Driving from S. Ont to WDW

Has anyone driven the 79 77 route recently? Heading down early Saturday, just wondering if construction is an issue. Checking on Google maps it shows construction areas in at least 4-5 locations down that route. I know in March construction was no great issue.

Has anyone driven the 79 77 route recently? Heading down early Saturday, just wondering if construction is an issue. Checking on Google maps it shows construction areas in at least 4-5 locations down that route. I know in March construction was no great issue.

Sorry can't help you, but thanks so much for your previous post.
We are leaving from Hamilton in mid August. I think I will follow your directions and try to stick to that time line. We will leave Sat. morning, as soon as DH get in from work--hopefully by 7am. If we make it to Colombia SC by dark, I will be happy.
Haven't done the drive down since I was a teen (many moons ago), but DH has it in his head it is cheaper(we'll see) than flying out of Buffalo, so going to give it a go. At least there won't be snow to deal with.
Let me know how it goes when you get back, or while there if you like.
Hope you have a Magical Trip.pixiedust:

We are here now. Left at 3:30 am, no hold up at the border. Brief stop after 4 hrs for gas, washroom break and macdonalds breakfast to go. Went another 4 hrs, although slowed down a bit by 2 hrs of torrential rain through West Virginia, stopped near the North carolina border for a quick lunch and gas. We made it to our hotel in SC by 5:30. Hit the usual traffic approaching Charlotte which slowed us down by 20 min.

Left early again, on the road by 4:30 am. Smooth drive through the I26. (Which is still all under construction). Only one stop for gas and washroom break once we crossed into florida. The I4 is still all under construction, but being a Sunday morning, traffic was flowing well. I opted to take the 417 toll just past Sanford all the way to the 192 near Disneyworld. Glad I did because as we passed by the I4, it was all backed up westbound heading into Disneyworld, and this on a Sunday morning. We were at our condo by 11:30 am.

A few other construction zones, but not much happening on sat and sun. No accidents, phew, didn't see a police car until halfway through WV. Don't think we'll be as lucky traffic wise on the ride home though.

Yes, the interstate interchanges are very well marked. Using your GPS is good, as is a map if you know how to read one. We always get a Trip Tik from CAA as a backup to the GPS. This has the advantage of noting interchanges with very close gas, food and lodging.

Note that the times given on sites like Google Maps or CAA are driving time estimates only. Actual TRAVEL time is usually more, adding for things like border crossings, and stops for gas, food, or bathroom breaks. Not to mention your own average speed on the road.

If you were to leave around 4 am and stop at 7:00, I think you'd be somewhere between Charlotte NC and Columbia SC. There are plenty of chain hotels/motels just off the interstate in both places. But you would still have quite a long drive (7-8 hours) the next day. If you only want a 6 hour drive the next day you would have to get closer to Savannah on your first day.[/QUOT

Always get the trip tik, just a fun thing from childhood with GPS backup. We leave from Durham Region around 3 am and stop in Hardeeville SC for the night

We have driven many times (over 10) and while the drive is long (21-22 hours driving time) I would always recommend the I-75. We drive straight through and have varied our trip start times to best coincide with border crossings and major city traffic. The roads are better maintained, well marked, well lit and have many options for food, lodgings and mostly decent rest stations. There are also options to go around Cincinnati and Atlanta, although going straight through is quicker as long as you don't hit traffic. Along the I-75 is a great resource and a very interesting read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter