Done with DCL

You even said yourself in a pp that Disney World was a unique experience compared to other park competitors! :sad2: Hmm yet you are going to argue with everyone that DCL somehow does not fit in with the same context of your own definition. Then exactly how is Disney World unique compared to universal. You do not make any sense.
It's actually quite simple. The product that Disney offers in the theme park market is quite unique. The only thing that comes close is Universal Orlando. The product that Disney offers in the cruise ship market is not unique. (And yes, the definition of unique matters here.) Disney does not go to different ports than other cruise lines. Its dining venues and offerings are not substantially different from other cruise lines. It has kid's programs. So do other cruise lines. It shows movies. So do other cruise lines. It has character meet and greets. So do other cruise lines. It has specialty restaurants. So do other cruise lines. If you book a 7 day cruise that goes to St. Thomas and St. Maarten and Nassau on DCL or on any other cruise line, you go to the same ports and take the same excursions no matter which cruise line you choose. There are far more similarities between DCL and its competitors than there are between WDW and its competitors. You seem to conclude that if one finds WDW to be unique, then one must find DCL to be unique but that simply does not follow. They are two different entities in two different markets. The fact that Cruise Critic has voted RCCL to be the best cruise line for families should pretty much end the debate that DCL has everyone else boxed out. It doesn't matter if you agree with that assessment. Even if you still put DCL at #1 (and there is good reason to think that way), it cannot be denied that DCL has stiff competition breathing down its neck. That, in and of itself dispels the notion of uniqueness. DCL might be viewed as "better". But "better" is not a synonym for "unique". Unique implies that no one does what DCL does. But given the similarities in the cruising formula (ports of call, dining in MDRs, having specialty restaurants, having kid's clubs, having movies, having stage shows), the DCL product isn't unique. You might prefer the Disney spin on all of these things. But that simply makes DCL "preferable" rather than unique. Why isn't that enough? Isn't "better" or "preferable" a proud enough banner to carry?

Value is very subjective and personal.

Exactly. So...you talk about GF vs Pop...I really liked Pop! Touring GF was interesting, but I have no interest in staying there. The value just isn't there for me.

If you are fine with a smaller room then you can certainly save money with RCCL vs DCL.

FWIW I haven't noticed any difference in size. With ships, it's all about the use of space, and the space is used equally well IMO in the rooms we've stayed in.

No other cruise line has Mickey Mouse and Tarzan and Daisy and Goofy and two dozen other characters walking around the ship and in shows. No other cruise line in the world shows pre-release and first run Disney movies in their theaters. No other cruise line has ice cream bars shaped like Mickey Mouse. No other cruise line in the world has ships the colors of Mickey Mouse. No other cruise line in the world has Nemo come and talk to you and interact with your and other passengers at dinner.

:) You've literally just listed nearly everything my family could NOT care less about.

The colors of MM on a ship? This is something for me to be excited about? (I far prefer the clean white aesthetics of the Royal ships)

I've never seen characters just walking around on the ship. (on Royal's Freedom Dreamworks cruise, yes, but not on Disney Dream) Maybe it's a Dream thing, but Nemo hasn't ever come and talked to anyone around us (even when concierge we have not been placed at a table where we would have interaction); it's been Crush. And even then, holy moly I do not care. It's a chaotic, bright, noisy environment and the pictures don't come out right of the food b/c the lighting in there is weird.

DS and DH find value in watching a movie while paying scads for a cruise, but to me it's nearly the biggest waste of time and money I can think of.

Ice cream bars with corn syrup, which turns my son and husband into horrid beasts (something about turning corn into a syrup jacks up the blood sugar like crazy and they become MOST unpleasant). I've had them, they are American-sweet-weird-ingredient tasty, but they aren't something *special*. They're just cheap-ingredient ice cream with chocolate on them.

Aside from these very tangible unique things, the entire atmosphere on a Disney ship is different. It a combination of the crew, the colors of the carpet, the decorations and statues, the pats of butter at dinner and the waffles at breakfast shaped like Mickey, the art throughout the ship, the characters walking around everywhere and most importantly the energy and excitement of little girls walking around dressed up like Belle anxiously waiting for their turn to meet her in person!

Seriously. Butter? That's something worth paying more for? Mickey waffles taste the same as normal waffles.

Having to sidestep all the Belles hopped up on corn syrup solids from the free soft serve, when DCL can't seem to put lines/stanchions up to let people know where the lines are? Nah.

You seem to be looking at cruise ship like a city bus and a hotel.....a mode of transportation to get you from A to B and a hotel to sleep at night.

Yes, that's what many of us see a cruise as being. A cool way of getting somewhere. Exactly. If I wanted Disneyland/world on the seas, then DCL is it. But I am also paying for port fees and diesel *to take me places*, and I want to go to those places. And other lines take me to those places, without extra stuff that we don't really care about. :)

if it was not unique, people would not pay 2x or 3x as much.

If it were not *perceived* as being unique, as worth extra, then people would not pay that much more.

What I hate to see is so many people using the price they find because the week the want to sail or the category they want to sail is cheaper on one vs another so they feel the whole Disney cruise line is no longer a value for anyone else and how evil DCL is now.

But people look at the cruises at the time they can go. Why would one look at another date?

I'm sitting around on costcotravel.com, looking at the "same" cruise next year that we took last year, and looking at the same cruise in 2017 that we took in 2013, and it's painful. I'm not cherrypicking other than "those are the cruises I want to compare", and those cruises are at times we traditionally could go. That's why I'm looking at them.

2013's cruise is now $355 more *per night*. We have cruised category V since then, and I promise you the experience went *down* between 2/2013 and 10/2014. It's not worth any more per night, let alone that much. The October 2014 cruise is now $437 more per night in 2016. Ugh. Not worth it!

I mean, I'd like to hit Gold (it's the collector in me), which means one more cruise, and I imagine DS would like to maybe *see* the Star Wars stuff before he ages out of the club/lab, but then again, I personally don't like doing "once in a lifetime" things, and I feel that it might be cruel for him, to have just the ONE experience (and am I reading things wrong or is the supercool part over in the Club, not the Lab? which is just odd to have it there b/c that's the younger part of the area, and he avoids the Club b/c of the small children underfoot that he does NOT want to squish, having been a 3 year old who got squashed by a big kid at California Adventure). So it's a question. I'm NOT going to go on a cruise I don't find to be a value, though, that's for sure.

And I should mention that I'm comparing almost new prices to prices of cruises that in the past we booked way after the release dates. heck, we upgraded to concierge that first cruise at about 95 days out, so it certainly wasn't "just released" pricing. Just makes it even worse, IMO.

Oh I think my kids would enjoy other lines if we cruised in the Summer when other kids were onboard. Our Hawaii cruise had 30 kids in the Edge, and my kids said the Edge wasn't as fun as other cruises with more kids. We have a TA booked for next year and there will probably be fewer kids, but a TA on any other line there would more likely be no kids. I remember on our Magic cruise in Feb. we were docked next to celebrity and I didn't see one kid on that ship. It's definitely a deciding factor right now in staying with DCL. If my kids are bored it's not going to be a fun cruise for mom and dad.

We just sailed an 11 night Alaska cruise on Celebrity off season (September). Before the cruise i was really worried about the lack of kids on board. It turns out there were 20, and only about 6-8 kids between the ages of 5-12. But my kids loved it because they made a couple really good friends, and got a tremendous amount of attention from the counselors. They spent more time in the clubs than they do on Disney (although I had to pay extra for them to be able to use the clubs all day).

I chose X over DCL for that cruise because it was a longer and cheaper cruise. I also recently canceled our DCL Med 2016 cruise in favor of RCCL-- again, longer and cheaper. But I still really love DCL and have nothing negative to say about the product ---I just can't afford some of the newer prices, and generally I prefer a longer cruise. But just because I am "jumping ship" I still think DCL is a fantastic cruise line. I don't feel a need to bash DCL or berate the product. Just, to me, it is becoming too expensive and so I am looking at other options.

I never understood why people come to a Disney Cruise Line forum to talk about how overpriced they are and how they think other cruise lines are better or just as good but cheaper.

There are a lot of first time cruisers here that just paid a lot of money for a cruise and the last thing they want is to feel like they are foolish for wasting all that money for stuff that doesn't matter like the decor, characters, movies ice cream Mickeys and butter knives shaped like a paintbrush in Animators Palet. Any one of these things is meaningless but all combined and they creat an atmosphere. You either get it or you don't.

It's actually quite simple. The product that Disney offers in the theme park market is quite unique. The only thing that comes close is Universal Orlando. The product that Disney offers in the cruise ship market is not unique. (And yes, the definition of unique matters here.) Disney does not go to different ports than other cruise lines. Its dining venues and offerings are not substantially different from other cruise lines. It has kid's programs. So do other cruise lines. It shows movies. So do other cruise lines. It has character meet and greets. So do other cruise lines. It has specialty restaurants. So do other cruise lines. If you book a 7 day cruise that goes to St. Thomas and St. Maarten and Nassau on DCL or on any other cruise line, you go to the same ports and take the same excursions no matter which cruise line you choose. There are far more similarities between DCL and its competitors than there are between WDW and its competitors. You seem to conclude that if one finds WDW to be unique, then one must find DCL to be unique but that simply does not follow. They are two different entities in two different markets. The fact that Cruise Critic has voted RCCL to be the best cruise line for families should pretty much end the debate that DCL has everyone else boxed out. It doesn't matter if you agree with that assessment. Even if you still put DCL at #1 (and there is good reason to think that way), it cannot be denied that DCL has stiff competition breathing down its neck. That, in and of itself dispels the notion of uniqueness. DCL might be viewed as "better". But "better" is not a synonym for "unique". Unique implies that no one does what DCL does. But given the similarities in the cruising formula (ports of call, dining in MDRs, having specialty restaurants, having kid's clubs, having movies, having stage shows), the DCL product isn't unique. You might prefer the Disney spin on all of these things. But that simply makes DCL "preferable" rather than unique. Why isn't that enough? Isn't "better" or "preferable" a proud enough banner to carry?

No other cruise line in the world shows pre-release and first run movies. This is unique to DCL. You will never see a movie on a cruise ship before it comes out in theaters on any cruise line except DCL.

No other cruise line in the world shows pre-release and first run movies. This is unique to DCL. You will never see a movie on a cruise ship before it comes out in theaters on any cruise line except DCL.

When does DCL show movies before they are released? It was my understanding that they are shown at midnight ON release date--although I have small kids, so I don't get to take advantage of those. And I've watched first-run movies on Carnival. They show them on the pool jumbo screen. Don't get me wrong, my family LOVES watching new movies on DCL, but they also love watching them on our Carnival cruises, out by the pool with blankets to snuggle under (oh, and free popcorn...which DCL doesn't offer).

I never understood why people come to a Disney Cruise Line forum to talk about how overpriced they are and how they think other cruise lines are better or just as good but cheaper.

There are a lot of first time cruisers here that just paid a lot of money for a cruise and the last thing they want is to feel like they are foolish for wasting all that money for stuff that doesn't matter like the decor, characters, movies ice cream Mickeys and butter knives shaped like a paintbrush in Animators Palet. Any one of these things is meaningless but all combined and they creat an atmosphere. You either get it or you don't.

I have been on the boards for quite a while now and have joined in many discussions, helped out newbies, and been a cheerleader for DCL. So I have put in my time here, and I feel it is ok to post that we are no longer going on DCL because it is no longer a good value for my family.

I pointed out reasons service declining over the years we have sailed, perks disappearing, and a loyalty program that doesn't impress us. I got it for a lot of years and money, but now don't get the value. Not bashing DCL either, just pointing out observations that we have witnessed.

What are we supposed to do just leave the boards? A forum should be a place to talk about the great aspects of DCL, there are many, and the not so great aspects too. Someone researching their first cruise may find the information that DCL is more expensive valuable information for their family and choose to cruise another line because it fits their budget better.

While I do agree with you that we have a lot of very special memories from DCL, I am sure we would have a similar moment on another line, we always have at least one or two special moments on each vacation we take:) You also need to realize that not everyone sees Disney as a special thing, we don't, But have been very loyal to this point.

i never understood why people come to a disney cruise line thread to talk about how they feel the thread should go and how they feel the thread could be better if it was about something else. and i'm being serious, i have never understood that.
its a forum, its for talking all aspects. not just the good, not just the bad. if you find this thread is not to your taste don't read it. as to first time cruisers, they should hear it all. they can make an informed decision. i think that is a good thing but thats just me.

When does DCL show movies before they are released? It was my understanding that they are shown at midnight ON release date--although I have small kids, so I don't get to take advantage of those. And I've watched first-run movies on Carnival. They show them on the pool jumbo screen. Don't get me wrong, my family LOVES watching new movies on DCL, but they also love watching them on our Carnival cruises, out by the pool with blankets to snuggle under (oh, and free popcorn...which DCL doesn't offer).

In movie lingo a first run movie is one that is within about 2 weeks of being released. I seriously doubt any cruise line can show movies that are newly released and still in theaters.

I am almost certain we saw Prince of Pershia and Toy Story 3 in the Med and the Baltic seas before they were released. Maybe it was the day of release? Doesn't matter, you won't experience this on any cruise line except DCL.

Free popcorn? Cool. But you had to pay for you Coke right? :-(

I have been on the boards for quite a while now and have joined in many discussions, helped out newbies, and been a cheerleader for DCL. So I have put in my time here, and I feel it is ok to post that we are no longer going on DCL because it is no longer a good value for my family.

I pointed out reasons service declining over the years we have sailed, perks disappearing, and a loyalty program that doesn't impress us. I got it for a lot of years and money, but now don't get the value. Not bashing DCL either, just pointing out observations that we have witnessed.

What are we supposed to do just leave the boards? A forum should be a place to talk about the great aspects of DCL, there are many, and the not so great aspects too. Someone researching their first cruise may find the information that DCL is more expensive valuable information for their family and choose to cruise another line because it fits their budget better.

While I do agree with you that we have a lot of very special memories from DCL, I am sure we would have a similar moment on another line, we always have at least one or two special moments on each vacation we take:) You also need to realize that not everyone sees Disney as a special thing, we don't, But have been very loyal to this point.

I agree with Cgolf. We are just of our 12th Disney cruise and have noticed an erosion of the things we used to love about DCL

My experiences are that cast members used to go out of their way to make sure the customer was happy, now the cast members are "required" to try and make the customer happy. It just doesn't seem as genuine anymore. We had a very minor problem on this last cruise (laundry machine issue) and the Guest Services called several times over 2 days to see that it was resolved, yet we had a child injured by a bump to the head on a 3D object on the wall, and he was given a band aid and sent on his way and told to change his shirt because there was blood on it.

There are more rules, policies, and procedures, and the cast members are afraid to inject any individual thought. Example, I went to pick up my 2 kids at the kids club and was told I was not allowed in because a friend we were travelling with had already entered and said he would be checking out my 2 boys. I explained that I was their father and wanted to enter.......this got escalated to supervisor.

I still like DCL but after every cruise I question whether the difference in price from other cruise lines is worth it. I am almost at the breaking point and will not pay more.....as I said, IN MY OPINION the level of service and quality of the product is eroding and will soon be on par with Carnival, NCL, and RCCL. I have sailed on both Carnival and NCL (also Princess and HAL), never RCCL.

For those that are almost there money wise, love Disney but need to save a few more bucks there are lots of ways to save. Lets take for example you are 2 adults looking to sail Disney Fantasy Feb 25th 2017. A standard Balcony is going to cost you $3342.70. You have a place holder that brings the price down to $3008.43 You open a Disney Vacation Account and buy $3000 dollars worth of Disney Gift Cards from from Target with your red card, or you go to Sam’s Club and do the same thing place them and place them into your account, total cost to you is $2850. Now your cruise costs you $2858.43 and since you used your OBB and have a good TA you have $350 dollars OBC and a $60 Disney Gift Card from your Vacation Account.

Or you can sail the same itinerary the same week for $2732.12 in a standard ocean view verandah on RCCL Allure of the seas with whatever specials you can get (TA , RCCL or wherever)

Cost in difference is $126.31 in RCCL’s favor, So I will be on Disney since I am willing to pay that much more for the cruise. (and have not found a deal that nets you $410 dollars to spend on the cruise at the price point you would be paying)

If you decide to sail the Disney Fantasy Feb 25th be sure to check out the meet up thread I have started for that cruise. I hope to see you guys there it’s going to be a blast.

This January will most likely be our last DCL cruise too. The prices are getting out of control and we will look at non-Disney land based vacations or other cruise lines in the future. We have done 3 longer cruises that we felt were a good value when we booked but even those are becoming over priced in my opinion.

For those that are almost there money wise, love Disney but need to save a few more bucks there are lots of ways to save. Lets take for example you are 2 adults looking to sail Disney Fantasy Feb 25th 2017. A standard Balcony is going to cost you $3342.70. You have a place holder that brings the price down to $3008.43 You open a Disney Vacation Account and buy $3000 dollars worth of Disney Gift Cards from from Target with your red card, or you go to Sam’s Club and do the same thing place them and place them into your account, total cost to you is $2850. Now your cruise costs you $2858.43 and since you used your OBB and have a good TA you have $350 dollars OBC and a $60 Disney Gift Card from your Vacation Account.

Or you can sail the same itinerary the same week for $2732.12 in a standard ocean view verandah on RCCL Allure of the seas with whatever specials you can get (TA , RCCL or wherever)

Cost in difference is $126.31 in RCCL’s favor, So I will be on Disney since I am willing to pay that much more for the cruise. (and have not found a deal that nets you $410 dollars to spend on the cruise at the price point you would be paying)

If you decide to sail the Disney Fantasy Feb 25th be sure to check out the meet up thread I have started for that cruise. I hope to see you guys there it’s going to be a blast.

If you buy your Target gift cards on Raise.com you'll save another 6-12 percent. Suddenly that Disney cruise is less than the RCCL cruise.

Add to that the fact that Disney staterooms are 50% larger than the competitor's and they exclusively offer split baths and there is simply no comparison.

I've been shopping similar itineraries on DCL, NCL and RCCl and cannot find a cost savings that would justify sailing any other cruise line than DCL.

For comparison sake we sail about every two years in category 4 staterooms in the off season.

Martin

theres a few things I would consider with this that I feel may not be as helpful as you suggest. the first being you only get the 10% off the price of the cruise, not port fees and taxes. I could be wrong but did you include that? second, being Canadian, getting the gift cards to save money is not really an option. we no longer have targets and even when we did they did not sell Disney cards. also, while the cost may still look good to some, our dollar is at about $1.33 to the u.s. meaning we need to add 33% more to the cost of the cruise. not cheap at all. I can book with other lines in Canadian funds and that makes it way way cheaper.
for example, I can book the oasis leaving feb 26, 2017, in a Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony, 232 sq ft compared to the dcl sailing of 241 sq ft (I think) for 2A $2503 CANADIAN. so dcl, with exchange rate, using your numbers with your discounts ($2850 X $1.33) I will pay $3790 Canadian where as the oasis is, as noted above, $2503. I will save $1287. before anyone starts talking about having to pay for soda, that would cost me about $110 so I don't even think that's worth mentioning.
thank you for your ideas though, i'm sure it will help some. :flower3:

If you buy your Target gift cards on Raise.com you'll save another 6-12 percent. Suddenly that Disney cruise is less than the RCCL cruise.

Add to that the fact that Disney staterooms are 50% larger than the competitor's and they exclusively offer split baths and there is simply no comparison.

I've been shopping similar itineraries on DCL, NCL and RCCl and cannot find a cost savings that would justify sailing any other cruise line than DCL.

For comparison sake we sail about every two years in category 4 staterooms in the off season.

Martin

i live on buying raise and such. But as others have said..i can only sail Easter break or summer. DW is a full time teacher, so easter cruise it is. We enjoy because it's not crazy crowded like the parks. As i stated earlier...our original Disney Fantasy Easter Break in 2014 was $7200 for Cat v. IN 2016 we are sailing Disney Fantasy in a Cat 7A for $7200. IN 2017 it would be $7200 for a Category 9a. over $13,000 for Cat v and $8400 for CAt 7a. Trust me i do raise and save 10-11% as often as i can. but that's not going to save me into sailing if i have to keep downsizing cabins. I"m sailing RCI on Easter size equivalent to probalby a 5a for $5110.

i live on buying raise and such. But as others have said..i can only sail Easter break or summer. DW is a full time teacher, so easter cruise it is. We enjoy because it's not crazy crowded like the parks. As i stated earlier...our original Disney Fantasy Easter Break in 2014 was $7200 for Cat v. IN 2016 we are sailing Disney Fantasy in a Cat 7A for $7200. IN 2017 it would be $7200 for a Category 9a. over $13,000 for Cat v and $8400 for CAt 7a. Trust me i do raise and save 10-11% as often as i can. but that's not going to save me into sailing if i have to keep downsizing cabins. I"m sailing RCI on Easter size equivalent to probalby a 5a for $5110.

What is crazy about the increases is that they are doing this during a very soft worldwide economy. It's not like everyone's salaries are keeping pace with the increases.

What is crazy about the increases is that they are doing this during a very soft worldwide economy. It's not like everyone's salaries are keeping pace with the increases.

Disney understands supply and demand. I mentioned in another thread that on our cruise last month there seemed to be a lot on non-Americans sailing. This includes people flying in from Europe and Asia to cruise. There are millions of rich people in the world and evidently Disney feels the make more money by increasing prices. Might mean more people from Norway sailing than North Dakota but they know what they are doing.

Also, they can always lower prices. I would guess they have a curve showing the typical selling of room and how the ship fills up as they get closer to the sailing date. If they are running ahead the bump up the prices. If they are behind they lower prices. Airlines do the same thing.....except they change their prices daily!

Disney understands supply and demand. I mentioned in another thread that on our cruise last month there seemed to be a lot on non-Americans sailing. This includes people flying in from Europe and Asia to cruise. There are millions of rich people in the world and evidently Disney feels the make more money by increasing prices. Might mean more people from Norway sailing than North Dakota but they know what they are doing.

Also, they can always lower prices. I would guess they have a curve showing the typical selling of room and how the ship fills up as they get closer to the sailing date. If they are running ahead the bump up the prices. If they are behind they lower prices. Airlines do the same thing.....except they change their prices daily!

Agree that Disney has gotten this in the past, but there is a danger in continuoly raising their prices. While they are filling the ships now, they are losing loyal guests like us that will have done 12 cruises in 9 years. There is a good chance if we try and like another line we may never be back to DCL even if they bring their prices back to being more inline with other cruise lines in their category. I will say when we sat in the gold/platinum receptions I wanted to be one to say we had been on 20 plus DCL cruises, not anymore.

So if DCL hits the price ceiling and has to fall back to recapture their previously loyal base, I am guessing that a lot of them won't be there, having moved on to other lines. Eventually they will also run out of first time Disney fans that want to try a cruise. I have also talked with some coworkers that will no longer travel to Disney World because of the price increases.

theres a few things I would consider with this that I feel may not be as helpful as you suggest. the first being you only get the 10% off the price of the cruise, not port fees and taxes. I could be wrong but did you include that? second, being Canadian, getting the gift cards to save money is not really an option. we no longer have targets and even when we did they did not sell Disney cards. also, while the cost may still look good to some, our dollar is at about $1.33 to the u.s. meaning we need to add 33% more to the cost of the cruise. not cheap at all. I can book with other lines in Canadian funds and that makes it way way cheaper.

I did reduce the taxes and port fees, the taxes would reduce by 10% but not the poet fees. How much of the $195.00 is taxes vs port fess I do not know but the taxes go down by 10% as a result of the lower price. Also You can always buy Disney Gift Cards on Target.com with your red card.
Also everyone keeps mentioning that they live in Canada and need to add 33% more to the cost, Is this not the case with RCCL too?

So looking at the conversion rate you give, the Disney cruise (without a reduction in port fees or taxes) is a difference of C$187.94 in RCCL favor but comes with C$543 to spend on the ship. This to me is still a better deal than sailing RCCL in terms of just cost (since value is subjective as we have learned on this thread) Also you compare the Oasis the same week. Problem is they are sailing the western and for whatever reason western sailings are always cheaper than eastern ones. Since we just did a western we are looking for an eastern hence the the comparisons that week. I picked the ship I did because it’s the same week sailing the same itinerary. Also the Oasis is always cheaper to sail on providing they are going where you want the the week you want, that is the advantage of having more than 4 ships in the caribbean that time off year.

If you buy your Target gift cards on Raise.com you'll save another 6-12 percent.

This strategy might work if you can get the Target Cards for 6% or more of less the cost, I do know that the 5% is only for the Target Red Card so you can’t combine them.

*** I stand corrected as I found out tonight this strategy does work, thats another 6%, YEA!!!***

Last edited:
Agree that Disney has gotten this in the past, but there is a danger in continuoly raising their prices. While they are filling the ships now, they are losing loyal guests like us that will have done 12 cruises in 9 years. There is a good chance if we try and like another line we may never be back to DCL even if they bring their prices back to being more inline with other cruise lines in their category. I will say when we sat in the gold/platinum receptions I wanted to be one to say we had been on 20 plus DCL cruises, not anymore.

So if DCL hits the price ceiling and has to fall back to recapture their previously loyal base, I am guessing that a lot of them won't be there, having moved on to other lines. Eventually they will also run out of first time Disney fans that want to try a cruise. I have also talked with some coworkers that will no longer travel to Disney World because of the price increases.

I don't think repeat cruisers is a big percentage. On almost every cruise on the first night the cruise director will ask how many people have sailed with Disney previously and maybe 10% will raise their hands. And among those people there are many form whom cost doesn't matter.

Disney is a well run business. They study trends and they know the market and they have professional business who do nothing but analyze data (real data not my 'about 10%' guess) and set prices. It's what they do for a living....2,000+ hours a year they study data and set prices based on profit margins and corporate goals and 3 dozen other parameters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter