• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Existing members shut out at VWL???

dizneeluvr

Mystery Writer
I posted this at the end of the 4 pager on BCV incentives and it may get lost there so I figured I would put it out on its own.

Called our guide Saturday just inquiring about the cost of a 50 point add on at VWL and if there was MB for a non-disney finance of it. She called back about 5 minutes from close of business (she happened to be in that afternoon finishing up some contracts) and weren't we surprised to hear that THAT day was the last possible day for existing DVCers to do an add on at VWL!! She said that once the business day closed, only new contracts would be available at VWL.

Does that seem a bit unfair to those who are willing and eager to sink more of their money into DVC? Or is this the way they finished out BWV and OKW as well? We were surprised--but since we've only been members for 10 months we didn't know if it was unusual. Needless to say, we made a rather hasty decision and added on 100. Not sure if it was the right decision but we've got 15 days right?....

Was there some sort of posting somewhere on the member website that told existing members that no more add ons would be accepted after close of business on 2/2???

Thoughts anyone?

Laura

I saw your earlier post and was puzzled by it as well. This is the opposite of what was rumored to be happening. Postings on the board indicated new contracts wouldn't be sold and ONLY DVC members would allow to purchase add-ons. You are right that shutting out DVC members does not seem right.

I think it depends upon your use year/month - my guide says that June has plenty of available left - or did last week - but some months are ready sold out -

spicey cat,

Our guide indicated that this plan to go ``new contracts only'' came on so suddenly at the end of last week that she was only able to call like 30 of her 1000 or so clients. Unless I missed something completely, she was not basing this on use year.

that is bad news!!!

I already did an add-on on VWL, but I might have added again - too late now.

Here is another example by DVC of not informing members via "e-mail" or Members web site, that would have taken "5 seconds " to send a "group e-mail" to let members be aware of changes about sales or add-on's.I hope they improve in this area in the future!!!!!!!:confused:

When we were down over New Years, a person who stayed with us decided to join DVC and purchased their own membership at VWL. We filled out the paperwork on January 4 and my guide (Bernard) told me at that time the sales of the VWL would end on Feb 3 no matter what was left to sell, etc. I have seen other posts about this on the DISboards. So this is really not a toal shock. But as always, not everyone finds out everything.

Sorry you missed out.

When OKW was on the verge of selling out, they sent letters advising us of the situation. It really stinks that they didn't do this with VWL where we have a second membership.

Fortunately, I followed the board and did our VWL add-on last weekend. My big fear was getting a different use year, not being shut out entirely.

Who knows what the logic is. I'm very disappointed that the existing VWL owners weren't notified.

I don't think DVC should be depending on e-mail or their site to inform the members. I don't think the majority of members have reached that sophistication yet. They should be sending out information on a timely basis. The postcard about the cruise didn't arrive in many homes until the cruise was booked (and it had been on the web site for several weeks prior). There hasn't been any notification that BCV sales have already begun or that it will be opening earlier than expected. They should send the e-mail to folks who have shared that info with them but they should also be sending out snail mail notices in more timely fashion.

Being overly generous I'd say maybe 500 members check this board -- there are over 60,000 members. I bet the majority of them have no idea what is happening at DVC.

PamOKW,

I agree with most of the things you are saying, but I still say they are "way behind the times" in keeping members informed. I think a postcard to all members should be the first step, and I don't mean like the Disney Cruise postcard, that half the members didn't recieve, or got late. E-mail should be used as secondary way of getting word out to the members. Also, I think more people than you think have computers and do have the sophistication to recieve e-mails. If they can afford to be DVC members and pay the yearly dues, I think most would have a Computer and an e-mail address.
Even if they don't check this board, they would still check their e-mail periodically to see if there are any updates from DVC.If DVC did keep members informed via U.S. mail and e-mail, I think it would be benificial to DVC and the current members.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if there would be a good way to make notification to 65k(?) people. As seen by the post cards, the US Mail, since bioterrorism is not reliable or efficient. How far in advance would they need to be mailed for every one to receive it within a day or so of each other.

our rep tolk us that he would send out the information we requested for a 100 pt add on (feb. 3 ) and that we would have 15 days to look it over and decide if we wanted the extention of 100 pts, but that was the last day,for the mb too.buy back 100 pts at $10.00 a pts. so now we a wait the mail.we just happened to call our rep to ask about an add on .:jester:

No disrespect to anyone with the info they have, but this new news is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what my guide told me. She said on Feb. 2nd no NEW contracts for VWL only add-ons for existing members. HMMMM????

I rest my case..........Changes need to be made about notification of members!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Actully it has been reported in several media outlets (Orlando papers) that VWL is not selling new memberships at this time so I tend to believe that all they are selling is the add ons. Plus we already have people who could not add on because their use year was sold out.

I wonder if the did get rid of MB on Vero Beach now?

I am extremely confused by this information. We just purchased our first DVC contract with 200 points at the VWL and my guide told us info contrary to the original post. This purchase just took place on Jan. 13. I was told that no new VWL contracts would be sold after 2/2 but add-ons would be available if your use year was available.

It makes absolutely no sense to sell new contracts but not add-ons. I hope this info is a misunderstanding. I have an email into my guide and hope to hear from him tomorrow.

CarolA,

I talked to my guide today, and VB MB's are still available at $10 off a pt as of today. We did our add-on last friday at VB and got ours at $13 pt off, so ours were for $62 pt.:D

i was told add ons too but, the magical beginnings buy back of 100 pts at &10.00 a pts was to end or drop down to 5.00 a pt.this is for the 2001 year pts. $1000.00 off the price is a nice chunk of change, we just got back from disney 2 weeks ago so we don't need the points for a trip this year.:smooth:

I just talked with a supervisor about 5 days ago about our options at VWL, since our December use year is sold out. He told me to stay on the wait list for possible points that got turned back in. That sure doesn't sound like add-ons weren't going to be allowed. (of course he also said nothing about the new incentives would be on the DVC web site, so ???????? who really knows)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter