ECV question about loading and unloading in car

alicia080979

DIS Veteran
DH tore all the ligaments in his ankle last night and is now the new owner of a walking boot for the next 3 weeks. We leave next Friday. I don't see how he could possibly walk around Disney for a week with that thing so I think renting a scooter is our only option. My main concern now is that we are staying at Bonnet Creek so using the Disney buses isn't really an option and I am going to have to load and unload it into the back of our SUV.

I know they come apart relatively quick and easy (I was up until 3am doing research on them bc I am stressed out about it now) but I also noticed that the largest piece is around 50-60lbs. Realistically how easy is it to get apart and in and out of a SUV? Is it easy enough that doing it a 2-3 times a day isn't a huge pain in the butt? I just hate that we won't be at a Disney resort where we could use the buses the entire time and not worry about it but it would cost a lot to cancel our other trip, lose that money and then rebook at Disney on such short notice.

Any advice and tips would be great! Oh and do they have a basket that I can at least toss my camera bag in so I don't have to carry it or is that an add-on? I might as well make use of it as much as I can!

Thanks so much!!!

I used to have a Go-Go scooter. I lifted off the seat (just held in place by gravity), then I lifted off the battery box (just held in place by gravity). What remained was the platform from front to back, and the front steering column. That was about 50 lbs. It was OK to handle. But my scooter could go further apart, the front of the platform separating from the back of the platform. I never did that, because I had a helper for lifting the entire platform intact.

So I guess it depends on what scooter you rent, based on DH's weight. If he can use the Go-Go Elite Traveller Plus, it would be much as I described above. Weight limit 275 for 3-wheel and 300 for 4-wheel model. If possible, the 3-wheel is much more maneuverable to use, and the battery charge will last the full park day.

DH could join you at the back of the SUV and, while leaning against the car, help you lift the 50 lb piece in and out. You could handle the seat and the battery, or DH could help by (again) balancing himself against the SUV.

Try as hard as you can to get a temporary handicap parking permit. If not possible, then when you get into the Disney theme park lots, stop at the first CM you see and tell him/her that you have a scooter in the car but no handicap permit. They will direct you to the area of the handicap parking (follow the blue painted stripe on the roadway). Although you can't park in any handicap-marked spaces, there are unmarked spaces nearby. Orange Co. Sheriffs regularly patrol these lots, so be aware of not parking in handicap-marked spots.

If you just parked in the regular lots, you couldn't board the tram with the scooter. It would be a safety hazard and a long walk to the park entrance without using the tram.

All the scooters I have ever seen have a front basket. Don't leave your valuables in there when you park the scooter. At Walmart, in the Office Supplies Dept., they have wristlets with a key ring attached. They look like the curly telephone cords. Get one of these to put the scooter key on, so when you park the scooter, you can take the key and put it on your wrist. Make sure to get some cheap emergency ponchos and empty Walmart bags to put over the controls and the seat if it looks like rain. Water will damage the controls. Buy a half dozen, $1 each. Cheaper than buying them from Disney on an emergency basis.

DH tore all the ligaments in his ankle last night and is now the new owner of a walking boot for the next 3 weeks. We leave next Friday. I don't see how he could possibly walk around Disney for a week with that thing so I think renting a scooter is our only option. My main concern now is that we are staying at Bonnet Creek so using the Disney buses isn't really an option and I am going to have to load and unload it into the back of our SUV.

I know they come apart relatively quick and easy (I was up until 3am doing research on them bc I am stressed out about it now) but I also noticed that the largest piece is around 50-60lbs. Realistically how easy is it to get apart and in and out of a SUV? Is it easy enough that doing it a 2-3 times a day isn't a huge pain in the butt? I just hate that we won't be at a Disney resort where we could use the buses the entire time and not worry about it but it would cost a lot to cancel our other trip, lose that money and then rebook at Disney on such short notice.

Any advice and tips would be great! Oh and do they have a basket that I can at least toss my camera bag in so I don't have to carry it or is that an add-on? I might as well make use of it as much as I can!

Thanks so much!!!

I own the HD model that Poohsie was describing to you. The 117 pound weight that I posted on your other thread is correct. I believe that you mentioned having an SUV? If that is the case, it is quite possible for your husband and yourself to lift the entire sooter, without taking it apart, into your SUV. My family does it all the time. If the weight is a problem for the two of you, it can be taken apart. You could also use an inexpensive luggage cart to take the battery to your room for charging. The rest of the scooter can remain in the SUV.

I do have to warn you the basket is quite small. It might fit your purse or camera bag, but not much more.

Thank you both so much for your input. I am really stressing out about how difficult it might be to have the ECV and the car. The Dr. we saw today (he was a nightmare) said no to the temporary handicap tag. He said if you have a walking boot then walk. We are going to ask our family Dr. to see if he will do it.

I bet DH and I could just pick it up, I hadn't really thought about that. Now that he has the boot on, he can move around and by next weekend hopefully will be even more used to it. He will need a big one though bc he is a big guy. Big, tall (6'4), former football player with huge legs and huge arms/shoulders. I think he is between 315-325 so I am guessing that will mean a larger ECV but DH can easily lift that alone so if I am helping maybe it won't be so bad.

He feels like he is ruining our vacation but I just want to make sure he is comfortable and doesn't do anymore damage to ankle while it is healing by pushing it too far too fast.

Are the ECVs comfortable for someone his size & height?

Thanks for all of your help! These things always happen at the perfect time;)

Thank you both so much for your input. I am really stressing out about how difficult it might be to have the ECV and the car. The Dr. we saw today (he was a nightmare) said no to the temporary handicap tag. He said if you have a walking boot then walk. We are going to ask our family Dr. to see if he will do it.

I bet DH and I could just pick it up, I hadn't really thought about that. Now that he has the boot on, he can move around and by next weekend hopefully will be even more used to it. He will need a big one though bc he is a big guy. Big, tall (6'4), former football player with huge legs and huge arms/shoulders. I think he is between 315-325 so I am guessing that will mean a larger ECV but DH can easily lift that alone so if I am helping maybe it won't be so bad.

He feels like he is ruining our vacation but I just want to make sure he is comfortable and doesn't do anymore damage to ankle while it is healing by pushing it too far too fast.

Here the application for Ohio for handicap tags if you look at the qui factions I think he fit under number one with the brace. I hope you can get your family dr to help because it make it easier for him and put less stress on the ankle.

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv4826.pdf

Here the Ohio DMV site about tags

http://bmv.ohio.gov/disability_placards.stm

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/disabled-drivers.php

We have a small 97 pound scooter. The heaviest piece is 28 pounds. My daughter can take it apart in 22 seconds - by herself!

We have the Gogo Elite Traveller. There is one made for those over 250 lbs. I think the seat & the battery are larger in that model. I think Apple Scooter rents these.

If you can't load the scooter in your SUV, the buses are good about scooters. I have only had 2 bus drivers in the last 5 years who moaned. The others were all cheery and made me feel like the ECV was not a problem.

I hope your hubby's ankle feels better, and heals quickly! :goodvibes

Your DH should find the ECV comfortable. Be sure the rental company has the right ECV for your DH's physique. Look at the models on the Website. I think the Walker, Randy's and Apple are your best, most safe bets.

It is said that the average person walks 9-10 miles per day at WDW. Your unfortunate Ortho Dr. doesn't seem like he is listening to you at all. And his cavalier comment that your DH doesn't need a temporary handicap placard is beyond heartless. What's it to him, anyway? I hope your family Dr. will give you the medical prescription you need to get the placard. The PP above has links for the form and the ODPS web page concerning application for the placard.

Looking at the application form, the reasons listed for needing a handicap placard are:
1. Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
2. Cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistive device.
3. Is restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty millimeters of mercury on room air at rest.
4. Uses portable oxygen.
5. Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association.
6. Is severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
7. Is blind.​

I think #2 and #6 both describe your DH's condition, as qualifiers for the placard.

You found the right place to look for useful info on visiting WDW while disabled. Most posters who responded here are using mobility equipment themselves or have experience with someone in their party using mobility equipment. WDW is very enlightened and trained about accessibility. I think that's why handicapped people and their families return time and again.

I bet you were very scared at first and thought your circumstances were over your head. We here know the ropes and are glad to help. WDW is very doable for your family. Your DH will always have to be looking ahead for people darting in his path. It will be tough to converse because he will have to focus on driving. Try to bend down towards him so he can hear you and not have to turn his head to make himself heard. And enjoy your trip. :)

I don't want to sound negative, and very likely the family doctor will comply, but the OP - her husband, really - should apply with the expectation of being denied. That way, if it's approved, great; and if not, well, they won't be too disappointed.

I'm just concerned that ligaments aren't orthopedic, and a walking cast isn't the same as a brace. Of course, this is coming from someone whose crazy ex-relative ws able to get a 'temporary' placard for the last three months of her no-risk pregnancy... and use it until the "baby" was five :rolleyes1.

But they should also see who qualifies to sign the form. It may not have to be a physician. That won't make a difference to the approval, but it might help get the form signed.

This is why the dr didn't give him one He affraid

Physicians or chiropractors who issue prescriptions to applicants who don't fit the disability criteria face a misdemeanor charge, up to six months in jail, and a fine of up to $1,000.

Thanks for the placard info. The Dr. yesterday was just a jerk all around so we weren't really suprised by his comments. I'm sure our family Dr. will give him one, he only needs it for the shortest term available. He can't drive right now so I am dropping him off at doors and then going to park myself so that's not a big deal either.

If not, my mother is coming on the trip with us and she has really bad bursistis in her hips so she has her own placard. Can't we just use hers or is that illegal? Keep in mind she will always be with us. We would never use someone's that wasn't ours if that person wasn't with us. She walks at Disney for the most part but we just take lots of breaks for her, go slow and push her in a wheelchair when they are really bothering her or after a long day. Having her with us will help us keep slow for DH too.

I am going to call some ECV people today to get prices and get something lined up.

Thank you all again!

Thanks for the placard info. The Dr. yesterday was just a jerk all around so we weren't really suprised by his comments. I'm sure our family Dr. will give him one, he only needs it for the shortest term available. He can't drive right now so I am dropping him off at doors and then going to park myself so that's not a big deal either.

If not, my mother is coming on the trip with us and she has really bad bursistis in her hips so she has her own placard. Can't we just use hers or is that illegal? Keep in mind she will always be with us. We would never use someone's that wasn't ours if that person wasn't with us. She walks at Disney for the most part but we just take lots of breaks for her, go slow and push her in a wheelchair when they are really bothering her or after a long day. Having her with us will help us keep slow for DH too.

I am going to call some ECV people today to get prices and get something lined up.

Thank you all again!

The hangtag is for the person, not the car. As long as she is with you, you can legally use the hangtag for your SUV.

I just called and got the following prices:

DH is a big guy so at each place we need the heavy duty scooter for 7 nights/8 days.

Walker: $304
Randy's: $200
Apple: $190

Walker said they have on property people to help if there is an issue. Is that worth the price of $100+ more in anyone's experience? They also have the lightest at ~120lbs.

Apple & Walker both have waterproof ECVs but they said you just have to avoid puddles. Randy's said you have to get it covered and out of the rain.

Right now I am going between Walker & Apple...can anyone shed some light on whether Walker is worth the additional price? Both ECVs are Heavy Duty for 350+ lbs even though DH is less than that it seems that would be better for battery life. Those prices are also for the extended battery.

alicia080979 said:
If not, my mother is coming on the trip with us and she has really bad bursistis in her hips so she has her own placard. Can't we just use hers or is that illegal? Keep in mind she will always be with us. We would never use someone's that wasn't ours if that person wasn't with us.
While there's a current thread elsewhere on the DIS that would like to have readers think otherwise ;), laws are pretty standard from state to state. It appears you'd be complying without even knowing it: the person for/to whom the placard is issued must be entering or exiting the vehicle.

None of this 'placard holder sitting in the back seat, or even the driver's seat, for five or fifteen minutes or an hour while one or more other persons in the car run an errand or go food shopping' :rolleyes2 No, I'm not the Placard Police; no, I don't compare the photo to the occupant on the rare occasion it's visible; yes, it's possible the placard is issued to the forty year old running across the roadway to the store and not the 75 year old in the passenger seat... ;).

Can anyone help me decide if the prices I posted from Walker are worth having them onsite? I am just worried about something happening with the scooter but $100 savings is nice too since the scooter was never in the budget to begin with.

DH got his handicap placard yesterday for 3 months from our family Dr. He had no problem giving it to him, he said that is exactly what they are for...a temporary disability. I am glad we were able to get an appt. with DH's regular Ortho before leave too. Hopefully, we can find out if things are healing right. DH hopes the Dr. says he can take the boot off and walk at Disney. I don't see how that is possible but I will keep praying for a miracle!

Last night DH took a walk with me & our pups for a little over a mile and said it felt okay at the time but today he was pretty sore so he may have overdone it. He is just trying to get used to having it on but the downside of walking a lot with it...it is causing back pain bc his stride/gait is off now:sad2:

Are you sure your DH really wants to still go? I know you will be disapointed and lose some money but doesn't sound like it will be fun for him.

1. There are three "levels" of ECV. The lightest, or travel ECV, is designed for about a 200-250 pound limit. The medium, or Standard ECV, has a normal capacity of about 350 pounds. Thed heavy-duty has capacity from about 400-600 pounds. It sounds as if your DH can used a standard.

2. On a travel ECV the heaviest part is about 30 pounds, on a standard it is in the 40-45 pound rage, and a heavy duty is in the 60 pound ranges.

3. If you look at Post #5 of the disABILITIES FAQs it describes disassembling and reassembling an ECV, and some storage whiles driving, ideas.

Are you sure your DH really wants to still go? I know you will be disapointed and lose some money but doesn't sound like it will be fun for him.

Yeah, I have asked him over and over if he is sure he doesn't want to cancel. We have APs, were just there in November and will be back in September but he does not want to miss this trip at all. He has been working 55-60 hours a week the past few months so he said he needs this trip. He said if he isn't up to, he is fine just sitting at the condo relaxing and not being at work.

We have another ortho appt. Tuesday so we will see what the Dr. says but I went ahead and reserved a scooter with Apple so I feel like we at least have a plan. I feel bad for him because instead of it getting better the past week, it has actually gotten worse and been more painful each day. Time will tell and I think it is going to take a while to heal so we are going to have to be patient.

I can plan our trips until my heart is content but you can't plan everything and just have to roll with the punches sometimes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter