• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Equal access to prizes?

Juliah

DIS Veteran
I found an interesting blog entry in which the author wonders if the way Disney is handing out prizes for the Year of a Million Dreams is discriminatory because of some of the locations where the winners are selected.

"Year of a Million Dreams, rules violations?"
http://thedisneyblog.typepad.com/tdb/

BLOG said:
What I've noticed is that many of the prizes are handed out in the entrance or exit queues for rides that have height or medical restrictions. It's my feeling that practice violates the spirit of the rules and possibly the letter (however, Disney can change the rules whenever they want). It might also violate the ADA and other anti-discriminatory laws and regulations in Florida.
Height restrictions normally will apply to children, and I beleive the rules state that any but the most minor prizes can only be won by a person 18 or older.

Disney has no medical restrictions on any attraction. However, there are some where they suggest to people with certain medical conditions that they not ride the attraction for their own safety and the safety of others.

And picking up on Cheshire Figment's last paragraph - friends who had NO intention of riding Expedition Everest last week went through the entire queue with me anyway. Not because I needed any help, but we all wanted to see the theming. They left through the chicken exit - I mean the same exit as all Guests exiting the ride - so, not that we won anything but we DID all have an equal chance to win.

Height restrictions normally will apply to children, and I beleive the rules state that any but the most minor prizes can only be won by a person 18 or older.

Normally but not always. And actually the rules state that anyone an win, but for a minor to win their parent or guardian must just be present when the prize is awarded:

in the event a Minor is the winner of any prize in which the winner is permitted to travel to, stay at or attend an event, site or destination, such Minor and any guest (as applicable) must be accompanied by his/her parent or legal guardian on such prize

So choosing height restricted attractions reduces the chances for minors to win, despite the rules stating everyone is eligible.

Disney has no medical restrictions on any attraction. However, there are some where they suggest to people with certain medical conditions that they not ride the attraction for their own safety and the safety of others.

That's splitting hairs there. When Disney says guests with back problems should not ride, I think they're expecting guests with back problems not to ride. Also what about guests that have to transfer from wheelchairs to ride, for some that's an impossibility. Should not they get equal chance to experience the joy of winning a hat, lanyard, or fastpass?

Again, I like the promotion. I'm just suggesting a small tweak so everyone can participate equally.

Give me a break! Isn't this getting a bit carried away. I don't like to spin so if they give anything away at the teacups exit that is discrimating. I don't like singing dolls so nothing at Small world. Get reasonable. I don't think there is a ride in the park that every single person can go on.

I am just happy that WDW makes as many accomodations as they do, for those with special needs. In other words, I am happy that we can take my dd to WDW -- there are many places that we cannot take her. Whether or not we can win prizes doesn't even begin to factor into my vacation. That, of course, is just me. I suppose it might be disappointing to some. To us,we are just glad for what WDW does provide.

Hanna, there is a HUGE difference between not LIKING something and being UNABLE to do something.

For example:
My wife doesn't like caramel. She chooses not to eat it.

I LOVE caramel. My jaw is fused shut. I CANNOT PHYSICALLY eat it.

My arms are fused at my sides. When I go to to grocery store, I cannot reach the top shelves. If what I want is on a high shelf, I MUST have help to reach it, while a "normal" person just reaches over. That is NOT equal opportunity (note that usually fellow shoppers end up helping me- the store's staff-their cast members- aren't usually around to help).

I also cannot climb stairs. If you were standing at the top and giving away $1,000,000 to anyone reaching the top, with no other requirement, and there was no ramp or elevator, I have no way of getting to the top and couldn't then receive the reward. Is that equal?

If a CM were giving out laynards in the middle of the queue for BTMR (which I presume is still NOT mainstreamed), and I use an ECV, then I CANNOT get to him/her. (I probably SHOULDN'T ride BTMR, anyway, not that I don't like it, but it may be medically unwise for me to ride it). If the CM is awarding FP for that ride, then I really haven't lost out. Now if the CM is giving a Golden FP or a prize that has benefits OUTSIDE the ride then I'm denied equal opportunity for something that can benefit me.

That being said, I'm not likely to gripe about a laynard or a ride-specfic golden FP, now a bigger prize, that's a different story!

-steve

There are plenty of wishes being granted outside of ride queues and exits. If you read some of the posts on the Attractions and Strategies Board, people have gotten wishes at their hotels, at stores, walking down Main Street, at DTD, at the main gates of the parks, etc etc.

Regardless of whether I choose not to experience an attraction, or I cannot experience that attraction, the end result is the same- I could not receive a 'prize' if it were to be granted at that location. I see no discrimination in that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter