Escaping Snowy New England for Freezing Florida Feb 2015 Final Hours 11/17 p. 23

Great update, Dee. Your pictures are wonderful.

I literally almost passed out looking at the picture of you guys on Hulk. Not because it's a bad picture, but I can't even imagine going on that.

The rains that came through the previous night cleared out, but brought the COLD! :cold:
Grab a jacket and enjoy the lower crowds!

We headed right to Forbidden Journey, and just like every morning the wait was about 30 minutes.
WOW! You made rope drop and still had to wait 30 minutes? That's crazy!

Notice in the above picture that Ben is the only one not wearing a jacket or sweatshirt.
But he's wearing pants... :rolleyes1

As we were walking through this area, Ben realized he was cold. We passed by a stand that had Jurassic Park sweatshirts, and after getting a promise from our soon-to-be high schooler that he would indeed wear a jacket with the JP logo, I shelled out the $46 for one. He has continued to wear it after returning home.
Well, at least he still wears it. It is a good looking jacket.

We walked right through the Toon Lagoon area- no way were the water rides attractive to us this morning.
But there's no line!

We circled back to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and finally the Hogwarts Express was running.
So you walked all the way from the front of the park to the opposite corner to catch a train to the other park. Wouldn't it have been quicker to just walk to the other park? :rolleyes1

We did not have a private train car like we had before. Instead, we were paired up with a couple of women who instead of sitting on the same side in the car, sat in the two seats closest to the window screen. And they were talking during the ride while simultaneously videotaping the ride.
Yuck. At least you got to enjoy it once...

That is a GREAT picture! Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad you didn't crop it!

I'll try to check out the movies before we return to Universal at the end of August. We have only been on the Minions attraction once. I really want to check it out again, and it would be even better if I was familiar with the movies!

:thumbsup2
We love the Despicable Me ride :) It was a great breakfast, and I think we only got one pic with the little man in it. Part of his autism involves an obsession with toilets..names styles etc. Luckily it is not as pronounced as when he was younger, but I could easily do a TR "Potties around theme parks...."

It is always crazy to see Florida pics with people wearing sweatshirts. Of course you had to buy Ben a top dollar sweatshirt ;) DH had to do the same for my oldest at MK. 60 bucks later...lol

As we were walking through this area, Ben realized he was cold. We passed by a stand that had Jurassic Park sweatshirts, and after getting a promise from our soon-to-be high schooler that he would indeed wear a jacket with the JP logo, I shelled out the $46 for one. He has continued to wear it after returning home.

It's always nice when they actually wear the things you buy!

Sounds like you guys had a good morning, despite the cold. The pictures are all great - your pictures really make me want to go back to Universal!

We passed by a stand that had Jurassic Park sweatshirts, and after getting a promise from our soon-to-be high schooler that he would indeed wear a jacket with the JP logo, I shelled out the $46 for one. He has continued to wear it after returning home.

It probably helps that there is a new Jurassic Park movie out. ;)

Bummer to the cold and rainy day! We had a Disney day like that. If I'm not mistaken you were there during some really cold weather. I remember it was really cold the morning after I arrived and then gradually warmed up a bit, but was persistently overcast all week.

So I guess the concierge's lounge turned into feeding time at the Costco sample booths. :faint: Glad you were able to find something to enjoy.

The next morning after the rain looks lovely, even if it was sweatshirt weather. I ended up buying not one, but TWO sweatshirts when I was there.

I see the Hulk and I wonder if I will be up for that challenge when I finally make it there next February.

Fun pictures!

Yup, it was cold!

"feeding time at Costco sample booths" Love that!!!

And do you continue to wear those sweatshirts???? Well????

Here's the thing about the Hulk. Go ahead and say that you will you will ride it.

If the rumors can be believed, the ride is going down for refurbishment at the end of summer (I hope it is still open for us at the end of August) and then it will open again for the holidays and go down for more work after the first of the year.

The Hulk is not bad. It is fast, it is long, but it is very smooth. I like it much more than Dragon Challenge.

Bummer on the cold. Your next trip should be quite toasty.

True that! I better not be complaining that it is too hot!!! I was pretty good during the June trip about not complaining.

:cool2:

Great update, Dee. Your pictures are wonderful.

I literally almost passed out looking at the picture of you guys on Hulk. Not because it's a bad picture, but I can't even imagine going on that.

Thank you so much!

I know you are not a fan of Space Mountain. I agree that you would not enjoy the Hulk!

:goodvibes

Grab a jacket and enjoy the lower crowds!

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup2

WOW! You made rope drop and still had to wait 30 minutes? That's crazy!

::yes::

:sad2:

But he's wearing pants... :rolleyes1

Bright side!

Well, at least he still wears it. It is a good looking jacket.

Yes, it is nice and thick, and Jurassic Park is popular again

BTW- Can't remember if I responded that we did finally see the new movie. Enjoyed it although it lacked the humor, charm and excitement of the original. But it really is unattainable to live up to that.

But there's no line!

OK, I love water rides, but the fact that there were no lines was not even remotely tempting!

So you walked all the way from the front of the park to the opposite corner to catch a train to the other park. Wouldn't it have been quicker to just walk to the other park? :rolleyes1

You would think. But you would be wrong! As we discovered the next day. You can walk to the other park. But then you are in the entrance turnstile line forever when the idiots in front of you can't correctly do a finger scan, and the team members working aren't any help at all.

Yuck. At least you got to enjoy it once...

The private train car is definitely MUCH better!

:teleport:

We love the Despicable Me ride :) It was a great breakfast, and I think we only got one pic with the little man in it. Part of his autism involves an obsession with toilets..names styles etc. Luckily it is not as pronounced as when he was younger, but I could easily do a TR "Potties around theme parks...."

It is always crazy to see Florida pics with people wearing sweatshirts. Of course you had to buy Ben a top dollar sweatshirt ;) DH had to do the same for my oldest at MK. 60 bucks later...lol

We have only done the Minion ride once, in 2013. My spoiled family refuses to wait in line (even with express pass) and it ended up being close to an hour waiting for the ride. I'm not sure if we were in the express line or not. But now they refuse to get in line if the posted wait time is more than 30 minutes. Which is NEVER is for Minions. And will probably be worse in August with the new movie out.

OK, too funny with the toilet obsession. Do you know that there is a plumbing museum in Watertown, MA?

http://www.theplumbingmuseum.org/index.html

Maybe that can be next summer's vacation!

I haven't been but my grandfather was a master plumber, my Uncle Bob was a plumber and my dad had a plumber's license. So my family has a plumbing obsession, too.

And sorry, Nemo. All drains do NOT lead to the ocean!

:fish:

It's always nice when they actually wear the things you buy!

Sounds like you guys had a good morning, despite the cold. The pictures are all great - your pictures really make me want to go back to Universal!

I always hesitate to take the tags off of clothes I buy for the boys because I have been burned many times when they promise to wear something and then they don't.

:headache:

We really do enjoy Universal. Thanks for the kind words about the photos.

It probably helps that there is a new Jurassic Park movie out. ;)

Hopefully!

Wednesday February 18, Continued
Diagon Alley

We had arrived in Kings Cross (Universal Studios) via the Hogwarts Express and we decided to check out what was going on in Diagon Alley. It was pretty crowded and Escape from Gringott's either had a long wait or was closed.

We walked around a little bit.

DSCF5714.JPG

Here is one of the effects from the interactive wands- kind of like the Singing in the Rain umbrella in Hollywood Studios.

DSCF5712.JPG

Fortunately, the dragon was spewing fire- this was not the case for a lot of our trip.

DSCF5710.JPG DSCF5709.JPG

DSCF5711.JPG

DSCF5717.JPG

DSCF5716.JPG

According to my notes, we rode Mummy on the way out of the park for lunch, but I don't have a ride photo for this.

Next Up-Burgushi for Lunch

Cowfish (Burgushi for Lunch)

We had no reservations about the place we were going for lunch.

In fact, they don't take reservations at this new restaurant at City Walk.

Cowfish is a burger-sushi fusion restaurant. Burgushi. Get it?

Cowfish1 (2).jpg

http://www.thecowfish.com/

Cowfish1.jpg

Cowfish2.jpg

This was easily the hippest restaurant we have ever been to. Really crisp, contemporary atmosphere. Clever decorations. Interesting menu.

Cowfish12.JPG

Waiting area (this DOES get busy at night, with lengthy waits for a table)

Cowfish16.JPG

Cowfish3.jpg

Cowfish8.JPG

Cowfish7.JPG

Even the bathrooms are ultra-cool!

Cowfish13.JPG

Cowfish5.jpg

But how was the food?- Next Up

Last edited:
Cowfish- Food Review

Our waiter recommended the Deconstructed Crab Rangoons for an appetizer- Creamy crab Rangoon with Parmesan panko crust, wonton crisps, sweet chili sauce and chives

Cowfish9.JPG

OMG- he was right! These were divine!

For entrees, we all ordered the Burgushi Bento Boxes, a combination of a burger slider, sushi of our choice, edamame, a Thai cucumber salad and sweet potato fries.

Cowfish10.JPG

Two of us selected the California Roll sushi and two of us got the Firecracker- shrimp tempura, kami inside coated with tempura flakes, topped with yellowtail, salmon, spicy mayo, masago, and scallions.

This was soooooooooooo good!!!!

Cowfish11.JPG

With the appetizer, we were pretty full at the end of meal, but it didn't stop the boys from ordering dessert:

Milk and Cookies for Ben and Cheesecake for Nate

Cowfish14.JPG

Cowfish15.JPG

Wow!!!

Four thumbs up! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Although our lunch check was $96 plus tip (with a $10 AAA discount), we WILL be back in August.

:goodvibes

Last edited:
We have only done the Minion ride once, in 2013. My spoiled family refuses to wait in line (even with express pass) and it ended up being close to an hour waiting for the ride. I'm not sure if we were in the express line or not. But now they refuse to get in line if the posted wait time is more than 30 minutes. Which is NEVER is for Minions. And will probably be worse in August with the new movie out.

OK, too funny with the toilet obsession. Do you know that there is a plumbing museum in Watertown, MA?

http://www.theplumbingmuseum.org/index.html

Maybe that can be next summer's vacation!

I haven't been but my grandfather was a master plumber, my Uncle Bob was a plumber and my dad had a plumber's license. So my family has a plumbing obsession, too.

And sorry, Nemo. All drains do NOT lead to the ocean!

:fish:
He would LOVE that!!! He would walk around telling the CMs about the "Bemis" or "American Standard" toilets and where they were. I do remember waiting at least 20 minutes WITH the Express Pass when Minions opened. Early December everything was a walk on but that was before Diagon Alley was opened.

Fortunately, the dragon was spewing fire- this was not the case for a lot of our trip.

Do you know if there's any rhyme or reason for when the dragon spews fire? Since it was cold that week, I'm wondering if the weather has anything to do with it ... or if it's just technical issues.

Just from that sentence ... this is either the best or worst idea ever.

This was easily the hippest restaurant we have ever been to. Really crisp, contemporary atmosphere. Clever decorations. Interesting menu.

It looks very cool! I really like the decor, it's very contemporary and fun.

Milk and Cookies for Ben and Cheesecake for Nate

I'm sorry, but after a Burgushi Bento Box, those deserts seem a little out of place to me.
It's like ... let's have an adventurous lunch. Now what's for dessert? Let's have the same thing we'd have every day!

Four thumbs up! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

That's a good review! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed - sounds like a cool place!

I love the decor of Burgushi but where are the people? The food looks good. I think I'd go for the edamame and a burger. ;)

Last edited:
Cowfish is so good!!!
It is the boys' new favorite restaurant. We went there in April for the first time and have been back a couple of times. My DS 18 loves the rise and swine burger.
I usually can't decide between sushi and a burger so DH and I get both.
My DS 14 loves the name. Lol
Sorry I've been so MIA.

I'm back!!!

Still struggling with keeping up with the Beach Club FAQ thread, 3 trip reports in progress and many enjoyable trip reports that I am trying to follow!

And our next trip, to Yellowstone, is in a week so I know I am just going to get even further behind!

So sorry! :(

He would LOVE that!!! He would walk around telling the CMs about the "Bemis" or "American Standard" toilets and where they were. I do remember waiting at least 20 minutes WITH the Express Pass when Minions opened. Early December everything was a walk on but that was before Diagon Alley was opened.

Too funny! Is he still obsessed with plumbing and bathrooms or is that interest starting to drain?

Our previous trips to US/IoA have been in July (2) and Feb, so I'll be interested to see what August is like. Looking forward to the new Raptor Encounter in Jurassic Park and River Adventure since it was closed when we were there last.

:goodvibes:

Do you know if there's any rhyme or reason for when the dragon spews fire? Since it was cold that week, I'm wondering if the weather has anything to do with it ... or if it's just technical issues.

I think there is, but because the dragon was not working consistently while we were there, I'm not sure what it is. Every 10 minutes? On the half-hour? Anyone know???

My guess is that the cold was the problem. We found that with a few of the attractions there. Like we overheard Team Members who worked on Rip Ride Rocket saying the ride was not running because of the temperature.

:cold:

Just from that sentence ... this is either the best or worst idea ever.

(Cowfish: burger-sushi fusion)

For me, best idea since I love to have a lot of variety when I dine. I was able to get a small burger, sushi, cucumber salad, sweet potato fries and edamame in a single meal.

It looks very cool! I really like the decor, it's very contemporary and fun.

I LOVED the look of the restaurant. Lots of fun things to look at. Really crisp and contemporary. But it almost felt "too hip" for me.

I'm sorry, but after a Burgushi Bento Box, those deserts seem a little out of place to me.
It's like ... let's have an adventurous lunch. Now what's for dessert? Let's have the same thing we'd have every day!

Well, it was a different cheesecake, maybe creamsicle?

They also have some interesting milkshakes, including some spiked ones, if that would be more to your liking.

That's a good review! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed - sounds like a cool place!

We totally enjoyed our meal there and we will be back at the end of summer.

::yes::

I love the decor of Burgushi but where are the people? The food looks good. I think I'd go for the edamame and a burger. ;)

That is a really good question! Especially since we heard how busy it usually is there. We were there around 1 pm. We will do lunch again.

Great update. Cool restaurant :)

Thanks! We really liked Cowfish.

:woohoo:

Cowfish is so good!!!
It is the boys' new favorite restaurant. We went there in April for the first time and have been back a couple of times. My DS 18 loves the rise and swine burger.
I usually can't decide between sushi and a burger so DH and I get both.
My DS 14 loves the name. Lol
Sorry I've been so MIA.

No worries about being missing! Heck, I haven't visited this report in almost 2 weeks.

UGH!

I wondered whether Cowfish would live up to the hype and I think it does.

ETA: Just looked up the Rise and Shine burger:
Beef, cheddar cheese, black forest ham, sunny-side up egg, applewood bacon, grilled onions, Cowfish sauce on an onion roll.

Sounds interesting!

:cool2:

Last edited:
Cool effect!

Finally! A sushi place I might actually want to visit!

Two of us selected the California Roll sushi and two of us got the Firecracker- shrimp tempura, kami inside coated with tempura flakes, topped with yellowtail, salmon, spicy mayo, masago, and scallions.

This was soooooooooooo good!!!!
Ok... but you're leaving out the most important detail. How are the burgers there???? :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter