• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Downtown Disney Hotels

Our 2 Princesses

DIS Veteran
Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me what your favorite DTD hotels are and why. I'm kicking around possibly staying offsite next May when we go. Soooo undecided! :). It will be myself, dh and 2 teen dds. Thank you!

We stayed at the DTD Doubletree 2 years ago. Overall it was o.k. I felt it was lacking that Disney "feel" and the bus service wasn't nearly as good as Disney buses. (Although the buses were much better than most off site hotels.) The buses don't drop off right in front of the parks like on site, and for MK you get dropped off at the TTC which was kind of a pain. The hotel itself was nice but I thought the room could use a refurbishment which I've heard they received, so that should take it up a few notches. The pics I've seen of the refurbished rooms look very nice. We booked there because we wanted a suite and couldn't stomach Disney suite prices. The room was spacious. Be aware though, they do charge a parking fee so if you are planning to drive to the parks, you will be double charged. (Charged to park at the resort and charged to park at the parks.) Overall it was a decent value if you need more space for your money and as long as you are accounting for the parking charges.

We stayed at the DTD Doubletree 2 years ago. Overall it was o.k. I felt it was lacking that Disney "feel" and the bus service wasn't nearly as good as Disney buses. (Although the buses were much better than most off site hotels.) The buses don't drop off right in front of the parks like on site, and for MK you get dropped off at the TTC which was kind of a pain. The hotel itself was nice but I thought the room could use a refurbishment which I've heard they received, so that should take it up a few notches. The pics I've seen of the refurbished rooms look very nice. We booked there because we wanted a suite and couldn't stomach Disney suite prices. The room was spacious. Be aware though, they do charge a parking fee so if you are planning to drive to the parks, you will be double charged. (Charged to park at the resort and charged to park at the parks.) Overall it was a decent value if you need more space for your money and as long as you are accounting for the parking charges.
Thank you! This is the info I needed to know. We would like more room but I don't want to pay Disney suite prices either.

We stayed at DTD Doubletree too a few years ago pre WDW pkg. I added on a day or so coming in early. It's a huge 1 bedroom suite. Also as a kitchenette with fridges& microwave. As mentioned all the rooms received updating last year. Pics look great.
I loved the toilettries. Crabtree & Evelyn!
We got a room discount and free breakfast thru Mousesavers.com they are one of their preferred hotels. Discount included free breakfast.
They are part of the DTD bus service which is pretty good. Runs every 30 min. It is considered an offsite bus, so they do use the offsite bus drop off/pick up area. So yes, not as close as the Disney busses, but some of the Disney stops are a hike too!!
As mentioned, they do charge parking. So I wouldn't rent a car.
You could prob walk 20 min or less across the road to Crossroads Shopping Plaza to for dining, and grocery pick up.

I've stayed at every one of the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd. and have enjoyed my stay at all of them. As others have mentioned, they are not over the top Disney like a Disney resort would be. But oh well. The only parks that the shuttle buses don't drop you off right at the park entrance is Magic Kingdom & Animal Kingdom. At the Studios, and EPCOT you are no further away than most of the Disney buses are anyway. To me this is no big deal.

The shuttles run pretty consistent every 20-30 minutes and go to other hotels along that road. Here are the buses and which hotels they hit in order for both pick up and drop off:

A Bus
Hilton
Holiday Inn Express
B Resort
Double Tree

B Bus
Best Western
Wyndham LBV
Buena Vista Palace

You can also use the different buses to your advantage as well. If your bus is not there, you can always jump on the other bus and get off close to your hotel and just walk over. We do this all the time.

The "nicest" of all the properties (to me) would be the Buena Vista Palace, Hilton and Double Tree. The B Resort just was refurbished and has a really modern vibe to it now. I don't think you would not enjoy your stay at any of the properties.

I've stayed at every one of the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd. and have enjoyed my stay at all of them. As others have mentioned, they are not over the top Disney like a Disney resort would be. But oh well. The only parks that the shuttle buses don't drop you off right at the park entrance is Magic Kingdom & Animal Kingdom. At the Studios, and EPCOT you are no further away than most of the Disney buses are anyway. To me this is no big deal.

The shuttles run pretty consistent every 20-30 minutes and go to other hotels along that road. Here are the buses and which hotels they hit in order for both pick up and drop off:

A Bus
Hilton
Holiday Inn Express
B Resort
Double Tree

B Bus
Best Western
Wyndham LBV
Buena Vista Palace

You can also use the different buses to your advantage as well. If your bus is not there, you can always jump on the other bus and get off close to your hotel and just walk over. We do this all the time.

The "nicest" of all the properties (to me) would be the Buena Vista Palace, Hilton and Double Tree. The B Resort just was refurbished and has a really modern vibe to it now. I don't think you would not enjoy your stay at any of the properties.
Thank you! This gives us a lot to think about.

I have stayed at the Wyndham, Buena Vista Palace and Hilton. I didn't care for the Wyndham but I would definitely stay at the BVP again and the Hilton was my favourite. The rooms are very comfortable and the pool area is great with 2 pools, hot tub and restaurant with very reasonable prices that serves the pool area. The Hilton is the easiest to walk, although they are all short walks, which us a huge plus if you spend a bit of time at DTD. Since I wake long before my teen daughter I would walk over in the mornings to stroll around or sit with a coffee.

I have stayed at the Wyndham, Buena Vista Palace and Hilton. I didn't care for the Wyndham but I would definitely stay at the BVP again and the Hilton was my favourite. The rooms are very comfortable and the pool area is great with 2 pools, hot tub and restaurant with very reasonable prices that serves the pool area. The Hilton is the easiest to walk, although they are all short walks, which us a huge plus if you spend a bit of time at DTD. Since I wake long before my teen daughter I would walk over in the mornings to stroll around or sit with a coffee.

It's going to be an even easier walk when the cross over walk ways are completed there at the corner of Hotel Plaza Blvd. and Buena Vista Dr. At least I think that's what's going on there.

I have stayed multiple times at the Doubletree DTD and once at the B Resort. I liked both but the Doubletree Suites have bigger rooms.

You might want to check out www.vacationupgrades.com for a quote on a two bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. You would have 2 bathrooms and no charge for parking at resort. You would need a car to reach the parks. Each girl would have her own bed. Six pools to enjoy.

You might want to check out www.vacationupgrades.com for a quote on a two bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. You would have 2 bathrooms and no charge for parking at resort. You would need a car to reach the parks. Each girl would have her own bed. Six pools to enjoy.
I'm actually reading the Bonnet Creek threads right now and discussing it with the family. I think that this is the way to go, esp with 2 bathrooms. Do you feel vacation upgrades has competitive prices? Thanks for the tip!!!

I think that Ken & Denise at Vacation Upgrades run a first class site. Very professional. I own Wyndham but have used them on two occasions when I needed more rooms than I had points to obtain. I understand that they are more expensive that Vacation Strategies but I keep reading messages from folks that are panic because VS had dropped the ball on communications. You get what you pay for - it was worth it to me to know that all was secure - no last minute changes. Since you are looking at May that is low season.
Timeshares do not offer daily maid service like a hotel. Your condo is clean when you move in and you are provided with cleaning supplies - broom, etc. I prefer not to have someone going through my things as they daily make the beds, etc. I don't mind fixing a quick breakfast each morning - rather than eating out - some wives feel it is not a vacation if they have to cook. I like having a washer & dryer. I come home from vacation with all clean clothes. If I am flying I can get by with less outfits. The 3 TVs everyone does not have to watch the same show.
Wyndham Bonnet Creek is a beautiful property and so close to all the parks. Just don't let the sucker you into a timeshare presentation. You can rent from other owners cheaper than paying the yearly maintenance fees. Beware of the parking pass desk. Just say NO to whatever they offer.

I think that Ken & Denise at Vacation Upgrades run a first class site. Very professional. I own Wyndham but have used them on two occasions when I needed more rooms than I had points to obtain. I understand that they are more expensive that Vacation Strategies but I keep reading messages from folks that are panic because VS had dropped the ball on communications. You get what you pay for - it was worth it to me to know that all was secure - no last minute changes. Since you are looking at May that is low season.
Timeshares do not offer daily maid service like a hotel. Your condo is clean when you move in and you are provided with cleaning supplies - broom, etc. I prefer not to have someone going through my things as they daily make the beds, etc. I don't mind fixing a quick breakfast each morning - rather than eating out - some wives feel it is not a vacation if they have to cook. I like having a washer & dryer. I come home from vacation with all clean clothes. If I am flying I can get by with less outfits. The 3 TVs everyone does not have to watch the same show.
Wyndham Bonnet Creek is a beautiful property and so close to all the parks. Just don't let the sucker you into a timeshare presentation. You can rent from other owners cheaper than paying the yearly maintenance fees. Beware of the parking pass desk. Just say NO to whatever they offer.
Thank you again for all the info. I think we are going to stay here. When do you think I can/should book? Also, do I have to go to the parking desk? I don't mind cooking some, cleaning up, etc. Sounds like an awesome place to stay!

VU can book your room a year in advance.
You can skip the parking pass desk - it is your room key that opens the entrance gate. I also recommend disconnecting the room phone. Family & friends can call your cell phone. Do not give out your cell phone number to Wyndham.
I will be at WBC later this week - my 7th stay since 2007. Obviously, I think it is a great place to stay for WDW trips.

Hi, we'll be staying at the B Resort next week, our first time at the DTD area hotels. I've heard the bus system is very good...but does anyone know if they can accomodate a scooter? I'm renting one for the week from an offsite vendor and will be using it both at the parks and en route.

TIA for any info!

Yes, they can accommodate a scooter with no issues.

The stairs at the front of the bus come out to transform into a platform that the scooter can then move on to. There are a bank of seats in the front of the coach that fold up against the wall allowing the scooter to "park" there and be strapped in.

You will have no issues with the scooter. I hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter