Don't skip the American Adventure!

I have the same complaint about the O Canada show. Way too pro-Canada. And the China movie - they focus too much on China in it, which I find unacceptable.

:-)

Those complaints makes me want to say..."Um hello, you are in a pavilion dedicated solely to that country....of course the movie is going to be too pro whatever country you are in", I wouldn't have it any other way. I mean come on, isn't that the whole idea of WS in the first place??? to learn about another country's cultures? Sorry for the rant, you can all carry on with the thread :goodvibes.

I've always enjoyed the music in that since I was a kid. (Big fan of impressions of France herevtoo, so the music must be a big thing for us) The point of it has always seemed to be inspiring and of course with 30 minutes its not like it is meant to be an all inclusive American History lesson. As a kid though, scenes like the ones with Chief Joseph, John Muir and Frederick Douglas really struck me. Critics may say scenes like those glossed over low points in our history but in inspiring a kid to do her own research and learn more I say they can be educational.

The technology is pretty cool though isn't it? Ben Franklin walking up stairs! I'm really hoping my daughter enjoys it as much as I did throughout the years. It still breaks my heart to see a lot of the "slower" slightly more educational attractions dwindling. (Rip horizons/original Imagination)

Those complaints makes me want to say..."Um hello, you are in a pavilion dedicated solely to that country....of course the movie is going to be too pro whatever country you are in", I wouldn't have it any other way. I mean come on, isn't that the whole idea of WS in the first place??? to learn about another country's cultures? Sorry for the rant, you can all carry on with the thread :goodvibes.
I think the poster was just joking in this one. ; )

I have the same complaint about the O Canada show. Way too pro-Canada. And the China movie - they focus too much on China in it, which I find unacceptable. :-)

Right, one cannot expect these theme park shows to get into all the politics, they are essentially commercials for tourism, which is why the governments sponsored the pavilions in the first place. You just can't expect them to get too political. The point of Epcot is to focus on the positive aspects of humanity and I have no problem with that.

The American Adventure is a great show! It's much more entertaining than the Hall of Presidents.

I've stated it over and over that it is the best show ever produced and add to that the fact that it is mechanical and quite complex mechanically, the AA's are great the backgrounds and the story lines are sometimes heart wrenching. I don't understand how the theater isn't always full. I think that many felt like the OP and that there was nothing there to see. Once you see it, it will not be forgotten.

One of the most ridiculous complaints I have ever heard was the it was to pro-American. I'd argue that point because it didn't just cover good things, the Civil War can hardly be considered a bright spot in American history, and it is the American Pavilion after all. Should it just broadcast our mistakes and not put some emphasis on the good things.

LOL, I'm always amused when I hear that, someone actually said that to me at epcot. I mean isn't the object of the pavilion is to introduce visitors to the majesty of each country???

it's like saying the French pavilion needs to show us the guillotine from the French revolution

OP, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. :) The American Adventure wasn't really on my radar but we will definitely make time for it in a few weeks (our second trip to Epcot).

We skipped it the first few times we visited, not thinking there was much to see. When we finally saw it we didn't know how we missed it and we haven't missed it since.

Here is a great post that I usually think about when I enter the pavilion:

http://w.disboards.com/threads/that-one-moment-tissue-alert.2106779/#post-30600890

Wow, that was a beautiful, moving post :sad1:

I've stated it over and over that it is the best show ever produced and add to that the fact that it is mechanical and quite complex mechanically, the AA's are great the backgrounds and the story lines are sometimes heart wrenching. I don't understand how the theater isn't always full. I think that many felt like the OP and that there was nothing there to see. Once you see it, it will not be forgotten.

One of the most ridiculous complaints I have ever heard was the it was to pro-American. I'd argue that point because it didn't just cover good things, the Civil War can hardly be considered a bright spot in American history, and it is the American Pavilion after all. Should it just broadcast our mistakes and not put some emphasis on the good things.

I agree, if you haven't seen it... do so the first chance you get. I doubt you'll be sorry.

What's not to understand? Huge capacity, not enough interested guests. For the majority of repeat visitors, it's BTDT. Or only worthy of a visit every two or three trips.

We have done it a few times over the years. I don't need to see it every trip. The theaters for the France and China movies were quite empty on my Sept trip also, so it is not just the American one that is empty.

I do like the American Adventure, but the ending movie has changed and maybe not for the better. Long gone are the scenes of McArthur returning and other important historical figures that have been replaced by athletes and celebrities. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the show, I will still see it once or twice a trip. I will say the reason American Adventure, France, China, and O Canada are not heavily visited is because they are more for learning about the culture, which is the point of Epcot and the World Showcase. However, society has become so fast paced and having to sit still for 30 minutes to watch a show without being on one's phone is too hard for most. I think the problem is most of society has become too fast paced to enjoy the slower, learning attractions. JMHO

My number 1 must do at Epcot!!

I feel sorry for the people that don't have a 30-minute attention span or can't stay off their d***m phone for that long....

I do like the American Adventure, but the ending movie has changed and maybe not for the better. Long gone are the scenes of McArthur returning and other important historical figures that have been replaced by athletes and celebrities. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the show, I will still see it once or twice a trip. I will say the reason American Adventure, France, China, and O Canada are not heavily visited is because they are more for learning about the culture, which is the point of Epcot and the World Showcase. However, society has become so fast paced and having to sit still for 30 minutes to watch a show without being on one's phone is too hard for most. I think the problem is most of society has become too fast paced to enjoy the slower, learning attractions. JMHO

And some of the celebrities and athletes are a bit controversial, as in, not the best role models - is Lance Armstrong still in there?

It tells a story, not the story, of America. There is no single story of our great nation, and there is no way to make everyone happy.

For our family - we love it!

Exactly - it's the white guy's story.

I think the poster was just joking in this one. ; )

Thank you and sorry about that, that one went straight over my head :rotfl:. To the PP that I originally quoted, that was not in anyways meant towards you, I have been reading too many negative posts and decided to do a mini rant after reading your post, which I hardly ever do...think I will go back to my corner now and people watch :goodvibes.

I dont understand at the end when they show all the great Americans that they include Lance Armstrong in that.

I dont understand at the end when they show all the great Americans that they include Lance Armstrong in that.

Well, it's an old video. I do wish they would update it a bit. Seeing him usually elicits laughter from the audience.

The American Adventure show is one of my favorite attractions in World Showcase. We see it every trip and the song at the end always makes me tear up a little bit. I think it is highly overlooked, but it is fabulous!

And some of the celebrities and athletes are a bit controversial, as in, not the best role models - is Lance Armstrong still in there?

Exactly - it's the white guy's story.

OMG this. Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, men men men men and more men with a slight glimpse of Rosa Parks. The whole thing virtually ignores half the population. My two daughters and I were not thrilled with this, to say the least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter