Epi Pen in carry on?

PrincessJasmine08

<font color=magenta>That is insane! I had no idea
Will I have any trouble having an epi pin in my carry on? Will I make it through security with this okay or do I need a doctor's note or anything? Thanks!

if it is the same classification as insulin and syringes I would think.....it is important to keep all your meds and that too in your carryon.....Your prescription must be there for your meds too....

pumba said:
if it is the same classification as insulin and syringes I would think.....it is important to keep all your meds and that too in your carryon.....Your prescription must be there for your meds too....
I need a prescription for the epi pen? It is actually my 15 year old sister's. It will be just she and I traveling, no parents. She is extremely allergic to shellfish and seafood. I need to have it with me so I just want to make sure it will be okay.

Yes-- you need a prescription for an epi. I'm sure if she has an allergy to shellfish she had a prescription.

I brought my son's epi pens in the original box from the pharmacy so they could see that they were actually prescribed to him. If you don't have that-- I'd call your doctor and get a new prescription, and then bring it to the airport in the box. You really should have more than one if on a plane anyway. The epi only really buys 15 minutes. Having a backup is nice for plane rides. I actually bring 4 on planes and boats (we have 2 normally)-- but that's me. She should also bring benedryl which they will allow if she has epi pens.

Also what I do is put all the meds-- benedryl, epis and inhaler in a gallon ziplock bag and hand it to them when we get to security. Don't even keep it in the carry on, it just makes it easier to hand it all to them when you get there. They'll probably open the bag and go through everything, but it's good to keep it all together.

If you'd take a look through the first page or two of posts in this section this was discussed at length this week.

It's Internet courtesy to look back a page or two and see if your question has been asked and answered recently.

Anne

Maybe have her go and get another prescription before you leave. That way you'll have it.

Did Miss Manners write a book on internet courtesy? I'll have to ask for that for Christmas so I can comport myself appropriately.

Does it have anything in it about it being rude to inform others on courtesy in "public"? Because in real life that is not very courteous.

I just returned from Disney this past Monday and I had my perscriptions in a ziplock baggie and they did not touch anything ....not even my eye drops......each bottle and container had the perscription written on it......
As far as looking at the beginning of a board to get answers.......we are all here for you whenever you need help......sometimes I do not have ENOUGH time to go thru all these pages for any other answers....so dont worry......

pumba said:
I just returned from Disney this past Monday and I had my perscriptions in a ziplock baggie and they did not touch anything ....not even my eye drops......each bottle and container had the perscription written on it........

Maybe they went through my bag because it was a week after the failed terrorist attmept in the UK. Also the Benedryl didn't have a prescription but since it was for something life threatening (which they could see because we had epis)- they did allow it.

Well, in all honesty, any 15 year old who has an epi-pen prescribed for them knows how to use it and should be carrying it at all times. The 15 year old is the one who should have it in their bag. Look to page two on the trasportation boards--about the fifth post down--for the labeling obligations.

You having her Epi-pen isn't going to do her much good if she's the one that needs it. Why would you be the one carrying it? At 15 she's certainly old enough to carry it--and I'm sure has been instructed on how to you use it. Do you even know how to use it?

Most kids who have a prescribed Epi-Pen carry their own by the time they are about 12.

Anne

Did Miss Manners write a book on internet courtesy? I'll have to ask for that for Christmas so I can comport myself appropriately.

Does it have anything in it about it being rude to inform others on courtesy in "public"? Because in real life that is not very courteous.

There are a very small number of people with high post counts that seem to have become very crabby. They seem very impatient and judgemental with almost everyone and it shows in almost every post they put up, no matter what the question or subject matter. ;) Maybe they're tired and it's time they lay down and take a "nap" from the boards.

MermaidsMom said:
There are a very small number of people with high post counts that seem to have become very crabby. They seem very impatient and judgemental with almost everyone and it shows in almost every post they put up, no matter what the question or subject matter. ;) Maybe it's time for a "nap" from the boards.

The OP is hardly a "newbie" (I try to give them a little lattitude) and really should know to look over the posts for the past few days before asking a question that's been asked and answered over and over again.

Anne

I actually think it is courteous to just answer her question without letting her know what is concidered courteous. I mean, if you really feel she is so out of line why not just be courteous and PM her with the lesson on internet courtesy. It seems publicly educating someone rather than privately telling them is far far from courteous.

Better yet, isn't it even better internet courtesy to simply NOT post if you have nothing helpful to say?

Good grief--the issue of the 15 yo carrying her own epi is really none of our business.

disneymom3 said:
Better yet, isn't it even better internet courtesy to simply NOT post if you have nothing helpful to say?

Good grief--the issue of the 15 yo carrying her own epi is really none of our business.

By asking the question, she opened herself up it being our business.

The 15 year old is old enough to carry her own Epi-pen. At 15 it's quite possible that they might not be together every waking moment, and if the OP has the Epi-pen in the ladies room when the OP suddenly feels her throat closing up, it's not going to do anyone any good, right?

Once a child is old enough to understand when it needs to be used and how to use it, they should be carrying it themselves. Like I said, it won't do teh sister any good if the OP has it and isn't right there when the sister needs it.

Anne

ducklite said:
By asking the question, she opened herself up it being our business.

The 15 year old is old enough to carry her own Epi-pen. At 15 it's quite possible that they might not be together every waking moment, and if the OP has the Epi-pen in the ladies room when the OP suddenly feels her throat closing up, it's not going to do anyone any good, right?

Once a child is old enough to understand when it needs to be used and how to use it, they should be carrying it themselves. Like I said, it won't do teh sister any good if the OP has it and isn't right there when the sister needs it.

Anne
First off she didn't ask about her sister she simply asked about being able to bring the pen. Second, do you intimately know the life of the OP? How do we not know if her sister does not have some serious mental delays? Perhaps she is physically impaired as well. As far as I can see PrincessJasmine has not posted anything to indicate whether or not her sister is capable of giving herself her own shot. Perhaps she is not. Perhaps she is not to be trusted with the epipen. I have worked with plenty of special needs people who should absolutely under no circumstances be in charge of their own epi. A few of them would have stabbed me with it for heaven's sake. Now, I am not saying this is the case with the OP but we have no more info that it is than that it isn't. The question was about taking the epi on a flight. My point is that I am sure the OP and her sister have made the best decision of how to handle in order to fit their unique circumstances.

Sorry Princess Jasmine about taking your thread OT.

PeachesDoesHair said:
I actually think it is courteous to just answer her question without letting her know what is concidered courteous. I mean, if you really feel she is so out of line why not just be courteous and PM her with the lesson on internet courtesy. It seems publicly educating someone rather than privately telling them is far far from courteous.
:worship:

Anne, for goodness sakes the question can be easily answered and then we can all move on. No need to be grinchy. Not everyone who posts on this board is a seasoned traveler and not everyone has a lot of time to go back and search for threads. And have you tried to use the search lately? It sucks. Cut people some slack.

I will be carrying my sister's epi pen and proud of it!! She's only 15, she still needs someone to take care of her and that's no one's business but mine. Thanks for most of the answers. I now understand the procedure when flying with an epi pen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter