to follow. It’s even possible, that I’ve been doing exactly that in every update so far. There’s really no telling for sure. Why do I do these things? I don’t know… maybe it’s the voices.

D07-705-1.jpg

I really don’t have a better explanation for any of the pointless things I do. Anyway… we’ve reached the end of our fourth wonderful day aboard the Disney Dream. Tomorrow we’re returning to that mysterious island that can not be found except by those that already know where it is (well, them and everyone that cares to cruise with the fine folks at DCL). Another day… another theme… what will it be?

No… really! What will my next theme be? I have no clue at this point. You could say I’m somewhat stumped for an idea. Care to make a suggestion or two? I’d be interested in what y’all have to say on the subject. Of course, you can just leave me to my own devices, but that’s generally a bad idea.

Good things rarely come of it.

A1-036.jpg

Hmmm...it's either a dog sniffing the ground, or a Jackson Pollock painting.

The one that pertains most to our experience aboard the Dream is that after dinner is over, we’re pretty much done for the day. Not overly surprising, as we are in the late dining rotation and we’re not all that big on hitting the nightclub scene down on Deck-4.

We weren't big on the nightclub thing either. I liked sitting and staring out at the sea at night. Nothing visible except for whatever was lit by the ship's interior lights. Very eerie.

Some cabins also have a similar single bed that folds up into the ceiling. Max has made ample us of both verities and reports that they are fairly comfortable and plenty roomy.

Our kids fought---excuse me, clamored for the right to use the pull-down bed every night.

Actually… there is another movie related “pattern” hidden within the confines of this TR. It’s a little something taken (well… stolen) for another Oscar winning film (although not a Disney one).

It’s even possible, that I’ve been doing exactly that in every update so far. There’s really no telling for sure. Why do I do these things? I don’t know… maybe it’s the voices.

Great, now I'm gonna feel like a dope when I miss this one. Voices? on the Dream? Field of Dreams? :confused3

For your next theme, I suggest some combination of bacon, football, and explosions. :thumbsup2

Hmmm...it's either a dog sniffing the ground, or a Jackson Pollock painting.

Hmmmm… well… if it were Pollock, then not even the most imaginative human could find a pattern in it.

We weren't big on the nightclub thing either. I liked sitting and staring out at the sea at night. Nothing visible except for whatever was lit by the ship's interior lights. Very eerie.

Eerie is a good word for it; ethereal and other-worldly come to mind as well. It’s the kind of thing that will lead you to wonder: “just what exactly IS my place in the world”? Moments of contemplation like that can put reality into a different perspective, and I need to keep tabs on my perspective on a regular bases (or I’ll let outside forces rule my thoughts and shutout all of the light).

Our kids fought---excuse me, clamored for the right to use the pull-down bed every night.

I bet they did some world class clamoring too.

The time we had one of those contraptions in our cabin was our first excursion aboard the Wonder (Cabin 5520). That’s the biggest stateroom I’ve ever had (but, so long as I’m on the ship… I don’t care about that), and although the couch made a perfectly acceptable bed that didn’t have to be climbed into… there was just something fun about the hide-a-way berth that appealed to my younger boy.

Great, now I'm gonna feel like a dope when I miss this one. Voices? on the Dream? Field of Dreams? :confused3

Don’t over work it. It’s not really all that novel and it is in plain site within each part of the actual chapter posts. But… I also wouldn’t be surprised if no one catches it (as it’s a bit trivial… OK, a lot trivial). The start of the next chapter should provide a larger clue and the one after that (the last one) will likely give it away.

All that being said, I suspect you have the best shot at picking up on it (unless maybe Glen were, for some odd reason, to be following along with my TR… but I doubt that).

For your next theme, I suggest some combination of bacon, football, and explosions. :thumbsup2

Gott’a tell ya’… I didn’t see that one coming. :rolleyes:

Hummmm… so the question is: how do I relate these fine concepts to a resort island. That’s a tough one. Now I was planning on at least one of those ideas making a major appearance (or two, or three) in at least one of the TRs that I’m currently working on. I’ll have to consider this a bit more.

I'll have to try to slip back later to go through in detail and rip you via multi-post. Just no time today.

I’ll wait. I’m likely to work on the other TR over the next few days, so you’ve got time to sharpen you claws and dig in to this one at your leisure (for now…).

I just wanted to say that this picture looks like one of those scannable codes that you're supposed to be able to scan with a smart phone. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Who says it’s not. Go on ahead and bust out you iPhone and give it a try.

Just keep the immortal words of Admiral Ackbar in mind as you do so.

Hummmm… so the question is: how do I relate these fine concepts to a resort island. That’s a tough one. Now I was planning on at least one of those ideas making a major appearance (or two, or three) in at least one of the TRs that I’m currently working on. I’ll have to consider this a bit more.

As an alternate theme, I do recall seeing a certain movie about a guy stranded on a remote tropical island that may or may not have shared a name with Disney's island...:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter