Everything Old Is New Again! - A Dec 2010 Trip Report : THE FINAL ENTRY page 45

I remember that snowfall and how bizarre it was. I work in downtown Milwaukee and there was nothing! Glad you actually made it out of the airport that day!
That was a very weird snow. Our plane took off to the north, then circled to the west. We could see the Miller Park parking lot and there was hardly any snow in it all!

You're too kind. But I'm just the warm-up act. I had to get off the stage for the main event! popcorn::
Great, more pressure. I don't respond well to pressure.

Wow, you sprung for flashback special effects? This is obviously a high-budget TR. Who's directing? Spielberg?
Spielberg? Did not read those passages that say "I'm a cheapskate"? I got someone from the film school at the local tech college to do it. Actually, he's a dropout - they work cheaper.

I know I saw this earlier on Facebook, but I still love this picture. She looks like she's about ready to smack you right in the face with a snowball, but you'll totally let her get away with it because she's so cute.
Ahh, sad but true.

I wonder how jolly he is throughout the TSA screenings?
There's a joke in here somewhere about the full body scanner and a candy cane, but I really don't think it's DIS-friendly.

Hopefully the animated version and not the live-action travesty.
Yup.

You did a much better job of meeting up with the Dads than I did on my trip.
Were there any others down there at that time?

Looks like a nice start. I love it when you land in Florida, look out the window of the plane and see palm trees. Palm trees automatically relax you.

Even if it's 40 freakin' degrees in Florida.
Luckily, when we landed it was still around 70 or so. I had the window down in grandpa's car with my arm hanging out on the way to downtown Disney. He was wearing a heavy sweatshirt, and I think I heard some teeth chattering.

Evan and I were not sleeping. We were preparing for the flight and vacation by doing our last minute packing and cleaning.
Uh oh. We have our first discrepancy in the story. This may require a Federal investigation if this keeps up.
Here's what I remember: When I work up, you and Evan were sleeping. When Madison and I went outside, there was no noise coming from the bedroom area of the house. I'm well within my rights to assume you were sleeping. I think.

popcorn:: Sorry I'm late! Loved the opening special effects!! Also loved the photos of your family. I think I met everybody when we met in Town Square ... so Hi everybody!! The photo of Madison with the snowball is too cute!! Loved the photo of Evan as well. I have a grandson about that age now.
My wife comes from a family of 4 "biologicals" and 6 "adoptees".

Looking forward to more of your TR. Please carry on!! I need to learn how to write one!!
:welcome:
I hope you're not taking notes. Even though this is my 3rd TR, I'm still winging it!
Wow, a family of 10 - quite the household!

I wonder if she was giving you the smiley face before throwing that snowball at you. :confused3
She smiles all the way through the follow through. Then she giggles.

Awesome!!!! You guys got to see Santa before you left just like we did! :santa:
Yeah, but he didn't drive us to the airport like you got!:)

Awesome!!! I wish we could have made it too. Juliana was just shot after a long day. I think she passed out with-in 5 minutes of getting in the car.
That's OK. It was the end of a long day for everybody. I'm just glad we got to see you again later. :thumbsup2
Is it a sin that I have NEVER gotten an ice cream from there?
Yes. Yes it is.
The few times I wanted to the line was out the door, so I just found a cocktail instead.:lmao:
OK, you're forgiven:rotfl2:

Signing on Barry! It looks like this is going to be a fun report. That Recombobulation Area is an awesome addition to the airport.

I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what the translation of recombobulation is into German... And have come to the conclusion that this word was invented by your airport??? I get the meaning of it - "finding all your things together again" as the opposite of discombobulation - which again appears to be a word that was made up in the 19th century. :confused3

I'm joining in:goodvibes

You have a beautiful family and I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventures

I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what the translation of recombobulation is into German... And have come to the conclusion that this word was invented by your airport??? I get the meaning of it - "finding all your things together again" as the opposite of discombobulation - which again appears to be a word that was made up in the 19th century. :confused3

EXACTLY :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Signing on Barry! It looks like this is going to be a fun report. That Recombobulation Area is an awesome addition to the airport.
Come to rub it in my face that you beat me in Mark's quote contest? That's OK, I'd do it too. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

As it turns out - it may have been. I Googled "recombobulation" and the very first page returned is from our local paper and their article on the sign. http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/29452504.html
We certainly have a sense of humor around here. Must be all that cheese.

I'm joining in:goodvibes

You have a beautiful family and I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventures
Thanks! We've certainly got some adventures coming up. I hope to have an update later tonight....but don't quote me on that. :lmao:

I've walked by that sign several times. I always got a chuckle out of it, but the word just seemed to make sense to me so I guess I always thought it was a real word. Which, of course, it is. Now.

Great start!! I am trying to get caught up with all of these TR's. I wish I could have been at the Disdads meet up with all of you guys, I'm glad to see you all had a good time.

It nice to see your sharing your obsession with a newbie, its great when they really start to love it as well. :thumbsup2

Great start!! I am trying to get caught up with all of these TR's. I wish I could have been at the Disdads meet up with all of you guys, I'm glad to see you all had a good time.

It nice to see your sharing your obsession with a newbie, its great when they really start to love it as well. :thumbsup2

Oh sure, you read Barry's report... :rolleyes1

Although by now you're probably well on your way to your vacation, but I know you're following along in spirit.:thumbsup2

I'd get more done on my TR, but my "honey do" list at home is growing exponentially. :rotfl2:

:duck:

The Rock! Unless this was a paraphrase of the "Most things in here don't react well to bullets" line from Red October. :thumbsup2
Actually, it's comedian Lewis Black. Bambi and I saw him several times BC (before children). He would be announced and walk out on stage to a rousing round of applause. His opening line would be along the lines of "you people are putting a lot of pressure on me, and I don't respond well to pressure!"

Oh sure, you read Barry's report... :rolleyes1
:woohoo::woohoo:

Actually, it's comedian Lewis Black. Bambi and I saw him several times BC (before children). He would be announced and walk out on stage to a rousing round of applause. His opening line would be along the lines of "you people are putting a lot of pressure on me, and I don't respond well to pressure!"

I stand corrected. I guess I need to study up on stand-up comedians. :teacher:

HERE!!! dont ask me how i missed this barry. great pics barry!!! now i feel old, i was there on my honeymoon in 1985.:scared1:

Joining in! popcorn::

Your kiddos are so cute!

I used to live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, so I've been up to Racine a few times for work. Gotta love those Wisconsin winters!

Can't wait to read more! :)

HERE!!! dont ask me how i missed this barry. great pics barry!!! now i feel old, i was there on my honeymoon in 1985.:scared1:
Dave! I was wondering how long it would take you to get here. Or how long it will take me to do another update. If the stars align (and "work" doesn't get in the way) I'll have one this afternoon
Joining in! popcorn::

Your kiddos are so cute!

I used to live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, so I've been up to Racine a few times for work. Gotta love those Wisconsin winters!

Can't wait to read more! :)
Thanks for the kind words.

Grandchildren living 1200 miles away from their Grandparents can make the traditional holiday celebrations pretty challenging. So in addition to being a Disney Vacation, this trip was also going to be our Christmas with Grandma & Grandpa. And that's what Sunday morning was all about.
After everyone woke up, we made our way over to see what was tucked up under the traditional Christmas tree.
54504_1603274134133_1604500875_1372010_5782515_o.jpg

OK, so maybe it's not quite that traditional, but it sure set the mood for a Florida Christmas.

Madison got a very tiny outfit.
IMG_2877.JPG

Which makes more sense when you realize it was for her doll, Princess. And, of course, she got a matching one.
IMG_2885.JPG

There was one box for her that wasn't wrapped. It was just a plain brown cardboard box, handwritten in marker was "The Best Christmas Present Ever". Madison opened it up and pulled out...packaging material?
IMG_2888.JPG

No, it's Spanish Moss. Madison became enthralled with this stuff that hangs from all of the trees around Grandma & Grandpa's house over our last few visits. So, grandpa packed some up and gave it to her. I'm not sure how the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources would feel about us bringing that up north, so we decided to leave that in Florida. You know, so she could play with it every time we visited.

Quick Quiz: What's wrong with this picture?
IMG_2902.JPG

Some more random Christmas gift pictures:
IMG_2903.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

Of course Grandma & Grandpa didn't forget Kayden
IMG_2882.JPG

After cleaning up, having a little breakfast and packing our stuff for our stay at Disney, we headed off. We had a 1:00 ADR, so all 3 kids rode with Grandma and Grandpa to the restaurant while Bambi, Kaylene and I headed over a bit early to see if we could get checked in to our Treehouse.

The 45 minute drive was uneventful and we pulled into Saratoga Springs at about 12:15 to the worst possible sight - a Magical Express bus pulling away from the curb. Bambi dropped me off and my fears were confirmed as I took one peak into the lobby - the bus had just dropped off, and people were packed into the lobby like a mosh pit at a Phish concert*.

*I have never been to a Phish concert. For that matter, I don't think I've ever even listened to a Phish song. They just sound like a band that would have a mosh pit at one of their concerts.

So, change of plans. There was no way I would be able to wait it out and get checked in and still make it to lunch. I jumped into the running get-away car and we pealed out of the parking lot, leaving scorched rubber marks 50 feet down the pristine Saratoga Springs driveway.

I was just kidding about that last part. The driveway is several years old now, it's not in pristine condition anymore.

So, where was lunch you ask? (I can only assume you asked. I can't really hear any of you.) Well, it was here:
IMG_2922.JPG

OK, it was actually, behind me as I took a picture of the tree. I forgot to get a picture of the sign.
While we waited for our table at Whispering Canyon Cafe, the kids started showing off their engineering skills:
IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

We were soon seated when our waitress came over and saw my camera sitting on the table. I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi with a Speedlite 430EX II. In plain English, it's one of those new-fangled fancy-schmancy big ol' digital jobbies. Well, Roxy took a liking too it, grabbed it, marveled at it, yelled across the entire dining room to show another waiter how fancy of a camera we had, and started taking pictures of random people around the dining room. She then turned it on herself.
IMG_2928.JPG

She did take a very nice group shot of all of us, though. I mean look a this - 8 people, all looking at the camera. 7 of them smiling - the 8th is probably smiling, but has a fork in front of his mouth. Can't ask for much better than that!
IMG_2927.JPG

So, we got down to looking at the menu and Roxy asked us for our drink order. I commented that the menu only shows Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry milkshakes, and that they used to have fun flavors like bubblegum and orange. Well guess what! They still have them, they're just not on the menu! Score!

IMG_2932.JPG

Madison and I ordered bubblegum, Evan and Grandpa got Orange and Kayden asked his mom if he could have one. She relented and he ordered vanilla.

IMG_2933.JPG

We then discovered that this was his very first milkshake. Ever. As you would expect, he like it. A lot. A LOT. Evan let him try his orange.

IMG_2935.JPG

As you can see, Grandma is explaining to Roxy that this was Kayden's first ever shake.

IMG_2938.JPG

Roxy was a little surprised by this. So what does Roxy do? Same thing any self-respecting Disney World Cast Member would do. She made him a special shake - layered with every flavor of milkshake they have.
IMG_2941.JPG

Of course, it was too good not to share.
IMG_2943.JPG

They did all of the standard antics - the straws, the napkins, etc. Nothing too outrageous. Not sure what she did to deserve it, but one waiter pushed this girl across the dining room and made her pick up the "jail cell" and hold it in front of herself.
IMG_2944.JPG

And wouldn't luck have it - Madison had been looking forward to the stick pony races for weeks. Just after she left to go to the bathroom, they pull the barrel of ponies out and start the race. :sad1:
IMG_2946.JPG

(Don't feel too sad, there are real ponies coming up later!)

IMG_2951.JPG

The bill came and I took off. I couldn't get away from that table fast enough. No, not in that way. Bambi settled up the bill while I headed back to Saratoga Springs to get us checked in. Everyone else headed off to our next destination.
Where? Well, I left a clue just a little bit ago. If you can't figure it out, I'll tell you ... in my next update.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter