Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Oct. 5, 2013

:

I jokingly told her that if we didn't get a convertible on Monday I would ask her for directions to the nearest Home Depot. She asked 'Why, Sir?'
I told her that I would buy a saw there and make the Camaro a convertible :rotfl:
Please tell me you at least got the insurance to go with the car before you go and try to do any over hauling on your own.
:p

We Germans always have our rental cars insured with a german-style insurance. That's the reason why we make our rental agreements with German travel agencies. I have full coverage on the car up to €1,000,000 with no deductible. That's well below the standard we have back home, but way better than the coverage the rental car companies offer here in the US.
Back home I have unlimited coverage on our car. It's not really unlimited, but it's sold as that as so far nobody has managed to crack the €100,000,000 with aa car or motorcycle. That coverage costs just €400 annually for our car. That's about $540.
Opposed to the contracts you have in the US mine covers only my car, it wouldn't cover other vehicles I drive.

We had a great run in the morning. We did 4.9 miles in 48 minutes. The beach is great for running, only the wind bothered us a bit on the first half as we were running straight into it, but on the way back then we had a nice tailwind.
After breakfast we went to the beach to bask in the sun, but after three hours we decded to play it safe and now we're sitting in the shade and just chill out.
In the evening we intend to visit the Historic Downtown and have dinner there. It's more or less our only chance to go there as we intend to go shopping on Monday and Wednesday night and to do some classes at a local gym on Tuesday and Thursday. They're offering Les Mills classes and Zumba.

Everyone who signed up for the wine meet, There has been a request to change the time so hopefully this won't conflict with anyone else but we are just going to move the wine meet to 2pm same day... I figured since this isn't to much of a change we could make it work... :thumbsup2

See you guys soon!!!
Christina

We slept in a bit today and so we shortened our morning run to just 4 miles and sped it up a bit to be back in time for breakfast. As the wind was considerably weaker today we average a bit under 9:30 per mile and even did the last mile in 8:30 minutes.
We still weren't quick enough, because breakfast was already waiting, but it was still warm.

We haven't heard from Alamo yet, but will call them later. We haven't heard from our German travel ageny either, but I guess they're still working off the wekend backlog. American car rental agencies are well known for their bad service and their habit of always trying to pull a fast one with European travellers.
Our office assistant responsible for travel at my company has to file numerous complaints every month and we get at least one warning or advice every month on how to handle issues with the rental agencies. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to meet up with all of you this week. Viking I hope you got you car taken care of. We leave on Wednesday. We are going to casually drive down taking two days from Fort Knox to the cape. See ya real soon!

The sign up for this FE is closed

The FB group does have a late late comers FE available until 1 week before sail away. Contact Mama2Hope for more info. For those who are interested, the FB groups name is: Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 5th 2013

:thumbsup2 I will try to keep the FE at (or very Near) the top of each new page from now until we cruise for convenience. :thumbsup2

Break down of groups: (yes, some cabins are in both groups. ..they requested to be)

Group I

pixiehallow
TamaraH
FrozenMinnie
Santam01
JulFromMD + 2
JulFromMD +3
JulFromMD +4
LadyCP
ozdisneyfan
Tiggerlily878
Deb T
Wanderluster25
2Crazygoofies
tatianasuv
Mrs Stevenson
MDennis28
DisneyFan_SD
Texas Lady
crews
Gillilma

Group II
pixiehallow
actnkidz
Mercinursi
jamelynn24
TCCDad
kmronnie3
Contrady family
Santam01
JulFromMD
JulFromMD +1
jbhatch
goofydvc
Tenn
chipmunklove
Jgamy
SinDee
Kprovax
Kprovax +1
Deb T
hng1979
jaimelynn4
Marchetti family
hmhaase
Texas lady
Southern gal
Aussiemickey
Fluffybunnyfeet
Ourfairytalelife
Carpenm3
Larrisje
dancegirl914

Group III

FluffyFamilyof4
Madd5 (McGinnis Family)
Maddd5 +1 (McGinnis/Dougherty Families)
Maddd5 +2 (McPeak Family)
PontiusPython
PontiusPython +1
Tdburns
Tigerlilly878
brandons1981
hng1979
honeyblee
kyliesmommy

Sub Groups have been sent out...If you are in group I, please remove MickeyFan from your list.

:chat:If you want a list of all Cabins, I will be happy to send one to you. All you have to do is ask :listen:

~Tink~

Okay only 4 more days to go so now getting super excited. I was trying to find one place that lists everything we have planned within the group from Wine Tastings, mixology class, crazy plane , meet and greet etc. do you know if there is one list ( or if someone can share with me) all the events we have set up, along with date,time meeting place and cost? That way I have it I one spot in case I lose my papers. Also i want to send a thank you out to everyone who has helped with planning and organizing the events. Speaking for myself as being a newbie, it is nice to have the help and I know it's going to be a great vacation....

P.S - if anyone in our group has a family cabana they are looking to give up...give me shout out. I am still trying to score one.

Thanks again and I look forward to meeting everyone.

Kmronnie

Exactly 11 days from today we are enjoying a full day on a little piece of heaven on earth we call Castaway Cay! :cloud9: As the captain docks the ship, we gaze longingly at the pristine white sand beach dotted with colorful umbrellas and lounge chairs that are beckoning us ashore. We eagerly don bathing suits, sunscreen and cover-ups and then head up Cabana’s or Enchanted Garden to indulge in another wonderful breakfast onboard. We are getting used to having breakfast ready for us every morning! Beginning around 9:45am, we’ll make our way down to Deck 1 to debark directly onto the island – no tenders for us here!

As we stroll past the tiny little post office on the right, some of us will stop to purchase Bahamian stamps to adhere to postcards destined for family and friends who aren’t enjoying pure paradise with us today. “Wish you were here!” ;) Sometimes, Donald Duck is standing outside for photos! We’ll also run into Mickey, Minnie, and even Captain Jack Sparrow throughout the day for fun photo ops! This is the third (and last) time we can get "up close and personal" photos of our beautiful ship!

We’ll make our way to the beach... families will settle on the first beach on the left, arriving by tram or by walking. Seasoned castaways who prefer fewer crowds will continue on down to the far end of the family beach. Adults sans children will continue on to Serenity Bay. Everyone will marvel at the crystal clear pale blue ocean water! Look closely, and you’ll see tiny little fish darting around in the water, reminding us that we really are on a teeny tiny natural tropical island in the middle of a vast ocean!

Now that we have staked out our little piece of paradise for the day, it’s time to relax! With any luck, the sun is shining brightly, there’s a gentle tropical breeze, and the crystal clear Caribbean ocean is warm. We sit back in our beach chair (or hammock or lounge chair) and enjoy the gorgeous view! The ocean stretches out in front of us for as far as we can see! Those on the family beach have a fabulous view of The Fantasy docked to the left. Laughter and squeals fill the air as children of all ages begin to frolic in the water. We can’t help but smile as our picture perfect vacation plays out before our very eyes. :goodvibes

What is your favorite thing to do on a beach? :beach: Build sandcastles? Swim? Lay out in the sun? :cool2: Want to do more? There's beach volleyball, a basketball free-throw challenge, and Crab Races starting soon. A DJ is playing popular tropical beach music. Yes, the family beach area is alive with energy! Some have already ventured off on rented bicycles or are floating lazily in rented inner tubes. Getting hungry? Cookies and Cookies Too have been preparing barbecue feasts for us, buffet style! We gather the family and migrate toward the aroma of hamburgers and barbecued chicken. We also find a wide variety of salads, corn-on-the-cob, chips, and tiny little loaves of banana bread. After filling our plates full, we find a picnic table in the shade of the shelter and proceed to fill our bellies, being careful to save some room for ice cream!

After lunch, some will check the younger children into Scuttle's Cove so parents can have a little bit of “couple” time. The kids will enjoy fun activities while parents explore the island on their own and possibly even decide to see what the adults-only beach is all about. Serenity Bay can be found at the end of an abandoned air strip at what seems like worlds away from the family beach. Peaceful and serene, it is bliss for those wanting true rest and relaxation. :cloud9: Some are reading, some are dozing, some are floating in the pale blue water, and some are sitting in beach chairs at the edge of the ocean with their feet in the water. The Air Bar is nearby, and a server passes by frequently to make sure we all stay properly “hydrated”. ;) Next to the Air Bar is Serenity Bay’s very own private barbecue lunch spot. And just like at Cookies and Cookies Too, they even have ice cream and cookies! We're on vacation, so calories don't count, right??? Those of you who have young children might wish they were older so you, too, could spend the entire day here at Serenity Bay, but those of us who’s children are grown know that those days pass all too quickly and we secretly wish our children were still young and enjoying Castaway Cay with us. :guilty:

A fun spot to walk off lunch (and get a little exercise) is the walking/bike path half-way down the runway between the family and adult beaches. Our reward for venturing inside this maze-like trail is coming across the little tower where you can look out over most of the island. It’s a pretty long walk, so be sure to grab some cold water before heading in if the day is hot.

All too soon, we realize it’s getting closer and closer to the 4:30pm all-aboard time. :sad2: Wait! Have we checked out the little souvenir shops yet? Although there are a few Castaway Cay items in the onboard gift shops, a bigger variety of exclusive CC merchandise is for sale only on the island! :goodvibes Don’t worry about not having cash, though, because only our KTTW cards are accepted here. :thumbsup2 Very convenient… too convenient according to my DH! :rotfl:

We hear the ship’s horn and that is our cue that all aboard time is approaching. Reluctantly, we start gathering our belongings. Did you know that a sprinkle of baby powder makes brushing off the fine white sand a very easy task? With a heavy heart, we begin heading back toward the ship. Do we REALLY have to leave the island? Say it isn’t so. If we hadn’t thought about rebooking onboard yet, we are certainly thinking about it now! :rolleyes1

Back on the Fantasy, we find the sail away party underway on the pool deck. :mickeyjum The upbeat music puts us in a festive mood! Shortly, we’ll head to our cabins to begin getting ready for tonight’s activities as our vessel slowly pulls away from the beautiful tiny island. It’s mind boggling that 4,000 people are showering at practically the same time and we all still have plenty of hot water to wash the remnants of Castaway Cay off of us! Gosh, the water heater in my house barely makes it through three people showering! :laughing:

Sadly, it is on our minds that this is also the last full day aboard the ship, which means we need to begin preparations for tomorrow's dreaded departure. First, on the list is stopping by guest services to charge tips to our cabin so we can put the little tip vouchers in the little tip envelopes that were left on our bed last night. We’ll be sure to leave our cabin host’s tip envelope on the bed before we head to dinner – sort of a reversal of roles since he/she is the one who has been leaving us Navigators and little chocolates there each night. :goodvibes (We’ll hand our other three tip envelopes out at the end of dinner.) We also need to pack – a most unpleasant task since we have now decided that we never want to leave the ship – ever! Suitcases need to be outside our cabin door (ironically pretty much in the same spots we found them just six short afternoons ago!) by 10:30pm so they can be whisked away and waiting for us in customs in the port terminal. Don’t forget to set out a full set of clothes for the trip home though, including shoes! DCL crew have lots and lots of stories about people disembarking in their pjs! :scared1:

A gorgeous orange sunset comes all too soon, but there is still plenty to do as we try to fit in every last moment of this magical vacation! There are plenty of activities listed in the Navigator - a dance party, another game show, and karaoke just to name a few. It will be difficult to narrow down which photographs to purchase from Shutters – they’re all great memories that have been captured forever! It’s time for one last souvenir shopping spree in the gift shops! Oh - and don't forget the Captain will be signing autographs tonight in Whitecaps!

Main diners are headed to dinner with their table number ingrained in their brain. We’ll greet our servers and tablemates by name tonight :wave: having become very familiar with them over the last six nights. We’ll also realize that many of the servers who we saw working hard at Cookies BBQ today are now busy making sure our dinner is as perfect as possible for us tonight! :goodvibes Do they ever get a day off? (The answer is: rarely – all DCL crew work 70+ hours each week! :eek: ) As we look around the restaurant, we observe that a few guests failed to apply enough sunscreen during the day :headache: ouch! By the time dessert arrives, some will exchange email addresses with tablemates, planning to keep in touch. We’ll save our goodbyes to our new friends and servers until the morning during our quick sit-down breakfast before having to leave the ship. Tonight’s stage show, “An Unforgettable Journey” will ring true for all of us as we know this cruise has been truly unforgettable. If it’s half as good as Disney Dreams, then there will be at least one cruiser all choked up at the end… ahem… sent over the edge by another well-performed and sentimental Disney story!

Eventually, those with young children will have to retrieve them from the Kids’ Clubs one final time. Wouldn't it be great to have those wonderful Counselors at home with us!? Then, we all head to the atrium for a final farewell from all the characters at 10:15pm. They have gathered together for a little show called See Ya Real Soon. And we really do hope to see them again real soon!!!!

We head back to our cabins and peek in our FE’s one last time before unhooking them from our fish/starfish/seahorse. We greet our last towel animal and set up an all-too-early wake-up call. And then we snuggle into bed, a little bit sad that our cruise is coming to an end (okay, a LOT sad). And finally, after a very full day, the gentle rocking motion lulls us to sleep one... last..... time.......... and we dream about our next Disney cruise...... :goodvibes

Okay only 4 more days to go so now getting super excited. I was trying to find one place that lists everything we have planned within the group from Wine Tastings, mixology class, crazy plane , meet and greet etc. do you know if there is one list ( or if someone can share with me) all the events we have set up, along with date,time meeting place and cost? That way I have it I one spot in case I lose my papers. Also i want to send a thank you out to everyone who has helped with planning and organizing the events. Speaking for myself as being a newbie, it is nice to have the help and I know it's going to be a great vacation....

P.S - if anyone in our group has a family cabana they are looking to give up...give me shout out. I am still trying to score one.

Thanks again and I look forward to meeting everyone.

Kmronnie
You can find what you are looking for on the group page. They are not all listed as one document, but they are there.

I am sorry that I will not have time to consolidate it. We are leaving on Thursday, and I have 6 days of a pirate unit study to cover by then. But fear not, I will have all the info with me on board (minus the wine tasting -if you signed up for that just make sure you have the name and cabin number of the person organizing it). I will also have the FE lists and cabin #'s for groups I, II, and III (I do not have the late late comers list, but if the person over seeing it could send it to me, I could be the go to person if any need arises for a copy of cabin numbers).
Tink

When we got back from the beach we had a mail in our inbox stating that a convertible was waiting for us, respectively that Alamo was even prepared to have it delivered to us. As we intended to drive to the St Augustine Outlets anyway, I mailed them that we would pick up the car ourselves.
As of 3pm we've been driving the vehicle of our choice: A Mustang Convertible.
The Camaro was a cool car, but a pain to get in and the car with the worst visibilty from the inside I have ever driven - and I used to drive small European convertibles for more than 16 years. Even the ambulances I used to drive when I was a paramedic had better visibilty!
Additionally the Camaro was a gas guzzler. For the approximately 80 miles we have driven it, it needed more than a quarter of its tank. Even at the ridiculously low gas prices over here that would have hurt in the long run. With the Mustang we usually average between 26 and 29mpg.
We had to have one of the clerks in the garage file a damage report for the 'stang as it has a couple of dents and scratches. They are only visible at close quarters, but I don't wanna pay for them when we return the vehicle on Saturday. And of course we didn't fill up the Camaro and insisted on having the first tank for the Mustang for free. They complied with that demand.pirate:

We gave the US economy a big boost at the outlets. We hit Under Armour, Reebok, Nautica, VF and and the Disney Character Outlet, which had lots of leftovers from the Fantasy's Inaugural cruises: Tees, lithographies, postcards and other stuff, but I only got me Grumpy-tee.
We got lots of sports garments, four pairs of sports shoes, polos, shirts, swimming trunks and pants.
For Wednesday we plan a visit to The Avenues, a mall in Jacksonville.

Just curious, is anyone on here going on the RandomWind sailing trip with Diane in St. Maarten? She mentioned there were other passengers with kids on this trip and I just thought if they are on the Fantasy, my boys 7&4 might be interested in meeting them before the sailboat trip.

To everyone who made suggestions for capping the budget, thank you so much. Will discuss with DH what works best.
Made it home from SC yesterday and now the madness begins again! Packing, un packing, repacking and cleaning!! I only get obsessive like this about packing before a long trip!
Won't be long now!
~jackie:cool1:

Everyone who signed up for the wine meet, There has been a request to change the time so hopefully this won't conflict with anyone else but we are just going to move the wine meet to 2pm same day... I figured since this isn't to much of a change we could make it work... :thumbsup2

See you guys soon!!!
Christina

Works for us! No problem!
~jackie and Hal

See you guys soon!!!
Christina

That sounds good to us! We can't wait! Should we bring one or two bottles? Thanks!

Hope and Aaron

For those needing to print lists of meets and times here you go. You can copy these and print them.

Mixology:

Mickeys demented group 2pm-3pm

Crystal & Trent Rachetto
Alison and Craig Stevenson
Jennifer and dale Anderson
Dodie and Eric auglis
Lisa Garcia
Ded and al auglis
Kris brown
Carrie tucker
Debbie Libya
Cindy Hammond summer
Tamara and Kyle Hight

Mickey Mouse club 4pm - 5pm

Christina and josh area
Nancy Tate dibbs andnrobert
Leslie and Shaun Kirkby
Tracy and Steve Blake
Tiffany and brad Thornton
Chuck and Cheryl
Karen Kelly and Christine contrary
Padilla and Paula cala
Santiago morales and Tammy voraz
Viking and wife

Both are booked for October 7th which is a sea day, on the skyline bar.

Embarktion day party:

2:45 - 3:45 in the D Lounge deck 4 midship

Wine Meet:

1st Sea Day (Oct. 6th) at 2PM Room 6180 room # subject to change*

Crazy Plane Beach

St. Marteen - Oct. 8th - Pick up time is 9 AM return time is 4 PM for most, and earlier for the few that have requested it. So as to make sure everyone is all together for debarkation, we have talked about a meeting place on the boat at around 8 AM. I suggested the Vista Cafe on Deck 4 across from Shutters.
Cost is $35 / per person (I do not believe this is still open - Lea would have final say). Lea also posted that if she has any more updates, she will let us know.
A phone tree is in place, and if the need arises, everyone in the group will get a call about any changes.

Here is the most recent post from Lea (some of this will be a repeat from what I just wrote):
This is the confirmation from Bernard:

Thank you for choosing Bernard's Tours Your reservation is {CONFIRMED } for our {PRIVATE CUSTOMIZED TOUR } we will be meeting you at {9:00 AM } RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE YELLOW BUILDING} at the {INFORMATION CENTER } next to the CLAUDE WATHEY STATUE{PLEASE WALK UP TO THE {INFORMATION CENTER} { ONCE AT THE INFORMATION CENTER PLEASE ASK FOR {BERNARD} We are located about { IT IS A THREE MINUTES WALK ON THE PIER FROM THE SHIP TO THE INFORMATION CENTER}

{PRIVATE CUSTOMIZED TOUR $35.00 PER PERSON) {DEPOSIT $50.00 ALREADY PAID }

{BALANCE DUE UPON ARRIVAL } We accept payment by Cash Master Card, American Express, Visa and Discovery Credit Card..

I have told him about our numbers

up to 41 people going to Orient, Maho and then Marigot
up to 15 people going to Gailon, Maho then back to port.

I have also told him that some people will want to swap at Maho and go back to port rather than go to Marigot.

I am waiting to hear back from him regarding how much cash we will need on the day to cover beach admissions and chair rentals etc, as well as currency required.

As we need to meet at the statue at the information centre at 9am, may I suggest we meet from 8am at a lounge (as I have not been on the Fantasy before, I have no preference of a good place - suggestions needed) with a view of walking off the ship at 8:30? Not sure what time we are due to dock however....

If people miss the lounge meetup, as long as they meet at the statue by say 8:50, I think that would be ok.

I will have a list of people (by their disname), which I will check off to ensure we don't miss anyone.

Can't wait for the local wine tasting! I will be bringing a red and a white from Cannon River Winery in Cannon Falls, MN! :cool1:

Tink,
even though St Martin/St Marteen is half French and half Dutch you won't need any Euros. They accept Dollars everywhere, so there's no need to change any money.
Anja & I will probably take some Euros with us, but only for the case that it would be cheaper to pay in Euros - which I highly doubt.

Our new neighbours in the B'n'B must be from the Lone Star State - at least their tag says so. So perhaps we'll have an opportunity to get used to the accent :lmao:

Today we didn't run at the beach, but did an hour of BodyPump and then another hour of BodyStep in the evening. I guess tomorrow we'll be kinda sore, but as we like to say 'Pain is weakness leaving the body' pirate:
We're presently pondering the possiblity to make tomorrow's morning run a powerwalk - we'll see ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter