Down the Rabbit Hole – a Vegan Alice and Omnivore Mad Hatter Taste Wonderland

Crumbly, squishy, water-logged, etc. Yeah. Hahaha, I feel so picky, but really it's difficult to get right!

Ew! I know!! I have really been shying away from too much tofu lately anyway...seems it's been hurting my stomach like crazy!

Great reviews! I am going to have my 13 year old daughter read your dining report to prepare her for our December trip. She is a vegetarian contemplating vegan. :)

Thanks!

Oh! I really hope I help her out then - I'm excited for ya'll...Let me know if there is anything specific she has questions about and I'll do my best to help!

Is there anything quite like a warm pastry? I sometimes get a craving and sprint to my favorite bake shop. My favorite is the Vegan “Beet It” muffin, with huge dark chocolate chunks…amazing even as a dessert! This particular morning of our trip though, we would be having bakery items to begin our day.

Before our trip, I had planned our Epcot day to include only a light breakfast. Looking back, it probably wasn’t the best planning decision, knowing in advance of our late dinner and cocktails the evening before. With my adoration of breakfast even on a normal day, this should have tipped me off that I might need something a bit more substantial! But, we were able to only use a snack credit for this, so I count it as a breakfast well spent (it enabled us to eat at a Signature dinner later in the week)!

Epcot had extra magic hours that morning, so I wanted to get over quickly and ride all the good stuff before there were 2 hour long waits for everything. Can you believe I’ve been to Disney World at least 8 times and have never ridden Test Track or Soarin’? Well this day was going to be my first experience!

On the way there, we stopped at Boardwalk Bakery, were surprised by its quietness (usually there is a line out the door and along the boardwalk), and immediately placed our orders so we could eat as we walked.

IMG_1953.jpg

Now for a little back story. As I’ve mentioned a few times now, I had been in contact with Disney Special Diets quite frequently. They mentioned that if there was anything specific I wanted, to just ask. SO…I took them up on it! Even though there were no Vegan items on Boardwalk Bakery's normal menu, they surprised me by giving me the email to the pastry chef! Chef Stefan is the pastry chef for both Boardwalk Bakery and Beach Club Marketplace, so emailed him asking what he might be able to whip up. He quickly replied and let me know he could do:
Bran Muffins
Apple Muffins
Blueberry Muffins
Bread
Sorbet (if I wanted dessert at any point during my stay)

IMG_1948.jpg

Nope, couldn't have anything in the display case, so I chose the Blueberry Muffins, and let him know the date I would be picking them up during my stay. Simple as that!

IMG_1950.jpg

Jeremy also picked out a Blueberry Muffin (they both looked exactly the same), and we headed out.

As we were walking, we both dug right in. Mine was…raw. That’s the best way to describe it. It was very doughy in the center, like they hadn’t baked it nearly long enough, even though the outside was golden as it should be. It even tasted like bread dough…mixed in with a few blueberries. I was so disappointed!

Jeremy said his was very good, though. He tried a little bit of mine and confirmed that yes, it was a bit on the undercooked side. He also mentioned there was a HUGE difference in his Blueberry muffin and mine. Looks can be quite deceiving!

I quickly threw it out and we continued on into the park. We entered through the back entrance located in the World Showcase and walked through the UK and Canada on our way to Future World. I noticed the Yorkshire County Fish Shop and knew that before lunch that day, I would be needing some French Fries!!

epcot.jpg

Before the rides and greasy snacks, we had to stop for a PhotoPass picture!

Awww, that's a bummer about the muffin. I've had some absolutely amazing vegan pastries before...and then some not so good ones :( Sorry yours was the latter.

Awww, that's a bummer about the muffin. I've had some absolutely amazing vegan pastries before...and then some not so good ones :( Sorry yours was the latter.

Haha well I had so much food this trip, it probably did me a world of good to be without a full tummy for a few hours! I definitely made up for it.

Oh man, that totally stinks about the muffin.

I've always wanted to be a pastry chef, which is far from what I do (i'm a horseback riding instructor). I love to bake and everything vegan that I make has excellent feedback from nonvegan's. A story like that makes me want to work at a place like that and make something great that is totally unexpected by someone with a special diet. Maybe I should change professions... :rotfl:

I've always wanted to be a pastry chef, which is far from what I do (i'm a horseback riding instructor). I love to bake and everything vegan that I make has excellent feedback from nonvegan's. A story like that makes me want to work at a place like that and make something great that is totally unexpected by someone with a special diet. Maybe I should change professions... :rotfl:

You really should! The vegan pastries I've had are for the most part absolutely delicious, but there are times when some places try their hardest to accommodate (Disney in this example), and just miss the mark completely!

I would absolutely purchase long distance for something like this! Heck, I've been thinking about ordering some Divvies online...I would much prefer homemade treats!

Ohana was fantastic! As I am sure every review will tell you Ohana must be on your reservation list. As the meat eating Hatter, you just can't beat all the meat you can eat! I really enjoyed the atmosphere, they did such a great job of making everyone have a good time. There was limbo going on for all the kids (and adults if you chose to participate), the view is out of this world, and yes, once again the food was wonderful.

And don't forget, as Lilo so elequently says, "Ohana means family!" So prepare to eat for a family, meet your neighbors, and have an experience that just can't be beat!

With my one bite of dough hours earlier, I was ravenous at 10:30 after a morning of running ahead of people to beat the lines. I knew we were going to have to grab a little something to keep me going before our lunch reservations at 1:30.

When I get hungry I tend to panic if food is not readily available. I get grouchy and desperate…does this happen to anyone else? I couldn’t even wait for the Yorkshire County Fish Shop to open at 11:30, I had to get something in my belly right that moment!

As soon as everything opened for lunch (right around 11 it seemed), we had finished riding Soarin’ and were in The Land. I took a peek at what Sunshine Seasons had to offer…but it was nothing I wanted at that moment. Like I mentioned previously, what I needed was a bit of grease. It doesn’t happen often, so when it does I answer the call!

We headed straight for Electric Umbrella, because I knew they would have what my tummy sought. Who knew so many people would be lined up right at opening time! We had to wait a bit, because the kitchen was still making their first batch of food and trying to accommodate the hungry masses.

IMG_1704.jpg

We were rewarded for our wait though! The fries were hot and delicious – exactly what I needed. And while YES, the UK would have been much better quality, these did the job and still tasted great on an empty stomach. Plus, we were able to use a snack credit for them!

Great reviews so far!

I had to do a double-take, because you and your DH have the same names as me and mine! We also stayed at BW on our last trip, but in a villa since we're DVC.

Great reviews so far!

I had to do a double-take, because you and your DH have the same names as me and mine! We also stayed at BW on our last trip, but in a villa since we're DVC.

We were in a Villa, as well!! We were renting points...but either way, very odd coincidence!

After meandering around half the “world” for a few hours, we were ready for lunch. There’s nowhere else but Disney that you can shop in Norway before your lunch in Japan!

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

After having a little fun, we arrived right on time, and there were plenty of tables available. They sat us in a great location, where we could view the lagoon and people watch. The hostess let us know the manager would be out to speak with me shortly, and then bowed when leaving. They do a great job in this particular country incorporating native traditions.

Turned out they had a separate menu for vegetarians, so with only a few modifications (some of the sauces had dairy or egg in them) I was able to order with ease! Jeremy was a little bummed that the rolls were not on the Deluxe Dining Plan, but was appeased when he found out the combination entrée included some sushi. We ordered shortly after.

IMG_1711.jpg

Appetizers came out quickly. Jeremy had ordered the Ultimate Unagi. It was an Eel roll, and even though it only came with three pieces, they were pretty large and it turned out to be a good portion for an appetizer.

IMG_1714.jpg

I ordered the Edamame, which was served traditional Japanese style – cold. There also wasn’t any sea salt on it, which is most common in Japanese restaurants in the US. I liked it better this way – there’s already enough sodium in the LOW sodium Soy sauce!

IMG_1716.jpg

When our entrees arrived, I was really impressed by the presentation and amount of everything we ordered. Jeremy got the Deluxe Sushi Combination that included Yellowtail, Salmon, Isumi-dat, Shrimp, Conch, Squid, Egg omelet, Salmon roe, and 3 pieces of Tuna roll. He was a big fan of it all!

IMG_1715.jpg

I ordered the Vegetable Sushi Combination with Tempura Veggies. The Vegetable roll contained Shiitake mushrooms, Avocado and Cucumber. It also came with a side of Seaweed salad. While the tempura was much too greasy (I had my fill already for the day!), the roll was phenomenal. They did a great job combining textures and having a little crunch, mixed with the firmness of the mushroom and soft Avocado. I also really loved the Seaweed salad! Jeremy tried it and thought it was just ok, but I would definitely order it again.

After this, dessert came even though we were very full! He ordered Soft Serve Ice Cream - which he loved, of course. I was only able to get Orange Slices. They were good...just orange slices. I failed to take photos of these, but they were bland and boring to look at, anyway. :goodvibes

Our Out of Pocket total would have been $81.80 before tip. We had a great experience here and will be back when we’re in Epcot again. This is probably a restaurant we won’t be skipping on any trips!

Wow - your out of pocket was still $81 on the DDXP? yowza.

I love sushi and I crave seaweed salad and veggie rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you know - YES, I get super grouchy when I am hungry! If I've been going without food in my belly for too long, no one can stand being near me. People always rush to get me something to eat because it will make them happier once I've been fed. I feel so bad for everyone around me when I'm hungry.

Wow, that was quite an expensive meal. I love sushi, and I love seaweed salad. I know a vegan married couple that just dined at Tokyo Dining and they loved it, though I think they said the same thing about the tempura! I love seaweed salad too...mmm...your dinner looked so delicious.

Really enjoying your reviews. We really like Tokyo Dining, but DH normally just orders the veggie tempura on the normal menu as I never realised they had a seperate vegetarian menu. Did you just ask for it and how many options did it have on it?

Loving the reviews so far. It's interesting to see what Disney can come up with when you have food restrictions. Keep em' coming!

~Beka~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter