Eat at Home 3!

Does anyone have a good method for organizing your recipes? I used to have email folders set up for recipes to try and another for recipes that we've tried and liked. But, now with recipes all over, I just haven't really found a good method.

Just wondering what others use? Everyone here seems so organized.

Ummm, I don't really cook with recipes...I usually cook by memory and feel. If I can't remember something or need a good "base" recipe to work from, I hit Epicurious for mostly the cooking times and temps (this is also where I know my base muffin recipe is, the one I usually grab the most) - I also have a link to Pioneer Women's Turkey Pot Pie that I use as a base cook time/temp for all my pot pies (chicken, pork, turkey with every different veg and crust under the sun). I also keep a Good Housekeeping chart on my fridge for roasting 15 different veg (ripped it out a few years ago and it's so useful b/c it's my hubby's favorite way to eat veggies). I've got a lot of standards that I alter at will to fit what I'm in the mood for and what my fridge has, rather than 100s of different recipes and most of the standards, I just know...

I know it's not a big help, but watching Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals, Alton Brown's Good Eats, and Chopped (which my kids always threaten they will sign me up for b/c they are amazed what I can do with a lot of random items that need using up:)) just help make cooking more intuitive and less reliant on recipes/organization...it helps you to know what flavors work and what won't...

Does anyone have a good method for organizing your recipes? I used to have email folders set up for recipes to try and another for recipes that we've tried and liked. But, now with recipes all over, I just haven't really found a good method.

Just wondering what others use? Everyone here seems so organized.

I actually subscribe to a magazine (Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious) that I have been getting since DH and I got married- my stepmom got me a subscription for a few years and I've kept it up as it's only like $10 a year. Some I follow, some I use ideas for and change to fit our tastes, then I use those that we like to make again later. Like TwoMisfits said, over the years I've just learned to cook by taste and feel, and reference things when I need them like specific times, temperatures, measurements, etc. If it's a recipe that is really specific I have a recipe box with index cards, but mostly I cook from memory. Baking I keep recipes for and have them organized in a binder. I don't like to keep things on the computer because I like to have them to look at in the kitchen.

Also as noted above, watching those cooking shows can help give you ideas that aren't as specific so you don't really need a true recipe. (Younger DS and I love watching Chopped together too!) Maybe you could make up a notebook with tabs and organize them into different main ingredients, or ones to try vs. ones you would make again. You could also list combinations of main dishes and sides you like together.

I lived next to a Winco for two years and obviously the store is just 90% better than most expensive grocery stores because of lower prices. However, the place I moved to is a mixed bag. I have a Raleys (arguably more expensive than even Safeway) and a 99 Cent Store near me now. I've been staying away from the Raleys mostly since the 99 store has a surprising selection of food. They have cartons of 18 eggs for $2.50 which I've been hard boiling for the past week, which I'm assuming is healthier than Cup O' Noodles :p. They even have some fish fillets for $.99 even if it's cheap types of fish, although some of the boxes of fish are way past due (3 weeks for one box) so I need to look at each bag which is angering since I know not every customer will and the store checking the dates of their limited perishables requires little time for even just one person after closing. I'm going to look at fish recipies soon so I'm looking forward to that... Assuming I don't get sick from expired fish ;p

Back from Gen Con (well, I didn't go anywhere since I live in Indianapolis, but you know what I mean) and I am exhausted. Like body aching, why the heck am I up exhausted. I need to get to the store at some point today and here is my plan.

Sunday: Gen Con

Monday: Grocery Day Rotisserie chicken, baked potato, slaw

Tuesday: 9-5:30 Baked potato and vegetables/Leftovers

Wednesday: 9-3 Chicken and potato/Chicken Alfredo and Broccoli

Thursday: Fair with friends? Eggs and toast if needed

Friday: 7-3 Leftovers/Hamburgers, corn on the cob, mac and cheese

Saturday: 7-3 Leftovers/Leftovers

Sunday: 9-3 Leftovers/French Onion Pork Chops, mashed potatoes, green beans

Monday: 1-8 Leftovers/Leftovers

Tuesday: Fair with friend

Wednesday: Slow cooker Italian Chicken, noodles/rice, broccoli

Thursday: 5-11 Leftovers/Leftovers

Friday: 9-5:30 Leftovers/Leftovers

Saturday: Eggs and hashbrowns

What a week! It was tax free weekend here so prepping for that and working this past weekend was nuts- I am worn out! I was supposed to be off today but had to go in to lead a team I called in early and have a strategic meeting with two other managers because we are supposed to have "visitors" this week. Because my schedule is now dependent on that and DS has band 4-9 with a half hour dinner break, I just went to the store and picked up easy stuff to fill in randomly. This is my plan:

Tonight: deli wrap with chips and carrots for DS, tortellini with tomato pesto sauce for DH and I
Tue: chicken sandwiches with fruit
Wed: soft tacos
Thu: chicken veggie casserole
Fri: pork chops with corn on the cob and garlic bread

This week the menu plan was really based on what we already had in the fridge/cupboard- grocery bill was only $30 this week!

Monday: Honey soy chicken drumsticks with brown rice and broccoli
Tuesday: Turkey chili with garlic bread
Wednesday: Lasagna and caesar salad
Thursday: Cajun chicken breasts with rice, beans and veggies
Friday: Leftover stir fry (a frozen meat from the fridge with chopped veggies- whatever is hanging around! and homemade stirfry sauce)
Saturday: Sausage and perogies with sour cream and bacon

Ummm, I don't really cook with recipes...I usually cook by memory and feel. If I can't remember something or need a good "base" recipe to work from, I hit Epicurious for mostly the cooking times and temps (this is also where I know my base muffin recipe is, the one I usually grab the most) - I also have a link to Pioneer Women's Turkey Pot Pie that I use as a base cook time/temp for all my pot pies (chicken, pork, turkey with every different veg and crust under the sun). I also keep a Good Housekeeping chart on my fridge for roasting 15 different veg (ripped it out a few years ago and it's so useful b/c it's my hubby's favorite way to eat veggies). I've got a lot of standards that I alter at will to fit what I'm in the mood for and what my fridge has, rather than 100s of different recipes and most of the standards, I just know...

I know it's not a big help, but watching Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals, Alton Brown's Good Eats, and Chopped (which my kids always threaten they will sign me up for b/c they are amazed what I can do with a lot of random items that need using up:)) just help make cooking more intuitive and less reliant on recipes/organization...it helps you to know what flavors work and what won't...

I figured I'd mention a "standard" I have as an example - meatloaf. It uses 1 1/2-2lbs of ground protein with 2 eggs, a wet, a dry, salt/pepper, and optional extras and cooks for 45 minutes to one hour at 350 degrees. I can make tons of different dishes just knowing this like...

Ground chicken, shredded apples, dried/fresh sage, bread crumbs, 2 eggs, s&p
Ground turkey, canned whole berry cranberry sauce, stuffing mix, 2 eggs, s&p
Ground lamb, greek yogurt, feta crumbs, bread crumb, 2 eggs, mint, parsley, s&p
1/2 Ground pork or sausage with 1/2 ground beef, grated onion, marinara sauce, parm or mozza, Italian bread crumb, 2 eggs, basil, s&p (Italian)
Ground beef, grated onion, ketchup, mustard, cheddar, 2 eggs, bread crumb, s&p (Cheeseburger)
Ground beef, grated onion, real bacon bits, blue cheese, ketchup, 2 eggs, bread crumb, s&p (Bacon Blue Cheeseburger)
Ground beef, diced chilis/fresh jalapeno, salsa, bread crumb, 2 eggs, s&p, fresh cilantro (Mexican)
Ground beef, grated onion, 2 eggs, ketchup, bread crumb, s&p (50s style)

I could go on, but it's knowing how to make the "base" and then knowing what flavors go together:)...and what flavors your family likes:)...I've done many more versions than these, but I wanted to provide a lot of variety to see what I was taking about...

PS - I can also turn any of these into meatloaf "muffins" by using a cupcake tin and cooking at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so, doubling the "newness" of all the recipes for the family (thank you Rachel Ray for that idea)...

Vegetables are whatever comes out of the garden supplemented by the freezer.

This week's plan:
Monday - pizza, zucchini mushroom on one pie, pepperoni and spinach on the other one. I am going to use the oh so good stinky cheese.
Tuesday - I am making spaghetti today for tomorrow. I have two jars of canned tomatoes to use up from last year. They were hiding behind the pickles.
Wednesday - spiral ham, apple sauce
Thursday - chicken Alfredo with glorious stinky cheese
Friday - beef tacos (they would eat tacos everyday, all day if I let them) with home made salsa.
Saturday - chicken tacos, I STILL have that lime taco sauce.
Sunday - Rosemary chicken (yup still have that sauce) and potatoes.

The lunch plan is:
bbq chicken sandwiches, grapes, carrots, pretzels
bbq chicken sandwiches, watermelon or cantaloupe, celery, carrots, pretzels (kid is a pretzel junkie)
pbj, banana, pringles
ham sandwich, plums, cheeze its
ham sandwich, mandarin oranges, red grapes, cheeze its

Last edited:
Last Week:

Monday- leftover pizza and salad (we had leftover pizza and salad)
Tuesday- stirfry with leftovers from the fondue (we had stirfry- yum as it had chicken, pork and beef!)
Wednesday- tacos and fixings (had tacos, salad etc)
Thursday- ribs, salad, baked potatoes (leftover tacos)
Friday- butter chicken and veg, rice and nan (casserole out of the freezer, garden salad)
Saturday- family dinner at farm- MIL will cook (DH and DD had a special treat out- local rib festival competition- I wasn't feeling great so stayed home and had soup)
Sunday- salmon, rice, some sort of veg

This Week-

Monday- chili (had chili)
Tuesday- hmm not sure (we had chilli dogs and fries, salad and peaches)
Wednesday- my nieces birthday party- so whatever is served (nice birthday picnic)
Thursday- going to cook a turkey I've had in my freezer- use the leftovers for stayhomemom77's Alfredo lasagna (butter chicken from the freezer)
Friday- leftovers I'm thinking (cooked the turkey)
Saturday- thinking frozen soup as we have a bunch still
Sunday- may be out as going to see my pony show - if not something easy like stirfry

Last edited:
This is my first week back to work in quite some time. One of my goals is to not overspend at the grocery. While at home I had time to menu plan and cook from scratch because I had extra time. Wish me luck!

Monday was steak on the grill, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.

Tonight was eggs scrambled with spinach, tomatoes and green onions. I toasted some sourdough and put a slice of Swiss for sandwiches.

Tomorrow is two frozen veggie pizzas. I can sometimes find interesting ones that are actually pretty good.

Thursday is leftover steak and mashed potatoes. The corner is gone so I will make a salad.

Friday is egg salad sandwiches and salad from the previous night.

I don't have any plans for the weekend, but I will need to go food shopping anyhow. Trying to be strong on the weekends as I recall I used to say, oh it's the weekend no cooking for me, lol.

This is my first week back to work in quite some time. One of my goals is to not overspend at the grocery. While at home I had time to menu plan and cook from scratch because I had extra time. Wish me luck!

Monday was steak on the grill, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.

Tonight was eggs scrambled with spinach, tomatoes and green onions. I toasted some sourdough and put a slice of Swiss for sandwiches.

Tomorrow is two frozen veggie pizzas. I can sometimes find interesting ones that are actually pretty good.

Thursday is leftover steak and mashed potatoes. The corner is gone so I will make a salad.

Friday is egg salad sandwiches and salad from the previous night.

I don't have any plans for the weekend, but I will need to go food shopping anyhow. Trying to be strong on the weekends as I recall I used to say, oh it's the weekend no cooking for me, lol.

I also don't cook much weekends...but I've found if I pick up the "takeout deals" from the grocery store (which always has them Fridays), my family is happy enough with those proteins, uncooked fresh fruit and/or veg, and either chips or muffins/breads I've made Friday morning that last 2-3 days. So, I cook nothing Saturday (my spouse can plate this up with me not lifting a finger) and very little Friday and between leftovers and these grocery takeout items, we save probably $100+ by not eating out those 2 nights (and instead spending the $10-$15 on beautiful chicken tenders, cold fried chicken, large subs, rotisserie chicken, deli calzones, deli pizzas, etc)...

I guess it would be even cheaper for me to scratch cook a chicken, but like you, I need at least one day off...

Camp week next week (morning and afternoon drop offs/pick ups for all the different ages), so it will be a little nutty. I stocked up on fruit for easy:)...
Friday - Italian subs, Bananas and Blueberries
Saturday - Chicken Tenders, Double Blueberry Muffins, Strawberries
Sunday (our anniversary) - Blue cheese crusted Filet Mignon (got an AMAZING price today for this - marked down to $7.50/lb from $20/lb, so I totally lucked out with 2 9oz filets for $9 total:)), Red Wine Sauce, Carmelized Onions, Mashed Potatoes, Caesar Salad
Monday - Cheese Tortellini, Roasted Zucchini, Pluots
Tuesday - Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, Tator Tots, Red Grapes
Wednesday - Dorito Chicken Tacos, Double Apple Cinnamon Muffins, Remaining Berries
Thursday - Pioneer Women Pasta with Eggplant (trying this with poached chicken added for protein), Creamed Kale, Remaining Pluots and Grapes

Sunday: pork tenderloin, roasted carrots, roasted asparagus
Monday: BBQ beef brisket, chips, corn on cob
Tuesday: homemade bacon/veggie quiche, garden salad
Wednesday: stir fry chicken/vegetable pita sandwiches, watermelon
Thursday: grilled avocado, tomato and cheese sandwiches, arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette
Friday: Parmesan chicken, Caesar salad

We have been doing well since mom came home from the hospital. She has had some more energy and been helping with dinner prep when I work late.

Tonight we had croissant French toast with bacon and fruit

Tomorrow night I close so dinner will be leftovers from the week

Sunday I am making lasagna with salad and garlic bread.

Monday is chicken stir fry with rice

Tuesday will be leftover lasagna

Wednesday will be pork tenderloin with potato salad and Brussel sprouts

Thursday we will eat downtown as we are seeing Paul McCartney in concert

My guys are on a kayaking camp out this weekend while I am stuck here working the last big weekend before school starts Monday! DS will have band practice Mon., Tue., and Thu. till 7:30, then games Fri. nights. I'll include my work schedule too. Plans for this week are:

Tonight (1-11): they are eating at camp out, I am taking leftovers
Sun (11-8): leftover Mexican chicken casserole
Mon (7-5): 'homemade' pizza with various toppings
Tue (off): loaded burgers with fruit and chips
Wed (12:30-9:30): Asian marinated pork chops with rice and peas
Thu (12:30-9:30): hash brown ham skillet
Fri (8-5): lemon chicken with broccoli and cheesy garlic bread

For those of you with kids in sports, can you recommend some quick, easy dinners for practice nights? My son starts football tomorrow night, which will have us out of the house 4 nights a week. I plan on using the crock pot a couple times a week. Also, any suggestions for easy/healthy snacks to pack in the car to nibble on?

I leave next Monday for a work trip for 4 days. I will be stocking the freezer with red sauce and baked chicken for DH while I am gone. Plus we have a stocked pantry of pasta, canned soup, and such. So when I get back early Thursday afternoon I will be seeing what is leftover and going from there. I love reading what everyone else is having though!!

For those of you with kids in sports, can you recommend some quick, easy dinners for practice nights? My son starts football tomorrow night, which will have us out of the house 4 nights a week. I plan on using the crock pot a couple times a week. Also, any suggestions for easy/healthy snacks to pack in the car to nibble on?

I made a video on how to make your own dole whip like the one from the parks! It's really easy and great for kids! Hope this helps :)

Gym Mom here. The biggest time saver for me is precooking ground beef before I freeze it. I can dump a bag frozen into a pan, and dump jarred or frozen salsa on it and have tacos in 10 minutes. When I cook chicken breast I will often grill or bake 2-3 meals worth and use it for lunches or salads. When i cook rice, I make sure I have two meals that use it and do a double batch. My daughter works out 3.5 hours 4 days a week. She eats air popped popcorn with grated cheese and lots of butter (she needs the fat) mostly.

This is my plan this week:

Pork roast, gravy, potatoes, peas (Tiana4 the pork is in the crock pot, and I am going to make a triple batch of mashed potatoes and freeze them.)

BLTs and fruit salad X 2 because our tomatoes are coming in (Tiana4 I will make all the bacon at the same time, and make double batch fruit salad.)

Chicken chili lime tacos...you know the thing we have been trying to eat for a month.

Fancy salad with sliced chicken (Tiana4 the chicken is from the night before, I triple batch it.)

Chicken Alfredo and a freezer veggie or leftover salad (chicken from previous nights and I can make real Alfredo in the time it takes to boil pasta.)

Home made pizza with asiago cheese, real sausage, and carmelized onion, mushroom plus a side salad

Lunch will be:

Pulled pork sandwich with home made pickles, watermelon, cutie orange, pretzels, pb crackers

Pulled pork sandwich with home made pickles, watermelon, peach, pretzels, pb crackers

Pbj, 2-3 bananas, pretzels, cherry tomatoes

Ham sandwich, banana, regular orange, pretzel, mini cucumbers (store bought our vines died wah)

Ditto

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter