• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epi Pen in carry on?

disneymom3 said:
First off she didn't ask about her sister she simply asked about being able to bring the pen. Second, do you intimately know the life of the OP? How do we not know if her sister does not have some serious mental delays? Perhaps she is physically impaired as well.

You've got a point, but then I'm even more concerned, as the OP didn't even know the Epi-Pen was a prescription only item, and as such probably has no idea how to even use it. I hope she learns more about it before she begins travel with her sister, if indeed her sister is in some way disabled.

Anne

ducklite said:
You've got a point, but then I'm even more concerned, as the OP didn't even know the Epi-Pen was a prescription only item, and as such probably has no idea how to even use it. I hope she learns more about it before she begins travel with her sister, if indeed her sister is in some way disabled.

Anne
Why are you doing this? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed again Anne :sad2:

L107ANGEL said:
Why are you doing this? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed again Anne :sad2:

No. I'm serious. If the sister is disabled, and is unabled to inject herself, and that's why the OP is carrying the Epi-Pen, then I hope that the OP knows how to use it. Not even being aware that it a prescription drug leads me to beleive that this is probably not the case, and if I'm right, I hope that before she leaves she gets instruction in its use by someone who does know. It's not a flame towards the OP, it's something that could save the sisters life!

If the sister is not disabled, then at 15 I'm not sure why she wouldn't carry her own Epi-Pen. She must go out with friends to the mall or something without her parents or the OP, and I would hope carries it with her when she does, and has been instructed on how to use it.

As long as the sister is not disabled, I would think that TSA might also question why she wasn't carrying her own pen if the OP's bag was inspected.

No flames, just an honest commentary and legitimate concern.

Anne

PrincessJasmine08 said:
I need a prescription for the epi pen? It is actually my 15 year old sister's. It will be just she and I traveling, no parents. She is extremely allergic to shellfish and seafood. I need to have it with me so I just want to make sure it will be okay.
When I said this I was simply asking whether I needed to bring an actual prescription for the epi pen. I understand that it is available by prescription only. I fully understand not only how to administer it, but also what signs to look for in my sister and what to do after administering it. I assure you, I am a competent adult.

Well I for one want to wish you a Merry Christmas Anne, I hope you get what you really want and need :thumbsup2

ducklite said:
No. I'm serious. If the sister is disabled, and is unabled to inject herself, and that's why the OP is carrying the Epi-Pen, then I hope that the OP knows how to use it. Not even being aware that it a prescription drug leads me to beleive that this is probably not the case, and if I'm right, I hope that before she leaves she gets instruction in its use by someone who does know. It's not a flame towards the OP, it's something that could save the sisters life!

If the sister is not disabled, then at 15 I'm not sure why she wouldn't carry her own Epi-Pen. She must go out with friends to the mall or something without her parents or the OP, and I would hope carries it with her when she does, and has been instructed on how to use it.

As long as the sister is not disabled, I would think that TSA might also question why she wasn't carrying her own pen if the OP's bag was inspected.

No flames, just an honest commentary and legitimate concern.

Anne
You seem to be assuming an awful lot, Anne. You know what they say when you assume.......
Now, I'm also going to assume something(or as my DD7 likes to say, what if....)
What if OP is older than her sister and doesn't live at home anymore? Maybe the epi-pen is a new thing to sister and so OP hasn't had to deal with sisters alergic reactions before. I would think that if OP is wondering about carrying on an epi-pen and how to go about it, she is also going to learn all she can about the use of it. Both how to and when too.

ducklite said:
If you'd take a look through the first page or two of posts in this section this was discussed at length this week.

It's Internet courtesy to look back a page or two and see if your question has been asked and answered recently.

Anne
What is all the hostility about? I'm sorry, I'm sure in your own way you were trying to help, but that just came across as rude.

PrincessJasmine08 said:
When I said this I was simply asking whether I needed to bring an actual prescription for the epi pen. I understand that it is available by prescription only. I fully understand not only how to administer it, but also what signs to look for in my sister and what to do after administering it. I assure you, I am a competent adult.

Don't worry, I think most everyone here knows what you were trying to ask and the only confusion seems to be about why such a simple question became such a hostile issue.

It may be a good idea to have a copy of the prescription with you just in case someone questions you. There is a DISabilities board here that is really good at answering questions like this, they seem to know almost everything about traveling with medicines, wheelchairs and people with disabilities of any kind. :sunny:

Princess Jasmine-- I know you are a competent adult-- but in the first post you sounded like you were a little new to the epis. I hope you don't mind- But, I recently had to "fight" for the benedryl that you should also have with the epis (in Philly, in Orlando they were wonderful). So if you have any more questions,let me know. Also, I just want to say like I said before-- try and get more than one epi. Protocol is that the pilot will land the plane if an epi has to be used, but that and getting to a hospital could take more than the 15 minutes the pen gives you. A doctor will give her a prescription for more. And don't forget that benedryl (which often prevents us from getting to the point of having to use the epi). If you have any more questions about bringing epis on board or anything, please feel free to pm me.

Anne is right though about the pen, if your sister can handle it (and I don't know your situation), she should really have the epi on her person at all times-- if you guys are separated for even a few minutes-- it's really important that she has it, and can use it. My son is only 6, but he has a sort of bag that goes everywhere he goes. Right now there's always an adult to handle it, but in a few years, he's gonna have to be the one to carry it around and know how to use it. Maybe it's because we're peanut though, and that's everywhere. Just something to think about.

I hope you guys have a wonderful trip

PrincessJasmine08 said:
Will I have any trouble having an epi pin in my carry on? Will I make it through security with this okay or do I need a doctor's note or anything? Thanks!

My husband brings his on with no issues. We put all of his meds in their original packaging with the perscription on them in a clear plastic bag and just put it in a bin to go through the x-ray and we have no problems.

Dina said:
Princess Jasmine-- I know you are a competent adult-- but in the first post you sounded like you were a little new to the epis. I hope you don't mind- But, I recently had to "fight" for the benedryl that you should also have with the epis (in Philly, in Orlando they were wonderful). So if you have any more questions,let me know. Also, I just want to say like I said before-- try and get more than one epi. Protocol is that the pilot will land the plane if an epi has to be used, but that and getting to a hospital could take more than the 15 minutes the pen gives you. A doctor will give her a prescription for more. And don't forget that benedryl (which often prevents us from getting to the point of having to use the epi). If you have any more questions about bringing epis on board or anything, please feel free to pm me.

Anne is right though about the pen, if your sister can handle it (and I don't know your situation), she should really have the epi on her person at all times-- if you guys are separated for even a few minutes-- it's really important that she has it, and can use it. My son is only 6, but he has a sort of bag that goes everywhere he goes. Right now there's always an adult to handle it, but in a few years, he's gonna have to be the one to carry it around and know how to use it. Maybe it's because we're peanut though, and that's everywhere. Just something to think about.

I hope you guys have a wonderful trip
Now you are a helpfull Diser! :thumbsup2 Take notes Anne ;)

Sometimes 2 passengers share a carryone, Dh and I do. That could be exactly what the op and her dsis are doing. At any rate, you were awfully harsh ducklite and you owe the op an apology, not even a search will turn up all the info you are looking for.

Gosh Anne, why all the hostility? She asked a simple question for goodness sakes. Perhaps from now on all questions should go through you to see if they are deemed worthy to post. :sad2:

Okay people....granted, Ducklite sometimes doesn't post with the most sensitivity, but there is a preponderance of posts regarding what you all feel to be 'nasty' or 'rude' posts by her. Enough. Get back on track regarding the EPI pen....most have posted pretty helpful stuff.
I have to agree with Anne on one point though....anyone old enough to be out and around, on their own, who needs an EPI pen, should have one with them, on their person all the time. My dd, now 13, has several friends who fall into this catagory. They have had EPI pens on their person since the age of 6 or so. That pen goes with them everywhere....24/7. No one is taking issue with the OP here or calling them, or the sister, irresponsible. Just asking questions. So....back on topic folks.

Well for all we know both of them will be carrying a pen. What if the attack is so severe that the sis can't administer it herself or she panics or if if if.
It's a good idea that whoever is travelling with her has direct acess on their own person to one as a backup.

Would that not be prudent?

ducklite said:
If you'd take a look through the first page or two of posts in this section this was discussed at length this week.

It's Internet courtesy to look back a page or two and see if your question has been asked and answered recently.

Anne

I'm going to don my mod cap for a quick sec and just say that asking a question on the DIS that has previously been asked before doesn't break any rules. If you see the question in the header, you can either politely and kindly answer, or you can opt not to open the thread at all. Have a great day!

RickinNYC said:
I'm going to don my mod cap for a quick sec and just say that asking a question on the DIS that has previously been asked before doesn't break any rules. If you see the question in the header, you can either politely and kindly answer, or you can opt not to open the thread at all. Have a great day!
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

RickinNYC said:

Oh sure...take the high route! ;)

RickinNYC said:

I didn't tell her it was breaking any rules. I simply suggested that on the Internet it's considered courteous to look theough the past day or two's posts to see if your question has already been covered before beginning a new thread. I didn't call the poster names, and frankly I was less rude to her than many have been to me on this thread.

Anne

ducklite said:
I didn't tell her it was breaking any rules. I simply suggested that on the Internet it's considered courteous to look theough the past day or two's posts to see if your question has already been covered before beginning a new thread. I didn't call the poster names, and frankly I was less rude to her than many have been to me on this thread.

Anne

You're entirely correct. But you're post was written in a pretty harsh, cold manner. The poster was simply looking for advice. Could she have done a search and found her answer? Sure. It might have been a whole lot nicer and a LOT easier for you to have simply said something along the lines of, "This was asked recently, let me provide a link to that thread for some great suggestions."

I think that's probably why some folks are getting twisted up about your response.

ETA: I realize it's impossible to hear one's tone when one posts so perhaps folks misunderstood your intent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter