Don't skip the American Adventure!

I can't believe that some people want to turn this into a political football.

Last edited:
While I'm a proud American, I'm not big on cheer-leading propaganda. AA is a terrific show, the animatronics, the effects, and the music are all well done. The scope of the presentation is impressive. I would think children might be bored, but maybe they'll take a nap. Also it's nice to sit in a comfortable theater with A/C for a half an hour.

While I'm a proud American, I'm not big on cheer-leading propaganda. AA is a terrific show, the animatronics, the effects, and the music are all well done. The scope of the presentation is impressive. I would think children might be bored, but maybe they'll take a nap. Also it's nice to sit in a comfortable theater with A/C for a half an hour.
That's a good point - my boys didn't like it until they were well into their teens.

American Adventure is the best attraction at EPCOT, hands down. It's a classic. Not even going to touch the "there's not enough women in the show" argument. Leave my American Adventure alone.

Disney values tend to be old-fashioned values. Their view of America comes from a simpler patriotism that is at least partially reflective of Walt Disney's time. It may be more male-centric and white-centric, but it also happens to see the world a little more innocently and a little less cynically.

For those reasons, personally, I find the show moving. But like all history lessons (not just the ones taught by Disney), it doesn't hurt to look at it with a critical eye.

What's not to understand? Huge capacity, not enough interested guests. For the majority of repeat visitors, it's BTDT. Or only worthy of a visit every two or three trips.
Then they are not capable of appreciating the "Magic" that is Disney. It is the absolute TOP of the chain in AA shows, the music, the stories are all near perfection. Until they altered the ending slightly because no one wanted to be reminded of the Twin Towers almost nothing has changed for 33 years. That is the sign of a show that cannot get any better.

It's to bad that those people have to miss out on something that they will never ever see anywhere else. It does, however, make it easy for me to find a good seat.

I dont understand at the end when they show all the great Americans that they include Lance Armstrong in that.
At the time Lance was a genuine hero. However, that is no longer the case, but, time tends to fix things because most current generations have no idea what Lance Armstrong looked like and when they see his picture it's just another sport participant and no ones "roll model". Most adults understand that and look at it as just one other possible negative in a mostly positive film.

OMG this. Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, men men men men and more men with a slight glimpse of Rosa Parks. The whole thing virtually ignores half the population. My two daughters and I were not thrilled with this, to say the least.
There are others... Elenore Roosevelt for one, Susan B. Anthony for another. Let's face it, not because there weren't perfectly capable women in our culture, but, because in the era's depicted not a lot of them had accomplishments equal to the men. White Tiger Woods might draw some criticism from a few as well. :duck:History has, of course changed things, but that is current history and we know what it is now so not having that emphasized draws more attention to it then if they had been included. Wasn't Amelia Earhart in there someplace too? Those that did accomplish were not recorded very widely and are now forgotten to history. I'm pretty sure that there are others included, but, you didn't know who they were and thought they must just be background. You have to recognize them to know where they belonged in that history.

I'll agree.... for a long time it was a mans world and that is who we had representing us. Not the case now, but, this is a history type exhibit, not a current events one.

There are others... Elenore Roosevelt for one, Susan B. Anthony for another. Let's face it, not because there weren't perfectly capable women in our culture, but, because in the era's depicted not a lot of them had accomplishments equal to the men. White Tiger Woods might draw some criticism from a few as well. :duck:History has, of course changed things, but that is current history and we know what it is now so not having that emphasized draws more attention to it then if they had been included. Wasn't Amelia Earhart in there someplace too? Those that did accomplish were not recorded very widely and are now forgotten to history. I'm pretty sure that there are others included, but, you didn't know who they were and thought they must just be background. You have to recognize them to know where they belonged in that history.

I'll agree.... for a long time it was a mans world and that is who we had representing us. Not the case now, but, this is a history type exhibit, not a current events one.

Of course there were a few more sprinkled in, and I did know who they were. I was exaggerating. But women had no speaking parts...no clips from speeches, nothing, except for a woman from a civil war era family worried about her sons fighting each other. THere was nothing in there about us getting the right to vote!

I'm not saying it's a bad movie, just that there is a huge glaring error within it.

I can't believe that some people want to turn this into a political football.

Totally agree It was produced to give some general information and there will be some people who don't like the way history is portrayed anywhere unless it agrees with what they feel history should be told. Yes there are others who made contributions but how long do you want the show to go on?

Disney values tend to be old-fashioned values. Their view of America comes from a simpler patriotism that is at least partially reflective of Walt Disney's time. It may be more male-centric and white-centric, but it also happens to see the world a little more innocently and a little less cynically.

Again totally agree. It's a main theme from Walt Disney himself old fashioned family values
Take a look at history and see how and why things happened as they did. Due to social norms back 200 years ago most of the major historic acts were done by white males. That was the way society was back except for some exceptions and trying to put our values now on how and what happened 200 years ago doesn't work out.

We are going for the first time this trip. I have a degree in history so I am always open to these types of attractions. My niece has to do something educational each day so her trip is counted as an excused absence from school. She is also a history buff. To the point she is learning nothing in her freshman social studies class..to the point of complete boredom. But anyway..I find that history is never 100% because everyday something new is discovered or a new theory comes to light. I intend to enjoy it for what it is.

Of course there were a few more sprinkled in, and I did know who they were. I was exaggerating. But women had no speaking parts...no clips from speeches, nothing, except for a woman from a civil war era family worried about her sons fighting each other. THere was nothing in there about us getting the right to vote!

Actually, the scene depicting the celebration of the country's first Centennial includes Susan B. Anthony speaking out for equal rights for woman. The quotation: "Woman has shown equal devotion with man to the cause of freedom. Together, they have made this country what it is. We ask justice, we ask equality, be guaranteed to us and our daughters forever."

Also, in the pre-Civil War sequence, Frederick Douglas cites Harriet Beecher Stowe as being a critical voice in the abolitionist movement. And the World War II section features two women working a double shift in a ship yard (like "Rosie the Riveter").

:love:I love love love American adventure and voices of liberty. It is my favorite part of World showcase.... Until the frozen ride opens

I love American Adventure. I was at DisneyWorld on 9/11 and when Epcot opened the next day this was the first attraction we went to. There wasn't a dry eye in the house that day.

Actually, the scene depicting the celebration of the country's first Centennial includes Susan B. Anthony speaking out for equal rights for woman. The quotation: "Woman has shown equal devotion with man to the cause of freedom. Together, they have made this country what it is. We ask justice, we ask equality, be guaranteed to us and our daughters forever."

Also, in the pre-Civil War sequence, Frederick Douglas cites Harriet Beecher Stowe as being a critical voice in the abolitionist movement. And the World War II section features two women working a double shift in a ship yard (like "Rosie the Riveter").

Well played

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter