Easy Access Card - Doctors Note may not be sufficient anymore

Vala

DIS Veteran
I'm putting the thread title as it is cause I had stories changing when getting by card way too often.

My AP expired, so off I had to get my Diabled Priority Card renewed. Ever since my GP convinced me it was better for me to get the card I had the green one and it's been three years now.

So I went to the AP office on April 4 - after them closing the door in my face before official closing time the night before, but that's a different story. :sad2:

I had all my doctor's letters. A renewed one like they asked me to bring last time and the older ones to prove it was an ongoing issue. The CM looked at the paper for 5 minutes, then went backstage and finally came back telling me I couldn't get a pass. Ummm... what's wrong this time? She couldn't explain, but I wasn't getting a pass. I asked for a manager.

Manager came out and proceeded to tell me that doctor's notes were not accepted for EACs, I could only get one if I had a legal disability and a disability card. I pulled up the website and showed him the part about a doctor's note. Also told him that I had the card for 3 years and I didn't understand what the problem was.

But no, instead of an explanation I was rudely informed that I "should not have got the card in the first place." At that point I was just happy that boyfriend wasn't with me cause that would have been the point where he would have flipped and likely got us thrown out of the park. I don't know in what world this response is appropriate, but certainly not in the world of customer service I work in.

I tried to keep my cool and was finally told I could get the orange card - which at that point I thought would maybe be okay for my needs. But: I would have to line up daily and get a new one. Umm... if you don't want to give it to me for the duration of my AP fine, but can I please have one for length of stay? :scared: I thought that's how it was always done and had considered myself lucky when I got them marked for the duration of my AP in the past.

After a lot of going back and forth I ended up with the orange card good for the duration of my AP. Which feels very weird cause the whole thing is marked "temporary illness", and I am not temporarily sick. I clearly got the vibe that this only happened because I didn't give up and they realized they wouldn't get rid of me.

There were a lot of families in line with that issue and at least two groups walked away empty handed. It got really bad.

There's abuse of the system no doubt. But if they want to change things they need to announce it timely and not randomly decide to toss it at people. People need time to plan if they're not getting the help they need anymore.

My bad surprise (hence the "thought it would work") came then when I tried to use the orange card for the parade special viewings area for the parade and Dreams. After that incident I had a really bad flare up and would have needed to sit down to have any chance to enjoy these events. I was refused entry both times, they said the orange pass would not allow me access.

Yeah. Very unhappy now as you can imagine. I tried City Hall but was basically told as I am an AP holder I am not their problem. I will try writing in of course, but I never heard back last time they accused me of bringing a fake certificate, so I highly doubt I will get a reaction now.

For us that means that in the end we will vote with our wallet and not come back once the APs expired. We were toying with not renewing anyway, but the announcement of Thumper and Miss Bunny meeting had swayed us one last time.

On a related note, there is no longer a designated handicapped area for that Stars N Cars Meet either.

I saw managers taking the characters to a couple of kids in wheelchairs. But a little autistic boy was standing there waiting and it didn't seem like anyone was paying attention to him from the CM side. He ended up running in the circle trying to get to Minnie twice.

If that's the new way they do it I must say that doesn't seem fair. I'm really hoping I missed something there.

Last edited:
I have read on English speaking forums various stories about this but nobody really gets told the same thing. I'll have a look at the French website but I would be suprised if it mentions a "note" as doctors don't give notes here, you would have a letter from the social security or a medical certificate stating your disabilty.

I remember a few years back when they changed the system round there were a lot of complaints and uneasy situations but what happenned to you shouldn't happen to anyone especially with you being an AP holder of many years.

The exact term used on the English site is "Medical Certificate", yes. But people on here are saying all the time "bring a letter from your doctor", that's why I called it doctors note. It's kind of the colloquial term for it, I've seen it used here a lot. I had a form that's used for international travel and even titled "Medical Certificate."

If you can change the title to reflect that maybe? I tried and I can't.

Social Security won't give me a letter, they only hand out the cards. And thank god they caught my medical issue before it got bad enough that enough damage was done to make me entitled to get recognized as legally disabled.

I have been told various stories over the years too, but that morning they were very steady and turning everyone away with the same stoy.

Last edited:
Just checked it's a card of various sorts depending on disabilty or your "blue badge" or a medical certificate of less than 3 months which while have been made out by a higher body than your doctor.

Nobody seems to be complaining over on DCP yet but I will keep a look out and hopefully someone will get to the bottom of this as it will be very destressing to a lot of visitors over the coming months.

Hope you get a solution :hug:

That seems to be the page I pulled up on my phone to show the guy. I was just glad I had paid for the international roaming or I would have been in trouble.

I've written a letter meanwhile, e-mail seems to go without any sort of effect anyway. At least I never get a reply last time and that was a pretty big issue already.

When I counted there were 6 groups having the problem. Me with my certificate, one lady who had a temporary letter from French Social Security because her disability card hadn't arrived yet (why they made a fuzz in response to that I so don't know), one French lady with a certificate similar to mine and one guy with a handwritten note on what looked like a page from a prescription pad. I admit I can kind of see why they refused him. I can't tell for sure what documents the others had, but it definitely was a large variety of different paperwork.

People were getting very upset and angry, myself included. No one should endure anything like that on their holiday.

Like I said above, our solution will likely be that our last day as AP holders is September 24 next year. It took me long enough to accept the fact that on occasion I need help. Usually I am pretty independent and can stand my ground. But having to fight like crazy to get help during something that should be relaxing time for me? I've had it, really.

It was DLP guest services who told us to bring a letter from our doctor, back when I had first asked about Rosebug.

So sad that you were treated that way, esp as someone who is a repeat and loyal visitor!

Last edited:
Oh gosh this sounds very frustrating! they need to be more clear.

And it's a real pity about stars n cars - I found it quite unnameable with my DS in the main circle.

We got a green card for Autism with a Dr's note last week. I did notice them cracking down on AP users though....no boarding unless you show your AP too.

I had the same problem last March.
I've had the orange card for about 7 times now in the past 2 years. They refuse to give me one that lasts the duration of my AP, because it's a temporary illness. Yet, I have not been doing better for the past 3 years.

Last March, I think it was a newbie anyways, the CM stayed away quite long to have the card made.
He came back, and told me, that next time I wasn't going to get one anymore! The rules have changed.
So I'm like: why are you giving it to me now then? (if the rules did change, don't make an expetion for me, then just don't give it to me).

I told him, that on my last 2 visits I ended up at the first aid!
That card was the only thing I could show them, so that they really knew something was wrong with me. (I guess we all feel sick once in a while, or hyperventilate in big crowds, but with me it results into fainting, so I was lucky I got to show that card)
And that I better cancel my next to visits that are already payed for in July & October, as without that card, I might as well just stay in my hotel room the entire visit.
And also, we got evacuated out of It's a small world in 2013, without it I wouldn't be able to tell the CM who was telling us what was going on I have problems.

Suddenly his story changed to: oh, you might get the green card then next time.
So I tell him, I don't need the green one, as I know people in wheelchairs need that one more, and I can walk.
He said it again, while looking at all the options on the back of the green card, I'll probably get that one next time.

I was almost having a meltdown, just having the discussion with him, I started shaking quite bad, and since he had no clue what he was talking about, I ended the discussion and rushed outside to get fresh air and sat down for a bit to calm down (my meds don't always work).

So, what it is then ?? *sigh*

Thanks for the link, Carrie. I'm glad to hear that people are picking up on the warning, but I didn't quite expect the story being spread that way.

Can anyone by chance explain to me what a DLA is? I don't know the abbreviation and Google doesn't help. I'm thinking that my be something similar to what the French woman behind me in line had.

I was almost having a meltdown, just having the discussion with him, I started shaking quite bad, and since he had no clue what he was talking about, I ended the discussion and rushed outside to get fresh air and sat down for a bit to calm down (my meds don't always work).

That's just the point where they got me to, and which would have had my boyfriend going crazy at them.

Thanks for the link, Carrie. I'm glad to hear that people are picking up on the warning, but I didn't quite expect the story being spread that way.

Can anyone by chance explain to me what a DLA is? I don't know the abbreviation and Google doesn't help. I'm thinking that my be something similar to what the French woman behind me in line had.

DLA is a Disability Living Allowance

https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit/overview

It's a UK thing and I(d guess (hope) that there was a similiar thing in France.

I was suprised too to see it published over there without warning over here especially as Amanda is a member on here too.

Hmmm - I have followed the TA thread and it seems to me like nothing has changed, except for AP holders? People seem to be furious about emails stating exactly what has always been the case? That a doctors letter is valid, but it is up to City Hall to determine whether it is EAC or PP. This is what has always happened with us, we took the letter, they read it and asked us a few questions and then told us which card we could have.

Is the AP issues with Dr's letters because they can't fully prove a permanent disability? So because the letter has to be dated within 3 months it can't be used for a full year? I still think Vala should have been given one as normal, and not sure why they couldn't give her one for the duration of her visit.

Got it in one^^^ Autism is classed as a permanent disability, Dr's letter within 3 months. Judging by the tone of the TA thread, we shouldn't have got a priority pass. We did no issues!

They do insist in ID now, which is fair enough!

They are seriously something else on that thread :stir: you've now got the if you aren't in a wheelchair you shouldn't have a pass one coming up :sad2:

What I am seeing though is a clear distinction between the way AP and non AP holders are treated and I don't get it, surely you would think that DLP would want to keep the AP holders coming back not alienating them :confused3

I'm going to have some real fun getting assistance for my mum I can tell

Yes, I am stepping away from reading it now. I will get angry. Because the ignorance of some people is starting to show through. It isn't a "Disabled Pass" it is a priority pass - for people who need help, and it has been an utter godsend for us, if anyone saw Rosebug they would think we shouldn't have one, but that first trip without one when she was 3 was horrific, we managed very little and spent so much time fighting our way out of queues to get to a toilet, usually too late. With the pass she copes brilliantly, but we realised this trip that she wouldn't have managed without it, we queued longest for PP, 25mins - it included a dashed trip to the toilet, floods of tears because bones were aching and the cold set in. No way could we have queued for any longer, the trip before that the CM saw her struggling in the queue and invited her in to sit on the floor. The day she no longer needs it will be a happy day, because I know she will be feeling well.

Hopefully, you will be fine for your mum!

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanations about DLA. I knew about the other newer name, but hadn't heard the other one before.

What Rosebug said Carrie - I hope things will be fine for your mom.

That's what's getting me too. I don't get this distinction between AP and non AP holders either.

I wouldn't have written this if they had been more clear. A simple "We're cracking down, there has been too much abuse, we won't be able to give you a pass for the duration of your AP anymore, you'll have to get a new one each visit and you'll get the orange card" and it would have been okay. I admit I wouldn't have been happy cause the orange card doesn't give me access to the benches for Dreams anymore and Dreams is pretty much one of the parts where I need help most IF I need help (it's on my certificate, I told them as much but all they kept telling me was they couldn't help me), but I wouldn't have been that mad.

I stopped reading the other topic too. People seem to be happy to ignore that there's hidden disabilities too.

That's what got me about the Stars N Cars area too. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing that they were taking the characters to the kids in the wheelchairs. When the disabled section was up it was less crowded, but they didn't specifically get characters over there. So kids could still miss out. But seeing them totally ignore an autistic child (and that's a permanent thing too), that's what upset me. If Minnie had made it to our area I would have really tried to ask her to go to the little boy. I'm not even sure if that's some sort of discrimination. In the US parks I'm pretty sure someone would try putting it that way.

EDITED TO ADD: As for the general "cracking down" and limiting "borrowing out" passes this way - only once I was asked to show my AP. Not that you could make anything out on there cause the new picture is pitch black... came like that in the mail. Also the limit of one extra person wasn't quite enforced from what I could tell.

Last edited:
So many of them seem to think on that thread too that children with autism and their parents/carers should take complete priority over anyone else too. That shocks me. Rosebug is always told in queues etc. that some children need a little more help than she does and she always takes a step back and gives them space, but there are many other reasons why those passes are needed - R doesn't have a disability. But atm she is simply not coping well with her lifelong condition, I am sure at some point in the future she will manage, but until then that green pass makes a trip to Disney accessible to her. We haven't taken her to any other theme park as I know she just won't manage, she desperately wants to go to London to the museums but knowing how long the queues are going to be have made me try to put her off...at least at Disney we never had that worry, and the trips have really helped her get through a rough 2 years. I hope it continues to be accessible to her whilst she needs it. And accessible to all the other children and adults who NEED it to be.

Don't get me started on that thread, I have sat on my hands and kept well away as everytime I look at it I feel like saying something but I don't want to be banned off TA

Makes my blood boil some of them.

I could have a pass for myself even though you would never know I needed one but I've chosen not to as I have the luxury of going everyday if I want and can stay as long or as little as I see fit healthwise.

I'm not a character fan so the M&G have no interest for me and the rides are secondary to just being in the park and feeling that special way we do when we all go.

There is very much a sense of entitlement showing through. I am just exceptionally grateful for all the help and ease of access Disney has provided for us, but would never feel entitled to it, regardless of the reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter