DVC vs. Yearly Resort Vacations?

Hi. I think the maintenance fee is what gets me. Depending on what resort I stay in, the cost for my room could equal JUST the maintenance fee at DVC. I would need a minimum of 500 points to do what I do now, so I'm just not ready for the investment.

I think DVC works best for people who can drive there in a couple hours, so the cost of transportation is not a major consideration. Short stays Sun-Thurs are pretty cheap in points, so you can do it a couple times a year.

Well, we are DVC and live in the Raleigh NC area (so it is 10+ hours to Orlando). We usually fly but do drive as well. We rarely do short stays (once DD I went 3 nights), but usually it 7 nights minimum.

We will have spent 22 nights on DVC points in 2009 on 3 separate trips.

I still think DVC works for us. We are a "deluxe" family- if we didn't have DVC we would stay at deluxe resorts and love to go at least once a year.

Hi. I think the maintenance fee is what gets me. Depending on what resort I stay in, the cost for my room could equal JUST the maintenance fee at DVC. I would need a minimum of 500 points to do what I do now, so I'm just not ready for the investment.

I think DVC works best for people who can drive there in a couple hours, so the cost of transportation is not a major consideration. Short stays Sun-Thurs are pretty cheap in points, so you can do it a couple times a year.

This is true. We need to fly so when you add in the cost of airfare, tickets, and food it probably equals out. But, going twice per year on points and taking advantage of the AP is a help. There are so many pros and cons.

I'm a DVC owner, 3 contracts, 500 pts. We have faithfully gone to WDW for many years and have enjoyed all of our vacations.

With that being said, I would not buy DVC if I had to do it over again. It has nothing to do with the cost. The contracts were paid in cash and the maintenance fees are no big deal.

My husband and I are now in our mid 50's and our 3 sons are grown. When we bought the first contract, they were still loving going to WDW and we thought we'd end up with 3 contracts, one to give to each son at some point. Now not one of the 3 sons has any desire to vacation at WDW. Even having children of their own, they'd all rather go to the beach than WDW. Maybe it was too many trips there as children, I don't know.

1. In the past 5 years, it is increasingly difficult to get into Beach Club at 9 months, 7 months etc. I have a hard time planning anything at 11 months and it's bothersome to have to.

2. The points are not a good value to use outside of DVC. Because we have so many now with nobody wanting to use them, we have looked into RCI. Good luck with that. Plan 2 years out and be flexible. That doesn't work for me.

3. The DVC resorts are nice but because we don't cook or do laundry on vacation, it's not much different than staying at a hotel and when we go to WDW, we are not limited to DVC resorts because I can't justify a cash stay when I have so many points. I miss staying at the GF.

4. 50 years of vacationing at the same location is a long time.

Thank you for your honesty here, it's tremendously helpful. My family loves Disney but they are already starting to show less interest in Mickey :eek: and more interest in places like the Grand Canyon and Washington DC.

That is the question... I've decided to NOT DVC because I like to plan too much. This would make it WAY to easy! :cutie:

I'm a DVC owner, 3 contracts, 500 pts. We have faithfully gone to WDW for many years and have enjoyed all of our vacations.

With that being said, I would not buy DVC if I had to do it over again. It has nothing to do with the cost. The contracts were paid in cash and the maintenance fees are no big deal.

My husband and I are now in our mid 50's and our 3 sons are grown. When we bought the first contract, they were still loving going to WDW and we thought we'd end up with 3 contracts, one to give to each son at some point. Now not one of the 3 sons has any desire to vacation at WDW. Even having children of their own, they'd all rather go to the beach than WDW. Maybe it was too many trips there as children, I don't know.

1. In the past 5 years, it is increasingly difficult to get into Beach Club at 9 months, 7 months etc. I have a hard time planning anything at 11 months and it's bothersome to have to.

2. The points are not a good value to use outside of DVC. Because we have so many now with nobody wanting to use them, we have looked into RCI. Good luck with that. Plan 2 years out and be flexible. That doesn't work for me.

3. The DVC resorts are nice but because we don't cook or do laundry on vacation, it's not much different than staying at a hotel and when we go to WDW, we are not limited to DVC resorts because I can't justify a cash stay when I have so many points. I miss staying at the GF.

4. 50 years of vacationing at the same location is a long time.

Your post has summed up very well the thoughts of my husband who realizes that in a few years our kids will be teens and we may not be as into Disney as what we are now.

Mary

Kaffinito - DH suggested the same thing when he saw I was having reservations about the purchase (trying it out first). He was acutally a bit shocked since I've been trying to put the pressure on to buy for the last year.

We've never actually stayed in a DVC resort :rolleyes1 so that would probably make more sense.
I would definitely try it out first before buying it! That way you can see if your vacations match what DVC offers. I don't cook while on a trip, but I will do laundry, so I like the features of the 1 bedroom. I also dislike daily housekeeping. With a 1 bedroom I can also put my older teen and my youngest in the living room, especially at BLT or AKV.

Rent points and give DVC a try - try out AKV or VWL for starters. ;)

I've tossed this around way to many times. It's just not for me. If I'm going to put that money out I rather own a house there.

But if you own a house there then you have to vacation there all the time. :) If you buy DVC then you can go to the beach at HHI or at VB. You can also go to DL Paris on points (if you're feeling flagrant), or you can use your points to go to the new Hawaiian property (opens in 2013/2014) or to DL.

We thought about buying a house there too, but I would rather get to go to several different places than one place, and this way we don't always have to go to Orlando. :goodvibes

We didn't jump into DVC right away, but so glad we did. Some of my reasons are similar.

When traveling with more than the 2 of us, we never pay extra for additional adults in the room. So we can book a 1 bedroom and take my adult daughter and SIL and they can crash on the sofa bed. No extra $25 per person per night fee! This was especially important for us as our grandson is now 15 and still likes to travel with us, so in 3 years we would've had to pay that extra fee.

We don't cook on vacation either. Eating out is part of our vacation. However, when it's pouring outside, it's nice to have that kitchen to whip up from nachos and margaritas!

It is nice have the washer and dryer. I never use them, but my adult kids do because they like to have their laundry done before departing so they don't have to do it at home ... Plus it's great when the weather takes a turn and you only have one sweatshirt to wear....we have washed our sweatshirts a few times.

Did you know that the Contemporary cost $29 a night in 1971 (quoted on the recent webcast-DVC). So in 37 years the price has really gone up. How much do you think the Poly will cost 20 years from now?

We have been members for only 4 years and we have never had a problem getting a DVC resort at the 7 month window....however, we don't travel during holidays. Our travel pattern is: late January, 2 weeks early May, late August, 2 weeks late October.

We can add the dining plan and not have to purchase tickets for the entire traveling party. Of course, there are the perks, which can change at any time, like $100 off APs, free internet, free movie rental, free valet parking....just to name a few.

DVC isn't for everyone and I was afraid because of the "timeshare" stigma, but after I realized that DVC was not the normal timeshare it didn't take me too long to make the purchase.

I do have to say, that since becoming a DVC member, I have never met anyone who has regretted their decision to buy a DVC membership. I'm sure there might be someone out there, but I've not met them yet.

Good luck on your decision.

DVC works great for us too! We always fly out of Dulles. We will have spent 35 nights at our DVC resorts this year alone--2009!

Our maintenance fees are higher than most : $2,500 (because we own 610 points)

This year I've stayed:

6 nights at the BWV (studio) (Jan 09)
12 nights at the BCV (studio) (May 09)
5 nights at the BCV (for daughter) (studio)(same time as us, May 09)
5 nights at the WLV (studio) (July 09)
5 nights at the BCV (2 bedroom) (Aug 09)
6 nights at the BWV (1 bedroom) (Oct 09)
2 nights at the BWV (studio) (Dec 09)

Our first visit in January at the BWV for 6 nights would've cost us over $2,000 if booked through CRO. Our 5 nights at the BCV in a 2 bedroom would cost over $3,500 alone.

We too have gone through the presentation and walked through the models several times. Each time I consider becoming a DVC member but I still haven't joined. Reasons? We always stay in a value resort and for the small amount of time we spend in the room, it just seems like a lot of $$$ to sleep (even though it's over a 50 year timeframe). I will always keep DVC as a future option...not knowing how our vacation habits may change. Right now..it's just not right for us.

Simple as this: for some people it works, for some people it doesn't. If you have been educated in everything and still feel the slightest bit uncomfortable...back out. It's too big of a purchase to feel uncomfortable.

4) We vacation in Disney yearly so it just makes sense, but would we be better served just vacationing at the Polynesian since we have no need for anything other than a studio? My fiance and I only use a studio. With 160 points we can get almost TWO weeks in most seasons! :thumbsup2

When you say 2 weeks is this including weekends? This has been the biggest issue for us is that points on weekends are very high. Our vacations are usually always 1 long week saturday thru sunday and 1 or 2 4 day weekends. Thanks for any information.

We have owned almost a year and are very pleased.

I think the resorts are maintained well and the housekeeping schedule they have is sufficient for us. We often get condos at the beach and don't have anything all week, so T & T is a bonus to us.

We own 150 points and our MFs are about $750 a year. Our points gave us 11 nights in a studio in May. For that same $750 I could stay 8 nights in a value. I am not knocking values, I am pointing out that I got bigger accommodations with more amenities and for 3 extra nights.

Our May stay would have cost about $5000 on cash ressies. Our December stay of 11 nights for 132 points adds up to over $5000, so those 2 stays alone almost total our purchase price.

We bought resale and hope to recoup our purchase price if we choose to sell, so we look at the MFs as our cost. This might or might not happen.

I think if you are happy at any resort, the booking is not a problem. If you only want to stay at one certain resort, I would strongly suggest a resale there. I think going through Disney is not wise financially unless you have to have BLT.

We have 2 kids in college and one in high school. It is still a purchase DH and I will enjoy for years. He is looking forward to getting a golf card and golfing for a week. I love the water parks. There is so much to do there besides the theme parks.

Good luck in your decision. I doubt you will regret it if you buy.

We've been DVC members for since 2002, when DS was 3. It has been wonderful; we spend about $1000/year on dues and get to stay in a 1 bedroom for a week or so each year.

Having spent a few nights at POP prior to checking in at BCV, I can say our DVC stays are much more of a relaxing vacation. POP was a mob scene and 3 people sleeping in one room is not something we'd enjoy for an extended time.

As a far as laundry --- throwing in a quick load of laundry in the evening is something I've come to enjoy on vacation. Packing a couple of undies for everyone is so much easier than packing 7 days of undies. Coming home with NO dirty clothes makes the end of vacation more tolerable.

And cooking --- I'm not cooking a turkey on vacation, but making some grilled cheese sandwiches or eggs and toast is a treat!

Spending $$$ on vacation can be seen as wasting money. Nevertheless, I'm so glad we purchased when we did. Knowing we can vacation annually is comforting.

I have rented points on two occasions to defray the costs of a family trips to Mexico, so I'm glad to have that option. Our home resort is Hilton Head and we've never been there! Booking at 7 months has not been a problem so far. We don't want to travel during peak times.

So, for us, DVC has been great.

Hope this helps.

I'm posting in response to the good deals you're seeing now and how long those will last. I found our papers from our 2005 trip for 7 nights at Pop with dining and tickets for 2 adults, 1 junior and 1 child and the total was approx $2400!! Last year we stayed at Pop 9 nights with free dining the week before Thanksgiving for approx $1800. So my point is the economy is playing a role in the good deals and I wouldn't think they'd last for too many years.

That said, we bought into DVC in November because as I've gotten older, Pop was just too small. We rented points and stayed at AK two years ago and I was hooked!! We're staying in a 2 bdr in Nov and bringing my parents along and glad we could invite them for free! (oh, yeah, my step-father is getting us the military tickets!!) So it's the least I can do!

I can understand anyone who is torturing themselves over the decision, because it's a big deal and I went back and forth over it for a year before I finally gave in. I haven't looked back since. It's been a fantastic experience. Is it the cheapest way to stay regularly at Disney? No. But it is the cheapest way to stay in deluxe-level accommodations over the long term.

We've been members since 98 at BWV with 400pts and never have regreted buying in at all. We go every year, and usually stay in a 1bdrm. Over the past several years we've taken both of our son's and their families at different times with us, and stayed at the GF, CR as well as at BWV. When our younger son got married several years ago, I booked a room at the GF for them useing our points. Christmas 2007 I got a GV at BWV for eight days, wow what a wonderful time and vacation that was. Last year we went to DL and stayed at the GC for a week and then flew to WDW for 2 weeks at BWV. It would have cost a small fortune in cash if we had done all the above, but DVC made it all possible for our family, and now our grandchildren.

If your in dought, stop, think about it, what does your gut say about it? DVC IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY! If right now you decide not to buy, there's always the resale market later on for you to look through when you feel your ready.

I keep thinking about it but I have decided it's not for me.

1. The resorts I would want to stay at can cost a lot of points for a 2 week stay even in the value season. The only DVC resorts that interest me are BLT or BCV and both of those for a studio, even standard view in BLT are 102 and 104 respectively, in the value season. We like going in the value seasons but we also don't want to buy 200+ points.

2. I really enjoy taking advantage of the free dining offer. I don't know if I'd enjoy not having the DDP on a WDW vacation and I would have difficulty purchasing the DDP, not for me but for my mom who wouldn't hear it!

3. I can rent points. I feel like renting points, if you don't get one of those d-bags who rent solely for profit, isn't too exspensive. And it's also a good option to easily try different resorts.

4. I don't like being tied down for so long... 50 years? I'm young... I just turned 22, where am I going to be at 77? Am I even going to be alive? OK, so it may not be actually 50 years but it's still a long time to be tied down to something.

5. What if there's a point in my life that I am pressed to even pay the annual dues?

6. I don't live close. What if something happens that I can't fly? I'm not going to drive 3000 miles.

7. I like Pop Century. Call me weird but I really like it. I really hope it isn't rethemed to be anything dumb.

We have talked over and over about it. We went to the presentation years ago, but still haven't bit the bullet. We actually own another timeshare, that has a place in Orlando. But for some reason, it still draws us, and still makes us think hard about it. Our son is 6 and has been to Disney 5 times, soon to be six. We were married there. It's "our" place. So we know we will still be vacationing there for many years to come. I can't wait to take our grandchildren there! We would love to buy, but what is holding us back? Maintenance fees. For the cost of the maintenance fees alone, that would go a long way to paying for a resort stay without being tied in, and without having given up the initial investment. That coupled with the fact that we own somewhere else. What still interests us enough to think about it....the stable resale value. Since Disney has the right of first refusal, you know you won't lose your shirt if you try to sell it. Will you get your purchase price? Probably not. But, the resale value is a LOT greater than it is at our other timeshare. You know they will keep improving the product.

So good luck with your decision, but make sure it is something you are comfortable with!

We have been contemplating this for 4 years now, and every time we are ready to bite the bullet, we back out. Why? I just don't think it's a good deal for us, and I have finally come to the conclusion that we are going to stop thinking about it, and enjoy our yearly stays at the regular resorts. Our reasoning?

Cost - No matter how I slice it, I cannot see it being a good deal. We stay yearly at either moderate or deluxe for anywhere from 8-10 days. With the deals Disney usually runs, dining, 4/3, 30-40% off a room, these trips average us 2-3K per year. That cost includes the room, parks and food. It's going to take a LOT of years to make that back, considering DVC is going to cost us roughly 16K up from, and 700-1K per year in dues, and that doesn't include park admission, or food! There is a reason Disney pushes DVC so hard, and it's not because it's a good deal for the "buyer".

The next big thing is not being able to take advantage of the deals Disney offers. i.e. the stuff I mention above that we take advantage of every year. We also LIKE the resorts. Being able to stay anywhere form CBR, to CSR, to the Wilderness or Animal Kingdom lodge is nice. Also, having daily maid service when paying these prices, and the option to stay at a monorail resort, is very nice as well. I admit, if I had money to just burn, BLT would be where I would stay, only due to location and the monorail.

Lastly, our kids are young. We really enjoy visiting Disney every year. But 10 years from now, when we finally "even out" our costs? Who knows, we may not be visiting yearly, or at all. As much as we love Disney, and trust me, I'm a fanatic, the kids already get a little bored after an extended stay. I would not want to dump a good portion of their college savings into DVC and wind up not using it 5-10 years down the road, and having to deal with selling it. (And who knows how possible any of that will be with today's economy and all that).

Anyway, I guess DVC is a good deal for those who really think it through, and are determined to use it to the fullest. I just think that for us, an average family that loves Disney, it's just not something I want to get into. I don't say this lightly, as I said, been looking into it for 4 years now. For us, we'll keep enjoying the "regular" resorts, and enjoying Disney all the same. :goodvibes

We love DVC. SSR is our home resort, but we've been able to take advantage of staying at the other DVCs as well as deluxe resorts (our last stay was a split stay at the GF and Yacht over the week of New Year's Eve) at 7 or less months out. So far, we haven't had any problems with booking. We also intend on using our points to stay at deluxe resorts around the world.

"We" consists of my parents and me (I'm 20 yr old). I think we initially invested in SSR because some of our friends are DVC members and love it. So far we've never had any problem with DVC- they're nice, kind, and eager to please- which is a big deal for us. We love all of their properties that we have seen (we haven't stayed in them all, as you can see from my sig below).

In terms of paying itself off, I made a spreadsheet on Excel. We have been members for around six years, yet all of our stays combined thus far total around $13,000 dollars. Yes, it pays itself off, even when you add in the dues. To us, this was an investment that we knew we wanted. I can't wait for magical vacations in the future, both in WDW, as well as around the world. PM me if you have any questions. :)

We purchased in 2005 and have never regretted it. We stay from 10-12 days usually and if we would have paid cash for the stays we have already had, we would have spent the same amount of money. The dues per year are way less than paying cash. We pack light and do laundry. We cook 95% of the time in the room due to fussy eaters/cost of food at the parks.;)

We own at SSR and have never stayed there. The lost cost per point is why we bought. We have been able to get ressies as little as 5 weeks out and have always been offered a choice of at least 3 resorts. :thumbsup2 And this was last year when there were lots of AKV owners without Kadini Village being opened so there were fewer rooms overall available. Our favorites so far are AKV and BWV.

Personally I would not buy at BLT because of the high cost of points. We usually travel off-season, so I am sure we would be able to get a ressie there at 7 months out. Good luck on whatever you decide. :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter