Does it make any sense to go to MK for <An Hour before Epcot?

Gillbob316

Mouseketeer
Doing a park hop day as a party of 1 next Saturday.

Normally I'm with a larger party, and it's hard to get everyone going early, so I'd never even consider this, but I can get myself up and out at the crack of dawn when I'm alone, so I'm going a little crazy with my plans...

Magic Kingdom opens at 8 that day, opening ceremony at 7:45. Epcot opens at 9.

I'm considering rope dropping at Magic Kingdom, watching the ceremony (haven't seen it in years), maybe grabbing a cinnamon roll at the bakery, then immediately hopping a monorail to Epcot around 8:20 and rope dropping there to get in line for Frozen.

Sound doable?

How long does the Monorail trip from MK to Epcot usually take? What's the bare minimum latest I should leave MK to get to Epcot before 9?

I'm a park veteran, but also live out of state, so sometimes realistic expectations and travel times become fuzzy to me, as they're usually only vaguely remembered, haha. I know I likely won't even have time to do much at MK, but honestly, the Opening Ceremony and soaking in a little extra morning time on Mainstreet is enough for me. I just want to make sure I can get to Epcot before 9, because I want to get in line for Frozen ASAP. (I know they may let Epcot crowds in a bit before 9, but I made it at 9 on the dot on my last visit and still only had a 20-30 min wait for Frozen, which is what I'm after again.)

Remember the monorail isn't direct. You will have to get off at TTC and then transfer to Epcot monorail.
If you really want rope drop at Epcot for FEA, I don't think I would risk that for just an hour.

The main street bakery is now Starbucks, so to get a bakery cinnamon roll you'd have to walk all the way back to new Fantasyland and go to Gaston's tavern. Honestly, between security, then the show, then getting in, getting down to Gaston's, waiting in that line, eating, getting back, getting out, getting on the monorail (that is assuming it will indeed be running) and then getting to Epcot, and then getting into that security line, and then the rope drop line I don't think you will have much time to really soak anything in...B ut if you want to see the ceremony and then leave, that would be doable, I just don't know how enjoyable. Sounds so fantastic and I am wishing for a solo trip someday!!

My very conservative estimate is to leave MK by 9:15. You'd have to push your way against the throng headed into MK, take a monorail from MK to TTC, then another from TTC to Epcot. Even with no lines, waiting for two monorails takes time. Once, I left my party in MK to make a "quick" trip to Epcot to buy souvenir a relative asked for. I got back nearly 2 hours later.

To me, it's not worth the time, but I admire your drive.

I agree with previous posters - if you want to RD FEA, skip MK. As @Calee mentioned, you'd have to hike to Gaston's to get a bakery cinnamon roll. Back in April I made a "quick" stop at MK on my way to EPCOT - wanted to swing by City Hall to make a couple of FP selections for later that day. The CM told me those kiosks were out of order, so I walked back to use the ones by Philharmagic. That "quick" stop took almost half an hour from the time I stepped off the resort monorail at MK and then boarded the monorail again to head to the TTC and on to EPCOT.

If you're planning to do FEA, I'd have to pass on the MK. Any delay could add big amounts of time to your wait.

Yes, DS arrived at rope drop a couple weeks ago. Went straight to FEA. Line already long, guess the PPO ADRs. Just as he finally made it to the big doors (yes line was outside), they shut and it broke down. Took him a total of 2 hours to get on ........... at rope drop.

I just want to point out that I'm not married to the Cinnamon Roll idea, and didn't realize you could no longer get them on Main Street. If I do this I don't feel obligated to run all the way back to Gaston's to get a Cinnamon roll. That was just a thought of something I thought would be brief (because I thought they were still on mainstreet as well).

Another thought is go get a free pack of cards at Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom.
Another thought is make fastpass selections (coming back later)
Another thought is browse the gift shop (I may avoid that though, as I tend to browse for too long).
Another thought is just watch the Opening Ceremony and Leave.

I'm not stuck on any given plan, mostly just looking to catch the opening ceremony and soak in an extra hour at Disney. Time estimates are half of why I made this thread to ask opinions. I'd be more concerned with making it to Epcot than i would be doing any given thing in Magic Kingdom, past the ceremony. (Even the Monorail I find fun, so that's added soaking as well.)

As far as getting in line for Frozen, I realize competition is stiff and the line backs up fast... but like I said, on my last trip I arrived at Epcot at about 9 on the dot... they had clearly already been admitting people, but I don't imagine for too long. Proceeded immediately to Frozen. Got in line. Waited 20-30 minutes. I'm not looking to walk-on Frozen here, just get there early enough to... beat the severe late-morning to afternoon backup.

Oh PS. I'm a guy who doesn't carry bags, so security is usually walk-through for me. I just breeze through that "no bag" line and hope I don't get pulled aside for additional screening (and I typically try to do my best to steer clear of the officers who I know might pull me aside for additional screening)

PS2. If Frozen were to break down, I'd probably bail on the line. I've been on it, so this isn't a "need to ride" situation, just a "would strongly like to ride" situation.

Last edited:
If it's just you, I think it's totally doable to watch the opening show then immediately head to Epcot. I don't think going in to the park is a good idea - it turns into a vast time suck pretty quickly. But seeing the show and going straight away? Absolutely.

Another thought is just watch the Opening Ceremony and Leave.

Probably your best option if you really want to see the ceremony.

Oh PS. I'm a guy who doesn't carry bags, so security is usually walk-through for me. I just breeze through that "no bag" line and hope I don't get pulled aside for additional screening (and I typically try to do my best to steer clear of the officers who I know might pull me aside for additional screening)

On my October trip, we arrived at MK early enough to see the opening ceremony and all adults were being sent for additional screening - bags or not.

I like your enthusiasm to try to get as much in as possible! The monorail ride from TTC to EP is between 4-5 minutes, just on it's own. That doesn't include wait times. :)

On my October trip, we arrived at MK early enough to see the opening ceremony and all adults were being sent for additional screening - bags or not.

Really? I went in September and got a brief Metal Detector passthrough at worst. Curse these Florida themeparks and their increased concern for the safety of their guests! (Kidding... kinda... mostly. Yay safety. Boo lines.)

If you want to see the morning show that bad then head to MK early and be there about 7:30. Since you're not doing anything in the park (you can get the same cinnamon roll or other items at Starbucks at Epcot) I wouldn't even go through security. Watch the morning show then hop on the monorail to ttc, transfer to Epcot monorail, then plan to get to Epcot about 8:10-8:15. That way you'll get a decent jump on the rope drop crowd and won't have to wait a ton of time in line for FEA

Back in the days before FP+, we hit Epcot for EMH, rode Test Track and grabbed a FP for later in the day for Soarin' before we headed to the MK. We did not make rope drop, but we were close. If you opt to go to the MK, get there early to have a chance of getting the attraction you want.

You should be able to make it, if you don't go inside the park...just do the welcome show.

I've done the MK EMH just to get some SOTMK cards then monorailed it to Epcot, however I wasn't trying to make it to Epcot for anything specific (certainly not FEA!), so I was fine with not making rope drop. This was on the last day of a trip anyway where I had already rope dropped both parks and done everything at least once, so it was just a lark.

Doing a park hop day as a party of 1 next Saturday.

Normally I'm with a larger party, and it's hard to get everyone going early, so I'd never even consider this, but I can get myself up and out at the crack of dawn when I'm alone, so I'm going a little crazy with my plans...

Magic Kingdom opens at 8 that day, opening ceremony at 7:45. Epcot opens at 9.

I'm considering rope dropping at Magic Kingdom, watching the ceremony (haven't seen it in years), maybe grabbing a cinnamon roll at the bakery, then immediately hopping a monorail to Epcot around 8:20 and rope dropping there to get in line for Frozen.

Sound doable?

How long does the Monorail trip from MK to Epcot usually take? What's the bare minimum latest I should leave MK to get to Epcot before 9?

I'm a park veteran, but also live out of state, so sometimes realistic expectations and travel times become fuzzy to me, as they're usually only vaguely remembered, haha. I know I likely won't even have time to do much at MK, but honestly, the Opening Ceremony and soaking in a little extra morning time on Mainstreet is enough for me. I just want to make sure I can get to Epcot before 9, because I want to get in line for Frozen ASAP. (I know they may let Epcot crowds in a bit before 9, but I made it at 9 on the dot on my last visit and still only had a 20-30 min wait for Frozen, which is what I'm after again.)
Do you have fast passes set up already for Epcot? Because you have to ride them or let the times expire before you can get more. So you wouldn't be able to make passes for later at Magic Kingdom even though you are in that park for a few minutes. Also you will be far back in the rope drop crowd by the time you get to Epcot from MK. All that being said, a few years ago before all the extra security I did this exact thing. I was first at the turnstile, watched the MK opening show, and immediately rode the first horse drawn wagon ride to the castle, then walked quickly back up Main Street and was the only one on the ferry boat back to the TTC and immediately got on the monorail to Epcot. I power walked to soarin where my friends were just getting paper fast passes at Soarin and so got one too. I missed rope drop at Epcot by about 10 minutes and that was without added security, no bag, and the Ferry and Monorail being right there when I needed it without a moment of waiting, which you can't count on.

What are the rest of your plans for the day and where are you staying? Maybe we can come up with a better plan for you

Just be prepared that the monorail to epcot might be down... so you'd have to take a bus to epcot from the TTC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter