Duffy has the Pixie Dust! July 2012 TR (9/5 Update)

Looks like you guys had a great location! Dinner looks yummy, too :thumbsup2

I am not a good Disney napper either - DH has to say "put AWAY the laptop and lie down!" :rotfl:

Can't wait for some EMH pics - they are always great!

Sanaa is worth going to just for the bread! YUM

I love your dress you wore for dinner.

Glad your room was a good one. :thumbsup2 Overlooking the lobby and the pool? Very nice!

You know I love any post with both AKL AND zebra dome pictures!!! :thumbsup2

Sanaa looks like a lovely restaurant! Those cranes are very funny looking!

Excited to see what EMH fun you had.

Sanaa was delicious... you forgot to mention the giraffe in the background. hehe

Looks like you guys had a great location! Dinner looks yummy, too :thumbsup2

I am not a good Disney napper either - DH has to say "put AWAY the laptop and lie down!" :rotfl:

Can't wait for some EMH pics - they are always great!

I didn't bring the laptop with me. Now, that I think about it, I didn't miss it either! I am not engrossed in the book I am reading, so I didn't even use my Nook like usual...

Sanaa is worth going to just for the bread! YUM

I love your dress you wore for dinner.

Glad your room was a good one. :thumbsup2 Overlooking the lobby and the pool? Very nice!

Thank you! I am not a dress gal (as much as I want to be...) but I brought it, so I figured dinner was a good time to wear it.

I wore a dress on the plane and to AK. (Just a simple T-shirt dress that works wonderfully for running errands or over my bathing suit.) I noticed in AK that my legs rubbed together and I then understand all of the threads on chaffing. My legs aren't large (I carry any extra weight in the middle), so I was amazed.

Later in the trip, I noted to dh, I didn't understand how all of the females wore those super short shorts. He pointed out a teenager who had bandages on her inner thighs...poor thing!

what a great start!!!!

Thank you! Welcome!

One of the goals for this trip was to track dining costs. As much as dh would appreciate that in order to stick to some type of budget, I only did it to compare Disney dining plan to out of pocket costs.

The girls are now Disney adults, a.k.a. 10 years old. So, if we were to choose the dining plan, it would have cost us 53.54 per person = $214.16 per day.

This would give us 1 counter, 1 table, and 1 snack a day.

My goal was not to purchase those per person. I just wanted us to order what we wanted.

Two elements at play also. First, we did not eat at any buffets. (I couldn't justify the adult price for the small portions that my girls eat. I have a hard time getting my money's worth.) Second, we bought the Tables in Wonderland card. ($75.00.)

July 8 - food expenses

Reminders: we only order what we want- we share with the idea that if anyone is still hungry, we can order more.

When TIW card was used, the tip is included in the total.

24.04 lunch Yak and Yeti Local Food Cafe at AK (two counter)
6.50 two pineapple bars
3.93 zebra domes
54.77 (75.00 before TIW) Sanaa (one app- one adult entree- two kids meals)
11.05 three ice creams at MK
3.72 dole whip at MK
7.41 choc caramel corn at MK

Total for the day $111.42

Savings for us over DDP - $102.74 (Look at all that junk! :rolleyes1)

Awesome trip report so far!! I followed you over from your post on the budget board. We do the QS dining plan as we are two adults and two children. We often share meals, even on the dining plan. The boys are 'grazers' and don't eat much most of the time, so we always share. That way, whenever they are hungry, we can get something to share.

I just wish they divided the child and adult credits on the QS dining plan, as by day 4 or so I am completely baffled as to how many child and how many adult credits we have used. We also try to skip dessert and get soup, fruit or something similar in place of dessert.

Looking forward to more!!

I don't have pool shots of this day, but we did enjoy these!

i-S7Sz9Vc-M.jpg

Well, at least you knew what was important!!! :)

Regardless of the food, the girls were thrilled by the African crown cranes - Rubin and Jamal
i-dVCgR5b-L.jpg

The view was amazing!

i-fp98tvt-L.jpg

Very, very cool!!!

I have never seen the inside this close. It's great!

P.S. I got the park maps. Thank you so much!

Subbing! We find that now that the kids are "adults" the DDP is no bargain for us. Last August, we had most of our sit down meals at lunch. It was cheaper than dinner and gave us a much needed extended break from the August heat. It also made our evenings more flexible.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Awesome trip report so far!! I followed you over from your post on the budget board. We do the QS dining plan as we are two adults and two children. We often share meals, even on the dining plan. The boys are 'grazers' and don't eat much most of the time, so we always share. That way, whenever they are hungry, we can get something to share.

I just wish they divided the child and adult credits on the QS dining plan, as by day 4 or so I am completely baffled as to how many child and how many adult credits we have used. We also try to skip dessert and get soup, fruit or something similar in place of dessert.

Looking forward to more!!

Welcome!!! My girls are grazers too. While on the dining plan in the past, it was always my experience that there isn't a difference on the counter service credits. Therefore, I've always just ordered whatever they wanted. If it was adult, I'd get adult. This wasn't to get anything over on Disney. They simply don't count them differently so I didn't track it.

Dessert after every meal is tough--even for someone with a sweet tooth like me!

Well, at least you knew what was important!!! :)

Very, very cool!!!

I have never seen the inside this close. It's great!

P.S. I got the park maps. Thank you so much!

I'm glad they arrived! I can't wait to see the party pics. (and it's okay if the maps don't make their way into the party...:)

You'll have to try Sanaa. Very Delicious and the girls would love Rubin and Jamal.

Joining! We were at Animal Kingdom on the same day (7/8) :D

Very cool! I'll have to sub to your trip report. I wonder if we crossed paths at all throughout vacation...when did you leave? where'd you stay...okay, I just need to hop over and read. :thumbsup2

Subbing! We find that now that the kids are "adults" the DDP is no bargain for us. Last August, we had most of our sit down meals at lunch. It was cheaper than dinner and gave us a much needed extended break from the August heat. It also made our evenings more flexible.

Can't wait for the next installment.

I think that having the flexibilty in the evenings is wonderful. With the dining plan, you feel like you have to eat at a table service every night or lose your savings. Paying oop, I could call and cancel our reservations to change to something else!

I promise that I didn't go without my camera too many days or nights of the trip, but on the first day, I wasn't ready to commit!

I have failed to mention that I didn't carry a bag with the exception of one day. This was the best decision. EVER.

So we arrived at the park. (I didn't note the time...and darn facebook only tells me the date.)

My family went for ice cream while I watched a bit of Wishes. I tried texting dh to tell him to stay put--they went to Auntie Gravity's. (The line to the Plaza Ice Cream Palor was around the corner!!) I knew once Wishes ended, my family would be swimming upstream. Unfortunately, I headed to tomorrowland, and he didn't get the text. So, I came back (swimming in the rain against people) to meet them. As a family, we headed back again against some of the crowd...

Space Mountain had an 85 min posted time, so we kept going. Tomorrowland speedway 20 posted maybe 15 actual.

i-XJC5mRx-S.jpg

We headed over to the new Storybrook Circus and went through the Dumbo tent. The girls liked the idea of the playground but felt theme too young so they didn't play.

I promise to post better pictures of Dumbo later!

i-5wqsP96-M.jpg

i-ssdKwKG-M.jpg

i-8QTGjbG-L.jpg

We went through the Barnstormer queue and I thought dh and I would cross over; it's such a little car... Dh said he was going...haha. I joined.

The girls ran through the water play area. We had intended to come back to this. Even at ten, they enjoyed it. I didn't want them soaked though.

We rode
Peter pan 20 posted maybe 10 min actual.
HM walk on
Splash mountain 10- 12 total to ride.
i-64d8FK6-M.jpg

Big thunder 10 min posted...less-
bought dole whips
rode Pirates
Space 30 min. my girls love the modern kitchen set:
i-qrkGsVw-L.jpg

At that point it was close to 2 AM.

i-RFhmxfc-L.jpg

We stopped at the Confectionary where the girls bought caramel chocolate popcorn. (2 AM snack- I am the fun mom in Disney!)

So it seemed to be a great night. We were all tired and we boarded the bus at 1:56. Apparently, we weren't the only tired people....

My family was standing towards the front of the bus. I felt the bus swerve. Nah. I'm tired. Then, it happened again. I asked dh, "Did we just swerve?" Yep, sure did!

Holy crow. The bus driver pulled over for a couple of minutes. No explanation. Later dh told me he thinks that the bus driver forgot to lift the bus before we pulled away. (You know how the hydraulics lower for us to load?)

Next, the bus driver crossed several lanes since he almost missed the exit. By this point, I made my kids sit on the floor.

We made it to AKL property. The bus driver blew a stop sign. At Kidani (2:15 am), I told dh, we are getting off and walking. So we did.

When we arrived at Jambo, I sent the girls and dh up and I went to the desk. The CM said he couldn't call tonight, but for me to call in the morning.:crazy2: I was pretty adament that he figure out someone to call. The bus driver must have been falling asleep and he is endangering lives. :sad:(And I see the bus driver walking into the lobby to the rest room.)

Finally, the CM calls the MK dispatch office, and I gave her the bus number. I explained the scary experience, and that he was currently in AKL.

Then by 2:36, I was in bed. safely. pixiedust:

I have to tell everyone. DH and I love the bus service. It isn't always timely; we do sometimes find ourselves waiting. However, it's free and it gets us safely to the parks without us worrying about driving. This one experience won't change that but WOW what an experience!

Next update- I promise better photos and lots of them!

Wow!! Scary experience for sure!! I agree, the bus system is very convenient. There have not been very many times I have had to wait over 15 minutes. The longest wait ever was at the Poly, to try to get to DTD.

What a wonderful first night at the MK! Love your Splash photo!!

Good idea not to worry about the credits. I think we are usually pretty even steven. :goodvibes:

Looking forward to more!

Subbing...Im in need of a good Disney Trip report!! Yours is looking great:thumbsup2 and I cant wait to read more :goodvibes

July 8 - food expenses

Reminders: we only order what we want- we share with the idea that if anyone is still hungry, we can order more.

When TIW card was used, the tip is included in the total.

24.04 lunch Yak and Yeti Local Food Cafe at AK (two counter)
6.50 two pineapple bars
3.93 zebra domes
54.77 (75.00 before TIW) Sanaa (one app- one adult entree- two kids meals)
11.05 three ice creams at MK
3.72 dole whip at MK
7.41 choc caramel corn at MK

Total for the day $111.42

Savings for us over DDP - $102.74 (Look at all that junk! :rolleyes1)

Thank you so much for posting that. Even if you add in the cost of the TIW card you are totally still ahead after just one day! :thumbsup2

At that point it was close to 2 AM.

Holy cow that is a late hour!! I don't think the park was open once that late on our last trip. Wait, I take it back... there was one EMH.

So it seemed to be a great night. We were all tired and we boarded the bus at 1:56. Apparently, we weren't the only tired people....

My family was standing towards the front of the bus. I felt the bus swerve. Nah. I'm tired. Then, it happened again. I asked dh, "Did we just swerve?" Yep, sure did!

Holy crow. The bus driver pulled over for a couple of minutes. No explanation. Later dh told me he thinks that the bus driver forgot to lift the bus before we pulled away. (You know how the hydraulics lower for us to load?)

Next, the bus driver crossed several lanes since he almost missed the exit. By this point, I made my kids sit on the floor.

We made it to AKL property. The bus driver blew a stop sign. At Kidani (2:15 am), I told dh, we are getting off and walking. So we did.

When we arrived at Jambo, I sent the girls and dh up and I went to the desk. The CM said he couldn't call tonight, but for me to call in the morning.:crazy2: I was pretty adament that he figure out someone to call. The bus driver must have been falling asleep and he is endangering lives. :sad:(And I see the bus driver walking into the lobby to the rest room.)

Finally, the CM calls the MK dispatch office, and I gave her the bus number. I explained the scary experience, and that he was currently in AKL.

Then by 2:36, I was in bed. safely. pixiedust:

I have to tell everyone. DH and I love the bus service. It isn't always timely; we do sometimes find ourselves waiting. However, it's free and it gets us safely to the parks without us worrying about driving. This one experience won't change that but WOW what an experience!

Next update- I promise better photos and lots of them!

I am glad your night went well, but OMG! That is quite the experience. I hope the bus driver was ok.. that seems so weird to drive like that. I too like using Disney transportation...and while I wouldn't stop if I had an experience like that I would certainly be shaken.

After a late night, we headed to bus stop around 9:15ish. And what do my cherubs do at the bus stop after an exhausting first day? Do they sit sleepily on a bench? No, of course not.

We pose in between handstands...

i-2qFfhVh-M.jpg

i-Kj2pJRs-M.jpg

And I am that mom reminding my kids to move out of the way when other families arrive.

We arrived at EPCOT around 10.

i-sVTpHJT-L.jpg

i-qXsdp7m-M.jpg

We picked up a Soarin fp (It was from 1:10 to 2:10) waited for 1:30 to 2:30 to not conflict with our Behind the Seeds tour. However, we learned that it would conflict, so we changed our tour to 12:45.

We did Nemo and Friends, which we hadn't visited in a couple of trips. (I don't often use a flash, and I never use it on rides.)

i-nS4jVsB-L.jpg

i-VcXdvwx-L.jpg

i-J76s74x-L.jpg

i-2v4T8Bs-L.jpg

i-DfdJmX9-L.jpg

We toured the aquarium some:

i-jmgPRNP-L.jpg

i-GCm9d9m-L.jpg

i-9QN4QLt-L.jpg

You'd think I'd take animal pictures - haha...ONE coming up.

We watched the dolphin training.

i-53X5kMn-L.jpg

We headed to Club Cool for some refreshing drinks and yes, we toured with some Brazilians...
i-67vMsTM-L.jpg
(no worries, we stopped back a couple more times, so I have more shots.)

Lovely day as we headed to Mexico for lunch

i-DJjjwrV-L.jpg

i-4zfbJjb-L.jpg

Not very crowded...

I had no idea that this little guy would soon be a big part of our trip...

i-dBWp6cL-L.jpg

Lunch consisted of churros for my girls and Empanadas de Queso for dh and I to share. We all drank water...

i-4NKZ8fD-L.jpg

We visited the three caballeros (tell me you're not singing the song...)
i-q83fR36-L.jpg

i-z8cR9Zc-L.jpg

i-rHBS2Cw-L.jpg

i-5RPBnDB-L.jpg
Looks like Coronado...

i-mN2Zxzg-L.jpg
It's a small world???

i-FcJpTLZ-L.jpg

i-WqDNFk7-L.jpg

I didn't remember this ride from before. I felt disappointed. I would have loved to do a little more than site see...

We had a little more time to spare, so we headed to Karamel Kuche. This cost us more than lunch...

girls- big messy apple
i-kpx8Wxc-L.jpg

me - rich square
i-6ZXJPPt-L.jpg

dh- cookie
i-FGJGCz7-L.jpg

We headed back to Future World for our tour...

Wow!! Scary experience for sure!! I agree, the bus system is very convenient. There have not been very many times I have had to wait over 15 minutes. The longest wait ever was at the Poly, to try to get to DTD.

What a wonderful first night at the MK! Love your Splash photo!!

Good idea not to worry about the credits. I think we are usually pretty even steven. :goodvibes:

Looking forward to more!

We always have a long DTD trip...every single time.

Subbing...Im in need of a good Disney Trip report!! Yours is looking great:thumbsup2 and I cant wait to read more :goodvibes

Thank you! Welcome along!

Thank you so much for posting that. Even if you add in the cost of the TIW card you are totally still ahead after just one day! :thumbsup2

I made a mistake. The card was $75.00. Our savings that day was $10.31. (By the end of the trip, the card did pay for itself.)

Holy cow that is a late hour!! I don't think the park was open once that late on our last trip. Wait, I take it back... there was one EMH.

2:00 AM is the new closing. MK used to run three hours later and close at 3AM. I am glad we did that on one trip. :love:

I am glad your night went well, but OMG! That is quite the experience. I hope the bus driver was ok.. that seems so weird to drive like that. I too like using Disney transportation...and while I wouldn't stop if I had an experience like that I would certainly be shaken.

I think he was falling asleep at the wheel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter