• Also HGVC - Hilton Grand Vacation Club

• Also Marriott Vacation Club

• Also RCI Points

• Also Worldmark

• DVC + another timeshare, or a variety of the above

• Don’t own DVC, or any timeshare at this time

• Don't own DVC, but do own another timeshare

Results are only viewable after voting.
DVC only! The resorts are close to us, 2 1/2 hours away, I don't do COncierge or anything else. I bought it just to fill in for school holidays, a few long week-ends during the year, and a week in June right after school lets out. We vacation elsewhere but I don't want to be tied down to another type of timeshare. I don't want to pay maintenance, dues or have to vacation on particular time frame. We vacation with friends in TN & ME and rent vacation homes, I have family in France and England and stay with them when I do jaunts to Europe, I'm good just with DVC!

Great links, thanks. What's even better is that I'm reading on TUG that many Worldmark point owners are thrilled that they can take their relatively cheap Worldmark points that can be deposited either RCI & II and traded for places like Marriotts. It may be good to buy just for the trade value alone perhaps?
From what I've read, NO timeshare really gets full value with any kind of exchange...although that's one of those oft-repeated cliches to which there will be exceptions. I've seen posts by lots of folks who've been thrilled with the value they got (including DVC, Worldmark, Wyndham, and Bluegreen).

With Worldmark, I think there are two advantages. One, they are very strong in the western US. Anywhere else, not so much. <struggles to remember the last time he actually contemplated a vacation to Galena, IL> .And two, their annual maintenance fees tend to be quite low.

However, with either Wyndham or Worldmark, be very leery of all those pretty dots on the map. The red dots are the resorts you might actually be able to book. The other dots are "affiliate" resorts and those dots are there to make the system look bigger and more accessible than it really is. The reality is, you have very little chance of getting a reservation at one of those different-colored dots.

With Worldmark, that means you are pretty much limited to the western US and a few places in Hawaii.

You mentioned booking timeshares for conferences. Frankly, as one who has done a lot of conferences, I seriously doubt I'd book any timeshare for that use. First of all, unless your attendance is scheduled a year or more ahead of time (not my experience), you would have great difficulty booking. And then, there's the question of destination -- you'd probably have great options in San Diego with Worldmark (as does Wyndham and surely other systems) and none anywhere in Ireland.

From what I've read, NO timeshare really gets full value with any kind of exchange...although that's one of those oft-repeated cliches to which there will be exceptions. I've seen posts by lots of folks who've been thrilled with the value they got (including DVC, Worldmark, Wyndham, and Bluegreen).

With Worldmark, I think there are two advantages. One, they are very strong in the western US. Anywhere else, not so much. <struggles to remember the last time he actually contemplated a vacation to Galena, IL> .And two, their annual maintenance fees tend to be quite low.

However, with either Wyndham or Worldmark, be very leery of all those pretty dots on the map. The red dots are the resorts you might actually be able to book. The other dots are "affiliate" resorts and those dots are there to make the system look bigger and more accessible than it really is. The reality is, you have very little chance of getting a reservation at one of those different-colored dots.

With Worldmark, that means you are pretty much limited to the western US and a few places in Hawaii.

You mentioned booking timeshares for conferences. Frankly, as one who has done a lot of conferences, I seriously doubt I'd book any timeshare for that use. First of all, unless your attendance is scheduled a year or more ahead of time (not my experience), you would have great difficulty booking. And then, there's the question of destination -- you'd probably have great options in San Diego with Worldmark (as does Wyndham and surely other systems) and none anywhere in Ireland.
I think the value of timeshares is learning the system and using it to your advantage. That's esp true with exchanging. I could never have taken the trips I've taken had it not been for timeshares. I find that DVC is my least value compared to costs and return though we do enjoy it as well.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We are excited that we added on some other vacation clubs that will allow some other options. To keep us busy traveling seeing new places, we added on Worldmark points that has good reviews, and has many nice places to stay on west coast, and also Hilton Club NYC, with points that can be used for any Hilton affiliated hotel or resort too (Conrad, Embassy Suites, etc). Got enough points for 2BR for 2 weeks NYC (but half will be used for other Hilton locations internationally that could spread the time to about 4 weeks), and points enough for 2BR for 1 week west coast destinations using Worldmark, perhaps Vancouver visit first. Of course, bought resale - never buy new, never buy direct from developer, never ever finance.

Renting 2BRs or 3BRs at WDW, DL, and major cities can be SO EXPENSIVE, and almost impossible to find availability, and being part of a vacation plan does make so much sense if need space for larger family. We used to rent condos, but would end up with futon hard beds, poorly equiped places, always something weird when renting from private owner, so don't really like doing that anymore.

But IMHO if only need studios when vacationing, DO NOT thnk it ever makes any financial sense to pay for vacation plans or timeshares for only studio use. You can almost always find better prices for rentals of timeshare studios on eBay, VBRO, Redweek, etc, or just book regular hotel room. I've noticed the rentals for timeshare or vacation club studios usually don't even cover the MF's, so think very bad financial decision if your travel plans are for studios only. Also, regular reservations via hotel are so much more flexible, as opposed to Vacation Plans that require that you plan WAY ahead, and must also buy trip cancellation insurance as difficult to cancel. Most hotels just require 24-48 hours of cancellation notice, some even less.

But if need the extra space, need a kitchen perhaps, and have a big family and are able to plan WAY ahead, think vacation clubs do make perfect sense but only if reputable company is managing, and only if it provides flexibility (able to rent for enough to cover MF, easy to resell at least for a penny, and easy to exchange via RCI or II, or SFX), and ONLY IF PAY CASH, not finance. I found little negatives about HGVC, Hilton City Club, DVC or Worldmark. Most everyone has been thrilled with these vacation plans, all of which use the flexible point system. After staying in a 2BR at Villas Grand Californian, don't think can go back to regular studio hotel rooms again, except for 1 night stays when on the road of course. I just keep thinking of those little full beds over at Best Western or HoJo across the street from DL that we crammed ourselves into (our family of 6), several sleeping on floor between the full beds, then about our "house" we got at Grand Californian last Decmber. There's simply no comparison. It just makes all the difference adding some quality to your valuable and limited vacation time.

DVC only here. I need more DVC points before doing anything else. I just need 25-35 more to be where i need to be.

Although, grandma is really the one who most wants to keep going back to Disney, we let her be the driving force she is by nature. Not quite sure where my 12 year old stands these days. I'm thining he has been there so much as child that he thinks it is only for little kids. We need to convince him otherwise. I'll leave that to grandma.

For us it will soon just be DVC SSR points, Wyndham points, and one every other year 2 bedroom 4th of July week in the NC mountains. We're giving our Marriott away as we don't need it anymore.

Bought 160 points at BLT last October. First visit coming in May (2 BR LV unit). Like the fact that we can come at any time of the year and stay in different DVC properties.

Also own two fixed weeks at Divi in Aruba. We love it! See the same friends each year, and stay in the same unit each year (right at poolside, and just steps from the beach). Wouldn't think of selling. It really IS just like coming home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter