Doing Christmas Week...I know it's crowded, I'm crazy & it's expensive...now help me out.

akaDaddy

"Thanks Charming, but my daughter's got this."
Our family has been away from the Kingdom for 6 years. But we've finally got a schedule together that will work (yeah!!!), bad news is it's December 19th through December 26.

We're not newbies, so I already know some will say "it will be crowded, full of fussy people, impatient families all of the great unwashed masses". I already know that many on this board will be quick to tell they would never go during this time if there life depended on it.

No offense, but if you fall into this category, don't reply. I won't read it.

I'm not on this board asking for a critique, I'm looking for advise from those who've lived through the battle and have survived. I'm looking for advise from that special individual who can turn lemons into lemonade.

Help me out with advise, tricks, special family customs, fun things, super events and a great way to spend some precious time with my family.

Thanks for all your help.

I have never been at Christmas, but am booked for the first time! Have you got a room reservation squared away? We booked with a magical deal for similar dates. It helped bump the "expensive" obstacle into our usual travel time range (February break). I will follow along to steal the tips you receive!

Our first family trip was 12/24-12/31/2013. Christmas is a great time if you manage your expectations. Busiest days at MK will be the 25th, 30th and 31st. We found everywhere else pretty tolerable crowd wise.
Touring the Christmas decorations at the Deluxe resorts is great! Stopping to listen to all the stories of Christmas from around the world is a neat idea as well.

We will be back again this year for 18 days :)

I agree with the advice to manage your expectations. Use FP+ ride things that are important to you, and go with the flow of soaking up holiday cheer otherwise. Rope drop and late in the day will be your friend. Pack lots of layers.

We went during that time frame last year. I agree with rope drop and late hours being the best time in the parks. Magic Kingdom opened at 7 am and it was manageable until after 10. We went to Epcot on Christmas Eve and it didn't feel that crowded. We loved the Christmas decorations and parades. Osbourne lights were great. Be sure to visit the Grand Floridian and see the gingerbread house. We had Christmas breakfast at CRT, which was amazing! Any young children in your group? I got coupons created on the DISigns board so my daughter had a "coupon" for a special present for each day of our trip...pick-a-pearl, face painting, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment, your choice of souvenir, etc. Hope you have a great vacation!

I have never been at Christmas, but am booked for the first time! Have you got a room reservation squared away? We booked with a magical deal for similar dates. It helped bump the "expensive" obstacle into our usual travel time range (February break). I will follow along to steal the tips you receive!

Great to hear you have a trip scheduled as well. Feel free to partner in on this thread with replies and questions. There is plenty of room

We were lucky and got free dining at a moderate cheaper than we were expecting for a value resort.

We went during that time frame last year. I agree with rope drop and late hours being the best time in the parks. Magic Kingdom opened at 7 am and it was manageable until after 10. We went to Epcot on Christmas Eve and it didn't feel that crowded. We loved the Christmas decorations and parades. Osbourne lights were great. Be sure to visit the Grand Floridian and see the gingerbread house. We had Christmas breakfast at CRT, which was amazing! Any young children in your group? I got coupons created on the DISigns board so my daughter had a "coupon" for a special present for each day of our trip...pick-a-pearl, face painting, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment, your choice of souvenir, etc. Hope you have a great vacation!

Looks like rope drop and midnight will be our families new friend.

As for the children, our daughters will be 13 and 15 when we visit. Which I thought would be way too old for any of the "kiddie" surprises....that is until my oldest asked if Tinkerbell would still leave gifts and snacks for them every morning for them to find. It's amazing how WDW has the ability to bring us all back to the best of childhood. That's what has our family so excited about the return, even if it is during the "super peak" time.

The one nice perks at that time is you'll be able to see the special parades and Holiday Wishes at MK that are only at the MVMCPs prior to that time.

Yes, it's crowded, but not unbearable. Expect the worst in terms of crowds and you'll be pleasantly surprised!

We were at Disney the 19th thru the 23rd last year and found it very manageable. Yes, it was more crowded than Sept or May, but we still had a great time. The special Christmas fireworks and parades were a real treat - make sure to see them all. We also caught the Candlelight Processional and it was wonderful.

Agree with PP about good FP+ reservations, ADR's and expectations.

We had so much fun last year, that are booked this year for the 18th - 23rd :)

We've made 50+ trips to the World, are DVCers, and sans children but please don't ignore our post as we love coming at Christmas and think it's a great time for families (who have the sense to a.) plan and b.) have realistic expectations) to come!
Don't know your ages, but if the kids are old enough they might enjoy some of the World Showcase country storytellers. Of course the Candelight Processional is a don't miss at Epcot and the Castle lighting at MK is pretty spectacular too.
We avoid the parks (except if we can get into MK for the afternoon Parade, as it's just so joyful) on Christmas Day but always plan a Character Breakfast, nice dinner, tour the other resorts and maybe take in a movie in downtown Disney. Parks on Christmas Day can be done, but can also be scary crowded.
We do rope drop to ride what we really love...and it's fun to enter the MK when is still dark!
Osborne Lights are amazing...see them before Disney decides to obliterate a place to display them.
The resorts always have something going on and it is just the happiest of times to be there.
DO have ADR'S if you want sit down meals. We don't do dining plan but do make reservations...or have a rental car to dine off property...or get a DVC villa w/kitchen so we can cook.
Just plan ahead and then go with the flow if crowds and weather change them.
The most important thing is the time with your family.

* Pack your patience.
* Take breaks. The parks are crazy nuts. We usually leave at about 2 because it's too nuts.
* Plan your FP+ for the afternoons or evenings.
* Plan on doing one park in the morning for standby and the return for your FP+.
* Be careful to know EMHs. The MK will be open every morning so sleeping in will bite you.
* Don't burn the candles at both ends. Don't do evening EMH and morning EMH the next day.
* Book Christmas dinner as soon as you can. The MK will close by mid-morning so don't sleep in!
* TS reservations will give you a nice break in the day.

I just wanted to say great title :). Hope you have a great trip. Post your survival story!!

I have not been during Christmas or any of the other supposed "armageddon" days. However, I have used Touring Plans.com on days with crowd levels 6-9, including Spring Break (not Easter though). You might consider using one of their stock plans or a personalized plan and optimize it (button on their website). We wouldn't dream of going without it. Good luck. The parks and resorts will just look magical. I am kind of envious.

Haven't been during Christmas, but did just return from an Easter trip...another one of those crazy crowded and expensive times when most people on the DIS would never go.

My biggest tip is to plan, plan, and plan some more! Our kids are younger, so we took advantage of early 7am EMH every other day of our trip. We didn't do the late EMH, but with the ages of your kids that's probably more doable. We got SO much done during those first few hours the parks were open. When it got too crowded, we left and went back to our resort for a while to swim (probably not an option in Dec.), or toured other resorts for their Easter decorations.

Try to eat your non-ADR meals either early or late and not during prime times.

Make a list of "must do's" and make every effort to do those (rope drop, EMH, FP, etc.). Everything else is just a bonus. We never use those touring plans or crowd calendars.

We didn't go to a park Easter morning. We relaxed at the resort during the day, then had late night ADRs at a park other than MK.

For Easter, the resort gift shop allowed us to purchase items for Easter baskets. They wrapped up the baskets and held them for us, then delivered them Easter morning to our room. THey knocked and left the baskets at the door (a CM was further down the hall, peeking to make sure we got them). Not sure if they do something similar for Christmas.

We had a fabulous trip for Easter. I don't know if it's because we were expecting the worst, but we loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to go back during that time again. Our great Easter experience made me rethink possibly going during Christmas once my little ones are a bit older.

My sister took her family there for Christmas a few years back and they had a wonderful time. RD at MK on Christmas day is imperative according to her. They rode everything they wanted, left at 11am and headed for food and another park. Good luck and have a fantastic trip :D

To be honest, I don't think your dates will be that bad. Usually it gets more crowded after Christmas Day and leading up to New Years. If you have the 7am opening at MK, use that, do as many rides as you can before 11, have lunch, watch the Xmas parade and then head back to your hotel. Come back in the late pm, with your scheduled FP and enjoy the lights and fireworks!

The only thing I would say helps a lot during that time is to eat at table service in the parks. The CS places are CRAZY busy. But definitely eat at one park CS because you will most likely get a coupon for 20% off souvenirs on your receipt.

We love going at Xmas......yeah it's crowded, but it's WALT DISNEY WORLD and CHRISTMAS! What could be better than that???? Plus, it's not as hot as other times of the year and I can handle crowds better when I am not overheated.

We did Dec 27&28 with my Dad last year. Busy, but completely manageable. I was surprised. We had a blast and I would do it again.

RD was critical. We got to MK by 6:15am to wait in the tunnel until RD and were able to walk on to 7DMT. Then did a couple of other rides before my Dad insisted we stop to play in the Space Mountain arcade followed by wandering around hunting for breakfast (I was good and made sure no one saw me tapping my foot as precious morning seconds ticked away). We finally made it on to Big Thunder about 8am and waited about 20 mins.

I used easywdw's wait times but unfortunately found it a little off with Disney's being more accurate (and longer).

Lines were longer than normal for many times and built up earlier than normal too. Be prepared to not do as much. Epcot opened much earlier than people were predicting. We got there only a little early and were well behind for standby lines so we only got to do Test Track and had to skip Soarin' (we were parkhopping and used our FP+ for our afternoon park).

CP and Osborne Lights were the highlights of our trip. They did give out return tickets for CP, even without the dining package. We got there at the right time and waited about 20 mins.

Even though Chefs de France was booked solid, we were able to walk up and get a table for lunch around noon (just a short wait). We had asked at Le Cellier but they told us we would have to check back. (I had cancelled our Biergarten CP package because my Dad told me he didn't want to eat there).

We sat in the hub for quite a while to make sure we had good spots for the fireworks. Watched 2 rounds of the Christmas show at the Castle, the Frozen Castle lighting, and from there it didn't seem too long a wait for Celebrate the Magic and the fireworks.

We (me, DH, DS13) are going 12/21-12/29. Love to see all the suggestions! We are going kind of expecting the worst and hoping for the best. We will not visit any parks on Christmas Day. We all know it will be more crowded then we are used to, but will try our best to just enjoy the fact that we are at Disney! Hope you enjoy!

We did it last year. Went in with 2 ADRs a day and 3 fastpasses. The rest was enjoying the holiday atmosphere. The line for parking was 2 miles long on Chirstmas! Other than MK Christmas Day you should be fine with these expectations. We did Epcot with the candlelight processional on Christmas Day. It was lovely. And I cried like a baby. I think we did the HS lights on Christmas Eve. Just plan early and you will be fine as with all things disney. Another tip, the holiday characters meet in the lobby of the deluxe resorts each night around 6-8. We met them all this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter