• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epcot is sad

I'm telling ya ..... more adult beverage stations.

And turkey legs.

And funnel cakes.

And a place to lie down..............

That's all Epcot needs more of.

so I haven't read all the responses.

I love epcot, I do agree that some of it is in need of a serious update.
I only have really 2 criticism.

1. that big ugly building that has been left abandoned for ages. the one on the right as you pass Mexico into the other part of Epcot. Really, it reminds me of an abandon warehouse. a big eyesore.
2. Every country on the pavillion has stuff made in the actual country EXCEPT the American pavillion. that's the one thing I really find offensive. Seriously disney, you couldn't find some operation to make American flags here in the usa? I googled it and came up with 5 in the philly area alone. I fully admit that this is my own pet peeve, others may not care but I it bothers me.

Other than that, I love Epcot

This. Epcot needs more countries. How can they leave out India? Or Russia and Australia for that matter? I love Epcot but I do think it's a bit sad that some very big countries are altogether left out.

I wonder if the countries "left out" are ones that did not have interest in funding showcases.

Epcot's original plan had space for more countries.

What did you expect?? I wasn't planning to read more of this thread but decided to anyway. If you aren't a troll, you sure do enjoy :stir:

Do you actually think 'everybody' is 'out of step but Johnny'???

Have a nice day at Disney, but please, do everyone around you a favor and stay away from Epcot! I hope you don't inflict on your child all your cynicism.
In fairness to the OP, others have criticized Future World and that includes me. Honestly, I'm not a troll. It needs a lot of help.

However, you might not read this but in case you do, I don't believe that the OP is a troll either.

EPCoT, by its very definition (particularly as it relates to the Future World portion), is intended to be a celebration of advancement and accomplishment. Ingenuity and growth. Scientific achievements within our environments and beyond.

World Showcase is intended to celebrate culture, and global unity (within parameters of regional identities, as it were).

Instead, EPCoT has become a mish-moshed mess of abandoned buildings, stagnation, and complacency.

While it does have its moments of fun, it is decidedly a representative example of the antithesis of what it was intended to be.

In that way.....it IS sad.

I think Epcot is an interesting & fun park to explore the first few times you go but atleast in my opinion, after you walk through WS a few times, its just boring.
They do have room for 8 more countries in WS so I would love to see Disney start an 8 year World celebration with a new country opening every year. Unfortunately, based on their recent focus, They will probably just use the space to build DVC Villas.

I'm personally more offended that there is an empty half dome between UOE and Mission Space, a big empty ride building behind Germany, an Empty show area behind the UK, an empty upstairs area in the Imagination Pavillion, and a restaurant right along the walkway towards World Showcase that hasn't operated as such in years than any of the issues the OP brought up.

You forgot the giant ride/show building at the back of the Japan pavilion which is just used for storage.

I love Epcot. It's my favourite park. But I only went to Epcot for the first time three years ago. Maybe I would feel differently if I went to Epcot in the early eighties and then just visited for the first time again.

So, this is what I wonder about.

As a former NYer now living in Charlotte, our annual trip to Disney quickly became a bi-annual trip, and now we visit 4 or five times a year. We have done it all, staying in monorail hotels, on Hotel Blvd, off site hotels, timeshares and even renting a home.

My first visit was back in 78, when the Crossroads shopping area was simply forest.

Yes, I certainly miss the nostalgia of many of the old rides and attractions. However, I also think about moving forward. I like the new rides and attractions.

It is funny, many of the posts here have talked about park capacity, and how the parks are not near capacity. Yet, attempting to find a dinner in Epcot can be difficult unless you are there at a really off-peak time, or you plan your trip 180 days out. Personally, I just think that they need to continually grow and change the parks to keep me coming back. However, I am very different from someone who visits WDW once every four or five years.

I am glad to see the new work in the MK. I hope some upgrades for EPCOT are planned...

Of course my visit is going to be affected by "pre-conceived" notions! Am I supposed to forget that EPCOT was awesome? Should I just accept the fact that I'm spending more for less?

It's not about having exhibits that are constantly updated to match the future technology. It's about the theme park actually evolving and having new experiences. If they made new things that actually even came close to the creative success of the original rides, I'd be thrilled.

The Universe of Energy hasn't changed since 1996. Soarin' is still on a scratchy film (I know it's being upgraded) from its original incarnation of more than 10 years ago. Journey to Imagination is less than half as long as the original ride, and the effects aren't any better than 30 years ago. The Wonders of Life pavilion had multiple attractions and exhibits that could occupy hours of your time. Now it's vacant. Mission Space has some thrills, but do people really visit it repeatedly?

Even successful rides like Spaceship Earth have issues. The descent is fun for a laugh, but it's basically a JibJab card instead of its former show scenes. The characters are fine, but they replaced a section that once had cool exhibits. Nemo is cute, but it blocks what once were stunning cool views of the aquarium.

It's cool if you disagree about the merits of the attractions. I just don't see why it's wrong to hope for more from my favorite theme park. I grew up going to EPCOT in the '80s and '90s and still love going there. But it's hardly controversial to say that it needs a bunch of upgrades.

Bravo, sir! Bravo! Well said.

Bravo, sir! Bravo! Well said.

But not accurate. Sorain is 8 1/2 year old, not more than 10. Journey is being remodeled this year. Test Track was changed about a year ago. Spaceship Earth was recently redone. Nemo too. The current version of Oh Canada is around 7 years old. The Grand Fiesta is roughly the same age.

Disney changes things, but not just so that they can say they change them. They can't change too many things at once, or else people would be mad. They can't change things too often or people will complain. I do agree it would be nice if they would do something with the empty buildings, but you can't in fairness say that they are sitting watching Epcot molder and decay.

I'm telling ya ..... more adult beverage stations.

And turkey legs.

And funnel cakes.

And a place to lie down..............

That's all Epcot needs more of.

Ha!! LOL So true. Minus the turkey legs. I could do without those.

ETA... also as far as more countries, I just posted an article on the Community board that said there's space for 8 more countries. 8!!!! Let's start getting some more International representation in there. That would be awesome to have some new countries.

But not accurate. Sorain is 8 1/2 year old, not more than 10. Journey is being remodeled this year. Test Track was changed about a year ago. Spaceship Earth was recently redone. Nemo too. The current version of Oh Canada is around 7 years old. The Grand Fiesta is roughly the same age.

Disney changes things, but not just so that they can say they change them. They can't change too many things at once, or else people would be mad. They can't change things too often or people will complain. I do agree it would be nice if they would do something with the empty buildings, but you can't in fairness say that they are sitting watching Epcot molder and decay.

Soarin' opened in DCA in 2001; that's where I got the timeframe. There is no official word that Journey is being remodeled. In fact, there are rumors it will close for good. I'm staying optimistic that it will be great again, but it hasn't happened yet and will require some investments from management.

Spaceship Earth was redone, but the new version lost the descent and is inferior despite some new show scenes. I realize Nemo and Grand Fiesta are newer, but they move the park further away from the ideas as they were initially envisioned. With O Canada, the new scenes aren't even in the full 360-degree format and include pop culture references that are already dated.

I'm not saying that EPCOT shouldn't change. I'll admit to liking Test Track despite my love of World of Motion. Even Nemo has its positives even with the loss of the views of the aquarium. Every change is not a step backward.

My main issues are:

1. Empty Wonders of Life
2. No changes to Universe of Energy since 1996
3. Journey to Imagination being a shell of its former self

If those three were addressed, the rest wouldn't stand out so much.

Ha!! LOL So true. Minus the turkey legs. I could do without those.

ETA... also as far as more countries, I just posted an article on the Community board that said there's space for 8 more countries. 8!!!! Let's start getting some more International representation in there. That would be awesome to have some new countries.

Maybe they could build some internationally-themed DVC's! :idea:

That would be like....awesome!

I was born and raised in Germany. I also used to be a cast member!
And I can tell you this much: In the years I spent in Florida, EPCOT was the place I went, when I was homesick.

EPCOT Germany is actually extremely authentic. Is that the sight you should expect walking down the streets of Berlin...or Frankfurt? No, absolutely not.
But take a walk through Heidelberg, Bamberg, Neustadt...and you'll think you're back at WDW.

Offensive? :confused3 I find it MUCH more offensive, that some people actually believe that Germans worship David Hasselhoff ;)

But EPCOT Germany....was my home away from home, for the longest time.

Epcot is one of my favorite parks, if not my favorite park. I'll give you that Future World could use some updating, especially using some of the empty space that seems to only be growing. However, I think they've done a great job at embracing what others find entertaining about the park...food, drink, and entertainment (Hollywood Studios should take note). While the rides are fun and it is certainly annoying that Soarin' and Test Track can't handle the capacity, I go to Epcot to enjoy the sights and sounds, with the rides being secondary to the experience.

The Food & Wine festival grows more and more popular each year and they have some wonderful demonstrations and options to explore the regions and cuisines of countries. Here I'm thinking the regional lunches and Parisian breakfasts they offered this year. The Flower & Garden Festival is also quite popular and though I didn't go during that time this year I got the impression the introduction of new food booths was a success. Both festivals offer an opportunity for music lovers to enjoy a variety of musical acts. The holiday season offers the immensely popular Candlelight Procession and holidays around the world (perhaps another opportunity to use the food booths?!?) and in my opinion there is no better place to celebrate New Years Eve. Working as a cast member for a few years, I can tell you that most young adult cast members head to Epcot that night to celebrate unless they have to work because it's a great atmosphere. Also, no more countries have been added because no other governments have signed on and Disney will not just build them without that support. There is indeed space for about 4 more countries.

As stated previously - EPCOT is my favorite, but as others have pointed out some things have changed and not for the better.

I miss walking into the big open space and seeing the fountain in front of Spaceship Earth operating. I hate walking through the graveyard - when possible I come in through the World Showcase gate - yes I do usually have to do my switch at downtown Disney but I'd rather do that than arrive through a graveyard.

I miss Jeremy Irons and even Walter Cronkite as the narrators on Spaceship Earth. I miss Dreamfinder and the imagination upstairs playground - my kids would spend hours there every time we went.

I miss Wonders of Life - they had fabulous and imaginative attractions. The "making of me" - the one with the brain commando team in the head of the teenage boy - funny, entertaining, imaginative.

Miss the orange scent of the Horizons Pavilion (not the ride though - used it as an escape from the heat and sun for a while) miss the World of Motion - can't stand that you can't hear the theme song on the Land Boat ride any longer because they talk over it. Used to spend hours sitting in the tunnel of the aquarium at The Living Seas. Hate the new food court in the Land.

Even with all that's "wrong" with EPCOT there is still so much that's Right. Was, Is and always will be my favorite park!

Did you actually explore the Mexico and China pavilions? There is so much more to both of them than the minor, cherry-picked instances you provided.

As a sidenote, I've never been to Omaha, but I've never experienced a Taco Bell with mariachi bands, to my great sadness.

It is really hard to find a starker contrast than between the timeless charm of MK and the sad, outdated 1980s retro-futurism of Epcot. The place looks like it came out of a bad Jetson's episode. I felt insulted by the choose your future ending of spaceship earth. Horizons at least treated the issue seriously.

As for the World Showcase...does anyone else find it borderline offensive? Mariachis in Mexico. Pagodas and forbidden palace architecture in China?

I do find Future World a bit dated and in need of a major update but I do not find the World Showcase offensive.

BTW... Mariachi is a large part of the culture of Mexico so it seems appropriate to have that. But then I live in Texas and my daughter goes to a fine arts academy that actually has a mariachi program where they teach and celebrate this unique genre of music so maybe my perspective is a little different.

I find it humorous that some are referring it as a Lame Jetson park.

Especially since I remember as kid making our restaurant reservation talking to a CM through a television (pre-skype) and thinking it was the coolest thing. :thumbsup2 But I was 10 and it was the
80's. It's hard to be futuristic because the future catches up pretty darn quickly.

This. Plus the fact that for a long time there was a moratorium on any construction anywhere in WDW (wasn't so long ago that they finally finished the 2nd part of Pop ie. the new AoA resort). So yes, it's starting to feel pretty outdated but understandably so. But I'd rather save the kitchy retro-futuristic stuff for Tomorrowland. That's where it belongs if it's more of a joke than real sci-fi.

That being said, DH is a sci-fi fan and Epcot is still his favourite park. So I guess it still has something going for it. My DD doesn't get how FW represents the future though -- for her FW isn't that different than a lot of other places she has been. For me, it's a lot of concrete (but I love AK so I'll accept that I'm biased -- Epcot isn't my style)

Agree with this however am I the only Canadian that could do without the Toronto Maple Leaf stuff. Lol

I'm from Canada and we were offended by the Canadian pavillion -- which we and most people I know call the Ontario pavillion. The first time we were there we actually lol'd. Last time I felt a little bit angry so we stopped going completely. The most offensive part was knowing our own government forgot about the rest of us again.

Yes, needs a Tim Hortons and yes, keep the maple syrup -- 2 of the the things you can find anywhere in Canada. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter