Driving from S. Ont to WDW

RevKjb

love the MBs
I have heard pros and cons to driving both I – 95 and I – 75. What are your opinions on the best route and highlights and low lights of either one or both?

Both are good routes we driven both. We drive from Belle River which is outside of Windsor, the amount time to drive is the same. I - 75 is great until you get to Georgia is a long state it is like driving through Ontario. On 95 you only go through a small portion of Georgia. Lots of mountains on 95 and 95 connects to 1a and you can drive along the ocean. We have even gone down 75 and turned off toward the Smokey mountains. It really depends on what States you would like see while you're driving. We usually go I 95 when we plan stopping in Virginia or South Carolina.

I have always done the third and a lot of people's favourite. 79 - US19 in WV - 77 - 26 - 95 - 4.

Gorgeous and relaxing. Not as much lane changing.

Personally, it feeds my soul. I love flying and it's still hard not to drive.

Can you tell me about driving on US Route 19? It gets a lot of criticism because of speed traps. What has been your experience?

Also, is your preferred route four lanes all the way, or are there portions through the mountains that are only three lanes?

Thanks so much!

Driving the US 19 is no big deal as long as you set your cruise control at or under the speed limit. They will pull you over for speeding even 1 mile over the limit. However, taking this route shaves off about 20 minutes and there are lots of places to stop for the night or a meal. It's a good option. We have driven through there many times and never had a problem.

Thanks. Is it just a two-lane road?
We haven't done this route since a number of years ago when we headed to Myrtle Beach, and all I can remember are winding roads and beautiful scenery.
Oh yeah, that and a mattress that came flying out at us from the car driving ahead of us!

Thanks. Is it just a two-lane road?
We haven't done this route since a number of years ago when we headed to Myrtle Beach, and all I can remember are winding roads and beautiful scenery.
Oh yeah, that and a mattress that came flying out at us from the car driving ahead of us!
It's a 4 lane(2 lanes per side). Most of the route is 4 lanes....in the major cities it become 6 lanes.

As Lisaviolet says this route is fast NP done it 7 times no issues at all,
79 - US19 in WV - 77 - 26 - 95 - 4

Just watch your speed on US 19. They will pull you over for not much over the limit.

79 - US19 in WV - 77 - 26 - 95 - 4 is the route we always take. Don't even need the GPS as I probably can do it from memory from doing it so often. We usually drive through the night so we are on the 19 during the night so less chance for cops.

Do you need gps for this route? We did the 75 last year(first time) it went well, but if we can cut the time by an hour or 2 wouldnt be bad. We drive straight and stop to eat and stretch, we were around the 25hr total mark last year. Did 75 since it was simple, but would be up for trying other routes. We start just north of TO so if anyone know time line for this route too. TIA

Do you need gps for this route? We did the 75 last year(first time) it went well, but if we can cut the time by an hour or 2 wouldnt be bad. We drive straight and stop to eat and stretch, we were around the 25hr total mark last year. Did 75 since it was simple, but would be up for trying other routes. We start just north of TO so if anyone know time line for this route too. TIA

I live in etobicoke (401 and 427). The route to disney is 2100kms for me. I plan on leaving at 8pm and getting to Port Orleans FQ by 3:00pm the next day. That is 19 hours, which includes a hour for breakfast and an hour for lunch. As for the needing a GPS, it all depends on how comfortable you are with a map. We used to do it with a map back in the day. It is not that many highway changes so you should be fine with some google maps. Just be carefully near the cities and exits.

that is alot shorter then, by about 5 hours, we are just up in aurora. That is about the time we leave at night, right after getting home from work, so I think we might try it next march. This route does go in the hills of Virginia though right? so snow an issue?

Snow is definitely an issue. We drove that route this past March, and hit the 19 section the morning after a storm that included snow AND ice. About half the length of 19 was reduced to one lane each way, which slowed us down a bit. But since you are travelling during the winter, you'll have your winter tires on anyway, so you'll be fine. Other than that section of the 19, the roads ( both coming and going for us) were kept well cleared of snow.

P S: on the drive down, we were well into South Carolina before we saw the last of the snow. Hopefully next winter will be milder.

Snow will definately make a difference in regards to time. If there are no storms you are good, but if there is a storm, it will slow you down. if you are going at the end of March there is a good chance that there will be no snow but you never know.

When I drive to the US I like using a GPS even if I know the route - I can use it to see my MPH and get an ETA for wherever I'm going. But that's me - I like having the extra data.

When I drive to the US I like using a GPS even if I know the route - I can use it to see my MPH and get an ETA for wherever I'm going. But that's me - I like having the extra data.
Me too. It is also good because it will highlight what is nearby if you need to stop for gas or food.

Sorry, dont want to hijack this thread, but it doesnt look like we will be finding any reasonable flights, and have never driven to WDW..we are just east of the GTA in Durham, and would like the fastest route. Mapquest is showing 79-19-77-26-95 as 2 hrs faster (20.5) than the alternative...we leave in 2 weeks and dont care to sight see, as all 4 kids get car sick, so we really just want to arrive asap..it seems as though the alternate route is easier, I think we will try the 2 hr faster route..are the interstate changes easy to navigate, just switching highways type of thing? If we leave around 4/5 am, and wish to go until 6/7pm, where about would that leave us, as Im not sure if we should plan to stop at a particular hotel, or just find one when we get tired? I want to make sure wherever we stop it will be a safe area, is that the case for both routes slightly off the highways? Hoping to have 6 or less hrs the second days drive..We have flown over 10 times, this is so foreign to me:(

..are the interstate changes easy to navigate, just switching highways type of thing? If we leave around 4/5 am, and wish to go until 6/7pm, where about would that leave us, as Im not sure if we should plan to stop at a particular hotel, or just find one when we get tired? I want to make sure wherever we stop it will be a safe area, is that the case for both routes slightly off the highways? Hoping to have 6 or less hrs the second days drive

Yes, the interstate interchanges are very well marked. Using your GPS is good, as is a map if you know how to read one. We always get a Trip Tik from CAA as a backup to the GPS. This has the advantage of noting interchanges with very close gas, food and lodging.

Note that the times given on sites like Google Maps or CAA are driving time estimates only. Actual TRAVEL time is usually more, adding for things like border crossings, and stops for gas, food, or bathroom breaks. Not to mention your own average speed on the road.

If you were to leave around 4 am and stop at 7:00, I think you'd be somewhere between Charlotte NC and Columbia SC. There are plenty of chain hotels/motels just off the interstate in both places. But you would still have quite a long drive (7-8 hours) the next day. If you only want a 6 hour drive the next day you would have to get closer to Savannah on your first day.

Sorry, dont want to hijack this thread, but it doesnt look like we will be finding any reasonable flights, and have never driven to WDW..we are just east of the GTA in Durham, and would like the fastest route. Mapquest is showing 79-19-77-26-95 as 2 hrs faster (20.5) than the alternative...we leave in 2 weeks and dont care to sight see, as all 4 kids get car sick, so we really just want to arrive asap..it seems as though the alternate route is easier, I think we will try the 2 hr faster route..are the interstate changes easy to navigate, just switching highways type of thing? If we leave around 4/5 am, and wish to go until 6/7pm, where about would that leave us, as Im not sure if we should plan to stop at a particular hotel, or just find one when we get tired? I want to make sure wherever we stop it will be a safe area, is that the case for both routes slightly off the highways? Hoping to have 6 or less hrs the second days drive..We have flown over 10 times, this is so foreign to me:(
We're near Hamilton, so about 45 min closer to the border than you, but we usually leave 4 am. With minimal breaks on day 1, we stop in Columbia South Carolina for an overnight, usually by 6 pm. Lots of hotels right off the highway, we've stated at the La Quinta the last two trips. This leaves day 2 drive less than 7 hours to the Disneyworld area. One tip, we skip the free breakfast (they still have coffee to go) and are on the road before 6 am. That stretch of the I26 has been in construction for a while now, and can slow you down if you leave during peak traffic hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter