Dream Food Network Special Disappoints this Chef

I just thought it was amusing that they never mentioned up charges.

HAHA! I said that to my husband too. Also, the drinks Melissa's family received at Cookies those are upcharge drinks, they made it look like that was the "norm".

HAHA! I said that to my husband too. Also, the drinks Melissa's family received at Cookies those are upcharge drinks, they made it look like that was the "norm".

You mean that the chefs don't just swing by your picnic table with refreshing frozen beverages for your group on a whim??? That's it. I pay a lot for the Cruise. If I don't get that kind of treatment, I'm taking this right up the chain. I have a friend who has a cousin who was a roommate of the the girl who dated the ex-wife of the President of DCL. If that doesn't work, I will go straight to the CEO. That 2 Tu's for you!

Also, wouldn't Pirate night have been night 2? It seems like if it were the last night, no one would be able to pack their costumes and set their luggage out in time

It was always going to be a commercial for DCL without any specifics.
Even the RCI "doc's" are just a commercial for the line. I agree that on the Food Network it should have been food centric, but I doubt those that are not in the catering market would appreciate how the food is mass prepared! lol!

and now I've decided I need the alcohol and chocolate pairing thing :D :D

Chocolate and Liquor tasting

Just off the Fantasy this past week. We did the Chocolate and Liquor tasting and it was awesome. Learned a lot about pairing various drinks with chocolates and cheeses. Very educational.

Unadvertised was the Galley Tour that we also took. It wasn't in any of the books or anything. Our asst. server told us about it the first night. We asked about it at Concierge when we got back to that area and were able to secure two spots. I'll post more details once I get more settled. It was very good though. Sounded like they hit more details on that tour about food prep, number of chefs, etc. than they did in this hour long program. I didn't see it as we were on the ship during the showing. Oh, we got fresh cookies at the end of the tour. Awesomeness!!! :D

We had a blast watching it. We enjoyed it, we saw our server we had when we were on it in 2013, Andras! So cool!

Clearly we are in the minority. We also enjoyed the show. We saw CMs we knew, plus the we liked the spot with Chef Patrick, he's a hoot. While we also noticed the "inconsistencies" that PPs noted, they didn't bother us at all, we really had good fun watching it. Oh well to each their own. Can't wait until May when I can get my Colette Cocktail at Remy. :drinking:

[QUOTE="rawdata, post: 53347909, member: 540641Unadvertised was the Galley Tour that we also took. It wasn't in any of the books or anything. Our asst. server told us about it the first night. We asked about it at Concierge when we got back to that area and were able to secure two spots. I'll post more details once I get more settled. It was very good though. Sounded like they hit more details on that tour about food prep, number of chefs, etc. than they did in this hour long program. I didn't see it as we were on the ship during the showing. Oh, we got fresh cookies at the end of the tour. Awesomeness!!! :D[/QUOTE]

This is what I was looking for. Think I'll score a galley tour on my cruise this December?

Clearly we are in the minority. We also enjoyed the show. We saw CMs we knew, plus the we liked the spot with Chef Patrick, he's a hoot. While we also noticed the "inconsistencies" that PPs noted, they didn't bother us at all, we really had good fun watching it. Oh well to each their own. Can't wait until May when I can get my Colette Cocktail at Remy. :drinking:

Never said I didn't enjoy the show. However, it was not what was expected - honestly, it was being billed as a FOOD network show to showcase the food. But it was still okay - nice to see my son seeing another 6-year-old boy on the trip, and again, at least I learned about the chocolate/alcohol pairing thing. It just was disappointing that it didn't showcase what it was supposed to. It simply felt like another one of the Behind the Magic or Inside Disney Cruise Lines specials they do on the Travel Channel...which are fine, because you know what you're expecting on the Travel Channel. :)

I found it entertaining, but went in with low expectations LOL!

My favorite part was about Remy and how they plated with tweezers!

Disney surely wouldn't spend the money to do an empty sailing right? Which means they must have blocked the rest of the passengers from all the public areas (including huge chunks of CC) when they needed to film. Surprised no one posted about it.

CC is always that empty that time of day. Same for the stingrays.

Did you see the length of the peoples shadows? That was filmed EARLY in the morning! BEFORE any guests are off. The film crews were the first off the ship to go film the segments before the regular passengers even disembark. Also why the two groups had to do separate areas at once (SB/Stingray), to be done before CC opens.

Good plan as far as I am concerned. I would be miffed if I could not use a large portion of the property because of filming some show. :(

Also agree, it was promoted as how to feed 4000. All I saw was how to get personal meals prepared while on cruise. (Have a TV Show. Get Disney to use you as an advert.) I am sure the MDR soufflés are NOT prepared in a table top mixer!

Still fun to see the ship. Still looking forward to our next cruise. :)

Last edited:
lol i was curious what seasoned DCL cruisers would say about that. I thought it was very commercialized also. How full was that sailing? It looked like maybe 1/3 full?!

The cruise they were on was definitely a "special". The ship was deserted and the show itself was terrible. It seemed more like a self-promotion vehicle for the Food Network "chefs". A great deal didn't seem right throughout the whole show. Their dinner at Animator's Palate was empty. In a few of the shots, you could clearly see that there wasn't anyone else near them in the dining room. Did anyone else notice that there wasn't another soul near the "chefs" at Castaway Cay? Serenity Bay must have been closed.

Never said I didn't enjoy the show. However, it was not what was expected - honestly, it was being billed as a FOOD network show to showcase the food. But it was still okay - nice to see my son seeing another 6-year-old boy on the trip, and again, at least I learned about the chocolate/alcohol pairing thing. It just was disappointing that it didn't showcase what it was supposed to. It simply felt like another one of the Behind the Magic or Inside Disney Cruise Lines specials they do on the Travel Channel...which are fine, because you know what you're expecting on the Travel Channel. :)

IceQueen my sincere apologies for not including your quote, in my post, as one also in the minority who enjoyed the show & thought it was good fun. Again; Mia Culpa. :worship: :worship:

I went in expecting a DCL commercial and what I got was... exactly that.

Did people really expect that it would be a 'real life' simulation of the DCL experience? When any (non-reality style) shows film anywhere, they go to great lengths to filter out background people and distractions. Anyone you see in the backgrounds are purposely placed there and are acting out things that they think a normal person would be doing (looking at their watch, laughing in an animated manor, etc.)

Did we expect them to say, "After waiting in line for 20 minutes, I finally got my turn on the AquaDuck!"?
Did we expect them to try to shout over the early dining cacophony while trying to tell us that Animators Palate was amaaaaazing?
Did we expect them to say they had to step over kids having breakdowns to get to the Rapunzel M&G?
Did we expect to see them charging the smoothies to their rooms?
Did we not expect it to also be a commercial for the Food Network hosts or shows they are on? Why else would they do a show if they didn't hope that it would get you to watch more of their shows?

While they didn't specify where items had an upcharge, they also didn't indicate that they were free or included.

Aside from the "We can help you fix this" shows, any dish anyone tastes on Food Network is the best thing they have ever tried; especially when they are in someone else's establishment - I didn't expect anything different from this.

All that said, I did hope to see more of the logistics behind the food. I can't wait to hear about rawdata's experience on the galley tour. We are on the Fantasy in May and already had that on my list of things to check for once on board.

And the hosts were pretty annoying - but anything they said or did had to have been scrubbed through Disney Legal, so they probably did the best they could with what they were given to work with.

Last edited:
IceQueen my sincere apologies for not including your quote, in my post, as one also in the minority who enjoyed the show & thought it was good fun. Again; Mia Culpa. :worship: :worship:

You're fine...I probably wasn't very clear either :D Tends to happen when I post without having enough coffee :)

You're fine...I probably wasn't very clear either :D Tends to happen when I post without having enough coffee :)

No Sweat. Now DW & I just have to wait for the end of May to roll around, so we can board the Dream & have our pre cruise BBC with lunch & then enjoy a Collette Cocktail as the sunsets at Remy. :drinking:

We didn't get this show in Canada (although we have the Food Network and many of the same shows) and I know some of you had said I didn't miss anything.. but reading these posts I still would have loved to see it... Hope they put it up on youtube or something but nothing as of yet.

"We"? "We" are not on the Fantasy in May. Lucky you. :) I wish 'we' were going with you {sigh}.

"I" would have loved to see more food preps and at least buffet information and other over the counter food shots.

I'm not shocked Katy no longer hosts Top Chef. Wasn't there another chef on a DCL food show? Guy - what's his name? I thought I remembered that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter