Electrical Parade then Fireworks-- Possible?

Missus Toad

DIS Veteran
I know there'll probably be a swarm of people with the same idea, but has anyone actually done this? We're going tomorrow, and I'm wondering if it's something we should attempt. Thanks!

I was just there last week, and, as much as I would love to tell you it would be OK, I would say no. The EP, my favorite Disney thing of all time, lasts a good 20 minutes. If you are at the beginning of the route, down near Paradise Pier, you won't even be able to leave there until 9:10 or so. We watched it fron near a Bug's Land entrance, and it didn't even come near us until almost 9:00. To make it out of the park through the crowds, in the dark, then over to DL to manage that GIGANTIC SEA of people, I think is too crazy. There were no seats/standing room whatsoever as far as I could see a good half hour prior to the fireworks. It was almost scary to look back and see nothing but heads packed in like sardines on Main Street.

Unless, if it's your only option, I would go for it, and just leave the EP early. Also, if you don't care about a "good" spot to view the fireworks and are OK with what's up high, I guess you could give it a whirl.

If, however, you have the option of two nights, do yourself a favor and get a good fireworks spot at least an hour early. I promise, it will be worth it. The fireworks are spectacular and not to be missed, much better than WDW if you are familiar with those, and much better when you have a good view of the front of the castle.

Does that help???

Yes, it can be done, but it is tricky. You have to be very fast and very good at maneuvering through the crowds.

Your best bet is to catch the start of the parade from the Paradise Pier area. Stand next to the Golden Dreams theater, so that you don't have to cross the road where the parade is. I recommend that you duck out of the parade a few minutes early, or you're going to risk missing the start of the fireworks show.

You really don't need more than 15 to 20 minutes to get a good spot for the fireworks anymore. You can always get a spot anywhere on main street at the last minute, and there are still lots of good spots around the hub about 15 minutes before the show. We used to camp for 2+ hours to sit in front of the hub, and now we can get the same spot less than half an hour before, even on crowded days.

Just keep in mind that there are going to be a lot of people trying to get to DL after the DEP, so you're going to have a lot of crowds. We like to watch the first 10-15 minutes of the parade and then head over to DL to watch the fireworks from Main Street, and we usually have time to spare when we do that.

As tinkerbelt says, it's tricky BUT it CAN be done!! We did it twice last summer. :goodvibes We watched the EP in Sunshine Plaza making a quick exit from the park A LOT easier. You will have to weave through the crowds which can be quite a task at times but ttytt, the worst part is when you hit the queue lines for Disneyland and you can't do anything but wait. Once we finally got into Dl Park, we were then lucky enough to get a great spot by the flagpole and watched the fireworks again from there which was a lovely view with the whole of Main Street in front of us. :wizard:

Good luck. :thumbsup2 You'll need it... :rotfl:

We also did what tinkerbelt mentioned in her post after reading some advice on here and it worked out great! We watched the parade from the Golden Dreams area and hurried to the park exit as soon as we saw the last float (the Eagle float). We were able to make it out of the park before the parade even ended. That way, we were able to exit before the people at the Sunshine Plaza area because they were still watching the parade. We got to Main Street just as the fireworks were starting and we watched them from the bench at Town Square (in front of the Train Station). We really like to watch them with the music and since it was piped in there, it was better than watching from out hotel, etc. I hope it works out for you!:)

Has anyone tried walking from DCA to DTD and boarding the monrail into Disneyland? I guess it would not give the "ideal" view from Main Street but the monorail would drop people off by the other side, nearby the Matterhorn. Maybe I should try that next Sunday...

Pretty sure they do not run the monorail during the fireworks, so more than likely you would get stuck in the monorail terminal

Pretty sure they do not run the monorail during the fireworks, so more than likely you would get stuck in the monorail terminal

Yeah. They close the monorail from about 8:45-10:00, so that wouldn't work, and I think it'd take longer to walk through DTD and get on the monorail than it would to wait in line at the DL entrance.

Another great fireworks spot is in Fantasyland. They rope off the back between Dumbo and the carousel as a walkway, and the fireworks are pretty cool there, and there's no wait!

Thanks everyone for the input! We'll just have to see how ambitious we're feeling at that hour. Sounds like a fun challenge though, and it's good to know it can be done! We're there pretty regularly, so if we miss one or the other, it's not the end of the world, so maybe we'll give it a go-- if not tomorrow night, then another time. Thanks again! :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone for the input! We'll just have to see how ambitious we're feeling at that hour. Sounds like a fun challenge though, and it's good to know it can be done! We're there pretty regularly, so if we miss one or the other, it's not the end of the world, so maybe we'll give it a go-- if not tomorrow night, then another time. Thanks again! :thumbsup2
No one has said this, so here it is. DLR has purposely tried to setup the DEP time and parade route at DCA to make it highly difficult to do what you are asking about.

Some people have done it, but your luck depends on how crowded it is that night and how good of a spot you want for RDCT.

Since the RDCT fireworks at DL is 10 times better than the DEP (IMHO) then it is not worth it to risk getting a good viewing spot for RDCT in order to see DEP. My two cents.

No one has said this, so here it is. DLR has purposely tried to setup the DEP time and parade route at DCA to make it highly difficult to do what you are asking about.

Some people have done it, but your luck depends on how crowded it is that night and how good of a spot you want for RDCT.

Since the RDCT fireworks at DL is 10 times better than the DEP (IMHO) then it is not worth it to risk getting a good viewing spot for RDCT in order to see DEP. My two cents.

yes but you could also wait for a good spot for the fireworks, and have them cancelled, and then you see neither..

yes but you could also wait for a good spot for the fireworks, and have them cancelled, and then you see neither..
Well, for folks who have limited time you are quite correct.

The best strategy depends on many things including how many nights you have, whether you are there during high or low season and thus whether RDCT, DEP and Fantasmic are shown every night or only on weekends, whether Fantasmic is shown once or twice, how late you can stay out maybe because you have young children.

In general it is best to try to see RDCT as early in your trip as possible for the very reason of possible cancellation. The other shows and parades do not get cancelled nearly so often.

Buzz Kill! :sad2: I was waiting for you to visit this thread and poo-poo the idea of doing both. Trey, have you ever really attempted to do both? For our family it really wasn't difficult at all. And it appears that others have had a similar experience.

I respectfully disagree. They're equally as good. Both bring tears -- both have the major "Disney Magic" factor. pixiedust:

Buzz Kill! :sad2: I was waiting for you to visit this thread and poo-poo the idea of doing both. Trey, have you ever really attempted to do both? For our family it really wasn't difficult at all. And it appears that others have had a similar experience.

I respectfully disagree. They're equally as good. Both bring tears -- both have the major "Disney Magic" factor. pixiedust:
Ahh, some spirited debate. The best kind! ;)

Well, it is quite true that Disney has purposely set the time and direction of the DEP parade route to make it difficult. I thought it was worth pointing that out to someone who may not know.

And no I have not tried it. Here are some reasons why.

1. I have been in and around the hub during RDCT and if I really wanted to see RDCT would never see it from anywhere other than the hub.

2. I have a big family and so getting a decent spot for RDCT means getting there early. When we were there in late June we got there about 40-45 minutes early just to be safe, but 30 minutes early would have been fine and maybe, possibly 20 minutes early.

3. I saw DEP one night in late June near the DEP starting point up from Golden Dreams, with the idea to get out of DCA as quickly as I could and get back to my hotel on Harbor. So I power walked out out of DCA at about 9:05-9:10PM, and as I left DCA I looked over at the DL gates and there were tons of people in line at the gates. Hard to know what the wait at the DL gates would be, but I would be surprised if it was less than 10 minutes.

4. That means if I had wanted to get into DL, I might have made it in at 9:15-9:20.

5. After fighting my way up Main Street to the hub, I might have been able to get to the hub at 9:20-9:25 when RDCT starts.

6. Whether or not I could find a place to watch RDCT is debatable, as my experience is that getting there at least 20 minutes early is the minimum.

7. It is not worth it to me to watch RDCT from a non-optimal spot. I would rather see it on a different night when I get there early enough for a decent spot.

So that is my opinion, and it is just an opinion.

If you go when it is less crowded, and/or are willing to live with a lesser viewing location, then it can be done as you have explained.

I should also add that my opinion is partly based on how highly I rate DEP. And that is not very high. I would put RDCT and Fantasmic far ahead of DEP in priority. I would also put POD ahead of DEP as well. For me DEP is at about the same priority level as BPB, maybe a little ahead. So my advice flows from this priority level, which means to me that RDCT is the best show Disney has ever created and a good viewing spot should not be risked in order to see DEP.

For people who have seen RDCT before and can afford to miss it in a pinch should the DEP to RDCT dash not work for them, then go ahead and see if it works.

I am curious if you have ever tried to see DEP and RDCT on the same night during high season and how that worked? And have you ever made it from DEP and into the hub and gotten a spot there to see RDCT either high season or low?

Okay, I am going to be the one who agrees with both Dangermouse and Hydroguy! Because:

I love the Electrical Parade. Like all things in life (esp. all things in Disney) we all have different things that just appeal to us. DEP really does it for me. I love the Elliot float (brings back memories of that movie which most people have never even heard of), I love the music, the lights and the fact that dd10will still snuggle up to me and clap along with the music. So to me it's a priority and just as much of one as Remember if not more. And I don't even see F! at DL because that whole thing makes me crazy. I see it at MGM (I know, DL's is "better" just not for me). But a lot of people will not see it that way I know! However, that means (as Trey said) their advice and prioritizing will be slanted towards that personal opinion. Personally for me and my family, the DEP is THE thing, the parade/nighttime show we make the top priority, get the good spot and don't even dare tamper with!

However, I love Remember too, and in my optimal world would see it and DEP on the same night every night of my life if I could! But I haven't been able to accomplish it the last two years like I used to do back when they started the DEP in Sunshine Plaza and Imagine was the fireworks show. I agree with Hydroguy in that they have made this much, much harder to do. Still, I know it can be done because one night last June we got inside DL just before Remember (coming from dinner, not the DEP), we were in the crowd of people getting into DL from DCA, we got to the end of Main Street, very close to the Plaza Inn and had a great view of Remember. It was standing room only in a huge crowd but we still had a great view. We got to this spot about 10 minutes before the show started. I should add we were really trying to just get over to Space Mountain but it was so packed we just went ahead and stopped to see the fireworks. If I had a stroller or toddler holding my hand, it would have not been as much fun however. Still, if you see the DEP and want to see Remember, just go up as far as you can, it can still be a great spot. Normally I don't even try to do this, once I have seen the DEP, I am content to just see Remember from the Espanlande . I know this is a big no no but hey, seeing it from the Espanlande is still a treat, the high up fireworks are lovely, and on several occasions when we have done this, they have even piped in the music. Either way, I am fine since my emphasis was on the DEP and seeing Remember is just the frosting on my cake not the cake itself! In the end, if you find a spot to see them and are content, that's all that matters.

I also want to add that an optimal place (imho) to see Remember on a night when you aren't seeing the DEP, is back by Its a Small World. You don't see the castle projections and miss much of Tink's flight, but you see the incredible projections on IASW, have a great view, less (as in WAY less) crowds, more places to sit and just a nicer, friendlier atmosphere. Its also a great place to see them if you plan on taking the monorail out of the park, its just short distance from the monorail station and you will arrive there long before the people who saw it from the hub arrive over there. I truly like that area better and for my family (esp. if we have my fil with us in his scooter) its so much better. You are also then in a good spot to get into Tomorrowland or Fantasyland and will hit those areas before the masses exiting the hub and Main Street will.

Just my experience!

Ahh, some spirited debate. The best kind! ;)
I am curious if you have ever tried to see DEP and RDCT on the same night during high season and how that worked? And have you ever made it from DEP and into the hub and gotten a spot there to see RDCT either high season or low?

The only time we have successfully done this was in January. It was the last night of the peak holiday season, so I would consider it high season, although perhaps not as crowded as peak summer season. We did get a prime spot for the Believe fireworks at the end of Main Street close to the camera shop, just a bit back from the partners statue. Lots of snow here. :)

As far as the RDTC fireworks, we have never attempted to actually see them directly following the DEP. However, on Labor Day during the 50th, we did watch the DEP and managed to get out of the park immediately after and saw the lines going into DL weren't that bad. We easily would have had plenty of time to get into the parks for RDTC (perhaps not in the hub, but at least on Main Street or the Train Station -- which is a pretty great place to see it). Unfortunately, we had to drive back to AZ that night, so dh wanted to hit the road.

So, while I have never accomplished the DEP/RDTC specific combo during peak season, there are at least two others in this thread that have. And I have read about many others on other disney sites.

I will agree with you, Trey, that RDTC should be experienced at least once from the Hub or perhaps a few yards back on Main St, but I don't think that it has to be seen there every time. There are other great vantage points. I have seen it from IASW, FL, Splash Mountain, Train Station steps, and the jacuzzi at the HoJo. Each were awesome and memorable experiences.

While I can appreciate Disney's attempt to discourage viewing both on the same night because of crowd control, I guess I'm a rebel because I want to get the very most out of my disney dollar.

What I really want to attempt some time is the ultimate enterainment trifecta, which would include watching the DEP in DCA, catching the RDTC fireworks from the Train Station steps, then catching the train to NOS to see the 10:30 showing of F! Want to join me? ;) :goodvibes

I wouldn't say that we attempted this in peak season on purpose, but we got caught up in the stampede from DCA to DL a couple of days before Christmas last year.

I just couldn't believe the amounts of people who were angry (v. loudly) about why it was taking so long for them all to get through the turnstyles into DL. I mean, hello, several hundred people just had the exact thought as you did and the CMS are prepared for this by having (as far as I could see) all turnstyles open. It was probably the rudest, pushiest group of people that I had ever witnessed in all my years of Disney. I was afraid of getting seperated from DH, I couldn't imagine if we had kids how scary it would have been.

I wouldn't attempt it on purpose during the holidays, just to scary for me.

I will agree with you, Trey, that RDTC should be experienced at least once from the Hub or perhaps a few yards back on Main St, but I don't think that it has to be seen there every time. There are other great vantage points. I have seen it from IASW, FL, Splash Mountain, Train Station steps, and the jacuzzi at the HoJo. Each were awesome and memorable experiences.
FWIW I should add to my previous post that when I came out of DCA that night last June that I purposely looked over at the DL line because of you DangerMouse. I was thinking of you and only you when I gaged the line length and possibility of seeing RDCT that night if I had wanted to. And I do not disagree with you that it cannot be done (I usually point out to people it is possible if you have not already done so), but also say it is difficult depending on crowds and age of children. If one was solo and knew what they were doing I think it would be fairly doable on most if nights even during busy season.

I have never watched RDCT all the way through from anywhere else but the hub (I only get over to DLR once a year or so) but have seen parts of it from many places around DL and the Esplanade. I have never seen the IASW projections.

Suffice to say for me personally that there are many show aspects (aside from the castle projections) that make the hub (or possibly Main Street) the only place to see RDCT - for me. This includes the IJA fire blasts, the HM fireworks around the hub perimeter, and the Star Wars lasers.

If I visited DLR more often I might want to take in the show from other parts of DL, but usually it is a squeeze to get it in once per year for me. Heck, I only have seen RDCT all the way through three times. So for me viewing opportunities are precious and not to be risked. Again, my opinion, my visiting frequency, my family size and my relative value for each show all play into this.

What I really want to attempt some time is the ultimate enterainment trifecta, which would include watching the DEP in DCA, catching the RDTC fireworks from the Train Station steps, then catching the train to NOS to see the 10:30 showing of F! Want to join me? ;) :goodvibes
Would this be on the same trip that you try to ride every DL ride on the same day? We have never tried this, but considered it during our June trip for the fun of the challenge. But Nemo would have made it very difficult and I knew we would be wiped out on the day following so we put it off for another trip.

In any case, I hope DEP is around long enough for you to try it and report back here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter