• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does it bum anyone else how soulless Epcot feels these days or is it just me?

I'm not a huge fan of Future World, but I love World Showcase. I am not really all that techy. But, my kids like stuff like that.

I'm not a huge fan of Future World, but I love World Showcase. I am not really all that techy. But, my kids like stuff like that.

I was thinking the same thing. My wife and I love the World Showcase, and Epcot is easily my 2nd favorite park. But I'm not a huge fan of future world anymore. Many have already said this, so to echo, I think that the identity of this world has changed gradually over the last 10 years, from an exciting look at the future, to a place that has some cool rides with little interest in teaching and educating. I miss Body Wars, and Cranium Command(my favorite Ex-ride at Epcot).

I love Soarin and Mission Space, but They could do so much more with it to teach people.

It has changed, not necessarily bad just different.

I'm not sure I'd say "soulless", but I agree that there's a disjointed feeling to Future World that wasn't there back in the '80s and '90s. The last time where I still felt the cohesion was in May 1998, when Horizons was still open and the Living Seas still had the trip to Sea Base Alpha. Wonders of Life was in its heyday, and Spaceship Earth had the full descent with Jeremy Irons' narration. Journey to Imagination was also still in its original form and was awesome.

There were some cracks already starting to show at that point. World of Motion was closed, and Test Track was still being tested. Innoventions had taken over for Communicore, and even the Living Seas had skipped part of its pre-show. This was the start of a major change that really hurt that part of the park.

I do love Soarin' and like Test Track, but the rest of the changes haven't been positive for me. The interesting thing is that the component parts are still there. Walking around Future World with the area music playing can still be magical, especially at night. If they fixed the issues with even two of the pavilions (I vote for Energy and Imagination), it could be great again. I wouldn't even go crazy to see WOL still be closed if both of those pavilions were back up to speed. However, I expect even an upgrade to those attractions would likely use some type of Intellectual Property. This is especially the case with Imagination. I'm trying to stay hopeful...

While I still do love Epcot, I'll agree that it is soulless compared to EPCOT Center of the 80's and early 90's.

I think its hard for those that never experienced EPCOT during those years to understand that it was much more than a collection of rides, there was a palatable sense of wonder, a sense of inspiration, that just permeated through Future World. Going through the FW attractions was like attending a giant pep rally for the future, you got the feeling that it was just around the corner and it was going to be AWESOME!

Limitless communication; multiple renewable and clean energy sources; efficient transportation; medical breakthroughs; undersea living; sustainable agriculture- it was all possible, it was all within our reach, if we only had the imagination and the belief that if we could dream it, we could do it.

It was heady stuff, and as a kid it seemed even more magical than anything at the Magic Kingdom, because it was (or at leas could be) REAL.

Compare all of that to today, and yeah, soulless does come to mind. FW is not bad, but it certainly does not possess the "soul" of inspiration and wonder that it once head.

I still enjoy Epcot, and I think rides like Nemo are cute and MS are fun, but I wish that Disney hadn't let the wonder and inspiration slip away.

Yes, all of this. I would only add that it seems to me that Future World has become very disjointed in mission. I feel like there is a lack of executive vision and interest in this part of the park beyond merely filling the pavilions. Education wrapped in the magic of possibility used to be the upshot of all of the attractions there, regardless of theme. That seems to have been lost along the way, as each area seems to have its own distinct agenda, whether that is advertising, amusement or just taking up space. Disney needs to take a good hard look at Epcot (Future World in particular), and install some strong leadership to right that ship. I don't need to go back to 1987 (cool as that would be), I just would like to feel that Future World was more than a few rides to hit on the way to World Showcase.

On another note, they could take all of Innoventions completely out of the park, and I would not miss any of it. Yeah, I said it. :p

I'm not sure I'd say "soulless", but I agree that there's a disjointed feeling to Future World that wasn't there back in the '80s and '90s. The last time where I still felt the cohesion was in May 1998, when Horizons was still open and the Living Seas still had the trip to Sea Base Alpha. Wonders of Life was in its heyday, and Spaceship Earth had the full descent with Jeremy Irons' narration. Journey to Imagination was also still in its original form and was awesome.

There were some cracks already starting to show at that point. World of Motion was closed, and Test Track was still being tested. Innoventions had taken over for Communicore, and even the Living Seas had skipped part of its pre-show. This was the start of a major change that really hurt that part of the park.

I do love Soarin' and like Test Track, but the rest of the changes haven't been positive for me. The interesting thing is that the component parts are still there. Walking around Future World with the area music playing can still be magical, especially at night. If they fixed the issues with even two of the pavilions (I vote for Energy and Imagination), it could be great again. I wouldn't even go crazy to see WOL still be closed if both of those pavilions were back up to speed. However, I expect even an upgrade to those attractions would likely use some type of Intellectual Property. This is especially the case with Imagination. I'm trying to stay hopeful...

Yes, disjointed! I just posted the same thing. You must have posted while I was composing. :thumbsup2 Glad I'm not the only one who senses this.

Yes, disjointed! I just posted the same thing. You must have posted while I was composing. :thumbsup2 Glad I'm not the only one who senses this.

That's funny! EPCOT was my favorite park even back when I was a kid in the '80s, so it really pains me to say it. I still love the atmosphere, but the attractions are more of a mismash than they've ever been.

In some ways, I agree with you. I really enjoy the park. It is 3rd on my list (of the 4) for favorites.

I kind of agree with you about the Future World area of Epcot.

I think the downfall started when they put those awful headstones just inside the entrance to the park.

They add or represent nothing except a blatant cash grab.

While I still do love Epcot, I'll agree that it is soulless compared to EPCOT Center of the 80's and early 90's.

I think its hard for those that never experienced EPCOT during those years to understand that it was much more than a collection of rides, there was a palatable sense of wonder, a sense of inspiration, that just permeated through Future World. Going through the FW attractions was like attending a giant pep rally for the future, you got the feeling that it was just around the corner and it was going to be AWESOME!

Limitless communication; multiple renewable and clean energy sources; efficient transportation; medical breakthroughs; undersea living; sustainable agriculture- it was all possible, it was all within our reach, if we only had the imagination and the belief that if we could dream it, we could do it.

It was heady stuff, and as a kid it seemed even more magical than anything at the Magic Kingdom, because it was (or at leas could be) REAL.

Compare all of that to today, and yeah, soulless does come to mind. FW is not bad, but it certainly does not possess the "soul" of inspiration and wonder that it once head.

I still enjoy Epcot, and I think rides like Nemo are cute and MS are fun, but I wish that Disney hadn't let the wonder and inspiration slip away.

You just composed what IMHO is a perfect post!

You have captured everything that I feel, but could never put into words like you did.

Heady, yes. But never underestimate kids' minds. I loved Future World and feel a sense of loss, like mourning when I listen to the old soundtracks. I'm with OP and Candle on this.

logo-epcot.gif

Sigh.

Why is EPCOT the only park without Disney's in the name? It's Disney's Magic Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom. Why not Disney's Epcot?

Yes. Just yes.

:thumbsup2

The thing to remember, you are now what EPCOT used to talk about, a mindless. Vacationer zipping around with your cell phone videoing every thing, using all the apps available, texting instead of talking and just moving about at such a pace you need a week at home to recover. I don't think that was Walts vision, we have been captured by people who have mastered getting fools to part with their money and on their terms not yours. Next time forget the apps, just enjoy the parks and just enjoy what you can.

I say, bring back the edutainment......... and carpeted walls:thumbsup2

Well, then you would have parents saying Future World is boring for their kids so they aren't even going to go there. Vacation does not equal education for a lot of families (not mine but people don't want to think and neither do kids while off school).

Epcot is my least favorite park. I never did care for it. Don't know why. Just never liked Soarin', used to like Test Track but now it just breaks down constantly, and I could do without World Showcase. Illuminations is alright, but I prefer Wishes and Fantasmic.

Now I am not saying Epcot is a bad park. We all have different likes and dislikes. Which is why Disney is great, there is a park for everyone.

I think the brass at Disney got spoiled by the amount of money they were able to pull out of corporate sponsors to help fund and operate FW in the 80s and 90s. WoL never reopened despite having 2 popular attraction because they couldn't get a new company to come in. Even MS was sponsored by HP originally. I will come to the defense of MS, Walt always wanted to let park guests experience things like space flight that they wouldn't be able to in real life. While unfortunate that so many are unwilling or unable to do the Orange side, it is as close to the actual experience of being launched into space as the vast majority of us will ever be able to experience. The real shame of FW is that WoL pavilion sits there boarded up and Disney's willingness to let the Imagination pavilion operate with obviously sub-par attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter