DVC Question

margaret07013

Mouseketeer
I have been checking out DVC and Purchasing DVC threads for last 2-3 months and trying to read about it as much as possible and I have a few questions. Maybe the answers are available somewhere so any links - greatly appreciated.

1) room types by DVC location - how many studios, 1 BR, 2 BR per each DVC location?

2) avg DVC contract sale by Disney? how many points on avg people buy?

3) some kind of availability chart between 11 and 7 months by most desirable DVC locations?

What I am trying to do is to gather some "facts" for deciding which way to consider into DVC purchase.

I understand 11 and 7 months difference for your home resort - but what I am concerned is that if in general more people buy smaller contracts ( just an example for the sake of conversation - 150 points will get me a studio at GFV or even smaller 100 points and bank them or borrow to get a week ) it is much harder to book studios in any resort simply because there is more people with smaller contracts.

so if I follow that logic - it would make sense to buy more points at cheaper value from not my favorite resort to book rooms that would require more points such as 1B or 2B at my favorite resort.

now - its not about the financial aspect as more to "whats available" during more desirable times of the year question. is it easier to "book" 1B or 2B than studio kind of question during the "prime time"?

I am concerned that a larger number of people getting contracts in the range of 150 points or less, with an average family being family of 4, more people will try to "book" studios than there are available to book. but at the same token its easier to book more expensive 1B or 2B any time.

Any feedback, any thoughts?

1) see post #3 here (and BTW, a "lockoff" is a 2BR that can be locked-off into a 1BR plus a studio) :

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823943

(it's a good idea to check the stickies at the top of the forum before posting.)

2) it depends completely on how many points you want to use. you can buy a resale contract for a few days in a studio for less than $3500 or you can pay tens of thousands for enough pts for several weeks in a grand villa.

there are point charts linked at the top of the web page - use those to ballpark how you'd like to vacation as a DVC member to see how many you'd need for your resort for your estimated dates.

3) drusba has a good post about general availability here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51506136#post51506136

if you own where you want to stay (or at least where you are happy to stay) and book at 11 months out, you will be happy with DVC.

some people report getting what they want at 7 months out all the time, some are frustrated at 7 months out most of the time. (i have been shut out a few times and gotten what i wanted a few times...but i'm happy at OKW even if my waitlist never comes through from an attempted booking at 7 months out.)

contract size is a non-issue. many people like studios and some large contract owners use them for multiple trips to studios. others try the 1BR+ and get hooked on all the extra space.

IMO: buy where you don't mind staying...book there early (10-11 months out) and DVC should be a great fit. and if you wait till 7 months out and can't find what you want, don't come back and complain...even people who have had success in the past may run into more trouble if a larger percentage of DVC owners start planning better and book their home resorts earlier.

edited to add: i do think 2BRs tend to book up roughly as quickly as studios at many resorts. i don't think "small contracts" have much to do with it overall, though.

I have been checking out DVC and Purchasing DVC threads for last 2-3 months and trying to read about it as much as possible and I have a few questions. Maybe the answers are available somewhere so any links - greatly appreciated.

1) room types by DVC location - how many studios, 1 BR, 2 BR per each DVC location?

Check out the DVC Resource Center at the top of each DVC discussion forum. There is a lot of information available right there including the number of villas at each DVC resort.

2) avg DVC contract sale by Disney? how many points on avg people buy?

For this you will need to review discussions on the "Purchasing DVC " forum. The number will vary depending on how each family plans to use their points. Many will start out with a minimal number and decide to add-on after getting a feel for how it will work for them.

3) some kind of availability chart between 11 and 7 months by most desirable DVC locations?

No, there is no chart. DVC members have online access to availability at their Home Resort 11 months ahead and 7 months at other DVC resorts. If you have hypothetical "likelyhood" questions, please ask on the "Member Services" forum.

What I am trying to do is to gather some "facts" for deciding which way to consider into DVC purchase.

I understand 11 and 7 months difference for your home resort - but what I am concerned is that if in general more people buy smaller contracts ( just an example for the sake of conversation - 150 points will get me a studio at GFV or even smaller 100 points and bank them or borrow to get a week ) it is much harder to book studios in any resort simply because there is more people with smaller contracts.

so if I follow that logic - it would make sense to buy more points at cheaper value from not my favorite resort to book rooms that would require more points such as 1B or 2B at my favorite resort.

now - its not about the financial aspect as more to "whats available" during more desirable times of the year question. is it easier to "book" 1B or 2B than studio kind of question during the "prime time"?

I am concerned that a larger number of people getting contracts in the range of 150 points or less, with an average family being family of 4, more people will try to "book" studios than there are available to book. but at the same token its easier to book more expensive 1B or 2B any time.

Any feedback, any thoughts?

There is a wealth of information available on the boards and many very knowledgeable members willing to share their DVC experiences. If you have specific questions ... just ask.

There is a lot to learn about the system and it is wise to learn as much as possible before making a purchase.

Enjoy the process. :)

I will take a stab at question three, even though it is a rather complicated question, but I think I get what you are looking at.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you are suggesting buying a bunch of points at say Saratoga Springs (the lowest maintenance fee resort) and by buying more points there you can then book a 1- or 2-bedroom BLT or BWV at the 7-month mark, because you won't be able to get a studio there, is that right?

So, I am new to DVC but have been trying to develop a survey of availability of studios and 1-bedroom resorts from the 7-month mark down to 1-month. There is no way for an individual unless he owns everywhere to do the same thing for the 11-month to 7-month window, as you only have access to where you own.

However, I've observed the following so far, which may relate to you:
- 1- bedrooms are slightly less popular for booking than studios. I think this is a because of the fact that they hold the same # of people with near double the amount of points. I haven't really looked into 2-bedrooms, since they are SOOO much more points than a studio.
-However, the popular loactions are mostly gone at the 7-month mark at the most popular locations. BCVs pretty much all GONE at 7-months out, though I haven't had a big window to watch yet.. Doesn't matter if it's studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, it's just plain popular.
-Most resorts don't book out right at the 11-month mark, but depending on the time of year they CAN run out between 11-months and 7-months.

I think you're thinking is flawed, because if you were to buy enough points at SSR to rent a 2-bedroom at BLT when all you need is a studio, the amount you would spend on maintenance fees would more than eat up any "savings" you have in the point purchase. And while it may work some of the time, it really wouldn't work enough of the time to be a benefit. Popular times are popular across all room sizes.

To me, you'd be much better off buying smaller contracts where you want to stay and banking and borrowing points, then booking as close to the 11-month mark as you can.

You are correct about my "dilemma" and concerns around availability. also its easier to plan 11 or 12 months ahead "now" with 2 small kids - but it may become much more difficult once they start getting older and school schedule becomes a factor.

Thanks for all the links and I guess its back to the square one.

I will take a stab at question three, even though it is a rather complicated question, but I think I get what you are looking at.

To me, you'd be much better off buying smaller contracts where you want to stay and banking and borrowing points, then booking as close to the 11-month mark as you can.

It's all demand and supply. You can make a best guess of what others may want to book and you can guess if Disney is going to come up with more food & wine type events that will dramatically change room booking patterns.

The only way to guarantee your resort, room size and category is to book at 11 months. If those things aren't important to you then buy SSR, book there at 11 months and take a chance at 7 months booking at another resort.

Sometimes you may be successful and sometimes you won't.

:earsboy: Bill

You are correct about my "dilemma" and concerns around availability. also its easier to plan 11 or 12 months ahead "now" with 2 small kids - but it may become much more difficult once they start getting older and school schedule becomes a factor.

Thanks for all the links and I guess its back to the square one.

While you are more flexible before kids go to school, it's not hard to plan at the 11 month window once they are in school, in most locations (exceptions would be kids in sporting activities and things that come up more last minute like state finals and things). The schools everywhere I have lived put out their annual calendars a year or more in advance and they don't usually change except for things like unanticipated snow days. So we haven't had an issue booking at 11 months.

What does change is the flexibility of WHEN you will be able to go. For us, between my kids school schedule (they are in middle and high school) and my husband's retail work schedule, and our unwillingness to visit Florida in the summer, we are effectively locked into a very small window of time when we can visit WDW. If you're willing to pull them out of school when they're younger, you can postpone that problem for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter