• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dog at VWL!!!!

ohioMickey

now living a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom-
Just back from a wonderful 12 day trip to VWL.

We had a 5th floor room overlooking the woods between the resort and Bay Lake. On one of our last days, i was out on the patio early in the morning gawking at the forested scenery before me. What a wonderful sight for the soul. Feeling at peace, I stretched, smiled, and looked straight down over the balcony at the thin ribbon of green grass between the building and the woods. What do i see?

a little white poodly-type dog taking a pee!!!! Then the owner picked it up and carried it into his villa!!!!

Hmmmmm..... poodle helper dog???? or the reason maintenance on points is already increasing????

Did I approach the frontdesk about my finding? no. Should I have? probably. Instead, I forgot about it and took my kids to the Magic Kingdom.

OH MY:confused:

Glad to hear your vacation was so wonderful though... About the dog... I just can't believe anyone would do that... What's the world coming to... A dog in the villa :(

We're just back from our first visit home at VWL. The person who occupied our one-bedroom immediately before us, had obviously smoked in a nonsmoking room. It took us days to get the smell out. Why do people have to break the rules?

I would have definitely called the front desk. We would have loved to have brought out miniture doxie with us to WDW. Instead, we left him at the local kennel.

:(

I have seen poodles used as service dogs for deaf individuals. More than likely though this was not the case.

Every trip is a struggle for my wife, to leave our shutzu behind (she does), so I can certainly understand the motivation behind someone sneaking in their "baby". IMO I don't think a little poodle who appears to be trained is going to drive up maintenance fees any more than real children who tend to bounce off the walls in excitement.

If they get caught I think the embarrassment and the forced complication of finding boarding for the dog, would be a hefty and expensive punishment for their mis-conduct. I wouldn't wish that on them.

If they were causing direct damage to property I would certainly inform management.

I think that is extremely rude! I am very allergic to dogs and if I got the room after them my allergies would start up just because the dog was in the room. I would be very upset that MY vacation was ruined because of an inconsiderate person.

Disney has plenty of kennels onsite for this purpose.

I would have called to report it.

Olaf, I can sympathize about smokers using non-smoking rooms. We had the same problem with the Disney cruise. Not only the cabin smell of smoke, there was a cigarette burn in the curtain.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Apparently this has been a problem at HH far more than at WDW. I too would have reported it. Unless they could address it with the offending member, it's mostly a moot point.

I have zero toleration for this behavior! :mad: I think it is completely inconsiderate to other members and I wish DVC would make a conscious effort to crack down on this.

We are also pet owners and we board our pets to visit WDW. It is a sacrifice we make to visit. We love our pets, but are not the type people that sleep with our pets or allow them free run of the house and furniture. Why should we tolerate someone else's pets in our home?

We would all like to assume that Fifi is a spotless little pooch that is bathed daily and wears a flea collar, but the fact of the matter is we just don't know. I personally do not want to worry about the possibility of Fifi relieving himself on the carpet when the owners are having fun in the parks. There are plenty of roach motels that would welcome Fifi. Regardless of how clean the owners of Fifi may believe he, it is not their right to disregard this policy put in place for all of us.

I had an unfortunate experience of staying in a resort (non-Disney) in the past that someone smuggled their dog in. Within one hour of check in, my legs were getting extremely itchy. I looked down in horror to see my white socks were crawling with a tens of fleas! No exaggeration. Needless to say I immediately flew down to the front desk and explained the situation and they calmly said that on occasion people sneak their pets in and this does happen. Needless to say I was out of there.

Also, my place of business is located next to a motel. From my office window I see people sneaking their pets into the rooms constantly.

I believe this is a rule that should not be compromised because someone doesn't want to leave their beloved pooch behind. The choice is simple; STAY HOME!

We all have invested a significant amount of cash into our investment of DVC and take a great deal of pride and joy in it. Regardless of how small Fifi may be, it doesn't make it right!

Sorry for the rant and I know there are worse things in the world that someone could do but this is just strikes a nerve with me.

OhioMickey, Glad to hear you had a great trip. We were down there at the same time. The weather was great last week!

I would have reported it as soon as I seen it. People of today have no regards for other people ( smokers, pets, etc). This person should be contacted by DVC even now by a letter, informing them that it better ever not happen again, or there will be consequences (evicted from their location (OKW,VB,BWV,VWL,HH). Some people are so rude and ignorant that they have to be told, or they will keep on breaking the rules of DVC.:(

We as members SHOULD be mad. But what if it wasn't member and the ressie was made through CRO. Do we ban the person from WDW?? ;)

The punishment should fit the crime. :D

I, too, have to wonder how they smuggled in the dog. I also have a small dog and wouldn't think of doing that, even tho it is very hard to leave her behind, not to mention how mad she gets at me! But, I do have to wonder how they kept the dog from barking or even whimpering. Sounds like a real mystery to me. But I do have to agree, it is stated that no animals are to be on DVC property. Unless they live there already, like the salamanders (is that what they are?) and bunnies.

The person should had been reported immediatedly. There are many people with dog allergies and this can cause a problem. There are some nice kennals just down the road from VWL and Ft. Wilderness that my wife has used.

It is people like this that ruin the expierence for everyone else. Thre was a debate on this on either the community board or the debate board in which a person first posted that she had kept her dog in the room and then wanted people to agree with her that she was right to do so. She was shocked to find out that people thought that she was wrong.

She was shocked to find out that people thought that she was wrong.

That seems to happen a lot with rule bending and breaking....if others on the board don't back them up they take offense.

As much as I love poodles, rules are rules and all pets are not allowed (except service animals). I don't think I would have made a federal case out of it by investigating room number etc., but I might mention something at the desk...."Are dogs allowed in the villas?" When they say no. I'd mention that I had seen a dog and that's why I was asking.

Olaf.

It's my understanding that, if someone requests a smoking room, and there are none available at the time of check-in, then they are "allowed" to smoke in their non-smoking room. So, it's "possible," but not likely, that the previous occupants weren't breaking the rules.

If that's the case - then Housekeeping could have/should have tried to "oxidize" the room before you took occupancy.

We were assigned a smoking 3BR at OKW once when no non-smoking villas were available - and they offered to provide that service for us.

Just a thought....

I would suggest that the people who brought the poodle are probably very well aware that room services at the DVC are every 4th day. Therefore DVC appeals to them because they can leave the poodle in their room rather than at a kennel. If they were at a regular hotel they would be busted the first day. I appreciate their love of their pet but they should be reported immediately before we turn a beautiful resort into a second class kennel! Not every pet owner will take care of the cleanliness of their pet. I don't wish to sleep in the same bed as someone's dog! Fleas are not in my DVC contract.

I agree with Bob H that the poodle owner knew of the prohibition and took the pooch anyway. I've seen dogs brought into all types of places where I would normally not expect a dog. It does not surprise me that it was done at the resort.

I do not know whether the owner was staying on points or not. What I do know is that he or she absolutely counted on not being reported promptly to the resort's staff. Not reporting him or her merely encourages this behavior.

What someone else pointed out in an earlier reply is that WDW has very nice kennels available. I was discussing this with my BIL, who will be travelling to FW in early July. He will be boarding the family dog at the WDW kennel, as he has done in the past. This is the only fair solution to all concerned, including the dog.

BTW, I have owned several dogs in the past. Whenever I traveled, they were boarded at the local kennel. Anyway, this was not meant to be Scrooge-like. I just found the thread interesting. Merry Christmas to all!!!

:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter