Down the Rabbit Hole – a Vegan Alice and Omnivore Mad Hatter Taste Wonderland

Oh you're kidding?! Wow, I didn't eat them but Disney lists them as allergy free and puts them in the same area with the Caramel Corn and Cookies. Glad I didn't! Thanks for the head's up :sad1:

I imagine that they have gelatin in them, which is not an alergen, but unfortunately not vegan or vegetarian.

Still lovin' the reviews !

Just a suggestion to all... Remember when it's really crowded at CHH, you can always go upstairs to eat... Often times you'll have the second floor to yourselves even on the most busy days. Most people just don't know about it, or assume it's not allowed to climb those stairs. Glad you guys knew this in advance... :thumbsup2

Divvies jelly beans do not contain gelatin. I think it's the beeswax?

From Divvies website:

Jelly Beans
INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Corn Syrup, Modified Food Starch, Dextrose, Pectin, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, ConfectionerÕs Glaze, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax, Mineral Oil, Cocoa Powder, Cocoa Liquor, Natural and Artificial Flavors and Colors (Including: FD&C Red 40 Lake, Red 40, Red 3, Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake)

MAY CONTAIN: Soy
Close Divvies LLC © 2004-2006 — Privacy Policy

Still lovin' the reviews !

Just a suggestion to all... Remember when it's really crowded at CHH, you can always go upstairs to eat... Often times you'll have the second floor to yourselves even on the most busy days. Most people just don't know about it, or assume it's not allowed to climb those stairs. Glad you guys knew this in advance... :thumbsup2

The upstairs may have been MARGINALLY less crowded, but it was still nuts and we had to clean a table from someone's else's previous mess. Why can't people throw their own stuff away?! Aside from that, we had a nice view from upstairs!

We each used our first snack credit after we got back to the Boardwalk from Magic Kingdom. We wanted a dip in the pool and some time in the sun, and what better way to do that than with a drink in hand?

65936.jpg

Now, I'll let you in on a little secret. Even though snack credits can't be used on alcoholic beverages, that doesn't mean you can't purchase a NON-alcoholic drink and add your own! That was my plan from the beginning, so we had packed mini bottles of Ketel One with us and brought them down to the pool! (They were in plastic bottles - so no fear.)

I really wanted to get the virgin Pina Colada, but for some reason the Luna Park Pool at Boardwalk wouldn't allow that for a snack credit. We both then decided on the Pomegranate Lemonade, which also happens to be Light (meaning more calories for dinner!). It was refreshing and a great way to unwind before heading to the Polynesian for dinner at Ohana!

We each used our first snack credit after we got back to the Boardwalk from Magic Kingdom. We wanted a dip in the pool and some time in the sun, and what better way to do that than with a drink in hand?

65936.jpg

Now, I'll let you in on a little secret. Even though snack credits can't be used on alcoholic beverages, that doesn't mean you can't purchase a NON-alcoholic drink and add your own! That was my plan from the beginning, so we had packed mini bottles of Ketel One with us and brought them down to the pool! (They were in plastic bottles - so no fear.)

I really wanted to get the virgin Pina Colada, but for some reason the Luna Park Pool at Boardwalk wouldn't allow that for a snack credit. We both then decided on the Pomegranate Lemonade, which also happens to be Light (meaning more calories for dinner!). It was refreshing and a great way to unwind before heading to the Polynesian for dinner at Ohana!

ooh a pomegranate lemonade sounds really really good!

I am soooo enjoying our reviews, as I am a vegetarian and my husband is a meat eater! Thanks!:thumbsup2

That's fantastic! Disney definitely caters to everyone, almost anywhere you go!

So does a mini of Ketel One... :rotfl:

Yes, the Pom. Lemonade was quite tasty - they had this drink at almost every restaurant we ate at and I ordered it alot as my beverage that week! However, the Ketel one added a lovely touch!

We headed over to Polynesian by way of the Magic Kingdom bus, then hopping a Monorail. We actually arrived about an hour early, because I really wanted to get a great seat to watch the Wishes firework show! Even doing this though, we were told to just come back at exactly our reservation time (8:50pm) and they would get us taken care of. While that didn’t make much sense to me, I trusted the hostess and we went to have a seat in the bar.

I knew what I wanted before we even sat down…the Lapu Lapu! I'm usually a person to go out of my way trying less mainstream, popular items...but the hollowed out fruit gets me every time! Give me a Coconut or Pineapple with a straw sticking out the top and I'm one content little lady.

IMG_1685.jpg

When I ordered however, I heard the dreaded news…they were OUT of Pineapples! Never fear, they could do the same drink in a Tiki glass. While not quite as fun, it was probably more potent because of it…I definitely only had one drink this night!

Jeremy just ordered a Gin and Tonic and kept things simple.

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

These guys make me laugh! I actually witnessed one kid sticking his face in that poor statue's butt, making me laugh more!

ANYWAY, We wandered around the resort, went outside and checked out the pool area, and then came back when it was about time to check BACK in. Sure enough, the original hostess was no longer there and they didn’t know what I was talking about. Luckily, we were seated in a great spot anyway!

Before she left I mentioned that I was excited that Chef TJ would be helping me out tonight with my meal. I almost turned around and left when she said that he had taken the night off and that Chef Julie would be helping me! I know this was probably selfish of me, but I had learned of his schedule and made my reservation for this Monday night with that in mind. But, I wasn’t going to let this get me down – we were already having a great night, so I thought good thoughts, knowing that Ohana could accommodate anyone, no matter the chef.

Our waiter brought the chef straight out...and she was very nice! She let me know a little bit about what they could do, made sure Jeremy wanted to stick with the standard fare, and brought us both out a lovely Salad.

IMG_1687.jpg

We had barely made headway into the salad (and we were starving since we were eating such a late dinner), when more food arrived and Jeremy got caught up in the meat extravaganza that was taking place at our table.

IMG_1689.jpg

Poly-Ohana-05-Sauce.jpg

Pork Pot Stickers, Sticky Wings, and a Trio of Sauces were brought out that he immediately began devouring. You would think that I never cooked anything but bean sprouts at our house the way he was ripping into everything! I was a pig myself though, because they also came out with some absolutely delicious Stir Fry Noodles and Veggies that consisted of Broccoli and Snow Peas. Even Jeremy loved the noodles and had a few helpings of them!

Ohana-Pit-01.jpg

The server brought skewers of Turkey, Pork and Steak for my Mad Hatter to munch on. He didn't want me to photograph the carnage though, since it wasn't that appetizing to look at after being taken off the skewer, so I present you instead with a view of the grill where said meats were cooked. Julie brought me out another round of food, as well.

IMG_1690.jpg

Vegan Hand Rolls! They were incredible, and she did a great job pairing it with a sauce that I could have. I had mentioned to her that I am THE sauce girl! The rolls were stuffed with Carrots, Avocado, Zucchini and Rice with a sauce very similar a Ponzu sauce you would get with Tempura at a Japanese restaurant…only a bit spicier.

IMG_1691.jpg

Again, more food for me! This turned out to be quite tasty. Mixed Veggies in a crisp Wonton Shell that included Mushrooms, Broccoli, Yellow Peppers, Onion, White Rice, Peanuts, and a Peanut sauce mixed in. I must admit, I was hoping for a tower of delicious tofu to come out of the kitchen (you know what I’m referring to), but this was so great and I wouldn’t have been able to eat much more than this after everything else! It really appeared very appetizing...more so than the picture implies!

Right after the firework show, when we were practically passing out from full bellies, our pre-dinner drinks, and just plain exhaustion, dessert arrived.

IMG_1693.jpg

Jeremy got the Bread Pudding, because what else would he have gotten at Ohana? He said it was absolutely worth getting, and he isn’t a bread pudding fan! (The hostess actually talked him into it on the way to our table earlier).

IMG_1692.jpg

Julie came and brought out a nice presentation of Fruit and Chocolate. It was perfect for me and while I didn’t eat much of it, each bite I had was absolutely fantastic.

Out of pocket, our total at Ohana was only $66.01. Keep in mind this doesn’t include our drinks at the bar, though. I loved this experience, would do it again in a heartbeat, and can’t wait to see what other chefs can create for me…even if I don’t get Chef TJ next time either. There are definitely others that can cook amazing meals here!

Julie did a great job - Everything at Ohana looks fabulous. That chocolate and strawberries looks fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell Jeremy I totally agree with him on the bread pudding. I am not a bread pudding person at all but I absolutely love O'hana's bread pudding!!!

We Finally got our PhotoPass pictures back! Jeremy was in charge of editing them all on the PhotoPass website, and you can include borders and other cute additions to the original pics they took during your stay. He came up with this one on his own!

princessandfrog.jpg

I gotta be cheesy for a second and say - this Mad Hatter is more Prince than Frog to me!

I'm glad Chef Julie was able to accommodate you! When we went, we didn't get chef TJ either. While we didn't get the hand rolls, we didn't get a dish similar to yours, but without the wonton and with tofu. The sauce they used in the stir-fry was waaaay too sweet so I wasn't able to eat much of it, but their tofu was really good. I love crispy tofu, and theirs was nice and crisp.

I also love those peanut noodles that they serve everyone. I could eat those every day! Your picture is also very, very cute! I want one for when my husband and I go in the fall...I love the Princess and the Frog :)

Very cute pic!! Where do you buy the CD in advance, and how many pictures did you end up with?

Thanks so much! We purchased the CD from the PhotoPass website. They had a few different versions but we chose the 99.95 package (will cost 140 or so if you purchase after your trip). http://www.disneyphotopass.com/photoproducts.aspx

We wound up with 101 photos, and then edited and made some with borders and such, which made the total about 230. The CD keeps all originals on there are well, so that was a plus!

I loved it because we didn't have a ton of random pictures where one of us is trying to hold the camera to get the shot. Usually that just doesn't work for us, and we leave from vacation with maybe 2 good pictures of us together!

I'm glad Chef Julie was able to accommodate you! When we went, we didn't get chef TJ either. While we didn't get the hand rolls, we didn't get a dish similar to yours, but without the wonton and with tofu. The sauce they used in the stir-fry was waaaay too sweet so I wasn't able to eat much of it, but their tofu was really good. I love crispy tofu, and theirs was nice and crisp.

I also love those peanut noodles that they serve everyone. I could eat those every day! Your picture is also very, very cute! I want one for when my husband and I go in the fall...I love the Princess and the Frog :)

I really liked Ohana and would go back no matter the chef! I'm with you on the tofu...I really don't like it much when it's crumbly!

I really liked Ohana and would go back no matter the chef! I'm with you on the tofu...I really don't like it much when it's crumbly!

Crumbly, squishy, water-logged, etc. Yeah. Hahaha, I feel so picky, but really it's difficult to get right!

Great reviews! I am going to have my 13 year old daughter read your dining report to prepare her for our December trip. She is a vegetarian contemplating vegan. :)

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter