DVC Perks on DCL

barrymommy

Earning My Ears
We are taking our first Disney Cruise in May and I would like to rent a cabana on Castaway Cay. It appears that by the time I am able to book one, they will all be sold out to Castaway Club members that are able to book sooner. Anyone know if being a DVC member gives me any ability to book earlier? Or are they any other perks on the ship that DVC members receive?

We are taking our first Disney Cruise in May and I would like to rent a cabana on Castaway Cay. It appears that by the time I am able to book one, they will all be sold out to Castaway Club members that are able to book sooner. Anyone know if being a DVC member gives me any ability to book earlier? Or are they any other perks on the ship that DVC members receive?

DVC membership won't get you any advance on booking times. You get a magnet on your stateroom door that shows you're a DVC member and some DVC gifts (we got DVC member lanyards and a nice wooden gift box). There is a DVC members meeting/reception/add-on pitch on embarkation day (before the muster drill and Sail-Away Party) with free champagne and sparkling apple cider, free DVC swag (DVC Member baseball caps, DVC member lanyards and a DVC shopping bag) and some other DVC prizes. The grand prize for the 3-day Dream cruise we were on was a $200 OBC. I don't know if that changes depending on the length of the cruise.

We had similiar swag as well. We were on a 5 day, and they held a DVC pitch every day (the first was members only) and the OBC's were different every day. They also had other DVC merchandise prizes. You could go to as many or few as you liked. But no way to get a jump on those cabanas. You can always wait list one once you get on board and perhaps one will cancel.

Yep as mentioned, you get some DVC merchandise. Our last one, we got the wooden box, lanyards, bags, hats, and a passport holder -- and of course the magnets. We often go to the members meeting onboard.

As others have said, you'll get a door magnet and maybe someother stuff, but that's about it.

How do they know we are DVC members if we pay cash? Do we have to tell them when we check in?

How do they know we are DVC members if we pay cash? Do we have to tell them when we check in?

I was going to mention this too and no they don't always know. My first 2 cruises they knew. But my last cruise they had no record of me being a dVC member. I was traveling with my DD in a separate cabin and they knew she was. I knew right away when I did not get an invite to the members' meeting nor did I get magnets. I went to the DVC podium and told them that I didn't get anything and they checked their list and said my cabin didn't show I was a member. They said they would fix it, but they never did. I went back and they gave me the magnets and when they did a surprise give away one afternoon (they call your cabin and tell you to stop by and pick up your surprise) I would not have known about it had my DD not gotten the call. I still went to the meeting w/o the invite. It bugged me that even after telling them they missed me, they didn't fix it. We are doing another cruise in April so we'll see if they have me listed as a DVC member this time.

It appears that by the time I am able to book one, they will all be sold out to Castaway Club members that are able to book sooner.

Don't give up hope. For any "resource" that is made available to castaway club members first, they hold back some so that other people have a chance. They may even hold back some to be available on the day of sailing.

Disney is like "Big Brother"...

They just know...

:worship::worship::worship:
Lol. Not only do they know, odds are good they'll call you ahead of time and tell you they're looking forward to seeing you on the ship. :thumbsup2 Always looking for opportunities to sell you more points direct ...

The OBC that was up for grabs on our 5 night cruise was $500, and they gave one away every other day. We only went to the first meeting since it was the only time we didn't have other plans. Entertaining.

I was going to mention this too and no they don't always know. My first 2 cruises they knew. But my last cruise they had no record of me being a dVC member. I was traveling with my DD in a separate cabin and they knew she was. I knew right away when I did not get an invite to the members' meeting nor did I get magnets. I went to the DVC podium and told them that I didn't get anything and they checked their list and said my cabin didn't show I was a member. They said they would fix it, but they never did. I went back and they gave me the magnets and when they did a surprise give away one afternoon (they call your cabin and tell you to stop by and pick up your surprise) I would not have known about it had my DD not gotten the call. I still went to the meeting w/o the invite. It bugged me that even after telling them they missed me, they didn't fix it. We are doing another cruise in April so we'll see if they have me listed as a DVC member this time.

Just wanted to second what you posted above. They really think they know, but in our case they never do, and on our last one the same thing happened to us. They never fixed it and I sent a email to DVC about it. Since we joined in 2008 we have taken 5 cruises now, all paid for with cash, and not once have they known we were DVC and 2 of those cruises were back to back.

Our last cruise in '06 they did not know, but the one in '11 they did. It is a pretty box - I use it daily to store little things like stamps I don't want to loose track of!

I alo got a Sorcerer Mickey music box for attending the DVC gatherings and telling them about our stay at AKV Club level (which was right before the cruise).

I've been on three Disney cruises and none of them had us listed as DVC members. Even the one we used points on. All you need to do is stop by the DVC booth and let them know. They will add you to the list. We won the $200 OBC on our last cruise, so you never know.

Great info. Thanks. We go on our first cruise in Oct. I will make sure they know we are coming ahead of time. lol

We booked a cabana late with no problem on our last cruise, in fact there were many empty ones while we were there. They are very expensive so maybe not many people are interested.

We have been on 9 cruises all paying cash. It has been about 50/50 regarding whether or not they know we are DVC. When they do not know and I stop at tell them at the DVC desk, it is RARE that we get either the magnet or the gift. I even showed them my Member card!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter