Expensive watch taken from room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not entirely sure I would expect the hotel to jump immediately and call the police when a guest reports something missing from the room. Sounds like the OP expected that either her husband or the hotel would call and make a report, since she was overwhelmed with getting ready to leave, and they didn't report it to the hotel until they were on the way out the door and she expected immediate action. Apparently her husband still hasn't made a report. As the property owner, yes, you should make a report to the sheriff's office (not sure if AKL is in Osceola or Orange county, I think only the All Stars are in Osceola.). You are best able to describe the property and when and where it was last seen.

If for nothing else, so they can determine whether there is a pattern of thefts from resort rooms. That's how they caught the housekeeper at the All-Stars recently who was taking money from guest rooms. If the watch was indeed stolen, it's not likely he will get it back.

Guess ill be sleeping with one she open in 13 days!

When you are in the room, use the bolt and the latch.

I hope you did report that. I would have dialed a manager right there as she was apologizing.

I would have been freaking out and reported it. Esp. To find a stranger lying on a bed I paid for and will sleep in later. Only to speculate here, but maybe they were getting the nasty on?? She happened to be coming out of the bath after cleaning up and him chilling by the TV???

OP: I am sorry you had a watch stolen. It is NOT too late to call the police in Florida. File a report. It would help if you had a picture, detailed description, and a receipt.

When you have the police report you can make a claim on your homeowners or renters insurance.

Forward the report to Disney.

As to anyone's suggestion that you have a low opinion of your husband, I did not perceive that at all. You just seemed frustrated that when you DID trust your husband he did not follow through in the manner you anticipated.

Is it prudent to take extra care and caution? Yes. Will I summarily brand you a simpleton or somehow in the wrong for having been the victim of a crime...NO.

I am not omniscient. I have no idea if the tiny safe was already filled with other items of value such as notebook computers, jewelry, and cameras. Perhaps your husband had taken off the watch to wash his hands or take a shower and forgot it there, not leaving in intentionally. Perhaps he was just in the Disney bubble and did not take the extra minute to utilize the safe.

Whether or not you utilized the safe, you are the victim of a property crime.

At no point did you call for someone to be summarily fired, nor did you suggest that an investigation was irrelevant. You simply stated you were disappointed that Disney employees wanted to go forward as if your item were lost as opposed to stolen.

Totally agree.

I had my (cheap) wallet stolen at work with $10 in it. Seriously, I would have given $10 to anyone of my coworkers. Of course, this was right before a vacation, so I had to scramble to get a new ID and new cards. We had our house burglarized.

While those things were not our fault. We are now much more careful, as I am sure OP and her DH will be.

We have homeowner's insurance with a separate policy for jewelry-basically just my engagement ring as all other jewelry is left at home in a very large fireproof safe.

We don't take so many electronics on vacation. Our smartphones (always with us) and maybe a Kindle or DS' Nintendo DS-all of which could be replaced for less than $200.

We have identity theft insurance.

We don't carry much cash.

True!

Nothing was stolen but I got a scare a few years ago at CSR when I was traveling solo. I had left the room, went to DS, but almost immediately started feeling ill, so turned around and went back to my room. I hadn't been gone, but maybe an hour or so. Anyway, I was in my own little world, in deep thought, when I unlocked my door and stepped in to find a man lying on my bed watching TV. I screamed bloody murder and a housekeeper came running out of the bathroom, apologizing profusely. Apparently the man was a friend of hers just visiting and she'd let him into the room while she was cleaning.:eek: I didn't think the housekeepers were in the rooms long enough to have a guest get that comfortable.:eek::furious: You could tell she thought I might tell on her and just kept apologizing, asking me not to tell her supervisors, saying that was the first time it had ever occurred. Again nothing was stolen and other than almost giving me a heart attack no harm was done, but that "friend" could have easily walked out of that room with anything he wanted while the housekeeper was in the bathroom cleaning.

I would most certainly have reported it!!! When we were checking into AKL-Kidani, we had to wait for hours to get into our room...I realize that rooms aren't supposed to be ready until 4 but when you get there at 10am and you see others checking in and getting into their rooms, it's annoying to have to wait. So we kept checking back...finally around 3:30 we got the text that the room was now ready. So up we went, only to find a notice on our door that said the room was being serviced and please excuse the inconvenience. Well....dh knocked on the door, and then used his room key to get in. There was the housekeeper, plopped down on the sofa, watching tv!!! She hopped up, grabbed her broom, turned off the tv!! She thanked us for knocking and said...really, she said this....that she was close to the end of her shift and was 'killing time' until she went home!!!! She hurried out of the villa. Now, there was an empty, used paper coffee cup stashed behind a lamp on the table in the living room, used tissues on the master bedroom floor and the toilet didn't flush!!! I did report the incident when we went back down to the lobby but the CM didn't really seem to care very much. So, I sent along an email when I got home. I did get a call back. that CM was horrified!

So,, yeah it happens. Most of the housekeepers I have had have been very good. But, it only takes one or two bad apples to color everyone's thinking.

My DD's full size pillow in a flowered pillowcase ended up missing on our last day at YC. We went to the front desk and filled our a form and asked them to check with the laundry, figuring it went out with the change of linens. Two weeks later we get a box from Disney with her pillowcase on a brand new pillow. Things that end up in the laundry do get found. I hope you asked the manager to check the laundry, OP, as I can see it getting picked up accidentally when collecting the towels (if left on bathroom sink area) or ending up with the sheets if he got swept of the bedside table.

I've been working in the tourism industry for more than 10 years, especially hotels. You would never believe the number of guests that report things missing and jump at the conclusion that it was stolen. I just had a man who said he couldn't find his wallet and that one of the housekeeping staff sure did stole it. When I went to the room to help him look before filing a stolen report, we found the wallet in one of the drawers...he didn't remember putting it there!

So, while I do agree that it might not have been the best way to handle the situation, I do believe you have to at least make sure it wasn't lost, or misplaced before filing a stolen report. You do have to investigate.

I rarely take any jewelry of great value with me. I do have my camera and lenses in a bag, but the bag is always with me when I leave the room. I've never had anything stolen from any of my vacations, be at WDW or other places. But, you never know.

We put valuables in the suitcase and place our own lock on it. Unless they take the whole suitcase with them, our stuff is pretty safe.

I've been working in the tourism industry for more than 10 years, especially hotels. You would never believe the number of guests that report things missing and jump at the conclusion that it was stolen. I just had a man who said he couldn't find his wallet and that one of the housekeeping staff sure did stole it. When I went to the room to help him look before filing a stolen report, we found the wallet in one of the drawers...he didn't remember putting it there!

So, while I do agree that it might not have been the best way to handle the situation, I do believe you have to at least make sure it wasn't lost, or misplaced before filing a stolen report. You do have to investigate.

I rarely take any jewelry of great value with me. I do have my camera and lenses in a bag, but the bag is always with me when I leave the room. I've never had anything stolen from any of my vacations, be at WDW or other places. But, you never know.
OP here: As I said, we never accused anyone specifically because we don't know who stole the watch, but we know that someone stole the watch. We were only there for a couple of days and didn't even really unpack, so it was easy to go through all the nooks and crannies in the room and around the furniture carefully. All I said to the staff was that it had to have been taken from the room by someone else because I went through the room very carefully several times. I don't believe we will ever get the watch back and my homeowner's insurance doesn't cover valuables stolen or lost outside of my home. Oh, and it never occurred to me that a housekeeper might've been hanging out in the room watching TV. She went in for the evening turndown service and I wouldn't think she'd have enough time to hang out with all the rooms she's responsible for.

OP here: As I said, we never accused anyone specifically because we don't know who stole the watch, but we know that someone stole the watch. We were only there for a couple of days and didn't even really unpack, so it was easy to go through all the nooks and crannies in the room and around the furniture carefully. All I said to the staff was that it had to have been taken from the room by someone else because I went through the room very carefully several times. I don't believe we will ever get the watch back and my homeowner's insurance doesn't cover valuables stolen or lost outside of my home. Oh, and it never occurred to me that a housekeeper might've been hanging out in the room watching TV. She went in for the evening turndown service and I wouldn't think she'd have enough time to hang out with all the rooms she's responsible for.

You should definitely file a police report. You will probably never see the watch again BUT if it were to go through a pawn store, this is a very, very small chance that you could see it again (if you have serial numbers).

Most homeowner's offers special policies for jewelry (that you have to pay additionally for). I know ours will cover if lost or stolen ANYwhere and it doesn't "ding" our insurance or have a deductible.

Even things "in the little safe" in your room are not safe or secure. Have you seen the news in the past 24 hours? A maid was caught on video stealing from a SAFE at All Star Music! They have the master code. And yes I realize someone other than housekeeping could have stolen the watch...but that is unlikely.

:thumbsup2 EXACTLY!!!!

OP---did you have travel insurance? That might cover the loss instead of home owner's.

We are the opposite when it comes to valuables. We forget valuables and CMs bring them to us. DH left his wedding band in the safe on the Disney Magic; Disney fed exed the ring back to us. Another time I left my wallet on the table at the Kona Cafe and the waiter brought it out to me. It had $800 and all my credit cards in it.

We saw an impressive security measure at the Ritz Carlton in Naples. We returned to our room and it was being cleaned. We tried to walk in and the housekeeper said, "I am sorry, but you must put your key in the door, before I let you enter." she made sure we really were the guests for that room before we were allowed into the room. I don't know if Mousekeeping does this, but they should if the don't.

If you rely on hotel safes get a Milockie safe lock. They cost about $50 and let you add your own lock to the hotel's in-room safe.

Personally, I have an android tablet and a bluetooth webcam that work together to surveil my room while I'm out of it. I travel with some expensive equipment and much of it won't fit in a hotel safe. So I lock it to the furniture and fire up my motion tracker. I get a txt with a photo everytime someone goes into my room while we're out. I let the mousekeeper know the room is watched so she doesn't do anything embarrassing and then I just don't worry about it.

This is the 2nd time I've seen the tip to put a strip of tape over your safe to make sure no one opened it while you were gone.

Can the burglar not just peel the tape off carefully and replace it? :confused3

(NOT trying to be snarky! Honestly curious-- I'm trying to pick up any traveling tricks as I go!)

I was just at All Star Music. My safe had a key, not a keypad. Pretty sure placing a watch in a safe is 99 times safer than NOT placing it in a safe. The odds that someone will break into your safe are a lot smaller than if you carelessly leave expensive items out where they can just be picked up. Common sense.

My safes at Pop and AKL had a key, too. We usually use the safe but were too lazy this last trip. And honestly, we had nothing of value on us. My credit card and cash stayed in my purse the whole time, we don't wear any jewelry, and there are no electronics to be had in my family...so we were covered.

The plastic piece from the locks is just a cover. Whether it is on or off has no impact as to the security of the actual lock. The lock will still stay locked, even if the cover is off, unless an authorized key is touched to the lock.

As for how the plastic piece made it's way to the middle of the room ... perhaps someone saw it in the hall, and kicked it under the door so it wouldn't get lost?

Regarding the missing watch ... Have you carefully unpacked everything you took with you? Is it possible that the watch may have accidentally been tossed into someone's suitcase or bag as you were in the middle of packing up?

True!

Nothing was stolen but I got a scare a few years ago at CSR when I was traveling solo. I had left the room, went to DS, but almost immediately started feeling ill, so turned around and went back to my room. I hadn't been gone, but maybe an hour or so. Anyway, I was in my own little world, in deep thought, when I unlocked my door and stepped in to find a man lying on my bed watching TV. I screamed bloody murder and a housekeeper came running out of the bathroom, apologizing profusely. Apparently the man was a friend of hers just visiting and she'd let him into the room while she was cleaning.:eek: I didn't think the housekeepers were in the rooms long enough to have a guest get that comfortable.:eek::furious: You could tell she thought I might tell on her and just kept apologizing, asking me not to tell her supervisors, saying that was the first time it had ever occurred. Again nothing was stolen and other than almost giving me a heart attack no harm was done, but that "friend" could have easily walked out of that room with anything he wanted while the housekeeper was in the bathroom cleaning.

I would have reported that incident immediately. We have to trust the housekeepers and now we have to trust friends they being along?

You should definitely make a police report online now. It certainly can't hurt and then maybe Disney will take it more seriously.

I've never had anything taken in a hotel room and I used to travel a lot for work with loads of electronics. I did have my handicapped parking tag stolen from my car. I made a police report and had to fill forms to get it replaced. I know now to lock my car even if it is in my driveway! I had it in the compartment on the passenger side of the car, it was the only thing in the car to take.

Yes, obviously I do that. I was joking . (And mistyping)

I would have been freaking out and reported it. Esp. To find a stranger lying on a bed I paid for and will sleep in later. Only to speculate here, but maybe they were getting the nasty on?? She happened to be coming out of the bath after cleaning up and him chilling by the TV???

Oh Lordy... While clearly a possibility I didn't need that suspicion running through mind for all hotel stays henceforth.

Guess ill have To give all the housekeepers a side eye glance and make sure none of them have a little extra pep in their step :rolleyes1

Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena :

Doesn't do much good really. Both can be popped by anyone who wants to and can use a computer to view some youtube videos on how to do it. If yo worry about people coming in while you are there I can reccomend a product like addalock.

I normally don't worry about it and figure someone busting into my room is going to have an unlucky day. Then I took a trip to Romania and my field agent representative (staying in hotel room next door to mine) was the targeted of an an attempted kidnapping, not a random target either.

After that I researched the issue and have used addalock on occasion since.

The tape on the safe comment made me curious, found this...guess savvy travelers with need to travel with money have come up with interesting ways to protect it! Not sure if I'd go this far, but it is an interesting read!

So, we searched around for the best and most clever advice for hiding at least some of your money in your hotel room, in your rental car, and on your person. For many of these 007-style moves, you’ll need:
1.a few small zippered plastic bags
2.some tape, like duct tape
3.a small screwdriver
4.a rubber band or two

Once you’ve separated your cash into piles and put them into separate zippered bags, squeeze the extra air out of the bags and let’s start hiding!

In your hotel room

Many travelers don’t trust the in-room safes because there’s always a way they can be opened. Often, and especially on cruise ships, they often have a common code that is well-known by the staff who must help travelers who forget how to open their safes.

Some hotels now offer newer in-room safes that let travelers set their own code. These are more secure, but in a pinch, it’s still likely that they can be opened by someone on the hotel staff.

Here are the most clever recommendations we could find for hiding money in a hotel room:
◾Inside the shower curtain rod
◾Inside zippered cushions on chairs in the room
◾Inside the frame of older televisions – use the screwdriver to take off the back
◾Inside older telephones – use your screwdriver here too
◾Taped to the bottom of a drawer – use the bottom drawer, it’s harder to reach
◾Inside the cover on the ironing board
◾Taped to the bottom of a heavy piece of furniture in the room
◾Dropped inside the toilet tank
◾Inside an empty shampoo bottle with a little tissue paper on top
◾Under the mattress – pushed to the center, and only after the bed has been made for the day

We even read recommendations of cutting the hems of window curtains and storing cash in there, or pulling up the carpet in the corner of the closet and storing cash in there. Now we know why some hotels look a little on the ratty side! But we don’t recommend destroying property to store your cash.

Just make sure you remember where you hid all your money and give yourself a little extra time before you leave to retrieve it from the hiding places!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter