Does Fro-Hate really make sense?

Disfan1968

Ordinary Pig
**EDIT... Folks keep pointing to the word "hate" as being too strong. Don't get hung up on it. It was just an attempt to grab attention and headlines. ;)**

I have poked my nose into a couple threads today where people were doing the usual Disboards "I hate Frozen" thing (obviously not all people do this, but plenty do). Any threads I have started in the past have usually been to get some information I have been looking for, and not really philosophical. But I am wondering if, among all the anti-Frozen sentiment, there are solid numbers of people on the Boards that share my thoughts, which are...

So why do people seem to beat on frozen so hard? Is it the thing like when I was in high school when all my friends liked a given song or artist right up until the moment that song or artist became popular? Then suddenly it became cool to hate said song/artist, just on principal?

With Frozen, I am not sure what people expect Disney to do actually? They are capitalizing on their movie. How evil. The public is showing up for Frozen Summer Fun in droves to enjoy the fun, and thus spicing up the Studios for a couple years. What a travesty.

I think we should fully expect Disney to showcase whatever current Disney "craze" is out there. If they didn't, people would be complaining that Disney isn't recognizing and taking the opportunity to liven things up. You can hate on Frozen all you want, but like I said elsewhere, being obsessed with A&E is no different than a lot of adult's obsessions with their favorite characters. Imagine posting a thread about how annoying Mickey is and how you wish there was less of that damn mouse all over the parks. Well, we can't hate on Mickey, now can we? But let's face it, A&E are bigger rock stars to many kids than Mickey is, and that's ok.

I for one hope they do continue to "pimp their movies" as time moves on. It's what the kids want (and doesn't that matter too?). My kids loved the Frozen events last year, and well, I'll say it... I am guessing they'll be delighted by the Maelstrom overhaul as well. I know, I know... but that was the "culture" they tore down to make way for Frozen abomination! Well, I guess my response to that is that I don't really take my kids to Disney for "culture." I take them for fun, and if some culture slips in there too, then that's just fine. But, I torture my kids plenty enough at home trying to expose them to culture. Let's just go to Disney, play along with whatever the current phenomenon is, and have fun. After all, isn't the object to feel young again while we are in Disney World anyway?

Last edited:
Hate is a strong word, but it's definitely my least favorite of every Disney animated movie. I honestly don't understand the adoration of this movie. It was a chore to get through it. Music grated on my ears, the plot had holes and was rushed, the characters were wooden cookie cutter or shoe horned in unnecessarily.

I certainly DO understand Disney wanting to capitalize on its popularity, even if I don't get why its so popular.

I have 2 daughters that adore the movie, and they can't get enough Frozen. They are the ones I care about, not someone ranting on a message board. Also, as a Disney stockholder, I want the company to capitalize on it and help me to retire early.

Same here, only it's a grandson. We were thrilled to learn the Frozen Summer Fun was coming back this year in time for our trip. He's an Olaf fan, but loves all things Frozen.

I don't get the backlash, you don't have to go see the movie and you can skip the Frozen stuff at Disney. Besides, it's making Disney a fortune. Obviously there are more people that want it than are tired of it.

Hate is a strong word, but it's definitely my least favorite of every Disney animated movie. I honestly don't understand the adoration of this movie. It was a chore to get through it. Music grated on my ears, the plot had holes and was rushed, the characters were wooden cookie cutter or shoe horned in unnecessarily.

I certainly DO understand Disney wanting to capitalize on its popularity, even if I don't get why its so popular.

My guess is that you aren't a 7yo girl lol

My then 7 year old loved it when it first came out and would not stop singing "the" song. But now that's she 8, she's over it. I guess we will see what she thinks of the sequel. :confused3

And I totally get that it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I stand by my use of the word FRO-HATE! ;)

It sounds though like you are a reasonable "hater" that understands the "to each his own" thing.

My husband and I (both in our early 50s with two grandkids, one female, one male) watched Frozen and thought it was OK. Not anything we would be fixated on and neither of the grandkids are hooked either.

But, for "hating" it? It's a movie. Is Disney trying to gain more guests because of the success? Of course! That's what any successful business would do.

It's all just a matter of opinion. Quite honestly, if someone said "I'm never going to do X because of Y", well, that person needs to get a better perspective on life as a whole.

Their will always be those that hate anything popular so in reality any "hate" is unwarrented.

I'm indifferent about the movie. It is probably the best thing Disney has done recently IMO (including Big Hero 6 and Wreck it Ralph). Yet does Frozen touch The Littel Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, or The Lion King, of course not in my eyes. Yet I am hoping it is the start of a second streak.

Last edited:
I think the sentiment here, (and I wouldn't call it hatred) stems from the fact that every dollar and Cast Member allocated to Frozen is a dollar and Cast Member that can't be allocated to something new or original. I think everyone understands the desire to capitalize on the popularity of Frozen. But let's be honest. Frozen has a tightly drawn demographic. You don't see too many posts here that say: "My 14 year old son loves all things Frozen and wants more Frozen stuff in the parks." So if you aren't a 5 year old girl, or the parent of a 5 year old girl, you might understandably cringe when you see money and manpower diverted to Frozen instead of being diverted to something else, even though you understand 100% why Disney is doing it.

Now, if Disney announced the "Frozen 3000 Ice Coaster, starring Aerosmith", more people might get on board!

No LOL. But I LOVE animated movies, especially Disney animated movies, and I have sisters (so I totally get the whole "sisterly bond" thing). I just thought this particular animated movies was lame.

While mine is still all over it... she is now attached to Baymax.... lol

I think the sentiment here, (and I wouldn't call it hatred) stems from the fact that every dollar and Cast Member allocated to Frozen is a dollar and Cast Member that can't be allocated to something new or original. I think everyone understands the desire to capitalize on the popularity of Frozen. But let's be honest. Frozen has a tightly drawn demographic. You don't see too many posts here that say: "My 14 year old son loves all things Frozen and wants more Frozen stuff in the parks." So if you aren't a 5 year old girl, or the parent of a 5 year old girl, you might understandably cringe when you see money and manpower diverted to Frozen instead of being diverted to something else, even though you understand 100% why Disney is doing it.

Now, if Disney announced the "Frozen 3000 Ice Coaster, starring Aerosmith", more people might get on board!

Well, I would say any money Disney has spent on Frozen related things is money that wouldn't even be there if it weren't for Frozen. Its ability to generate cash through ALL the various avenues has been a literal windfall for the company. I would bet they have spent a fraction of it on actual park "Frozen stuff" (and that investors have made a killing on it), but more important I would submit it is likely that frozen will in fact FUND other Disney projects. I guess I'll say that the frozen activities (I would guess), at the very least pay for themselves.

Well, I would say any money Disney has spent on Frozen related things is money that wouldn't even be there if it weren't for Frozen. It's ability to generate cash through ALL the various avenues has been a literal windfall for the company. I would bet they have spent a fraction of it on actual park "Frozen stuff" (and that investors have made a killing on it), but more important I would submit it is likely that frozen will in fact FUND other Disney projects.
Tough to "follow the money". Frozen has done well. Sure. But take a look at the worldwide receipts for the Ironman franchise, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and the Avenger/Thor/Captain America franchises. Collectively, they put Frozen to shame. So what have those franchises funded? As I say, it isn't really a "money in the box office/money out to the parks" equation.

I don't think anyone begrudges the Frozen success, and I only half-joke about the Ice Coaster. I think that some of what you are seeing is backlash against hard ticket events and cupcake/dance parties when what we would all like to see is cool E-Ticket Attractions. If Disney built a ride as cool (pardon the pun) as the Haunted Mansion, or Pirates of the Caribbean, or TSMM and themed it after Frozen, I don't think you'd hear much complaining here. But the stuff that WDW is doing with Frozen has sort of a desperate, spur of the moment feel to it and lacking in Imagineering or permanence. I don't think people hate Frozen as much as they hate slipshod opportunism.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter