ebay dispute-HELP! update p. 2

belle&beast

DIS Veteran
I have been selling on ebay for about a year and have never had a problem. Tonight I came home and found that there is a dispute that someting I sold is not in working condition. It was checked before it was listed and was fine. The buyer did not contact me directly and put a hold on my paypal account for twice the amount that the items costs because he purchased more than one item, so the whole amount is being held. I should add that this is over $200. I responded to his post in the dispute with some directions on how to use the item and offered a refund upon its return if he is still unable to get it to work properly. I feel sick to my stomach, because I know it was working and I cannot afford to lose that money! He has my items and my money is being held. Any suggestions or comments?

Answer everything via the dispute system so PP knows you are responding. Did he file it immediately upon receipt of the item?

Did you write down the serial number of the products you sold? I know a lot of people will switch their broken item with a working one they just bought off of ebay and claim the one they bought doesn't work and file for their money back.

"As a seller, you probably had that "buyer guarantee" language displayed on your auction which allows them to file complaints like that and the funds being held on your account. There is a way to opt out of that.

When you pay with PayPal for an item covered by PayPal Buyer Protection, you may receive coverage up to $1,000 at no additional cost. To see if an item is covered by PayPal Buyer Protection, look for the following in the "seller information" section of the seller's listing.

"Transactions Covered by PayPal Buyer Protection

PayPal Buyer Protection helps you in the event you do not receive your item or the item is significantly different from its description in the seller’s listing. An item is covered by PayPal Buyer Protection if it meets the following eligibility requirements.

The "Free PayPal Buyer Protection" message is displayed in the seller listing information.
You purchase your item on eBay.
You must use PayPal to pay for the item, and use the seller's email address associated with the listing. To make sure of this, use the gray Pay Now button when the eBay listing ends.
The seller's eBay listing is for a physical item. Services and intangible items are not covered.
You may only file one claim per PayPal payment. You are limited to three PayPal Buyer Protection refunds per calendar year.
Claims must be filed within 45 days of the PayPal payment.
There may be other requirements that apply to your item. Learn more about PayPal Buyer Protection."

Search: Have a question? Find your answer fast.

(Example: "Can I add another email address?")
Search Tips

Protection Policies - PayPal Buyer Protection - Sellers

" Can a seller opt-out of PayPal Buyer Protection?"

Yes. If you are not satisfied with the program, you may opt-out by contacting PayPal customer support. To do this, log in to your PayPal account and click "Help" in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Go to the "Contact Us" link and then choose "Help by Phone." There you'll find the hours and phone number of a customer support center near you. Please keep in mind, however, that sellers are encouraged to take advantage of this beneficial program. The added protection provided by PayPal Buyer Protection, will give your customers a reason to do business with you rather than someone else. PayPal Buyer Protection will also attract new buyers who will be able to buy more confidently.

my3kids said:
Answer everything via the dispute system so PP knows you are responding. Did he file it immediately upon receipt of the item?
Yes it was filed right away. I just was surprised he did not try to contact us before filing.

summerrluvv said:
Did you write down the serial number of the products you sold? I know a lot of people will switch their broken item with a working one they just bought off of ebay and claim the one they bought doesn't work and file for their money back. [/I]
No, I didn't think to do that. Usually I sell clothing or household items. This was for my DH and he checked wverything before it was even listed. It is frustrating because we are honest sellers with 100% positive feedback and there doesn't seem to be protection for us.

Its going to hurt his case that he didn't contact you, as far I know he MUST try contacting you first!

belle&beast said:
No, I didn't think to do that. Usually I sell clothing or household items. This was for my DH and he checked wverything before it was even listed. It is frustrating because we are honest sellers with 100% positive feedback and there doesn't seem to be protection for us.

Well, for future reference write everything down. How is this guys feedback? Any indication from previous feedback left for him or others that there was some sort of problem with other items? Maybe shipping caused the item not to work? What exactly was the item?

I once sold a watch to someone that included a free pair of earrings. They were fine when I shipped them, but the woman said the earring was broken. The post separated from the earring. Now I know they weren't like that when I shipped them. She filed under the guarantee and got her money back and she got to keep the item. :rolleyes:

summerrluvv said:
Well, for future reference write everything down. How is this guys feedback? Any indication from previous feedback left for him or others that there was some sort of problem with other items? Maybe shipping caused the item not to work? What exactly was the item?

I once sold a watch to someone that included a free pair of earrings. They were fine when I shipped them, but the woman said the earring was broken. The post separated from the earring. Now I know they weren't like that when I shipped them. She filed under the guarantee and got her money back and she got to keep the item. :rolleyes:
This is a real estate transmitter that the agent puts in a home and potential buyers can listen to a description about the house. He won 2 of them and paid for both in the same invoice, but they were shipped in their own boxes. The whole amount is being held I am guessing because it was paid in one sum. His feedback from sellers is great, his buyers have left negative. THe total is around 98.5.

NHTikiBeckie said:
Its going to hurt his case that he didn't contact you, as far I know he MUST try contacting you first!
That was my thought too.

summerrluvv said:

How could she get money back for something that was free? She didn't pay anything for the earrings.

babiesX2 said:
That was my thought too.

How could she get money back for something that was free? She didn't pay anything for the earrings.

The auction was for the watch with a pair of bonus earrings (ugly as sin) that came in the box.

summerrluvv said:
The auction was for the watch with a pair of bonus earrings (ugly as sin) that came in the box.
Right. They were a bonus in additon to the watch. The watch was fine. Hmmm, I do this all the time to "sweeten the pot" for an auction. I don't sell broken stuff (and I don't think you did either). The items I "give away as free bonuses" are just stuff that is ugly or just not in perfect enough condition to be sold on their own. I may stop taking Paypal. I've been considering this for a while now because of the many problems I read about sellers experiencing (both here and on the Ebay forums).

this is why i wont be ebay
i have coach bags and kids stuff galore
i am sorry and hope it works out for you

I agree that the seller gets no protection from paypal. I am tired of using them but feel as if my loss is little if compared to all I sell, although sickening. And that people like to pay with paypal.

Good luck! I don't have much experience with a claim for an item broken or different or whatever it is called. I once sent the wrong item and the guy made a claim before contacting me, upon my reply he contacted me and I sent the right item, he chose to keep the wrong item too and he paid me a decreased amount (that we agreed upon). They were playmobil christmas toys and I just grabbed the wrong one without thinking. But paypal never had anything to do with it after the point of the initial contact.

I don't believe you have to contact the seller first. It is recommended that you try to work everything out before filing a claim. Now, PayPal has a system that allows you to communicate via them to the seller/buyer before filing a claim. You can go directly to filing a claim, but I think that PayPal may look at that funny.

Now, if PayPal does find in his favor, they are supposed to make him send the item back with delivery confirmation. When they see that you have received the item, a refund will be granted.

That is how Paypal is "suppose" to work, whether or not they actually do that in this case is a nother story.

Good Luck!

Oh, was the item insured? If so you could look into filing a claim with the shipping company.

DisneyGirl4188 said:
I don't believe you have to contact the seller first. It is recommended that you try to work everything out before filing a claim. Now, PayPal has a system that allows you to communicate via them to the seller/buyer before filing a claim. You can go directly to filing a claim, but I think that PayPal may look at that funny.

Now, if PayPal does find in his favor, they are supposed to make him send the item back with delivery confirmation. When they see that you have received the item, a refund will be granted.

That is how Paypal is "suppose" to work, whether or not they actually do that in this case is a nother story.

Good Luck!

Oh, was the item insured? If so you could look into filing a claim with the shipping company.
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. The item was not insured, I think from now on I will include insurance in the shipping cost- it is available, but he chose not to insure. I have no problem giving a refund, but I want the item back. Plus, the WHOLE amount of the sale is frozen and the item was only half the amount.

belle&beast said:
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. The item was not insured, I think from now on I will include insurance in the shipping cost- it is available, but he chose not to insure. I have no problem giving a refund, but I want the item back. Plus, the WHOLE amount of the sale is frozen and the item was only half the amount.

I think that if he choose not to insure it, he may be out of luck. From now on, you could either state that insurance is required or that it's optional, but you aren't responsible for damaged items.

I wish he would respond to me! He was quick to open a dispute, but then has not responded to me. I would like this to be resolved as soon as possible- I do not enjoy this kind of conflict and the money is another big issue. We are selling things because we need the money, and now it is locked up. I know it has to be resolved within the month, but does he have to respond promptly?

The buyer responded and said he did not email me because he was letting me know about the problem via the way he paid. He is not being nasty at all, but is adamant that the transmitter is defective. It worked before shipping, so my next question was whether or not the box seemed damaged from shipping. Insurance was optional and he did not opt to buy it. Am I responsible? That doesn't seem right when he had the opportunity to insure. By the way, I do not hike up my shipping costs, they are very close to the exact shipping amounts.

For an item that costs that much money he should have bought insurance! I buy LOTS of things on Ebay (from less then $10 to about $200) and I always opt for insurance for the more expensive items.

Good Luck!

Stepht5 said:
For an item that costs that much money he should have bought insurance! I buy LOTS of things on Ebay (from less then $10 to about $200) and I always opt for insurance for the more expensive items.

Good Luck!
I agree, I always do, too. He has not responded to my question about whether or not the box was damaged during shipping.

Does anyone know the ebay/paypal policy on lack of insurance? I DID NOT sell a broken item and I am so afraid I am going to lose a lot of money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter