Donald's Defiant Dashers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week could not possibly take any longer. :sad:

Bags are packed, wheels are supposed to leave ground at 7:30 tomorrow morning:cool1:. READY TO GO!!

I didn't get my Magic Express stuff, though, looks like I will be delayed another 15 minutes at the counter. I'm not sure what happened, I reserved ME in April when I booked the trip. It will probably be in the mail tomorrow. :confused3

I keep seeing all the cool merchandise that will be available on October 1st for Epcots 30th, I wish my AP didn't expire on the 30th :(. Maybe some of that stuff will be at the Disney Park shop online.

Have a good weekend everyone, I will try to post pictures on Face Book.

Joe

Good luck to all of you TOT'ers! Have a great race. :)

16 on tap for tomorrow. Oh boy, I can't wait! hehehe

I ran 8 miles this morning and thought about the ToT Ducks on most of my run. Lucky Ducks!

Have a GREAT time in WDW, and most importantly, have a fun race! Yay Ducks! :banana:

Hi Ducks! Just back from a great stay at WDW! The ToT was a nice run, though the temps were warmer than I expected. It was much better organized than the last ToT run I did, which had no corrals at all. The only complaint was minor, the funneling at the start from a three (or four) lane road down to one under the bridge. Spent some time with Joe and Deb grazing at W&D, and they had a nice surprise with a sneak peek at the new Fantasyland. Run went well, a little slower than my last 10 miler, though that was here in January when it was 40 degrees cooler. Though I misjudged my eating and did not feel well about an hour after the run while standing in line for a photo with Darth Vader. But some food helped. And my legs feel much better than they did after the Half.

Good Luck to those running at the W&D, and see you in January!

Hey Ducks!

I'm on the boat at Epcot on the way to Soarin. Thought I'd pop by to say HI! ToT was Not and humid. I had monster calf cramps after the run. It was pretty well organized and we did have fun. I finished at 1:52. Slower than I wanted but with the heat, I'll take it! Not on to Marathon weekend!!!

Hey everyone,
Back to the grind today. We had a great time over the weekend. Debbie and I had fun hanging out with Augie on Friday trying out some food and partaking in a couple adult beverages at Food & Wine. I was able to pick up some Epcot 30th pins. Anyone going to Food & Wine and has a Chase credit card, go to the F&W showplace to the Ghiradelli Chocolate location, the Chase Lounge is back there. It is a place to relax, recharge your phone, get a free coke and they will give you a VIP seating wrist band for the days Eat to the Beat concert. We had seating for the 8:00 night ranger, but missed it. Saturday we went to MK at opening and pretty much walked on to all of the rides. We had a nice lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern and as we were ready to leave we got the opportunity to go behind the construction walls in Fantasyland :cool1:.
We got to preview Enchanted Tales with Belle. Maurice's cottage has a lot of cool details, you will spend a lot of time exploring the area wile in line. I won't ruin it for anyone, but it is very cool. I have some pictures on my FB page.
Saturday night I met up with other WISHER's and finally got to meet Tricia & Karen. Jeni, I can't remember if you were there by the information tent. I was in coral A and Debbie was in B. I offered to start in B with here, but she told me I should take advantage of starting in A, I might not get that chance again :rolleyes:. The start was kind of weird, we got in our corals then made the long walk to the starting line. The course was mostly on the roads, the bad part was a couple on ramps that were on an angle, that made running a little tough. The part through WWoS was nice with a run through the warning track at the baseball stadium. They had a few villains out on the course and I stopped for the hyenas from Lion King, but it was so dark I knew my iphone wouldn't take good pictures, so I just kept running. This was probably the most humid I have ever done, I was soaked from head to toe by the time I finished. I was pretty wore out the last mile and finished at 1:50. Debbie and I were able to take part in the after party, we managed to stay until 3:30 am.
I am taking a couple of days off from running then getting back on the trail, I have the Detroit Half in 3 weeks. Then I need to knuckle down and get the miles in for hte January full.
Have a good week, Ducks.
Joe

Good job fellow Ducks! I heard it was a quite crowded route in the beginning.

Oh the humidity! My friends live in Honduras 9 mos. of the year, including summer. In fact, they just came back to the US on Sept. 24, then arrived at WDW on Sept. 27. So my friend who ran the race said even with training in Honduras all summer long, in the mountains/rain forest, he's never had humidity like it was the night of the race!! He also stayed until 3:30 and said he was surprised it was as crowded as it was. Oh well. It's likely his first and last Disney race and he had fun anyway.

I am back and survived! My pace really suffered as it was so humid and hot and I was just too uncomfortable to really push. I took two long walking breaks for about 10 minutes just to cool down and that pushed my time back. I finished in 2:18. I had hoped to finish around the 2 hour mark; that's what I had been training for. And the parts that I ran I ran well. Those walk breaks kept me from falling on my face. Regardless, it was my longest race to date and I finished! Went to bed in rough shape that night but woke up feeling fine.

Oh, I also did the 5k in the morning at 7am - then went to MK for the day. Tried to nap but couldn't. I was pretty sleepy while waiting in the corral. I suspect if I had had an easier day with more sleep I would have run a bit faster, too. We left Toronto at 1:30 am on Friday morning and so spent pretty much the whole weekend with a sleep deficit. So while my time wasn't great, my endurance was FABULOUS :lmao:

I brought home a cold as a souvenir, so just ran a really quick little run with my Learn to Run group that I am pacing on Monday. Today I need to get out for either a run or a good bike ride. Not sure. Cold is still pretty present.

Hey Everyone!

Congrats to all the TOT runners! Wish I could have been right there with you!

I haven't been running much lately, unfortunately. My wife, who is pregnant with twins, went into the hospital for a non stress test last week and it got pretty crazy. They kept her for five days, almost delivered the babies twice, and then sent her home on Tuesday on strict bed rest until she delivers. We also have a 22 month old, so life is pretty crazy right now! Hoping I can get out a couple of times this week!

Hope everyone is having a great week and training runs are going well!

Quack!

How is everyone doing this week? I got in a 11 mile run this afternoon. I am a little behind on my January marathon training, but I feel good. Debbie and I are signed up for the 5k during marathon weekend and signed up for a Wicked Halloween 10k on October 28. I'm looking forward to the Detroit half marathon in 2 weeks. We are staying at the MGM Grand hotel in downtown Detroit Saturday night, so I can walk over to the start on Sunday morning. I will give you a full report once I get done.
Have a good week, Ducks!
Joe

Good Morning!

Phil - Best wishes to you and your family. Praying everything goes well with the twins.

Joe - Good luck in Detroit! Looking forward to the report.

Glad to hear I was not the only one thrown by the weather at the ToT. It wasn't my intention, but I took the whole week off after the race. We were in WDW until Friday, then spent the weekend recovering. DH managed to get in a 5K around the Boardwalk on Wednesday. I just could not muster the strength to run. I told myself that I was walking and pushing a stroller all day, so that counts for something, right?!?

The family had a great trip. We were in Epcot for the 30th anniversary on Oct. 1st and I have the commemorative pin to prove it! The Voices of Liberty did a special show. Awesome. (They are my favorite thing in EPCOT. Yes, I'm an EPCOT nerd.) The fireworks show after Illuminations was great. Got my caramel apple fix in too! Did Not-So-Scary with the kids and they had a blast. DD rocked the Merida wig all night despite the heat.

Back to the grind this week. I can't believe the Marathon is only three months away. :cheer2::confused3 We got an up close look at the Marathon medal at the expo and it is really impresssive. It's bigger than I thought it would be. After the ToT, DH and I had a come to Jesus talk about our plans to run 20 of the 26 miles at a 10:00 pace. I think we are going to have to tweak the plan. I'd rather take longer to finish than drop dead at mile 20. Hopefully, we can re-work a run/walk plan while training. Good news is that Fall has finally found Louisiana and I'm actually looking forward to running now.

Good luck to everyone this week!
Jeni

Since the ToT race I have been sidelined with knee pain and swelling. Seeing a sports MD on Wednesday to dx it. I have had FP/runners knee before, just hoping it is nothing more serious. Haven't run a longish run since Wednesday and while a little better, it is still stiff and swollen and a little sore when I am up and about for a long time. Not feeling great about this.

My first half-marathon is next Sunday. I really wish my knee were feeling better as I have been training since February for these races coming up. Oh well, what can I do? Icing it, resting it, elevating it, taking an NSAID and rolling it. I don't think it is anything too serious, but dang...

I miss running!

It's been too long since I've been over here!

Back in August when I went to the doctor, she told me to stay off it, go to physical therapy, use ice and take Alleve. Long story short, it never got better! I went back to the doctor about two weeks ago and she basically said it's just something I'm going to have to deal with, but to stay off it for a few more weeks.

Thursday morning I started getting what I thought was a bad cramp in my leg. I showed my mom after school and since it was red and warm to the touch, she thought it could be a blood clot, so we went to the doctor again. Not a blood clot but an infection in my lower leg!

Basically, I've been out of gym, dance and running for almost 10 weeks. If I ever get over all this nonsense, my best friend and I are going to walk a 10k at the end of November called the Turkey Trot.

Hope all is well for everyone else! :donald:

Hi Ducks - Made the decision last week to start following the training program for the Princess Half! I just ran 40 minutes on the treadmill for Week 2/Day 1 and it was pretty easy. :thumbsup2

However, I have to say that I haven't decided whether I will actually run the Princess Half or run another HM closer to home. Without getting into too much detail, we have a ski trip and a Disney trip planned in the next 6 months... as well as some bathroom remodeling and a new car that need to be paid for. As they say, when it rains it pours! So I am going to have to play the Princess by ear. Fingers crossed! One of these days I will get down there to meet up with some of you Ducks! :donald:

Congrats to all who ran the ToT! And best of luck to those training for the Goofy - you are my heroes! :worship:

What does a Duck sound like when it's shivering?? Brrrrr it was chilly out there this morning! And it was misting. I had on a long sleeve top and capris. I was wishing I had on gloves and my ear warmer. My ears were hurting after a mile. I love it (the cool weather, not the hurting ears. lol) but, wow, it was a shock to the system!

My next long run of 17 miles is this weekend!

Congrats to the ToT finishers! :) Sounds like it was a tough race with that hot and humid weather! That might be a race remembered for tough weather just like the freezing marathon weekend in 2010.

Phil~I hope things are going ok with your wife and the wee ones! It sure is a crazy time for you, hang in there and keep us posted!! :goodvibes

Jeni~Cool that you got a look at the marathon medal. I'm glad it's bigger than you thought, I thought it looked smallish in the pics. Not that I really care, I just WANT IT. :)

Carolynn~I'm sorry about the knee. :( Injuries are SO frustrating, I know. If I've learned anything from all of mine, it's that resting is more important than getting in more miles before a race. You can get the distance done...it's more mental than physical.

Duckling~Yikes on the leg infection! :( You take care of yourself and let it heal so you can start back up healthy!

Robyn~That's great you've started a training program..whether it's for Princess or somewhere else, it's all good! :thumbsup2

Hello Ducks,

Been out of touch for a bit. Completed the TOT in 2:32 with a 15 min mile pace. First time (3rd event) I did the whole thing without any bathroom or stretching breaks! A bit dissapointed with little entertainment along the way but I do realize it was late in the evening. Skipped the party I couldn't see with the crowds that I would even be able to get on one ride.

Looking forward to Half in January
Booked into POR for the 10th. Planning on meeting ducks at Saratoga Springs for dinner Saturday the 12th. Unless something has changed I'm open to any dining location.

Have a great weekend. Temps cooling now a bit here in N. FLA

Thanks Liz - got some professional help today and starting to feel more optimistic. I am reminding myself that I have steadily built up my base starting in February and I got this...

Wearing a new brace and crossing my fingers! I hope to report back that I am officially a Half-marathon finisher on Sunday!

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of doing the pasta in the park party for the Marathon weekend.
Not too bad price wise. Question for anyone that has done this in the past. Can you enter the park at 4PM like other Disney "parties" ??

Thanks,
Colleen

Me too, Colleen. Looking at it as a cheap way to get some park time in, and compared to some buffets, not too bad.

---------

Very happy to report that I have officially beaten obesity! My BMI is now 29 and gosh I feel good. That is all. :cool1:

---------

Tomorrow is my first half-marathon. Excited and worried. It is so cold this morning, just above freezing!!! Summer was just here... Well, at least we get 4 seasons, and the leaves are gorgeous right now. Tomorrow is supposed to be light rain and about 60 degrees. Like the temp, don't like the rain! We shall see... Hoping my knee cooperates and lets me run the race. Know for sure I can't push it and run really well, but would like to finish within 20 minutes of what I had hoped for pre-injury. My dream finish at this point would be 2:30. Likely closer to 2:45-2:50 though, or even 3:00. I really hope I can come in before 3:00. I will show up and do what I can do.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all of the well wishes and I hope everyone is doing well with their training and everything else. Finding time to run became a little more hairy this week as we welcomed our twins Jack & Zoey into the world on Thursday, October 4th! Zoey was born first and weighed 3 pounds, 11 ounces and Jack was born two minutes later and weighed 4 pounds, 4 ounces. I actually wrote up a whole post last week and tried to send it but my iPad had some kind of strange hiccup and I lost the entire post. My wife came home from the hospital on Monday afternoon and both babies are doing really well in the NICU. They haven't needed any breathing help at all and just recently were taken off of their feeding tubes and are taking all of their feedings by bottle!

We have been trying to balance our lives between our home with our 22 month old and the NICU which is tough because my wife can't drive and she's still not allowed to stay home alone with our daughter. I guess it's only going to get crazier when they come home soon!

Hope you guys are all doing well and enjoying your runs...I know I will when I finally get out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter