dvd's

If you have a mulit-region dvd player. If it is a newer dvd player it may well be multi region. Also there are some codes I think you can put in that convert them (so Ive heard)...

Yep, you need to have a multi region player. It's a bit hit and miss - our is old, but was a good expensive model at the time. Then just the really cheap ones were, now you can 'chip' most models. Others will have the website with all the details of how to do this - sorry can't help further.

If your DVD is not Multi-region, you should be able to find the code here that you will need.

Hope this helps?

I used the hack codes to make mine multi region it works fine - once you've got into the menu it's best to set it at region free and then you don't have to alter it back and forth.

Its impossible now to buy a reg 2 machine
if yours is It would cost you more to chip it than buying a new player

personally i didnt find the dvd's to be any cheaper at all. Unless it was one on a special offer etc. i buy all mine from an american website and get them delivered for free so not worth it for me.

The other thing is you are only allowed to bring back goods up to the value of £140!! ( rediculous i know!!) so if you do get your bags searched they can charge you tax on anything new over that value.

As said above, you can get region 1 DVDs online for probably the same or less than you would get them in the US, the only real advantage of buying in the US is if the DVD is either not available in the UK/On-line or is released earlier in the US than it is in the UK. But even then, you can still get them on-line at Play or CDWow etc.

hi all

We just got the kids a cheap and cheerful dvd player for each of their bedrooms. From Asda, the Pacific 9000 (I think) about 24.00. There is a handset code you punch in and it plays anything, region 0 - 9 copied discs the lot, brill for the money.

You have to bear in mind too, that there tv format is NTSC not PAL, so you will need to make sure that your tv can handle it. Most can these days but worth checking

Cheers

Steve

Oddjob said:
Its impossible now to buy a reg 2 machine
if yours is It would cost you more to chip it than buying a new player

You shouldn't be able to buy a multi-region machine out of the box in most retail shops as they are obliged to sell Region 2 machines. Many of the cheaper makes can be hand set hacked using the correct code easily obtainable on the net, but be aware before buying a player that not all machines have hand set hacks available, for example I haven't been able to track down a hack for a Philips combi TV that I have and Sony are well known for being very difficult to hack.

That said some shops now sell cheap brands that are multi-region and I don't know how they get around the rules. The best player we have is a cheap Cyberhome one that has never failed to read a DVD yet, even where other players have failed.

Another alternative is to buy of the internet and Amazon do a number that are multi-region at a very reasonable price.

Funny that.
Yes the shops are not supposed to sell anything but region 2 units, but they do. My Denon came from an upmarket HiFi shop and was delivered as a multi region hack........

I bought a Multi Region DVD from either Comet or Currys (can't remember which, sorry, but it's on their website!) for under £35, bargain! They gave me the code when I bought it but it was also available on the website.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter