Expensive watch taken from room

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by criscoloo, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristine316

Kristine316 Mouseketeer

I would have loved to have been there to see the look on the maid's face when your phone started ringing... :rotfl:

I bet the maid wanted to crawl under a rock. Oh so sad for the her. Score one for the good guys.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. lylone

lylone All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura

We do this also. Usually the "items" are under dirty clothes. I would think it would be odd to see someone take a whole suitcase. Not saying that anyone would steal things...but at least we can make it less "tempting".

4. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

Why is it no one ever LOSES anything? It's always "someone stole it" even though we don't really seem to know where it was last etc......

As someone who has worked on the fringes of loss prevention... it's amazing that (A) everything is "valuable" (even more amazing when we find the "top of the line camera that costs thousands" and it turns out to be a $49.99 model. Most folks don't even have the decency to be embarrassed by their lies) or (B) it was stolen (And then when we say "where was it last" they don't know. "when did you last see it" They don't know etc.... )

One guy who wanted us to prosecute did finally have the decency to call back and tell us "I found it at home I guess I never packed it" :rotfl2: Of course he had spent HOURS trying to get staff members arrested, but....

Seriously if I leave something out in a hotel or lose it then the person I blame is me. And yes, I have left and lost things in hotel rooms.

5. Ninja Mom

Ninja Mom Atention People of Earth, I come in Peace

+1 and good luck with getting everything resolved. Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm sorry some people feel the need to read into your situation in an inappropriate manner.

~NM

6. sndral

sndral DIS Veteran

I don't see much evidence that the watch was stolen, although it is clear OP has convinced herself that someone (probably the housekeeper she had a 'gut' feeling about) has stolen her husband's watch. Perhaps - but it is as likely that it was lost or misplaced. We have no information about when he last wore it, which would help narrow where the watch was likely to have disappeared - the fact that OP searched the room thoroughly before checking out is less helpful than knowing exactly when husband last wore the watch - did he take it off to go swimming, ride a wet ride, etc..
    It's also possible that the latch of the watch broke and it fell off somewhere I once had a very valuable diamond fall out of it's setting.
    And as mentioned OP indicates she has 2 children requiring her attention - maybe one of them played w/ daddy's watch and lost it.
    Hopefully the watch was lost and will find it's way home (as my diamond did 2 months after falling out.) If the housekeeper had sticky fingers Disney will be keeping track and take appropriate steps.

7. Port Orleans fan

Port Orleans fan Over tipping is a fools game.....so have fun playi

I have no fear of anything being lost or stolen from our room.

We basically live out of our suitcases and keep all of our bags locked up 24 hours a day. If we need to go in to one of our bags to get something, the lock goes right back on as soon as we are finished.

We also make sure that our room is spotless (make beds, dispose of garbage, clean counter top, pile suitcases neatly in a corner, etc). This way nothing is missed and all personal property is put away.

As far as the safe is concerned, I leave all of my money in it. But I also have a trick to that as well. If let's say I have $1000 cash, I keep it in a bank envelop with an elastic band wrapped around it. I also have a signed chain of command system set up when removing money from the safe. On a piece of paper attached to the envelop, I (or DW) record the amount taken and date/sign it. Our money gets counted each and every night before going to bed. Someone (maid, Disney employee) would be stupid to think that we wouldn't notice a $20 bill missing.

8. lacy1101

lacy1101 DIS Veteran

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

Several years ago, my wedding band and engagement ring went missing. We were not traveling at the time either. It wasn't until a couple of months later that I discovered them in a piece of luggage. Seems we had returned from a trip and after unpacking, had left a couple of pieces of luggage lying around the bedroom before storing them in the attic. Our daughter who was a toddler at the time, must have picked my rings up off my dresser and put them in the zipper pocket of the suitcase. Not sure how old the OP's children are, but something to think about . . .

Also, a boss of mine one time returned from a trip out of the country and insisted that his wife's pearls had been stolen by the hotel staff. A few weeks later, they found them in a makeup or jewelry bag that she normally didn't store them in. Not sure if she put them there in haste or what, but, again, it may be worth going through every piece of luggage, every little bag, etc. to make sure it didn't wind up in there somehow.

OP, hope the watch finds its way back to you! :)

9. carrie1626

carrie1626 DIS Veteran

What else did you expect supervisor to do?
    Where was the expensive watch last set down?

10. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

So did you file a police report? Probably will not get the watch back but at least there's a record of it in case there are other incidents.

11. d1sn3yguy

d1sn3yguy Earning My Ears

"Some people seem to get Disney Brain and think nothing bad happens on Disney property. Just take a look at all of the stuff left behind in strollers, and you will see what I mean."

This reminds me of the last trip we took in May 2013.....we came out of the aquarium building in Epcot and there were squirrels in the diaper bags that people had left in their strollers! The squirrels were actually eating all types of snacks that were down inside the bags in the strollers and I don't think that people would have even noticed because the little guys were going from stroller to stroller fairly quickly! One of the the funniest things I had seen in the stroller parking area but kind of scary really when you realize they were in the actual diaper bags and removing items! We brought it to the attention of the CM at the parking area. But if you came outside and saw that your bag had been gone through I doubt you would have thought it was a squirrel! I sure wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself!

12. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Are you sure it was even the same person? My experience with turn down service is that - primarily because of the time of day - the staffing is different. The daytime room cleaners generally aren't the same people who are still there in the evening to provide this extra service.

13. gwynne

gwynne Be always blooming

That has been our experience, too. As repeat guests, there are a two resorts where we've gotten to know a couple of the daytime housekeepers-very nice, helpful and kind people. They remember us from previous trips. They are not there by the time turndown rolls around.

14. dmccarty

dmccarty DIS Veteran

I don't like house keeping in the room, and since we are in DVC, they will only clean a few times depending on the length of our stay. Our last trip was to VBR and I put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door on our first day and took it off when we left.

Mouse Keeping left us a message one day asking us to schedule a room visit but we never called back. They would only clean for one day anyway on that visit so we did not miss the cleaning.

If we needed new towels or TP we just asked CM's in for more.

This does not prevent a theft but it does make it a bit more difficult.

Later,
    Dan

15. rockingrollercoaster

rockingrollercoaster Mouseketeer

it was a "very" expensive watch? Can I ask why you would take a "very" expensive watch to a hotel and not wear it and not know it's wear abouts at least every time you came back to the room???

If you had a gut feeling about the housekeeper, why would you leave this "very' expensive watch in the room without you?

:rolleyes1

My gut feeling is, you lost it.:thumbsup2

16. rockingrollercoaster

rockingrollercoaster Mouseketeer

Your one smart little cookie.............kudos to you! Do you use luggage locks or other types of locks on your suit cases?

17. georgina

georgina I dream of Mousey with the big black ears

Like dmccarty, I am uncomfortable with people being in my room. We keep the do not disturb sign on at all times. I usually ask the housekeeping staff once during our stay to empty the trash and replace the towels while we are there. I know someone posted earlier that wouldn't prevent maintenance from entering, but I feel better with less traffic in the room. I have no need for someone to make my bed or vacuum on a daily basis.

18. gwynne

gwynne Be always blooming

I think everyone should do what makes them comfortable.

We travel frequently. We enjoy our hotel stays, and appreciate the housekeepers stopping by. It works for us. :goodvibes

That said, I don't bring "very expensive" items with us when we travel. I sort of have the same guidelines for travel that I used to use when the kids asked to take things for show and tell. Is it very expensive? Sentimental? Hard to replace? If so, it stays home. ;)

19. angierae

angierae DIS Veteran

We also generally leave the do not disturb sign up. Disney housekeeping usually leaves a bag of towels hanging on the door for us.

20. Port Orleans fan

Port Orleans fan Over tipping is a fools game.....so have fun playi

We use TSA luggage locks. We never travel without them. The locks go on our luggage (including carry on) before being loaded into the airport limo, and doesn't come off until we get back home. I rather be safe than sorry.

21. Janet-TX

Janet-TX Wishing On A Star

I was given this advice many years ago and I think it still holds true. Don't take expensive watches or jewelry when you travel (or anything that you would be devastated to lose and can't be replaced). I do wear my wedding rings, but never take them off. With nice costume jewelry and inexpensive watch choices, it hasn't been a problem.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.