Eastern Caribbean Jan 28-Feb 5

jerelle

Jerelle
Let me begin by saying WOW!

A bit of background about us.
We were: myself, DH and DD aged 14.
We were sailing in celebration of the FANTASTIC deal they had for Canadians in January and early February cruises. I am a Disney fan from way back and have been to the World 8 times. I've always wanted to go on a cruise but since I stayed home to raise my family, have only returned to work 4 years ago after going back to college AND having a DS in University, DCL was out of the question. We've sailed on RCL and Carnival the past 3 years but NEITHER compared with this ship.
Honestly, from start to finish we had nothing to say but
WOW!

We received a 25% discount on EACH fare and got an onboard credit which made our cruise this year, the same price as our Carnival cruise last year. BONUS! (and for those of you who are wondering, the Carnival and RCL cruises that went to St Maarten and St Thomas were MORE expensive than this cruise!!!!)
Has anyone guessed that I am the last of the big time spenders????:rotfl:
Really, I grew up with a father who taught me to be frugal and my motto is "why spend more than you have to?" As a matter of fact, it's become a game for me to see how cheaply we can get what we want.

When I saw the cruise fares I knew I'd have to sell my DH who doesn't quite share my love of the Mouse as much. I noticed on a thread that you can bring as much beer as you like. "oh HONEY..." said I. :lmao:

We decided our cruise based on the itinerary and it's timing near my DD's 14th birthday. Good choice! The weather couldn't have been better! We sailed through one storm, one time and that's all the rain we had(and it was kinda cool actually) ;)

On with the show:
We arrived in Cocoa Beach at 4:30 on Friday evening, a very quick 45 minutes from the Orlando airport in our Budget one way rental and didn't seem to be too affected by the repair on the highway. You just tuck around the accident sight and back on with smooth sailing after that. We stayed at Best Western Oceanfront suites and our room was both lovely and clean. We had a little fridge (good to cool our cruise beer->cold when we arrived in our stateroom!) BONUS!
***(NB: you cannot pack beer on ice to bring on the ship-you have to add ice afterwards)

We headed out to the ocean for a quick walk and were just in time to watch a RCL ship sail away. We waked up to the pier and checked out the very crowded restaurants and deck seating area. We settled on AW Shucks at the very start of the pier and wouldn't ya know it, it was Happy Hour. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
Being from Ottawa, they've banned happy hours in our city, so it's always cool to visit a state that has them.

We had the standard wings, ribs and nachos and listened to the music from the band playing up the pier. We headed to Publix across the street soon after for our beer and drinks. We bought Malibu Rum Punch in cute little pouches like wine comes in->YUMMY but strong. As well, a nice box of wine. Very good prices, I might add.

From there, home to bed. We had a big day ahead.
We all went to sleep easily, but I was awakened quickly around 2 with my DH saying: I didn't pack my suit!
Are you kidding me???

Now, usually I am a total micro-manager, type A person, packing everyone and everything. The last couple of times I've been on holiday with my family, all I've heard throughout the trip was, "Honey/Mom you didn't pack this/that? I NEEDED IT!!" So last year I decided I was to make lists for suggestions to hand to my beloveds and then take care of all the paraphernalia that I THOUGHT we would require, plus do all the FE's/pack them and leave the rest up to them.
Now, back to 2 am:
I said, "Well, you won't be able to dine with us on formal and semi formal nights then." (May I add how proud I was of myself that I neither took responsibility for it, nor did I freak out as usual!!!) :cool1:

He decided to go down and check the suit bag and returned with a smile, making me even more glad I didn't freak out! YAY!
BUT
(you know there's always a but...)
he didn't pack any pants. <sigh>
I told him blankly that we'd need to get him some because there were no shorts in the dining room(which was a rule we were to find that they often bended) and that we'd agreed that we'd be dining in the dining rooms each night. That meant that we'd need to head to a mall in the morning. That also meant that I wouldn't be able to get the precious early boarding pass that I had secretly coveted for months.
I tried to get over myself and quickly fell back asleep.

The next morning we went for a quick and yummy breakfast
(deluxe continental was eggs and sausage and bacon-YAY Deluxe!)
and headed to find both Target and the mall. After turning up his nose at the pants at Target, we headed to Macy's at the mall. A quick purchase and we were at the Budget waiting for our shuttle to the Port by 10:45.

We had to wait about 25 minutes for a shuttle, but Budget does it well and had about 3 running at once.
I must say, pulling up to the Disney terminal was so exciting there were a few tears of joy! We headed in, were quickly processed and were heading under those wee ears and onto the ship in about 30 minutes, curb to (spoil alert)our arrival being announced.
BTW: that is so special. :lovestruc

We went straightaway to Rockin' Bar D to get Palo ressies, cause were weren't lucky enough to get them online. We got Friday evening, Castaway Cay day, which was great for us. Then we quickly headed to Guest Services to get Tea with Alice tickets for my DD and myself. We got Thurs, Sea Day, at 4. Perfect!

We had a quick look around the beautiful ship and then it was time to see if our room was ready for us. We found our Room attendant, Loyd, in our stateroom and he was the sweetest man. We offered him a nice tip to keep our cooler filled with ice and he politely refused, saying that it was HIS job and he'd be happy to do that for us! WOW!

Off we headed to Deck 9 to check out the pools and enjoy the Florida sunshine!!! We opted out of the buffets because we didn't want to be indoors
(we were in FLA, people!!!)
We ate at both Goofy's (yummy) Galley and the Burger grill. I entered a draw to win services in the spa(but didn't win) and we enjoyed the Sail Away Party and the waving goodbye to all the people ashore.
This was going to be a great cruise. I could just feel it! :love:

Last edited:
We met a few people from our FE exchange, which was exciting. I had missed the get together because I had to be in the spa for the draw. Since I am an RMT I really wanted to win a free massage!!! It's OK, I had one anyway-I just had to pay! ;)

The Sail Away party was so cute. The music was fun and to our surprise-Daisy was the party duck! Tesia, one of the entertainment crew quickly became our favourite. She had the ability to get things started and was HILARIOUS!!! Soon, things started to clear and we knew that was the indicator that early dining was almost upon us. We had late dining but wanted to see the first of many wonderful shows.

We decided this might be a nice time to quickly introduce DD to the teen club. Parents are only allowed in on the first day. Once the 1st night rolls around, they actually shoo you out!
I'm not kidding-I tried to peek in! :rotfl:
I think it's good though and it keeps undesirable adults out as well. Just an added safety precaution, I guess.
The club was lovely: it was set up like a college dorm and had two areas. A "bar" area, where they could get soda and smoothies, a dance floor, couches and chairs and a big screen for video games and videos. There was also a back room area with board games and bean bag chairs. There were tons of things to keep them busy. The counselors Casey, James and Alfred are to be commended for their abilities. Honestly, in past cruises, my DD has been too shy to mingle and talk. They set things up so well that the teens couldn't help but mingle. It was great!
They strongly advised her to come back later that night for the session where they vote to choose their itinerary for the week-kind of the coolest thing ever-and should be done in high school. Turns out, she was to be in with a bunch of like minds and they quickly came up with a week of FUN! My precious, innocent DD was out later than WE were most nights!
This is all thanks to the ingenious of the Wave phones. A parent's dream! Otherwise, I wouldn't have felt comfortable enough to let it happen.

We loved the first show and went to Parrot Cay for our PLAPLAP rotation. It is so pretty and I was sad to return and find I hadn't taken any pictures of the restaurant itself. :sad2: I loved my meal, my DD loved her meal and my DH liked his. I told him to hang tight because a lot happens on the first night! He tends to be picky, so I was worried. Turns out a few people were also disappointed with their meat entree. DD is a vegetarian, I love vegetarian cuisine and we were both thrilled to see that there were several options each night. I also have a tree nut allergy and they (over)dealt with that promptly.

Our dining room head guy Godwin, came over explained everything and told me that the Chef would like me to order my meals for the week right then and there.
WHAT??!!
While I think that it was an incredibly safe and efficient way to deal with it to ensure that nothing would ever be cross contaminated (I was told they even used a separate kitchen) I opted out.
Who knows what they want to eat ahead of time???
He advised me not to dine in the buffets at night and to be careful with the Pirate Dessert Buffet, but that I could come and ask at the dining room or at room service for any dessert anytime. I was "flagged"
WOW!

I never once had a reaction to anything and my meals weren't bland either!
I must say that the first night was incredibly rocky and some people were having to leave dinner early to preserve their tummies contents. Fortunately we don't get motion sickness but instead enjoyed the ride! :thumbsup2

We headed out for A drink after dinner, at Sessions and DD to the teen clubn. It really was one drink as we were struggling to keep our eyes open. My DD met us and we all headed back for a perfect night's sleep. The bed's were really comfy-even the couch pullout! We loved the swan towel from Loyd and DD ate her Sleepy chocolate every night at turn down! :)

Last edited:
We were on this cruise and agree with you it was wonderful. I can not wait to hear some more, love to hear about other's experiences on the same cruise!

We were on this cruise and agree with you it was wonderful. I can not wait to hear some more, love to hear about other's experiences on the same cruise!

Oh FUN! I wonder if our DD's met in the Vibe? Mine is Lauren. :)

Joelle

I am trying to upload pics but having some technical difficulties. BOO! This is where my age is showing...

182274_10150382921955526_4400533_n.jpg

Our sideways stateroom #6503.
Entry is on the left. This shot is looking from the wall beside the master bed.

Looking forward to the rest of your report. We are doing the Eastern in March and can't wait.

Thanks everyone. ;) Works been busy but I will try and post Day 2 and 3 later today.

BTW: Does anyone know how I can make these pics bigger? I think I am doing everything right but somehow they are coming out thumbnail size.

YOU ROCK peachygreen! I could say "peachy keen" peachy green!!!!

Thanks a big bunch.

Joelle

url=http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/disney-magic-cruise-2011/p62630-master-bed-with-pull-across-curtain-for-privacy.html]
discruisepics_017.jpg
[/url]

The next morning DH and I awoke early and decided to go up to Deck 10 to see what the weather would hold for the first Sea Day. I believe it was nice with a few clouds(can't really remember to be honest) We then went to the gym to workout.

The gym had a lot of different treadmills, elliptical machines and stationary bikes, as well as free weights and areas to stretch. Thanks to a tip I read on the disboards, I also knew it had ice cold water from the fountain, to fill up the water bottles! I normally run outdoors so it was challenge, on the rocky seas that morning, to stay aboard the treadmill! I decided to walk on a steep incline instead. This was to be our last trip to the gym, as the beautiful, mostly outdoor track on Deck 4 was far more appealing and the ocean far more inspirational than a TV screen!

After we were done, we went back to wake up Sleeping Beauty and got ready to go for breakfast at Lumiere's. We arrived about 9:00 and were told that it may be a bit of a wait for the actual breakfast, but they could seat us straightaway. We took our chances and it turns out that it was a perfect pace for us. All told, about 1 hour but we were on holiday time.
Our decision here on in: we would dine in the dining rooms on sea days, when we weren't in a hurry.
It was a lovely experience, the food seemed to taste better (although I'm sure it was just because we didn't have to collect it ourselves!) There were quite a few more choices in the dining room. I had smoked salmon, the first of many mornings of such decadence, capers and a bagel along with some oatmeal. My DD had a mickey waffle that didn't WOW her too much but she ate anyway. My hubby had a true English breakkie: bacon, sausage, eggs, potatoes and toast.

After breakfast we got our suits on and headed up to the pool for the first of many wonderful days. The pool was crowded and most of the deck chairs were full or "saved" I tried not to get too bent out of shape about this practice, which is supposed to be restricted. We sat along the edge of the pool and went up one deck to find seats/loungers up there. I figured that the little guys and gals by the pool deserved those spots more than we did!

Sooner than later it was lunchtime and we decided to try Goofy's Galley again. They changed most of the sandwiches daily and had about 4 different wraps, 4 sandwiches on rolls and plenty of fresh fruits and salads. My hubby opted for the grill again and had a fantastic Cajun chicken on a bun(I know 'cause I had a bite!) Our DD had some pizza from Pinocchio's which she said was unlike any Disney pizza she had ever had. This is a good thing, as normally she doesn't like the park's pizza!
They also seemed to have a Pizza of the day each day as well as the standard cheese, pepperoni and veggie slices. I had to be careful of the Pesto pizza because it had pine nuts, but DD said it was incredible! Of course, DD then had to wash it all down with a bowl of ice cream and 2 kinds of syrups.
HAVE MERCY!!!

We just ate and rested that sea day. DD went to the teen club for a few hours. From what I remember, there were many interludes with Tesia and the entertainment crew doing character viewings and shows in front of the big screen and as well, one of our favourite things was that they showed Disney movies on the OUTDOOR screen as well as the theatre, every day. Sometimes 3-5 per day! Other cruises we've been on have advertised this, but they did not necessarily deliver when it was time for the show!
I was very pleased that I was cruising with the Big Cheese!

The show that night was the Villains show, which I found to be fantastic(as good as any at the parks) and we ate in Lumiere's that night for formal night. The menu was Prince and Princess and the food was AMAZING. The coffee was delicious and I'm a Starbucks SNOB! I don't understand why people don't like the coffee. The dessert options were just too much. I know I had creme brulee and it was out of this world!

**As a special mention there was a sweet little touch on the menus that evening: the menu covers actually changed-- as did those old school, 3D postcards that they used to have that when you scratch them they make the funny noises--=Anyone?
Well, it amused us for about 10 minutes! Doesn't take much!!!

After dinner, DD wanted to go to her club and DH and I headed back to Sessions piano bar for a nightcap. What a lovely and pretty bar that is! The piano player was very good, had a wonderful voice and walked around the room asking each couple or group personally where they were from and if they had any requests. He played many favourites to which most sang along.
A nice ending to a perfect day! :thumbsup2

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter