Driving from Atlanta to Port Canaveral

vegasandcheerio

Earning My Ears
We are driving to the port from Atlanta, GA, for our first Disney cruise, sailing May 29. When I used mapblast for directions, they showed the shortest route being I75 south to 10 east, then 95 south. Has anyone gone this way? How long was the drive? I had planned on going thru Orlando... We are planning on leaving Fri morning, driving about 6 hours, then doing the rest Sat am.

Thanks for your time,

Christine

I have driven from Marietta and gone both routes. The I75/I10/I95 is the best. Going thru Orlando is longer and more traffic. We are leaving in the morning to spend the night in Port Canaveral then sail Saturday on the Magic.
Plan on about 8 hours driving time, depending on little ones restroom stops!

Haver fun !!!!!!!!!!

Christine, personally I would stick with coming straight down I-75 to the Florida turnpike then get off on SR-528 (commonly known as the Bee Line). I say this since that's how DW and I go. We live in Gainesville FL, right off I-75. I'm not sure about the way you're talking about. You have to know that if you take I-10, you will have to contend with Jacksonville traffic, which can be a problem. From what I understand, Atlanta traffic is a little rough itself. So, I don't know if that's a factor. Remember that by going the turnpike and the Bee Line, you will have to pay about $6.00 in tolls. I looked at my map of Florida and both ways look about the same in terms of distance. I believe you will save time by going the way I described. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.:wave:

I would say the drive using either direction is pretty comparable time wise. Using the I-95 route, you will not have the tolls to contend with, so it may be better overall.

There is a branch that goes around jacksonville, so you won't need to go through the downtown area (it is I-295 or something liek that).

Ditto what Dave from Marietta said. I have family in Cocoa Beach and we make the drive down from Knoxville often. I tend to prefer I75/I10/I95. Lots of tolls on the Bee Line from the turnpike to the port. Not only are they expensive, they slow you down! I HATE that.

I believe we will go the 75/10/95 route as I do hate to wait and like to save money- especially considering the price of gas!!!

Another question- if we leave Atlanta and try to go 6 hours averaging 70 mph with one stop, at what city should we be arriving? I'd like to scout out hotel prices...

Thanks for your assistance,

Christine

What time are you leaving? How late do you mind driving? That would make the difference for me.

There really aren't any good hotel cities between Valdosta and Jax. After Jax you have a number of choices at St. Augustine and Daytona Beach.

Christine, Our first cruise is in June and we plan to drive from Roswell area to just past Jax the night before. Probably leave home just after lunch. Then only have the trip to southside of Jax to Port in the morning.

If that's the same route you take, please post after your trip and let me know if it worked out well or if there was some unforeseen traffic or other obstacles.

Have a fun cruise!!

Although I don't have exact times:

It seemed to take about 5 hours to get to Atlanta from Tallahassee, so I would say (depending on ATL traffic) it should take you about 4.5 hours to get to I-10.

It takes about 1.5 hours to get to Jacksonville proper (a little less for the I-295 bypass) from the I-10 interchange (I think you merge into the left lane of I-10, too).

From JAX, I would guess it takes about 3 hours to get to Canaveral.

Someone can check my time.

To answer your question, you would be around Jacksonville at the 6 hour mark. I would suggest just heading straight to Cocoa and get a hotel there.

I live 45 minutes from Jaxsonville on I-95 in Brunswick Georgia and drive through Jaxsonville often. Do not.... go around the bypass (295). It will add about 45 minutes to an hour to your drive. I would suggest that you try and time it to be there before or after rush hour. Depending what part of Atlanta you are in you should be anywhere from Brunswick to Jacksonville in 6 hours. If it were me I would stay is the Brunswick area around exit 36, or the north side of Jacksonville around the airport area, if rush hour came in to play. Anytime past about 3 on Friday I would stop for sure. Saturday morning should be a breeze through there. Before 3 I would go on to the southside of Jacksonville.
From Brunswick I can be at the port in about 3 1/2 hours.
Have fun

I am newly motivated to be past Jacksonville by 3pm- Altanta traffic is always crazy on Fridays as well.

I will post a driving report when we get back.

Thanks for the help,

Christine

I just returned from a week long conference in Jacksonville. I found the Jacksonville traffic worse than Atlanta. The area I was in had a lot of road construction. Eventually Jacksonville will prbabaly be as good or better than Atlanta. Atlanta has a lot of traffic but it (normally) moves fairly well.

I too am trying to decide my return trip. I live just South of Atlanta. Since I am returning on Sunday, I will probably come through Jacksonville.

Bill

Hello FLGalInTN,
We to live in Knoxville and we are going on DCL next April. When I do mapquest, it directs me to go I40/26/95 not I75/10/95. It seems that you use 75/10/95. Is this quicker? How long does it take you to get to Port?

Thanks,
M&C
:earsboy: &:earsgirl:

Hyerpraise

I have taken both routes (75/10/95 and 40/26/95) and tend to use I-75 as opposed to I-40. I live in Farragut and am on the far west side of town. By taking the I-75 route I avoid not only the endless road construction through town (around the West Hills and Papermill Road exits in particular), but I don't have to do the fast lane tango with the big rigs over the mountains. The I-75 route usually works out a bit faster if you can manage avoiding rush hour in Atlanta and Jacksonville. With good weather, a cooperative child and few traffic slow downs, I can usually do Knoxville to Cocoa Beach in 11 to 11.5 hours. That includes stops for fast food and a few potty breaks.

HTH,

Cynthia

Has anybody been down 1-75 lately? Last August we hit so much construction that it added a couple of hours to the drive. YUK!! Nobody does construction better than the GA DOT. :p

Ginny

Hello FLGalInTN,
Thanks for the reply. We also live on the west side. Moved from GA last May so we are not used to having to travel so far.

Thanks, M&C

We too live on west side of Knoxville and take the I-75 route to Cape Canaveral. Usual trip is somewhere close to 11.5-12 hours.
FLGalInTN we are off Concord Rd. so not far from you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter