Does Magic Jack work?

I like it so far but I have only used it as a second line. I want to give it a try to see how it would work for us before I cancelled my land line.

I am leaning towards canceling the land line and just using our cells and the magic jack.

Is the reception good? Can you use more than one phone? I could save $300 a year so I'm very interested in hearing more!

It has worked well for us. We only had a glitch one time and we don't know why (internet was up but a call did not ring through).

Eh, I dunno. Maybe on the owner's end, the reception is fine - but as the recipient of a couple of Magic Jack calls (from different people/locations), there's a LOT of static and interference that I know is NOT coming from my own phone!

We don't have a magic jack but wanted to let you know of a similar product. It's called Ooma. If we go in the far corners of our house there is some static but I can't complain it saves us $40 a month! Never had any other problem.

my friend had it for the last month and says its terrible and always drops calls so she is going back to land line.

I would say for the most part it depends on your internet service. My brother's girl friend lives in Australia, he lives in Missouri. She calls him everyday on the Magic Jack. The only time she had any trouble was when her internet service was acting up.

My neighbor who lives two houses from me has it and when she calls the reception is horrible. Also, at times when I have tried to call her, the call won't go through. It seems her phone is not working most of the time. She is regretting chosing magic jack. Before this they had vonage and that didn't work well for them either.

we've been using Magic Jack for about 16 months now & really like it. It has an occasional glitch (beeps every now & then) but weighing (?) a beep now & again for free against a $70 a month phone bill, I'll take the occasional beep. I have a friend with cable phone & she has MUCH more trouble than I do.

I like it so far but I have only used it as a second line. I want to give it a try to see how it would work for us before I cancelled my land line.

I am leaning towards canceling the land line and just using our cells and the magic jack.

They have one for cell phones too, FemtoJack. They were expecting an April release date, but I'm not sure if thats been pushed back. The cell phone co's aren't too happy about it ;)

I loved my magic jack. However I found it quite flimsy and it broke. There was some static sometimes, but I am in a low coverage area for ATT, so it was much better than my cell phone.

We ditched the home phone, upgraded our cell phone plan, and use the magic jack as our new home phone.

We had a few problems in the beginning with an echo, but it was only on our end. We got a new computer, and the echo seems to be gone. We have not had any complaints from people on the receiving end of our phone calls, and have also saved $30 a month since we made the switch!

How doe's majic jack work? Is it used for a second line ?Long distance?

First, you have to have high speed internet. Does not work with satellite internet.

You just plug it into a usb port on your pc (does have to be on all of the time to make & recieve calls. It's a very small device, about 2x's the size of a memory stick.

You can carry it with you anywhere in the world (as long as you have access to hsi)

Free calls anywhere in US (can pay extra for international) & to any other magic jack user in the world. I say free, but there is a $19/yr membership fee

Stores your #'s in a phone book
Caller ID (#only)
Call Waiting
Call Forwarding
Voice Mail, & can also be set to text or email messages to you.

I say for what you get, it is WELL worth $19 a yr. If you subscribe for 5 yrs it's $79, (that's $8 more than I was paying per month with our local phone co.)

If the power goes out, or you are temp without internet, who doesn't have a cell phone for backup.

We have ours hooked up so that it works like a regular phone system on every phone in the house. I also have my cells phones linked to a gateway so they are also accessible from all of our phones.

Hope this helps, oh ya to purchase the unit is $39, but includes the first yr of service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter