• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Double stroller for 5 and 7 yo???

tjknitz

DIS Veteran
How crazy would I look if I rented a Double Stroller for a 5 and 7 yo? I only ask this because I have a feeling that a week of Disney is going to make them tired and cranky and I'm wondering how many other parents out there with kids this age actually bring strollers? :confused3

Just a warning that this (oddly to me) is often a contentious subject on DIS. :)

By 4 yo our kids were out of the stroller at WDW. We do a lot of walking on a regular basis and they were pretty used to it. We also took midday breaks for everyone to rest (probably mostly for DH!!).

My boys were 5 and 7 on our first trip, and the thought of a stroller never even crossed my mind! We were so beyond "baby" mode that it wasn't even on the radar. If they got tired, we sat and took a break. No, we didn't go from RD to park close every day--and that was just fine. We didn't run like crazy from one ride to the next; we took our time. They held up just fine. For my guys, they would have been mortified if I even suggested a stroller!

But you'll have many people tell you it's just fine and they use it all the time. But I always wonder how much that has to do with the kids and how much has to do with the parents feeling they want to see everything and pushing the kids beyond their limits. Why can't parents slow down and match the child's pace instead of insisting the child hurry up and match theirs?

I'd much rather be walking hand-in-hand with my kids, talking about what we see, pointing things out together. Taking our time and enjoying time together. If we don't get to it all, we don't get to it all. There's always next time!

Just my opinion!

You know your kids best. I am taking my double (kids are 1, 4, 7). I know from experience my 7 year old will jump in for a few minutes when my 1 yr old bails. I get some strange looks for sure :-). My 4 yr old hates walking. Complains at the zoo from start to finish, wants to be carried. I'd rather bring my stroller than carry my child

If you don't plan on going all day they should be fine. We live in FL and just did a day trip a few weeks ago. We didn't bring a stroller for our 6 yr old (7 in nov) because we figured she could walk. We did 1/2 the day at HS then 1/2 at MK. By the time we got to MK it was 4:00, HOT and we had been there since 10:00. We decided instead of bringing in our single which our 3 yr old was using we would rent a double for them in case the older got tired. She didn't get in a lot but it was nice that she had the option and could rest.

We have will have a 7 and 9 year old at our next visit. My older son would never have needed a stroller at age 5 or 7.. he had energy in spades. My younger son has Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and loose joints/fatigue (he has a feeding tube and hearing aids, among other accessories). We will be bringing my younger son's (medical) stroller for our trip in February. There is no way that he will be able to do the parks without it.

We brought our double-stroller when the kids were ages 2 and 4 and 3 and 5 and I think it was absolutely necessary for those ages. It also helped to secure spots for parades, etc.

For the trip when they were 4 and 6, we brought a single stroller for the 4-year old.
For the trip in which they were 5 and 7, we also brought grandma along (age 65 at the time), and we were stroller-free that trip (not even a single stroller). The kids are used to daily gym class and other sports and activities, so they were fine walking.

WDW is indeed a tiring place for *everyone* not just for kids, but the kids did fine at 5 and 7 (and afterwards). My recommendation is to schedule frequent breaks. We often scheduled 2 TS per day (often a sit-down lunch), but there are other things you can do to ensure everyone rests.

I think it is hard to maneuver crowds with a double stroller. Invariably, you wind up behind the pack, as people can literally jump ahead of you. There is some amount of backtracking involved, as you have to go and pick up the stroller at the stroller parking.

I found the stroller when they were young highly useful in AK and the World Showcase as the distances are longer, but absolutely useless in MK and Future World, where kids may have a longer walk from the stroller parking to and from the attraction than if they simply walked to/from the attraction.

We also drive to WDW, so when we had the double stroller we drove to the parks. Larger double strollers are hard to hold in the bus, especially if you don't have a seat.

I think you will find it less tiring for everyone, if the kids walk and you take breaks.

How crazy would I look if I rented a Double Stroller for a 5 and 7 yo? I only ask this because I have a feeling that a week of Disney is going to make them tired and cranky and I'm wondering how many other parents out there with kids this age actually bring strollers? :confused3

I would consider it for sure.

A stroller is more than just a place for the kids to ride. It is also a trailer to haul all your stuff and a place for the kids to just sit if tired.

I have not found using a stroller in WDW to be inconvenient at all.

I have not rented a stroller though. Before our first trip I bought a Joovy Caboose stroller for less than it would have cost to rent one of those uncomfortable looking double strollers from Disney.

We are going back in November. Our kids haven't used the stroller in as long as I can remember (maybe the last Disney trip). But I will likely bring it anyway. If after the first few park days it goes unused I might just give it to a tired looking family in WDW.

Zero downside to bringing one. If you don't use it - no biggie.

JMO

Since you asked how many, don't count me. I have 6 and 8 year olds and I can't imagine a 7 year old in a stroller. When we went when my son was 2 (almost 3) and daughter was 5, we brought a double stroller (a long one with a seat and a bench for the older one). For the 5 year old, it was just because her brother would be riding in the stroller, so we didn't want a fight. If it was just a 5 year old, I wouldn't even do a stroller.

I will throw my hat in the ring. Last trip I rented a double stroller at Epcot. Both my kids are average sized for their age with no physical limitations- Ds was 7 and DD 8. Both rode in it some- most often one at a time. In hindsight wouldI do it again- yep! Epcot is a big park and we were here, there, and everywhere both days we were there. No regrets. That said, didn't feel like we needed one at any other park. Flame me if you must-- it made for a very pleasant 2 days :)

I don't see why it's contentious either, it's the parents' business whether they want to lug around a double stroller for older kids. I've even read here about folks renting strollers who don't have any kids but want to use the stroller for storage.

Depends on the kid(s). My older son used a stroller a couple of times when he was five. With my younger one, he loves to explore. We're not bringing a stroller this December for him, and he will be almost 3 1/2 years.

Do not worry about what others think. Bring one if you want to. Leave it if you don't.

If your kids want to explore and will spend very little time in the stroller, you will be lugging that giant around for just a little break. If it is worth the lugging for the small break they get, bring it.

My 5 year old and 7 year olds did not need a stroller and honestly I think my 7year old would be embarrassed to ride in it. But that,s my child. We always took afternoon breaks at the hotel though

My DS was out of the stroller and walking in the parks by age 4. At 7, (which he will be on our next trip), there is no way he would get in a stroller, even if I had one. That said, you know your children best, if you honestly think they will need it, get the stroller. If you think they can walk it, don't bother. I will say, it was SO nice to finally be stroller free!!

We had double stroller for 6 and 4 year old last trip - this time I'm renting a double - 2 year old will need for sure and DD6 may like a break, but I totally foresee DD8 taking a break now and again. They're little and it's nice to sit down if nothing else. Doesn't mean they'll be in it constantly - may just hold any stuff you have and it's nice to have it and not need it rather than want it and not have it on hand.
And not sure about your kids - but I also know it'll be easier for me to get DS2 to sit in stroller if someone sits with him at times! It's a lot of walking and we found at times when we wanted to pick up the pace it was advantageous to have them all in a stroller last time (had the double foR DDs 4&6 and single for DD2) when we wanted to move faster across park all we had to do was push!

You won't look crazy at all. Many many families use strollers for children of all ages.

I say do what is good for you and yours. We had a very tall 8 year only and 5 year old with their own stroller last year. The 8 year old barely fit and looked a little silly but after 8 days of walking it was well worth it. As a bonus we had a place for our bags and things as well which was great. Disney is the only place we would ever do it but we would leave our strollers parked for hours at a time if we wanted a break from pushing them. I think we left it one spot for about 5 hours one day.

OP If it will make you feel better.....last summer, I saw a grown woman sitting in a double stroller in the MK. I did a double take, and asked my family to confirm my sighting to make sure I wasn't suffering from heat stroke.:rotfl: Don't worry, just do whatever is best for your situation.:goodvibes

We were just there last week and brought a stroller just in case. Our boys are 6 and 11, our 11 yr old was fine but our 6 yr old after 2 days was tired and hot and we felt like we were dragging him places. Edited to add we took multiple breaks and took a break to swim and nap each day. We asked him what he wanted, stroller or to walk and he chose the stroller. He said his legs hurt and he just was tired. We had a much more pleasant experience once we took out the stroller. You know your kids, do what you think is best for them. :)

Our first trip to WDW was back in '99 when my dd was 5, turned 6 at Disney! She hadn't been in a stroller for years. She was, still is, very tall. Would I have considered using a stroller? Maybe.
Here's my take on the subject. Yes, WDW is a huge place, and it sure is tiring to get around. BUT....I find that if you take a stroller, and let the kids ride in it, you tend to rush from thing to thing. You spend more time running around because you can....the kids don't get tired. If you choose not to use a stroller, you tend to take more time as you move about the parks. You notice more. Yes, the kids get tired...heck, I get tired! So, sit down, relax, watch life go by for a bit. Do an attraction that allows you to sit for a bit. Go eat...whatever. If you take things at your kids' pace, yes, it will take you longer to do things. But...by the time you get back to the resort, at the end of the day? Your kids are pooped and more than ready for bed!!! A nice plus.
But, if you choose to use a stroller, then stop worrying about what others may think. No one knows your situation. I know that I have looked askance at a family with kids in a stroller. Why? Both the kids had to be careful not to drag their feet on the ground and trip up the parents while riding. They were very tall for a stroller, and probably well past the age of 8 or 9. But was it my business? Nope. If mom and dad want to push kids that big in a stroller, have at it!!! Their choice. Most people aren't going to care one way or the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter