Dream door damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it was probably an accident. Looking back at my teen years I can see my friends laughing about something like that while being freaked out. No, it wasn't the smartest thing to do but they are teenagers. I made a whole lot of dumb mistakes when I was a teen.

I fail to see the comparison of a Ships Captain testing out how a vessel at sea in a storm acts, is on the same level of kids messing with a door and breaking it. What happened to common sense of not messing with a large glass door. Yes they can slam. Happened to me. A door getting away from someone walking through it, isn't likely to shatter the whole door. WHY was it necessary for the kid to force it that far open? Again, dinkin around how he shouldn't have been.

I've already stated that it was a dumb thing to do, my point was there is NOTHING in the video to suggest that the intention was to break the glass.

But technically, they didn't do anything wrong, it's not like they climbed over railings and jumped down . They just OPENED a door against wind resistance.

And to my comparison with the Captain, DCL now knows how many knots per hour and wind veracity their doors can withstand.

The first time I watched it I thought that the boy did it to be funny, but after watching it again I really think that the wind caused this to happen. It looks like the bottom of the door came out first causing a twist in the door which made the glass break. I don't think that the kid pushed it or forced it. I think that they were just making a video on how hard the wind was blowing and the force on that door. :confused3

I just stumbled across this video. This is a video of what looks like a Dream door getting destroyed. Does anyone recall see this damage?

I would suggest removing your post, as the video you have linked AND the replies below the video both have profanity that is not permitted on DIS (which is why I omitted the url in my quoting of your post, btw).

- Dreams

How is it not accidental? They didn't toss someone or something through the door. They just 'tested' the tempered glass against wind resistance and it broke. Was it dumb? Yes? But people do dumb stuff all the time, it doesn't mean it was malicious.

If I am not mistaken, didn't the "Captain" of the ship also cause glass partitions to break when he was 'testing the ship' on route to Port Canaveral? Are you going to hold teenaged boys to a higher standard than the ships captain?

I remember that. All the pictures of the shattered windows on the decks. They never shattered and fell to the floor. I hope DCL fixes it.

Obviously a design flaw in the glass and the door. These doors are extremely difficult to open during high winds and should have a better design. Lucky no one was injured.

We just returned form the Dream. One early windy morning (pre sunrise) DH and I were taking a walk and some of the doors were locked and we had to get on deck from the other side of the ship. I guess DCL figured out a solution.:confused3

The first time I watched it I thought that the boy did it to be funny, but after watching it again I really think that the wind caused this to happen. It looks like the bottom of the door came out first causing a twist in the door which made the glass break. I don't think that the kid pushed it or forced it. I think that they were just making a video on how hard the wind was blowing and the force on that door. :confused3

And then they got scared out of their wits and ran, like most teenagers would do. Stupid? Absolutely, but I don't think they were being punks. Hopefully they came to their senses and told someone, and if not then maybe the guilt will teach them a valuable lesson.

The poster wrote in the comments section that they called somebody from the staff, so I don't really understand wht the big deal is. It was an accident, they notified the staff, ok they laughed, I used to do that, too, as a teenager, when I felt insecure.

What surprises me is, that the glass shattered. I would have thought that safety glass had to be used for a public building.

The poster wrote in the comments section that they called somebody from the staff, so I don't really understand wht the big deal is. It was an accident, they notified the staff, ok they laughed, I used to do that, too, as a teenager, when I felt insecure.

What surprises me is, that the glass shattered. I would have thought that safety glass had to be used for a public building.[/QUOT

Exactly.

I hope we get to meet on our upcoming cruise.

It saddens me to see that people (in this case young men it sounds like) have such a lack of respect for property and other people's things. And then to laugh about it makes my stomach turn in knots. If this had happened to me I certainly would not have followed it up with laughter.... most likely I would have passed out cold on the deck and would have been SICK with nerves the rest of my trip. Accidents can happen by why on earth was there a video camera in use taping the young man going through the door?
How did you stumble upon this? I hope DCL stubles upon it as well.

Nope. If it had been accidental (which I don't buy) why post it? Look at how the guy was opening the door. Yeah the door getting out of his hands is accidental, but why on earth would anyone open a door THAT WIDE in a wind situation just to go through it? Yep. Judging them.

I watched several times and agree that it was intentional. 1st. They are video taping it. 2nd. He does not just walk through the door he holds it open as wide as he can and then lets it slam shut.
Did he know it would break? Maybe. Was he using the door correctly definitely NOT! Was it a stupid kid thing? Yes, but my snowflake wouldn't get a free pass on this one. I can't believe everyone wants to make excuses for this bad behavior and not hold them accountable. They were messing around and it went bad why should they not be held responsible? Why should we all pay for their "mistake" through higher cabin costs? At a minimum the parents should be charged for the cost of the door.

to me it looks like teenage boys being dumb, they clearly didnt do it on purpose. They probably thought it was funny to try and open the door against the wind. You can tell when he lets go of the door he didnt push it at all, the wind caused it. This is probably a good thing, now disney will be forced to do something and fix this for future crusiers.

I'm not going to waste the $$ on a verandah on future family cruises as I've now learned that my 18yo step son won't sleep with curtains open. :eek:BUT THERES NOTHING OUT THERE TO SEE IN...:rotfl:

Kills me but he just won't take advantage of that starry starry DARK sky!!!

I watched several times and agree that it was intentional. 1st. They are video taping it. 2nd. He does not just walk through the door he holds it open as wide as he can and then lets it slam shut.
Did he know it would break? Maybe. Was he using the door correctly definitely NOT! Was it a stupid kid thing? Yes, but my snowflake wouldn't get a free pass on this one. I can't believe everyone wants to make excuses for this bad behavior and not hold them accountable. They were messing around and it went bad why should they not be held responsible? Why should we all pay for their "mistake" through higher cabin costs? At a minimum the parents should be charged for the cost of the door.
I agree - because the last thing I hear one of them say on the video is, "They're gonna know we were doing this . . " NOT "that we did this." It sounds totally planned and staged to me. :sad2:

And although the guy in the video is not "old," he could very easily be an over 18 "adult." Even though he posted a reply to a video comment saying it was accidental, the vid is listed as a "comedy" and it's full of hahaha on their end. Absolutely intentional, IMHO. :eek:

Whatever. It's just a shame that the window shattered & some poor CM had to clean it up. Hope no one was hurt.

I agree. To me, it looked like he opened the door, then turned around & purposely shut it with force. Maybe the glass breaking was not intentional, but they were up to mischief, that much is clear.

I didn't see the force being used to shut the door. The force was used to open it.

The wind blew the door in and as noted by another poster, it came off it's hinge at the bottom.

I agree - because the last thing I hear one of them say on the video is, "They're gonna know we were doing this . . " NOT "that we did this." It sounds totally planned and staged to me. :sad2:

And although the guy in the video is not "old," he could very easily be an over 18 "adult." Even though he posted a reply to a video comment saying it was accidental, the vid is listed as a "comedy" and it's full of hahaha on their end. Absolutely intentional, IMHO. :eek:

It sounded like "They are going to know we DID this" but I digress. As THIS was them thinking how funny/neat/amusing it was that the door was hard to open because the wind. That's why they were recording it.

Unlike the other now infamous video where, some fool thought it was amusing to have himself recorded as he went on stealing spree taking magnets off people's doors.

Not enough evidence here for a guilty verdict and a night in the brigg....for one thing....the wind here is the proximate cause and it would have been normal to anticipate a jarring slam...not a crash......the doors should be built to take a fair amount of wind...and the design here is also an issue...

BUT.....innocent?.....absolutely not....

It sounded like "They are going to know we DID this" but I digress.>>>
I turned up the volume and listened to it repeatedly, and I most definitely hear, "They're gonna know we WERE doing this." The second guy starts interrupting him as he says "doing," but that's after a very clear "were."

No matter. Everyone has their own perception of what happened. Considering the various damage that has happened aboard the Dream so far, perhaps DCL should be building the Fantasy like a war ship! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter