Doing Christmas Week...I know it's crowded, I'm crazy & it's expensive...now help me out.

My family regularly went to Disneyland between Christmas and New Year's when I was growing up and I've been to WDW twice in the time period you are going. I prefer the less crowded times but I would pick the weeks around Christmas over the summer season in a heartbeat (speaking of great unwashed masses....). Plus there is almost nothing more magical than falling snowflakes on Main Street.

My tips
1. Pick only a few daily priorities - particularly for the 24th - 26th. Consider anything beyond 3 a bonus.

2. Soak up the atmosphere. There are so many shows and parades and carolers and sparkly holiday outfits. Whether the parks, the resorts, or DTD, the festivity is contagious!

3. Pay attention to the park closure rules - you don't want to leave if you aren't suure you can get back in.

4. If you don't have an ADR, consider having a snack or two tucked in a bag or pocket. Lines for QS and snacks move but can be longer than you would think, even at off peak meal times.

4. Pack both hoodies/jackets/gloves and swimsuits. It can be hard to tell whether you will be swimming or shivering or both.

5. Have fun!!!

Chiming in to backpack on OP's post! We too are considering going that week, Dec 21st-26. We weren't planning on going back until 2017 to let all the work be done at AK and so DS would be big enough for e-ticket rides. He'll be 4 this xmas, so emh at night are not really an option except at HS. If we decide to go, my plan would be to do EMH in the parks in the AM, leave at noon, then come back at 5pm for shows/lights/dinner. One full break day in the middle. AK on Xmas. In bed by 10. Doable? TIA!

Here is some lemonade... I think you are going to have an AWESOME Trip! I also think that your kids are the perfect age, especially since they are Disney enthusiasts.

I would almost treat each day like 2-in-1 deals. I would RD whatever park you wanted, then make a TS ADR for 11 or 12 or 1pm, depending on how early RD was. After lunch, nap time! Wake up, do another ADR for dinner 5 or 6pm (I always wake up from naps starving) and then close down a park! That kind of fun commando trip actually sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Last edited:
I've been at that time period before and it really was not that bad. First of all it is not too hot. Secondly the crowds as most folks have said really pick up from Christmas to New Years. Finally Disney is just plain pretty crowded most of the time anyway, so why not enjoy all the holiday goodies. It sounds like your kids are plenty old enough to deal with the crowds and I think the more crowded times are harder with very little children who don't understand if they can not see their favorite character or ride a certain ride. We always plan time to do a resort tour. It is really fun to stop in the lobbies of all the resorts and see the beautiful Christmas decorations. I think the suggestion to get advanced ADRs is also great as well as considering a meal or two or at least a little break from the actual Disney property. Maybe look into one afternoon or day shopping or somewhere off campus for dinner. Finally I went when my kids were about that age and we packed a small christmas tree, stocking and some of their presents. It was very fun to decorate the room and really they still expected something on Christmas morning. Also we gave them a Disney gift card so they could buy something on Christmas day.

We were thinking Disney cards as well....good to know someone else liked it. Thanks.

Hi
I love your positive attitude
I have lots of ideas.
I am one of the DIsigners down on the creative DIS forum.
I am taking a break from DISigning tll July 15 (son's wedding) but when I get back I would be more than willing to whip up some things to make the season a bit more Jolly.
examples
Santa Mickey Key note
Tink and friends pillow notes
Treat Coupons
Christmas autograph pages
Have a look at my coupons in my Photobucket
link in my signature

Here is an example of a Christmas coupon

akadaddy7_zpsn1syanp5.jpg

My family spent Christmas at Disney a few years ago and we had a Blast-but I did plan lots of things.

Pack a small tree and send everyone on a treasure hunt to find something to decorate it with. My one son came back with straws and lifesavers.
Pop Popcorn and make Hot chocolate and decorate the tree.

Yes my family even dragged our air blown Canadian Polar Bear all the way from Canada and put him on our Balcony.

Tie your stockings on the room door handles.

Decorate the windows with Christmas window clings. They look good on the mirrors in the room also.

Hand out small candy canes to CMs.

Go Christmas shopping in DTD , we bought our stocking candy treats at Goofy's Candy Shop.
Don't forget to drop by and see Santa Claus.

Get those Santa hats at the dollar tree store and hot glue some large black pom- poms on them.
Tye Dye some red and green t shirts.

Pack wrapping paper, bags, tape,tags and ribbons from home,,Disney does not have much of any of this.

Being festive in attitude and spirit will make your Family Holiday even more special.

Have fun planning
Hugs Mel

Wow! Those coupons look great and such good ideas.

Thanks to all who have shared your experiences and more importantly your hearts. What a blessing it is to have so many people full of knowledge and fun share their favorite things. This is what makes Disney so special....the community.

I'm feeling better about the trip every day....keep,the advice coming.

It can get cold at night! I brought warm coats and clothes but ended up buying hats and mittens. I bought a small tree for our room & a few small presents to open on Christmas morning. Rope drop is a must. Osbourne lights a must. We did Candlelight Processional on Christmas-beautiful.

December is our FAVORITE time of year to go! I agree that the weather can be so unpredictable. One year it was perfect, another almost too warm, and then another we were suckers like everyone else and buying up winter Disney gear they had all ready from the back racks for us nuts who didn't pack for 20 degrees and humidity!!

When we actually stayed over Christmas, we were at Wilderness Lodge and it was incredible. Unless you are determined to be among the throngs of people on Christmas Day, I would highly encourage you to take this day for your family. It was pretty special to wake up in our room and have our own special Christmas around our little tree, all away from the madness. We had each brought something small from home for one another and then spent some time earlier in the week spying out that perfect little gift we wanted for each other. We did end up venturing out in our resort later that day and Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful place at Christmas. We had dinner that evening at their signature restaurant, Artist Point, and it was a great way to end our Christmas Day. I looked later that evening at pictures people on Disboards were posting from Main St earlier that morning……..SO GLAD we didn't get into that chaos. The crowds don't typically bother me, but for our family we truly like to focus on Christ that day and it was awesome to have a birthday cake delivered to our room to add to our special family day :)
As far as the days surrounding Christmas we just knew to be pleasant with one another and make an agreement ahead of time that no matter what we faced in the day (crowd and wait time) we would be pleasant to others as well. Truly made that trip magical in several ways!
Have a great time planning and think of us as we are the crazy ones…..leaving in 5 days to go in the EXTREME HEAT!!!

We are at Wilderness right now! Our favorite and I think our 4 th stay. The staff remembers us! Now I am biased, but it is the most Chirstmasy and beautiful at this time. The characters meet right in the main lobby by the elevator. There is usually a photopass by the tree too. Highly recommend.

I also second or 8th MK om christmas is a zoo. Do it on the 23rd or 26th. It's just too crowded to be fun. Plus you want the special memories with your family.

One more tip. I had a table top tree delivered from 800 flowers with lights for the room. It really made it more homey.

Oh my god...of all times to go geeze.

I wish you luck and come back and tell us all about it!

Again as others have said, a bit of planning, but be flexible.

Having been a few times (always in Dec over Xmas, mostly offsite), for us one of the biggest things is just wandering around soaking up the Disney atmosphere. I'd suggest early star Xmas day (with lunch mneal booked onsite?) and then when it all gets a bit much, head back to the hotel/villa for some pool time.

1. We are at Wilderness right now! Our favorite and I think our 4 th stay. The staff remembers us! Now I am biased, but it is the most Chirstmasy and beautiful at this time. The characters meet right in the main lobby by the elevator. There is usually a photopass by the tree too. Highly recommend.

I was hoping that might be the case! Does anyone know if there are photopass photogs in all the resorts that do xmas decorations? Was hoping to take a day off from the parks to resort hop a little. Which characters meet in the main lobby at Wilderness?

If you buy gifts, can you get them gift wrapped for free or for a fee? One thought I had was to let DS point out a few things he liked, tell him to ask Santa, and then have DH sneak back to purchase for Xmas morning.

Oh - and where are the Santa M&Gs? I know there is a Goofy one in HS, any in the resorts or DTD?

I've went over Christmas two times now, and it's honestly my favorite time of year. Yes it's crowded but plan wisely and you will still have a wonderful time! I would avoid MK on Christmas Day, but other than that just go where you want and plan FP+ accordingly. Make sure to take the time to see all of the decorations and special Christmas shows and parades. It's truly beautiful! Also, if you have kids, the resorts normally have had special Christmas things like making ornaments. We made some awesome animal ornaments at AKL our last trip. Have a magical trip! :)

Fabulous time to go!!!

We went last year Dec. 20-29, and we're headed back this year Dec. 18-26. It was fantastic, and MK on Christmas Day, while crowded, was such a fun, happy atmosphere. We were able to get FP+ last year for the Christmas Parade, and my 6 year old got to high-five some of the characters. We also were able to FP SDMT and an Anna/Elsa meet and greet that day. While we didn't do a ton of things that day, we were able to log some really special moments. Santa also surprised her with a castle breakfast, which was absolutely magical.

A lot of the advice has been spot on, so I won't repeat all of it. One thing I will say, though, is check the kiosks and pick up additional FP when you can. We had 6-7 FP almost every day, and several times we were able to pick up a cheesy one at the kiosk and then swap it on the app for a different option.

Definitely take advantage of extra magic hours. We rode Space Mountain 3 times before 8 am on Christmas Eve. (We could have ridden more, but Mommy was ready for another ride.) Be flexible, enjoy the atmosphere, and have fun. It's fabulous!

Fabulous time to go!!!

We went last year Dec. 20-29, and we're headed back this year Dec. 18-26. It was fantastic, and MK on Christmas Day, while crowded, was such a fun, happy atmosphere. We were able to get FP+ last year for the Christmas Parade, and my 6 year old got to high-five some of the characters. We also were able to FP SDMT and an Anna/Elsa meet and greet that day. While we didn't do a ton of things that day, we were able to log some really special moments. Santa also surprised her with a castle breakfast, which was absolutely magical.

A lot of the advice has been spot on, so I won't repeat all of it. One thing I will say, though, is check the kiosks and pick up additional FP when you can. We had 6-7 FP almost every day, and several times we were able to pick up a cheesy one at the kiosk and then swap it on the app for a different option.

Definitely take advantage of extra magic hours. We rode Space Mountain 3 times before 8 am on Christmas Eve. (We could have ridden more, but Mommy was ready for another ride.) Be flexible, enjoy the atmosphere, and have fun. It's fabulous!

Don't be scared!

This year will be our third straight Disney Christimas (12/17-27.) We did the same 10-night trip in 2013 and 2014. It is my favorite time to be at Disney.

As others have said, it's all about expectations and rope drop / late nights. Find less popular things to do midday or book ADRs then.

There's so much to do that doesn't require you to wait in line. Storytellers in EPCOT, Osborne Lights, resort decorations.

I hate crowds and have had ZERO problems at Christmas, or during spring break this year. As long as your expectations are properly set, you are good to go!

Hmmm ... how did you get on the Monorail from the TTC? I stayed offsite once Christmas and the monorail was not running in the AM. Only the ferry and the resort monorail. Do they allow onsite guests on the resort monorail?

We walked up the ramp and got on. :) I can't really tell you any more than that. We did stop at the resorts on our way around though so I suppose it was the resort monorail we were on. I hadn't really thought about it. The other days we had taken the bus so this was my only day through this way so I don't really remember the details. I just remember the 16 cars in the parking lot because I counted them and being mad that I thought I thought I was still going to miss the rope drop ceremony after doing absolutely everything right three times in a row and it was something I had always wanted to see and had been building up to my girls and we kept missing it because the buses kept coming late.

Don't be scared!

This year will be our third straight Disney Christimas (12/17-27.) We did the same 10-night trip in 2013 and 2014. It is my favorite time to be at Disney.

As others have said, it's all about expectations and rope drop / late nights. Find less popular things to do midday or book ADRs then.

There's so much to do that doesn't require you to wait in line. Storytellers in EPCOT, Osborne Lights, resort decorations.

I hate crowds and have had ZERO problems at Christmas, or during spring break this year. As long as your expectations are properly set, you are good to go!

Thanks for the encouragement. That's what I need to hear are all the positive experiences. As a longtime lurker of these forums, I've read my share of negatives about the crowds and problems. And we don't need any of that, AT ALL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter