Earthquake in Virginia

Felt it in Central NJ, I was driving when it happened. I was stopped and felt my car rocking and I thought that my car was stalling or it was a gust of wind. It was definitely weird, but hope that everyone is safe.

I was at work 30 miles from the epicenter and it was pretty scary. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was - I thought at first it was a truck crashing into the building and then I thought the air conditioning was exploding and then I realized what it was.

I looked like a crazy person - running around in my office trying to remember what you're supposed to do in an earthquake....get in a doorway...no, get under the desk....no, go outside.....and then it was over.

I'm just glad nobody was filming me at the time......I must have looked absolutely stupid.....:rotfl2:

Lynn

I live not far (10 minutes) from Norfolk, VA and they're doing fine. DH works in Norfolk and their office was evacuated, but everyone is okay. In Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, VA Beach...no reports of damage yet. Just a good rattle and most of us are still feeling a bit disoriented.

Just got a message from him. He was out on the water, got off the ship about an hour after it happened, and didn't even know it happened until his sister called him to make sure he was ok!:thumbsup2

It's weird because some people felt it in North Jersey and some didn't. DS and I didn't feel anything and neither did mom. One of DS's friends was outside and didn't feel it but his next door neighbor did. We are having cellphone problems. I tried to call DH and I get a recording that it's a non-working number.

I noticed another DISer from up here say she didn't feel it, yet I definitely did. The cell circuits are jammed, but you should be able to text. Mine is just coming on again, but not all calls are coming through.

I noticed another DISer from up here say she didn't feel it, yet I definitely did. The cell circuits are jammed, but you should be able to text. Mine is just coming on again, but not all calls are coming through.

Our cell service is slowing getting back to normal now

what a feeling....like everything was OUT of your control!!! There was nothing you could do but go for the ride, once outside...thank goodness, not real damage

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

:scared1:

land line working...cell not working. They closed all the government buildings in my county and I think Baltimore. It was nuts though!! Hope not to feel that again!

I'm glad that those closer to the center are doing well. I was concerned once I realized I felt it all the way up in NJ from down there.

What's really sad is that myself, along with so many other NJ & NYers, had one immediate thought when it first started: Is this another terrorist attack? As someone who was so close to the 9-11 attack, I guess it is only to be expected.

I have a theory that the shaking traveled up the fault line so if you are closer to the fault line the more you felt it. DH finally called me. He's near Philly right now. He didn't feel it either but he said there was construction next to where he parked the car and he might have just thought it was the vibration from the construction.

About 25 years ago we had 2 small earthquakes early in the morning. My Sheltie woke up and started barking. I heard a rumbling and thought it was a plane. We now have a very old beagle and he didn't even wake up.

I have a theory that the shaking traveled up the fault line so if you are closer to the fault line the more you felt it. DH finally called me. He's near Philly right now. He didn't feel it either but he said there was construction next to where he parked the car and he might have just thought it was the vibration from the construction.

About 25 years ago we had 2 small earthquakes early in the morning. My Sheltie woke up and started barking. I heard a rumbling and thought it was a plane. We now have a very old beagle and he didn't even wake up.

I heard that too. I heard it travelled up diagonally from VA to DC to Balt. and NE... sort of like up I-95

I am in Peterborough, Ontario (about an hour north-east of TO) and I certainly felt it here! A very strange sensation indeed!

Colorado had a 5.3 earthquake last night - the biggest quake in Colorado in 40 years. Very strange to have earthquakes on the east coast and here in Colorado, neither area is prone to earthquakes.

I am in Michigan between Ann arbor and Detroit and I definitely felt it. The ceiling tiles started to shake and the binder bin door on my desk was rattling. It was a strange sensation for sure.

We are in Florida but my mother in law's house is 40 miles from the center. So far no real damage at her home but some turned over plants, furniture and such.

I felt it at work here in NC. Funny thing was that even in the same building, building complex and the area the effects were different. I barely felt it since I was on my feet. People sitting in their cubes felt it differently as did a guy who was at home.

We have an earthquake and a hurricane on the way. Afraid to ask what is next. Fire? Locusts? Plague? :confused3:rotfl:

Looks like the hurricane will go more east so that is goodness.

Later,
Dan

I live 30 miles from the center and It definately spooked my friend and I! Her son started screaming but my DD slept like a rock through it!

I am in Boston. My building is over the water and it felt like we were on a ship. It was crazy. At first I thought it was just me but then everyone stood up looking at each other confused. We all thought a boat hit the support structure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter