DVC vs. Yearly Resort Vacations?

superpug

Earning My Ears
I also posted this on the DVC board but I would really like feedback from both sides (resort goers and DVC owners).

We purchased DVC at BLT and have not sent the paperwork back. My concerns are as follows:

Cons

1) Not getting home resort 7 months out
2) I noticed that BLT is available for nightly rate through CRO in August but I can't book through my DVC (this is a real problem for DH) - no availability :confused3
3) Dues cost over 50 years - Is this going to break even?
4) Saratoga Springs is selling rooms at $169 per night through a Disney promotion for August and September. This is very inexpensive and it appears my DVC points would be more in terms of a cash sale.
5) Appears service is declining throughout Disney. Is this temporary?
6) Noticing some issues with people here booking through RCI. The other vacation destinations was the reason dh agreed to the purchase.

Pros

1) Love the idea of being able to pre-pay my vacations and have a place for my family for 50 years.
2) Disney normally does it the best.
3) Got a fantastic deal on points, yet I noticed points at other resorts are cheaper. Pro or con?
4) We vacation in Disney yearly so it just makes sense, but would we be better served just vacationing at the Polynesian since we have no need for anything other than a studio?

So, I'm a newbie really looking for thoughts from families who have owned DVC for a long time or who decided not to purchase. Have things changed for the worst? If you knew then what you know now would you have purchased DVC today? We jumped into this quickly and all the questions are starting to pop up. For those that have not purchased, why not? Anyone done the math over the course of the timeshare ownership and determined it's not a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

We've looked into DVC a couple of times over the past several years and decided it just wasn't for us :rolleyes1. One reason is that we have 2 teens and we would need enough points for a 2 bedroom each year as I don't think our DSs would make it on a pull out sofa bed for 7-10 nights in a studio or 1 bedroom :confused:. Plus I do not do cook or do laundry on vacation, so the kitchen & washer/dryer wouldn't be of any benefit to us :rolleyes:. We also LOVED the Poly when we had our first stay in 2007 and we will definitely stay there again....along with trying the GF on a future trip.....so DVC points do us no good as the points needed to stay at either of those resorts is way too high :eek:.....and spending points in that respect defeats the purpose of buying DVC, IMO :confused:. DVC definitely works for many people, but just not us :). Good luck with your decision/purchase :wizard:.

We've looked into DVC a couple of times over the past several years and decided it just wasn't for us :rolleyes1. One reason is that we have 2 teens and we would need enough points for a 2 bedroom each year as I don't think our DSs would make it on a pull out sofa bed for 7-10 nights in a studio or 1 bedroom :confused:. Plus I do not do cook or do laundry on vacation, so the kitchen & washer/dryer wouldn't be of any benefit to us :rolleyes:. We also LOVED the Poly when we had our first stay in 2007 and we will definitely stay there again....along with trying the GF on a future trip.....so DVC points do us no good as the points needed to stay at either of those resorts is way too high :eek:.....and spending points in that respect defeats the purpose of buying DVC, IMO :confused:. DVC definitely works for many people, but just not us :). Good luck with your decision/purchase :wizard:.

I did not even consider this. We don't do laundry either (or cook for that matter). This is so helpful to me.

Lots of pros and cons for either choice.. definitely no right or wrong, just whether it's "right" for you. For example, we pack light and always use the washer and dryer. We also pick up groceries for the week and use the kitchen for 90% of our meals.. a huge money saver for us.

As for CRO having rooms and DVC does not, that's a common complaint. Disney owns a small percentage of points so that they can rent them out on a cash basis.

Then there's the whole "how much will a room cost at Disney in 10, 20 or 30 years". ;)

I also posted this on the DVC board but I would really like feedback from both sides (resort goers and DVC owners).

We purchased DVC at BLT and have not sent the paperwork back. My concerns are as follows:

Cons

2) I noticed that BLT is available for nightly rate through CRO in August but I can't book through my DVC (this is a real problem for DH) - no availability :confused3
4) Saratoga Springs is selling rooms at $169 per night through a Disney promotion for August and September. This is very inexpensive and it appears my DVC points would be more in terms of a cash sale.
6) Noticing some issues with people here booking through RCI. The other vacation destinations was the reason dh agreed to the purchase.

Pros

1) Love the idea of being able to pre-pay my vacations and have a place for my family for 50 years.
3) Got a fantastic deal on points, yet I noticed points at other resorts are cheaper. Pro or con?
4) We vacation in Disney yearly so it just makes sense, but would we be better served just vacationing at the Polynesian since we have no need for anything other than a studio?

So, I'm a newbie really looking for thoughts from families who have owned DVC for a long time or who decided not to purchase. Have things changed for the worst? If you knew then what you know now would you have purchased DVC today? We jumped into this quickly and all the questions are starting to pop up. For those that have not purchased, why not? Anyone done the math over the course of the timeshare ownership and determined it's not a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

We have been DVC members since 1998 and wouldn't trade it for the world. Frist to clarify you can make reservations at your home resort 11 months early and at other DVC resorts 7 months early. I can't speak on RCI as we only use our points thus far at DVC resorts. We have found the cost of rooms rises each year and we enjoy staying at the deluxe resorts so we enjoy not worrying about having to pay for our room. We used to go to WDW twice a year but now that my daughter is older it is once per year. We enjoy the one bedroom. We do not cook but it is nice having a kitchen for snacks, breakfast etc. Also points at BLT are more as it is the newest resort. Can't wait to stay there from 9/5- 9/14!!

DVC works for us because we rarely go anywhere else on vacation; our son is autistic and for him WDW is the best. I like having the laundry facility in the room so we can pack in carry-on luggage and I do laundry. It's a trade-off I am happy to make. I hate waiting for the luggage at MCO and always used to worry about the airline losing everything.

I like the microwave and refrigerator in the kitchen. I like having 2 tv's in the one BR.

We like being able to plan 11 months in advance, just works because we aren't spontaneous at all. We have 200 points at the BWV and now 50 points at BLT, and are thrilled that we can go on a 9 night vacation in November on points. Every trip, DH says "I wish we would have joined sooner".

We have been DVC members since 2002 and added on in 2008. You are able to book your home resort at 11 months and unless you are gong at an extremely popular time or requesting a room type with low inventory (i.e. GV) I don't think you would ever have trouble at 11 months out. Even 7 months, if not traveling at peak times you can usually stay at a non-home resort.

I would not buy DVC if you are not going to use the majority of your points at WDW (or DL).

While I don't cook on vacation I love having the full size fridge for snacks and drinks and I ADORE the laundry. We go for 10+ days and with 2 children having laundry is a must.

Price per point depends on the resort popularity and availability.

We normally stay at ASMusic but have decided to buy in to DVC at AKL. Part of the reason is that we do longer trips, and eating every meal in a restaurant gets very old very fast. We'll still be at AsMu 4 or 5 nights each year, but that will be the only part of our vacation that gets spent in a hotel room. The other factor for us is that we travel at one of the busiest times of the year -- Pres. Week -- so we're looking to spend the busiest park days just hanging around the resort. Even comparing DVC MF's to value resort rates, we'll break even down the road.

But...we're also in the process of buying a TS off-site. For considerably less than DVC, we're getting multiple bedrooms and if we don't want to use it one year we can trade or rent it. I would never buy DVC to exchange it, except by booking at other DVC resorts.

Simple as this: for some people it works, for some people it doesn't. If you have been educated in everything and still feel the slightest bit uncomfortable...back out. It's too big of a purchase to feel uncomfortable.

To answer some:
Cons

1) Not getting home resort 7 months out...Depends on season. You'll probably always be able to get SSR.
2) I noticed that BLT is available for nightly rate through CRO in August but I can't book through my DVC (this is a real problem for DH) - no availability Yes, at I believe 60 days out rooms are released to CRO to try to get them occupied. Again, you'll still probably be able to get SSR.
3) Dues cost over 50 years - Is this going to break even? You can run numbers all day long. People can look at it the way it will and the way it won't. Most likely--yes.
4) Saratoga Springs is selling rooms at $169 per night through a Disney promotion for August and September. This is very inexpensive and it appears my DVC points would be more in terms of a cash sale. Well...in 1 year will it be that price? In 5? The economy is bad and there are alot of deals right now. It will NOT always be that way. You can not look at it in terms of this. DVC is prepaying for vacations and thats it.
5) Appears service is declining throughout Disney. Is this temporary? Remember--- you have to make your own magic! If you always look at the negatives, you'll never see the positives. Also remember people are more likley to come in here and report bad things rather than good. I have traveled to Disney 3 times in the past 6 months. It has been FANTASTIC.
6) Noticing some issues with people here booking through RCI. The other vacation destinations was the reason dh agreed to the purchase. Yes, book primarily for Disney not the others. There will be the option for others but it isn't as easy to do as booking a DVC vacation.

Pros

1) Love the idea of being able to pre-pay my vacations and have a place for my family for 50 years. Yup! :thumbsup2
2) Disney normally does it the best. *Always* does it best! :thumbsup2
3) Got a fantastic deal on points, yet I noticed points at other resorts are cheaper. Pro or con? Yes, other resorts SSR primarily are not as expensive...resale etc..but BLT is the PRIME DVC right now you can't expect a monerail resort the newest one to be selling at SSR resale prices.
4) We vacation in Disney yearly so it just makes sense, but would we be better served just vacationing at the Polynesian since we have no need for anything other than a studio? My fiance and I only use a studio. With 160 points we can get almost TWO weeks in most seasons! :thumbsup2

I have dreamed about owning DVC, but financially it doesn't make sense for us at all.

I've done the math a million ways. We only stay at value and moderate resorts once a year...we pay far less doing that than what DVC costs, even with resort price increases. Even if we started staying at WL or AKL the price is still too high.

Plus as others have said, it only makes sense if you plan to use it all at WDW...trading out doesn't get you the value for the money.

For me the choice would be much more emotional than logical. I love the idea of having the room paid for and the option of getting bigger places to take our family with us. But DH is too logical! ;) Good luck with your decision.

I have dreamed about owning DVC, but financially it doesn't make sense for us at all.

I've done the math a million ways. We only stay at value and moderate resorts once a year...we pay far less doing that than what DVC costs, even with resort price increases. Even if we started staying at WL or AKL the price is still too high.

Plus as others have said, it only makes sense if you plan to use it all at WDW...trading out doesn't get you the value for the money.

For me the choice would be much more emotional than logical. I love the idea of having the room paid for and the option of getting bigger places to take our family with us. But DH is too logical! ;) Good luck with your decision.

This is exactly the reason I jumped at the chance to buy and probably not the best one. I should have put much more thought and research into my decision but Disney sure made it easy to buy.

I'd say from your post of pros and cons that it may not be right for you. Can you decline and take longer to decide? Do that if you can.

I have not bought. Reasons: Do not need kitchen etc. I can take advantage of the free meal plan when offered (DVC members do not get this.
Someone mentioned not knowing hotel prices in years to come and that is true but do I really know if I want to go to Disney years from now.

I do not like to be locked into anything.

Cons

For the more popular resorts, that might be an issue. I am sure it will continue to be for BLT. Not getting in at 11 months out would be a bigger problem, but so far from the Room Availability thread it is not. Besides, you can wait list for your preferred view.

You could wait list for your preferred view right now. If you are looking for MK view, those will be hard to get unless you book at the 11 month window.

Not necessarily. BLT has the lowest dues right now, and that will probably continue. If you factor in the dues and add in the cost of a stay through CRO you might find that right now it about breaks even. As room rates go up, you will be paying a lot less than you would in the future.

I'm not following you here. Do you mean if you buy SSR? OR are you talking about staying at SSR?

Some people think so, some people don't.

Don't buy DVC just for the other destinations. Buy another timeshare if that's the case. :)

Pros

Con. You have to look at the dues as well as the point cost up front.

Perhaps. But how much is that room at the Poly going to cost you in ten years vs that studio in terms of $$$? How much are you yearly dues going to be in ten years? Less than the Poly or more? Most of us found that it would cost less over the long term.

So, I'm a newbie really looking for thoughts from families who have owned DVC for a long time or who decided not to purchase. We jumped into this quickly and all the questions are starting to pop up. For those that have not purchased, why not? Anyone done the math over the course of the timeshare ownership and determined it's not a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

We haven't owned a long time, but have stayed at DVC before making the decision to make the purchase. This is one of those decisions that you can't just rush into. Weigh the pros and cons carefully and then decide. You can wait a few years like some of us did before making the purchase, right? In the meantime, rent points, stay at a few properties, and then decide.

We rented a few times and waited a few years before making the purchase. We also didn't finance the purchase, which makes a difference. I know that DVC is right for us on a few levels. It might be best for you to make sure before committing yourself to a big purchase like this one. :)

Kaffinito - DH suggested the same thing when he saw I was having reservations about the purchase (trying it out first). He was acutally a bit shocked since I've been trying to put the pressure on to buy for the last year.

We've never actually stayed in a DVC resort :rolleyes1 so that would probably make more sense.

I've tossed this around way to many times. It's just not for me. If I'm going to put that money out I rather own a house there.

We decided against DVC it just didn't seem right for us.

1. We have been able to get great deals on resort stays using AP discounts and PIN codes and bouncebacks. If you combine the maintainence dues with the inital buy in price (divided by years in length of contract) the annual cost of DVC ownership was just about the same as the discounted resort stay.

2. We don't typically do laundry or cook on vacation, maybe we would if we were DVC.

3. I really really really dislike the reduced housekeeping aspect of DVC.

4. Will I still want to vacation at WDW every year 10 years from now?

We are just not ready now to take the plunge.

What I discovered in researching is that it seems to be better to go through resale, than buying from Disney directly, unless there is a really good bonus point offer. It also makes no sense to finance the points. If we don't want to part with the cash, then we don't need to buy.

Hi. I think the maintenance fee is what gets me. Depending on what resort I stay in, the cost for my room could equal JUST the maintenance fee at DVC. I would need a minimum of 500 points to do what I do now, so I'm just not ready for the investment.

I think DVC works best for people who can drive there in a couple hours, so the cost of transportation is not a major consideration. Short stays Sun-Thurs are pretty cheap in points, so you can do it a couple times a year.

I love Disney resorts and Disney theming, but I just don't think DVC is worth the money.

Years ago, before there were so many units, maybe so. Now, it's too easy to rent points from a member for far less than owning.

Or, as you mentioned, timeshare owners can exchange their units that are nice, but cost less/and or have far cheaper maintenance fees through RCI and obtain DVC units. If you aren't too picky about which week you get, this is a great way to enjoy DVC.

If you don't HAVE to be onsite, most offsite timeshare resorts have considerably larger units that are as nice or nicer, and you can usually buy them resale for far less than DVC, plus the maintenance fees are usually much less. When I first looked at the DVC model units I was turned off by them because they were so small! The great locations onsite are a trade off for the size if being onsite is top priority for you.

I think the economy is going to be dismal for the next few years and I think there will be plenty of deals at the resorts, and deals on renting DVC units from CRO., for quite a while.

In a similar vein, with the economy being bad, I would not lock myself into paying big money down on a DVC unit, and being obligated to those steep maintenance fees. If you feel you can't afford to vacation, you're saddled with those high expenses. I most certainly would never buy DVC if I didn't have cash for the purchase and had to finance it!

It pays for itself in HOW many years? If it doesn't pay for itself in ten years or less, I wouldn't want to tie up all that money and obligate myself to the expenses. I own three one bedroom timeshares, one in Orlando and two in Hawaii, for which I paid a little over $10,000 resale for all three. Maintenance fees used to be much cheaper, but have risen over the years to a combined total of bout $2,000.00. We've owned them since 1997 and they have long since paid for themselves in savings. I figured we've saved at least $10,000 over and above the purchase price. I don't think that kind of return/savings is possible with DVC, and as others have said, trading DVC for other Disney resorts on points, or trading through RCI to other destinations may not be a wise use of your ownership.

To conclude, DVC has a lot to offer, but I think there are better values elsewhere, and in these uncertain economic times, I would pass.

I'm a DVC owner, 3 contracts, 500 pts. We have faithfully gone to WDW for many years and have enjoyed all of our vacations.

With that being said, I would not buy DVC if I had to do it over again. It has nothing to do with the cost. The contracts were paid in cash and the maintenance fees are no big deal.

My husband and I are now in our mid 50's and our 3 sons are grown. When we bought the first contract, they were still loving going to WDW and we thought we'd end up with 3 contracts, one to give to each son at some point. Now not one of the 3 sons has any desire to vacation at WDW. Even having children of their own, they'd all rather go to the beach than WDW. Maybe it was too many trips there as children, I don't know.

1. In the past 5 years, it is increasingly difficult to get into Beach Club at 9 months, 7 months etc. I have a hard time planning anything at 11 months and it's bothersome to have to.

2. The points are not a good value to use outside of DVC. Because we have so many now with nobody wanting to use them, we have looked into RCI. Good luck with that. Plan 2 years out and be flexible. That doesn't work for me.

3. The DVC resorts are nice but because we don't cook or do laundry on vacation, it's not much different than staying at a hotel and when we go to WDW, we are not limited to DVC resorts because I can't justify a cash stay when I have so many points. I miss staying at the GF.

4. 50 years of vacationing at the same location is a long time.

We'd never vacation at Disney as often as we do if it wasn't for DVC. Tried the values out, and even though they're teriffic deals, they're not my cup of tea. Same with the mods.

..don't forget you can sell your DVC after a while. ;)

Chances are I could sell our points right now at the going resale rate and because of the better exchange rate to Cdn$ I would break even even with our maintenance fees we've paid for the past 5 years.
One of the lucky ones I suppose!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter