E-cigarette at the school concert

You can possibly be right. However, I did not smell a cigarette smoke smell. It is hard to describe. And, while not a hideous smell it was a distinct smell.

I should add that I agree with the fact that it a healthier version of the traditional cigarette and I applaud anyone who is using this device as a way to quit the habit. However, studies I have seen are inconclusive that they are completely free of emitting airborne chemicals. That is why I do not think it is appropriate to use in an elementary school. I am addicted to my Tim Horton's coffee but it has a strong odor and would never bring it into an auditorium full of people knowing that they may dislike the smell. Courtesy goes both ways.

There are so many different brands and flavors out there, its hard to say how many have a smell.

The first time dh and i tried them, we got the cheapest one we could find. YUCK. As bad as it tasted, I would not be shocked that it had a bad smell. :rotfl:

Courtesy should always come first. I would have never even thought to use one inside a building, let alone a school.

Yep, we had several people smoking these stupid things in front of us at a Chargers game. The vapor or whatever the heck it is came blowing back in our faces through the whole game. It gave me a monster headache. I was so angry!! Security told them to stop several times and they would just start back up again. For some reason smoking e-cigs and rude behavior seem to go hand in hand.

The policy at some stadiums for violations can include the discretion to immediately eject someone. While these things may not be specifically noted as "smoking" tools, it appears that many have considered them as such.

Some teams may go so far as to pull someone's season tickets. If a season ticket holder resells or gives away tickets, whoever is using those tickets may subject the season ticket holder to that penalty.

I find them obnoxious when smoked in places like grocery stores, school functions, dentist office (saw this just yesterday:headache:), etc. Totally a "Look at me" situation.

I do too, but not for the same reason.

To me...Before these e-cigs came out, what did you do if you couldn't smoke somewhere? You waited...It sucked! It did! (I was a smoker) But you survived.

I think people can make it through a school concert or grocery store without using one.

I do too, but not for the same reason.

To me...Before these e-cigs came out, what did you do if you couldn't smoke somewhere? You waited...It sucked! It did! (I was a smoker) But you survived.

I think people can make it through a school concert or grocery store without using one.

Whatever happened to patches or gum?

I wonder how many people honestly do smell something from the e-cig and how many think they do. I mean it looks like smoke so your brain would say that there is a smell.

I use the e-cig at work (outside) but several non-smokers have commented about there being NO smell whatsoever.

DD is in a college freshman and one of her roommates uses one in the dorm room all the time. :furious: DD does say that it actually smells good because the girl uses a flavored one, BUT it absolutely contains nicotine. The girl is using it to stop smoking. She hasn't gotten to the nicotine-free point yet. Sorry, but I think it is total BS that this is being allowed in such a tiny, enclosed space. I don't care if I have a preconceived notion of cigarettes (and I do) there isn't enough (any) research that shows the long term use of my kid inhaling her "water vapor."

I know the college is looking at enacting a policy regarding e-cigarettes. DD said a few people have used them in class, but if the professor notices, they are told to stop or leave the classroom. She said she is shocked by the number of people walking around campus with them. I'm not sure they are all trying to quit smoking or if this is more of a fad for that age.

What are you thinking the outcome of calling someone would be? Can you identify the person by name and want the principal to call them? Or are you wanting the school to make a 'no e-cigarette' policy?

Since you can't fix stupid, THIS! :)

I don't know how anyone could possibly think sending puffs of smoke into the air in the audience wouldn't distract from the performance. Regardless of whether it stank, whether it was unhealthy, whatever... it was rude!

That is disgusting, and needs to be reported!

What exactly is disgusting about it? :confused3

DD is in a college freshman and one of her roommates uses one in the dorm room all the time. :furious: DD does say that it actually smells good because the girl uses a flavored one, BUT it absolutely contains nicotine. The girl is using it to stop smoking. She hasn't gotten to the nicotine-free point yet. Sorry, but I think it is total BS that this is being allowed in such a tiny, enclosed space. I don't care if I have a preconceived notion of cigarettes (and I do) there isn't enough (any) research that shows the long term use of my kid inhaling her "water vapor."

I know the college is looking at enacting a policy regarding e-cigarettes. DD said a few people have used them in class, but if the professor notices, they are told to stop or leave the classroom. She said she is shocked by the number of people walking around campus with them. I'm not sure they are all trying to quit smoking or if this is more of a fad for that age.

I think that they should be used in the same way cigarettes where used before all the bans-outside. Dorm rooms, classrooms and the like are not the place for them. Its the total ban of the e-cig that is silly.

It does! Who wants the smoke, I think it's gross.

There is no smoke. No tobacco, no smoke.

It does! Who wants the smoke, I think it's gross.

There are a lot of things that gross me out, for instance, obese people in restaurants. I have to suck it up though and look away. If there are no policies regarding ecigs or if they are allowed, people who are grossed out by them can also look away.

There are a lot of things that gross me out, for instance, obese people in restaurants. I have to suck it up though and look away. If there are no policies regarding ecigs or if they are allowed, people who are grossed out by them can also look away.

I'm right with you, the amount of narrow-minded, cruel and rude people I have to put up with on a regular basis really gross me out, but I just suck it up too.

E-cigs have no smoke, only water vapour. To the best of my knowledge, this contains minute amounts of nicotine, (I'm not sure how discernible this would even be?). I'd say it's as harmful and probably less intrusive than the steam off a cup of coffee to those in the same room.

There are so many types of e-cigarettes available and they are also used for other "uses". There are vaporizers pens being sold that "medical marijuana" oil can be used in them. They are also "vaporizers" that are used with dry herb...but they don't really vaporized they just electronically burn the herb.

So my point is you don't always know what is being smoked and what is being exhaled.

Whatever happened to patches or gum?

Both address the nicotine issue but not the hand-to-mouth habit. E-cigs allow smokers to step down the nicotine and address the physical addiction separately from addressing the mental habit/routine of smoking.

I'm not saying, FTR, that they should be allowed anywhere. I'm completely supportive of bans in indoor areas - as someone else said, smokers have had to make it through a school event or trip to the grocery store without lighting up for a long time and managed just fine - but I do think they should be their own category when it comes to outdoor/open air situations. Quite simply put, there is no evidence of harm as there is for second-hand smoke and "I don't like the smell" shouldn't be grounds for outlawing anything (but if it is, I'd like to start a grassroots movement to ban Axe and its' knock-offs!).

E-cigs have no smoke, only water vapour. To the best of my knowledge, this contains minute amounts of nicotine, (I'm not sure how discernible this would even be?). I'd say it's as harmful and probably less intrusive than the steam off a cup of coffee to those in the same room.

I look forward to the conclusions from the U of M study so that we actually have facts to go on, but until then I will offer my anecdotal experience...

My husband is a long time smoker. He has, at various times, tried to quit cold turkey, using the patch, and using gum. None have worked. Since he got his e-cig, however, he's been successful in not smoking in our home or in my car (I don't care what he does in his work truck) and he's had a much easier time traveling because stepping out for a puff or two from the e-cig is much easier, quicker, and less intrusive than taking the time to smoke a cigarette. Since he switched in the house I have found there's no longer that nicotine residue apparent when I clean - anyone who has lived with a smoker knows what I mean - which tells me that much less of the stuff is getting into the air compared to smoking the old fashioned way.

Wait for this one: There are now e-cigs for liquid marijuana. It has a slight odor but NOTHING like a joint. But you can tell. It stinks! :eek: Get it at your local dispensary :headache: My girlfriend showed me hers. It has a pipe type tip. That's how you can tell it's different. It's flat, like you are going to play the clarinet. They are just as small as the e-cigs. But you can see the liquid. Just a public service announcement in case anyone wanted to know ;)

So, now, I keep looking at the tips of the e-cigs everyone is using when I see them. ;)

I'm sure there are ways to make this happen, but I have an ecig, larger than cigarette-sized, that has a replaceable tip--and my tip is flat. And my tank is clear so that you can see the liquid. And it's just a cherry tobacco, no MJ involved whatsoever. Don't assume someone is being illicit just because of the form of their gear. :)

Been around quite a few e-cigs. Any odor is very dependent on what went into the e-cig. The cheap disposable ones have a slightly unpleasant smell to me but it's minor and temporary. The higher end ones that still look like cigarette's (Blu) have a slight electronic smell from however the juice is heated. To me it's like turning a 70s era stereo on after not using it for a while. The big ones with the tank, at least to me, only give a hint of any odor if the juice is flavored and then there's the mildest smell of whatever flavor that is.

Even though I don't find them offensive at all I do think that it would be poor manners to use one in a crowded situation. Stepping off to the side and having a puff or two wouldn't bother me in the least. It all comes down to the policies for the location, though. Either they are prohibited or not.

I'm sure there are ways to make this happen, but I have an ecig, larger than cigarette-sized, that has a replaceable tip--and my tip is flat. And my tank is clear so that you can see the liquid. And it's just a cherry tobacco, no MJ involved whatsoever. Don't assume someone is being illicit just because of the form of their gear. :)

Yes. The juice/oil that they make using marijuana can generally be used in any typ e of e-cig. It isn't limited to a certain type of tip.

More than anything, the e cig is a distraction from the concert. For the audience and the performers. Just like flash photography is a distraction.

The vast majority of people would never dream of doing that at a concert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter