Eastern Caribbean Jan 28-Feb 5

We were up early and decided this morning to have breakfast in Topsiders buffet. I might also mention at this point that we were very impressed at the lengths Disney took to try and avoid contamination. Before each line for the dining rooms and for the buffets(even at the snack bars I think) they handed you disinfectant wipes so you could clean your hands. I have heard that a few children were sick on our cruise, so I don't know if that helped at all, but for us it was nice to know that they encouraged clean hands aboard! We ran into Godwin and he asked why we weren't eating in Lumiere's. Good question and plan change!

I remember that I had delicious Eggs Florentine with smoked salmon and DH had Eggs Benedict. We had a lovely server and enjoyed a leisurely meal, while Sleeping Beauty slept. After breakfast we cast a waking spell on DD, ordered her up some croissants, juice and cereal from room service and got her ready for the day at the beach.

On other cruises, we've booked lots of expeditions but this time we decided to just plunk ourselves down at a beach on both islands unless we heard of something that really sparked our interest! We packed up some snacks, our rolling cooler with beer/drinks, our snorkeling paraphernalia and off we went.

** One cute thing: our stateroom attendant, Loyd, was in the hallway and as we said good morning and were walking away, he shouted back. "hey, where are you going with MY cooler?!" :lmao: He had been replenishing it every time it needed ice since we had boarded! We assured him we were getting him more beer and by that evening he'd have plenty to do!

Since we were all the way forward, we used the forward exit on Deck one. It was a breeze getting off the ship and soon we were heading through the port shops area and into the taxi line. The lines moved very quickly and were divided up depending where it was you would like to go. We had decided on Orient Beach because of it's popularity and the waves!

We boarded our taxi and were happy to meet a very friendly family who was from the DC area. We were talking away to them and they told us they were heading to Le Galion beach, a public beach with no fees, more secluded and better suited for little ones. They kindly offered us to join them but we declined as I noted I not only had one child but two and we thought we'd enjoy a more noisy beach
(plus I knew my eldest, DH, was secretly hoping to take a walk to the clothing optional side of Orient beach!) :rotfl:

As they were getting out at their stop, it suddenly dawned on me that this family may be a family from our FE list! I asked and sure enough it was!! We wished them a good day and off we went to Orient.

As soon as we arrived, we were dropped off in front of a beach-front bar and we were told that the gentleman would take good care of us. We figured that this was a friend or family connection to our driver but we love the phrase take care of us, while on vacay. We were to pay $8/person for padded beach loungers, an umbrella and a free rum drink. Mere pennies for such luxury!

The beach was absolutely beautiful and we quickly settled ourselves in, got our drinks and enjoyed the beautiful ocean and the warm sunshine. I have it written down that it was 82 degrees that day!

DD was anxious to get into the ocean, so I obliged her and we headed in. It was lovely and there were wonderful waves to play in! We had noticed a yacht approaching and we were having fun guessing all the people it might be. We are HUGE U2 fans and I had heard and seen pictures of Bono, Edge and their families on the beach at St Maarten, so I was teasing her that it might be them. The poor kiddo barely took her eyes off that yacht JUST IN CASE! ;)

After about an hour of swimming, we got out to dry off and have some fruit and pastry snacks that I had packed (taken from the breakfast buffet/sandwich bar).
She lay down for her afternoon siesta and I asked the server for HER drink!
While sipping, I wondered,(but not too much) were DH had gotten himself to. :confused3

When he returned he told me that he'd walked left along the beach(away from the nude section) and I asked him had he walked to the right. "No", said he... but he did see some topless bathers.
***They compare this beach to the French Riviera, so if you're at all prudish or modest about the human body, it may not be the beach for you-or at least you should head FAR LEFT(GAUCHE!) along the beach!

We were quite close to the rock formation that physically separated the nude area with the clothed area. Curiosity got the better of me, so we decided to go for a quick walk down while our Sleeping Beauty slept.
Turned out to be more of a lesson on the effects of gravity on the human body!
(far be it from me to pretend that I don't know this myself!)
Kidding aside, it must be said that it is not at all to be a gawk fest, but a way of life for nudists and should notably be respected. There are also plenty of signs reminding others that there are NO CAMERAS.

This is, in fact, a very pretty area of the beach! It's also the more secluded area and great for swimming ! I had a quick dip and then met a lovely naturalist lady who offered to throw bread at the schools of fish for me, so I could get a good video. I managed to get a great one, but out of respect for her I will decline posting it because my terrible camera skills, coupled with me freaking out because the fish were touching me
(TOUCHING ME!!!)
I got a few shots of her in the video. :scared1: Since her intent was not to be filmed, we'll keep that video off the internet!

I will tell you that it was the third time that day that we saw schools of approximately 100 angelfish. Truly a beautiful sight, albeit a little freaky! Those babies have front teeth the size of my own! The pictures don't even do this beach justice-it is truly beautiful.

Soon it was time for mama's siesta and I'm glad DH doesn't sleep soundly because when he woke me up, it looked like everyone had left for home! After a quick panic, we were heading back to the port in a cab. We really did have lots of time, so we stopped along the way at a grocery store so DH could buy some more beer and like Disney says, it's absolutely no problem bringing it back on the ship! YAY Disney!

That night was PIRATE NIGHT!!! We ate in Parrot Cay again and there were a lot of Caribbean style entrees: I know I had a grilled pineapple boat with rum sauce. YUM! I also remember DH and I both had fish and my daughter had her usual Indian food entree! The entertainment was the Pirates IN the Caribbean deck party! We requested our servers to make our dining pace much quicker(we left the dining room at 10-10:15 almost every night which we didn't usually mind, but tonight we didn't want to miss the party!)

We gathered in front of the stage at approx 9:40 and had a good view
(until those types of people who come and stand in front of you at shows did their thing-oh well! We were on vacation!)
The show was cute: a little dancing, a little singing and then the Pirates descended upon the ship. They actually come down from the smoke stacks! Pretty cool.
When Pirate Mickey arrived with his crew to save the day I about died!
The grand finale are the wonderful fireworks at sea!
FIREWORKS AT SEA!
MAGIC!
WOW!!!!!

Almost every night when retiring, after making notes, DH and I would turn on the TV and try to watch Despicable Me~it became a running joke, because we never did get through the movie and we almost always turned it on at the same part! :)

Last edited:

can't wait to hear more. Thinking about a 2012Cruise??

No, we're trying for England and Ireland next year:DH's family. I'd love to celebrate my DD's sweet 16 in 2013. Hoping I can convince a few others, her god and grandparents to come along. We'll see! :goodvibes

I awoke early (But NOT 4 am thank goodness!) to find I was alone in bed. Curious? It would seem DH decided he'd like to get up before the sun to get a few good sunrise shots. Glad he did, 'cause I got to enjoy the pictures, but didn't even have to leave my bed.

Number one million of the best things about DCL: you can just turn on the TV to the bridge on any given morning to see the weather, the sunrise, whatever. IN THE COMFORT OF YOUR BED! The TV is even on the adult side of the privacy curtain so you don't have to wake the kids!!!

We were, quite frankly, becoming accustomed to having the early morning to ourselves and I never wanted to wake Sleeping Beauty.
When DH came back from Deck 10, we decided that we'd have a run on Deck 4. Again, a perfectly lovely way to start a morning. After exercise, I desperately needed coffee!

We headed on up to check out the Cove Cafe for the first time. All of the little pastries and muffins looked tempting, but we decided that since we had started the day right, we'd just get the free coffee from the drink machines and get something healthier at Goofy's Galley. There were strawberry and mango smoothies that morning, as well tons of fresh fruit and croissants. We grabbed some of those and were not surprised that they were very good and headed back to get cleaned up for our next breakfast! :scared1:

view from the outdoor deck and good service from the drink re fillers.

We dined in Topsiders this morning and little Sleeping Beauty was awake to join us. I loved talking to the cast members, many of who were from Central/South America as well as the Philippines. They were always so positive and nice and had interesting stories from their homeland for us.

Leaving the ship that morning was again a breeze, and we headed down to get a taxi to Magens' Bay beach. We again, met a family from our FE list! I guess this was just meant to be! :goodvibes This extended family was from Virginia and had 2 babies and 2 boys. They were experiencing a bit of trouble with a few things and were not enjoying the cruise experience as much as they had enjoyed others. We were glad that our experience was going so well(but of course, as polite Canadians, we opted out of bragging!)

Our driver did not charge for the children(DD @ 13 was given a 1/2 price deal) like the government set rate would dictate. He also collected the money for the fee for the beach. This way, we were to sail right to the beach. Never a bad thing! He also stopped along the way so we could take some fabulous photos of St Thomas and the bay from it's high points. We much appreciated that!

Magen's Bay is a little slice of paradise: the beach is wonderful, there are not the ware sellers like on Orient Beach: there is a gift shop and a bar/ restaurant with quite reasonable prices and the water is quite warm and perfect for snorkeling. The view is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!

We spent the day swimming, snorkeling and walking and did buy a few postcards in the gift shop. We had not remembered to pack anything(read: I had not packed anything!! :rotfl:)
so we ate pizza for lunch and it was rather YUMMY!
We met a nice couple from Cornwall, Ontario (about 45 from our home in Ottawa) and we chatted with them for about an hour until sadly, it was time to go. I think, but I wouldn't want to be quoted on this, that we had to return to the ship a bit earlier this day. Or maybe it just seemed like it. :sad1:

The dinner theme was French and we were dining in Lumiere's: how appropriate! Upon returning back to the ship, we caught the very tail end of the seafood buffet(mostly just for the sushi) and DD had of course, some pizza and ice cream.
Well...YA?!

The Right Stuff played at the Sail Away Party and we enjoyed listening while Party Duck Daisy danced! The show this night was Jason Bishop and although I've read some bad reviews, we quite enjoyed his show and thought he was funny. Maybe we're shallow! :confused3

The dinner was lovely(again don't remember what we ate-next time I'll write down the food!) but I do remember DD went to her club for a pool party! This inspired DH and I and we headed up to get bathing suits on for a swim. Of course, arriving up on Deck 9 to see the jacuzzis relatively free, we opted for that instead!

We did spend some time sharing a jacuzzi with a family on the Goofy Pool side and we were a bit dismayed to see them eating food while actually seated IN the jacuzzi. This was a blessing in disguise though, as it led us to the adult side and our private jacuzzi part deux!
Nighty Night! ;)

Last edited:
url=http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/disney-magic-cruise-2011/p62789-discruisepics-1381.html]
discruisepics_1381.jpg
[/url]

We thought they were all so cute, and then we got hissed at. Those creatures move QUICKLY! and they are like squirrels: they are everywhere!!!!

Really enjoying your report .... we had Loyd looking after us on the WBTA last September and he was fabulous !! Love your photos. So many wonderful memories !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter