Exercising but not losing!!!! UGH!!!!

Harvest02

DIS Veteran
OK, I joined a gym about 1 month ago, and all my weight has done has gone up. I really started gaining around the holidays, and am a lifetime WW member. I thought starting a gym might help(I am doing cardio about 40-60 minutes a day as well as weight lifting for 30 minutes about 3 times a week). I am back up to my original weight and I am extremely frustrated!!! Has this happened to anyone else? I am counting my points(Flex plan), and as of a few days ago I am not going to eat my AP points for the day. I don't know what else to do!!!! I am ready to scream!!! :eek: Anyone have any suggestions???

How are your clothes fitting? With added muscle mass your weight may go up and your size go down....although I know how frustrating the scale can be. Other than that I have no insight to offer....sorry...but I do understand.:hug:

How do your clothes fit? Do you measure your waist? If you're sure you're not eating too many calories and you're talking about only a pound or so, then maybe you're adding lean muscle which would be ideal. One month when I was really heavying up with the weights my body got much smaller at least a dress size smaller, and when I got on the scale I was shocked to see I'd only lost three pounds!

How are your clothes fitting? With added muscle mass your weight may go up and your size go down....although I know how frustrating the scale can be. Other than that I have no insight to offer....sorry...but I do understand.:hug:

Holy cats! We must have been posting the same thing at the same time!

You need to "shock" your body. If you are running on a treadmill, use the incline once in awhile. You cant do the same thing cause then your body gets used to it.

OK, I joined a gym about 1 month ago, and all my weight has done has gone up. I really started gaining around the holidays, and am a lifetime WW member. I thought starting a gym might help(I am doing cardio about 40-60 minutes a day as well as weight lifting for 30 minutes about 3 times a week). I am back up to my original weight and I am extremely frustrated!!! Has this happened to anyone else? I am counting my points(Flex plan), and as of a few days ago I am not going to eat my AP points for the day. I don't know what else to do!!!! I am ready to scream!!! :eek: Anyone have any suggestions???

Well,

It's been on my mind this week. :lmao: We are our last week of BL4 so I upped my exercise from normal to give it my all for the last week. And I'm up right now. So bizarre. The scale can be.

It could be so many things. If you've gained muscle then of course you weigh more. Might be as simple as that. You have to post about your clothes. I know two people who are lean, lean, lean and small and weigh what weight obsessed would go "oh I can't weigh that" :scared1: so be careful.

Or it could be that you're not eating enough. Are you upping your points for the extra exercise? EDIT: Sorry are AP points your extra points? I don't know WW that well. Kim Lyons, BL trainer, has an article in WWorld this week about exercising, eating too little and gaining 30 pounds. She was an aerobics instructor at the time. As soon as she started to eat more she lost the weight.

Or it could be that your body needs some rest and is simply rebelling. Is the cardio hard cardio? To do mix it up with slower cardio and do 7 days is one thing but harder, higher HR, 7 days out is too much. One, or even two days, day off might change things. Even regular exercisers take a day or days off. And change things up every six weeks. Change the program every now and again. WHOOPS: Edit. I see you're only a month in but still change things up.

Or maybe you have a thyroid or adrenal issue. Check that. Both can affect weight.

Frustrating. I hope you find your answer. Do tell us about your clothes and if they have changed.

Lisa

OP here - Thanks for all the insight on this subject so far. I have a scale that measures weight and body fat, but my body fat has actually gone up according to the scale(says it is 32%, when I was at goal weight with WW it was about 28%)! Go figure!:confused3 My clothes feel a little tighter, but my body does feel better overall. I also have an irregular heartbeat, and I have not noticed that as much lately. The cardio, I alter it daily. I either do like 45-60 minutes on the treadmill(4.0-4.5 speed, and 10-13 incline), or the arc trainer(the interval mode). When I do the weights, I have started doing 3 days, but 30 minutes on those days. I do an all body workout on weights(arms, legs, etc.). Any other suggestions? My diet has been far from perfect lately, and I thought about getting rid of most of my carbs, but that would not be good for the exercise, right? I eat oatmeal, banana, and peanut butter for breakfast. For lunch, usually yogurt,fruit, sandwich or salad. For dinner, it varies but I try for chicken, low fat beef, or fish with a baked potato, and fresh vegetables. I do tend to nibble a lot, which may be my issue!!! How much water should I be drinking? I do drink soda with dinner(diet), but water the rest of the day. I have a 16 oz water bottle and fill it at least 3 times during the day. What else should I do??:confused3

I have a couple of thoughts. When weight starts to sneak up on me, I "start all over." I get out the scale and measuring cups and spoons and write down everything I eat - just for a week or two. You may have answered your own question when you mentioned your nibbling; journaling will reveal this sort of thing to you and help you refocus on your program.

Also, you could kick up the treadmill routine with a few sprints. Work at 4.0 for a few minutes, then go up to 4.5 for a few, then hit 5.0 for a minute, then drop back down and repeat. You could also try increasing time and intensity.

Good luck to you.

OP here - Thanks for all the insight on this subject so far. I have a scale that measures weight and body fat, but my body fat has actually gone up according to the scale(says it is 32%, when I was at goal weight with WW it was about 28%)! Go figure!:confused3 My clothes feel a little tighter, but my body does feel better overall. I also have an irregular heartbeat, and I have not noticed that as much lately. The cardio, I alter it daily. I either do like 45-60 minutes on the treadmill(4.0-4.5 speed, and 10-13 incline), or the arc trainer(the interval mode). When I do the weights, I have started doing 3 days, but 30 minutes on those days. I do an all body workout on weights(arms, legs, etc.). Any other suggestions? My diet has been far from perfect lately, and I thought about getting rid of most of my carbs, but that would not be good for the exercise, right? I eat oatmeal, banana, and peanut butter for breakfast. For lunch, usually yogurt,fruit, sandwich or salad. For dinner, it varies but I try for chicken, low fat beef, or fish with a baked potato, and fresh vegetables. I do tend to nibble a lot, which may be my issue!!! How much water should I be drinking? I do drink soda with dinner(diet), but water the rest of the day. I have a 16 oz water bottle and fill it at least 3 times during the day. What else should I do??:confused3

Okay, well ignore some of my post now that you've added more. :lmao:

Carbs. No carbs are a necessary food especially for exercisers. You're right. Even Bob, the trainer on the BL, said a couple of weeks ago, "Low carb works for people who don't move as much. You need carbs!!!". He was upset because some of his team were afraid of carbs.

I would go for two things I mentioned. One, is that really your points for all that exercise? :confused3 It doesn't seem like a lot of food to me. Or so interesting. Forgive me for that. :hug: Remember what I said about Kim from the BL gaining 30 pounds because she wasn't eating enough and doing so much cardio. Well if you're not eating enough to work out at a certain level muscle is eaten up. And then metabolism goes down because of that. She ate way more and lost the thirty pounds. I should be quiet cause if you know your points then you know your points. I don't want to seem patronizing in any way.

Also, I am a firm believer that bodies get tired of being so regimented and strict. I don't know. I know it's not a popular belief around here at times. But I do believe it. Strongly.

I was going to suggest interval training to shake things up - shock the body. But you mentioned it already.

I do believe in off days. You seem to be working hard. Are you energized after going seven days? Because if you are tired you might be overexercising. Tiredness, despite working out, is a sign. And that could lead to an adrenal issue.

Good luck. You must be so frustrated. I would get your adrenals and thyroid checked. I would see a holistic doctor to do so if you can afford it. I've heard many stories of doctors checking with an erroneous test and not getting the proper viewpoint on what is going on. But my hunch still says possible overexercising/not eating enough for workout level.

All the best,

Lisa

Also, I am a firm believer that bodies get tired of being so regimented and strict. I don't know. I know it's not a popular belief around here at times. But I do believe it. Strongly.

Lisa

Lisa,

Your are right about this. I was stuck at the same weight for about three weeks and started working out even harder to no avail. Last week, I decided to make a few days off and ate stuff that usually makes me cringe (hamburger, fries, coke). I got back into my routine on Tuesday and not only lost what I gained by eating that crud, but I have lost an additional 4 pounds from the weight I was struggling with and am now at my original goal weight. :cool1:

This is after being on the same routine for about 3 months with not much change in my diet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter