Does everyone really tip housekeeping?

Does everyone really tip housekeeping?

• Yes, I always tip housekeeping.

• I only tip housekeeping at WDW - because it's special.

• I never or almost never tip housekeeping.

• Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't tip housekeeping.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is the first and only time I have not left a tip. Just returned from AKL and our mousekeeping left a little to be desired. This is the first time that they have NOT wiped down the counters in the dressing area, sink (toothpaste in the sink), did not leave new glasses and left our towels hanging on the back of the door (sign said if you want to re-cycle them, hang them on the line across the shower). But, the worst was when I came in at 11:00 in the pitch dark and fell over the ironing board my daughter had left out because the iron was still warm. Wouldn't you think that the maid would put it away for her? No tip at all, all 3 days......maybe next year.

We've been tipping in hotels all my life, never thought that it wasn't an option :confused3

:

Us too! I am in my late 30s and we have tipped in every hotel we have ever stayed at - and we traveled a lot as kids - and now as adults. My parents would have one of us write a little thank you note too.

I just thought everyone tipped. Until I came to these boards I never realized some people didn't!

Never have left a tip. Always say hello or good morning to all of the maintenance staff we come across at the resort.

I Googled "Emily Post Tipping Guidelines". This is the listing for Travel - to use, ignor, print and burn in your fireplace.......whatever you choose!

Cathy

TRAVEL:

Skycap
$2 first bag, $1 per additional bag

Doorman
$1-$2 for carrying luggage
$1-$2 for hailing cab
$1-$4 beyond the call of duty

Bellhop
$2 first bag, $1 per additional bag

Housekeeper
$2-$5 per day, left daily

Concierge
$5 for tickets or reservations, $10 if hard to get; no need to tip for answering questions

Taxi driver
15% plus an extra $1-$2 if helped with bags

Us too! I am in my late 30s and we have tipped in every hotel we have ever stayed at - and we traveled a lot as kids - and now as adults. My parents would have one of us write a little thank you note too.

I just thought everyone tipped. Until I came to these boards I never realized some people didn't!

you're not my brother are you???/:lmao: :lmao:

We never really considered tipping housekeeping until we traveled to Cancun - and in researching prior we felt it was the right thing to do. Then when we traveled next in the US, we decided it was probably a good idea here too.

We usually tip ~$2/night, unless there is an unusual circumstance. In general, I am uncomfortable about tipping and get kind of stressed about it (bummed it's no longer included in the Dining plan), but I don't mind the housekeeping tip too much.

Of course, now with the kiddos, it's easier to forget on any given day! Felt bad that last time at Disney (at WL) we forgot (due to DS being sick) the one day we got our towel owl! (We tipped extra some other days, due to the extra mess from DS being sick.)

This time I'll have to be sure to print out mousekeeping envelopes for each day, and prefill them with at least a base amount. I had printed one mousekeeping paper, and meant to leave the tip on top of it each day, but they took the paper (understandably I guess).

I tip housekeeping in any hotel or resort I stay in for pleasure or business, Disney or non-Disney.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but we don't tip housekeeping at any hotel. The employee is doing their job without doing anything special that would require recognition by me.

I travel about 35 weeks a year.
First night is automatic, unless the room was a mess when we checked in. The following days are based on the quality of service, usually $5 if I think they did a very good job and with reductions accordingly. If it is way bad I will call desk. WDW usually has good service.

WOW! I posted this poll 2 days ago, checked it today for the first time and there are 9 pages of posts! Obviously a hot topic. Thank you for all the interesting responses and ideas.
It looks like about 1/2 of the respondents always tip and the other 1/2 vary from sometimes to never. As someone else mentioned, it would be interesting to try this poll on a non-Disney group - I'm guessing that we would get a lower percentage of people who regularly tip housekeeping.
My husband and I have travelled quite a lot - both through the USA and in other parts of the world, and, honestly, had never heard of this prior to my discovering these boards 2 years ago. It is interesting to read the different view points and logic on this topic - and I'm relieved to find that it's not just me who was oblivious to this issue.
While I would never deliberately under-tip anyone, I do agree with others who have suggested that the whole tipping thing has gone a bit crazy. It just seems to be expanding (as far as who we are expected to tip) and increasing (as far as the percentage/amount that we are supposed to tip). It seems that there will be a suggested/expected standard amount, but then some people will want to tip extra to show extra appreciation (which, of course, is their right to do so) and, next thing you know, the standard expected has increased to be in line with the extra that some people were giving (ie - standard for wait staff used to be 10-15 percent, but now 15 is the bare minimum with closer to 20 being encouraged).

By the way, as far as the regional thing goes, I grew up in Kansas.:flower3:

i agree oh my... i have been saving for 2 years for this trip to disney..I AM one of those low wage people in Il. I feel like the room costs enough money without someone wanting a tip for doing THEIR job. I may tip after seeing what kind of job they do, but I am not going to leave a tip just to get a towel animal. that is not how it should be. If I scrape enough money we may be able to come back in 2 to 3 more years.

I always tip housekeeping and I tip them very well. They deserve good tips.

We've been tipping in hotels all my life, never thought that it wasn't an option :confused3

We tip about $5 a day and while were there we start a change jar and leave that for the maid as well. On our last trip I actually counted it out because it didn't look like a big enough "bonus", there was over $15.00 in there.

The maid knew that I loved the H20 body lotion, so when she saw DH in the hall later in the day she gave him 10 bottles to give to me :woohoo:

OH!! I SEE, so your 10 bottles of lotion just made my room in april cost more money!!!! those bottles did not belong to the maid to give away ya know.

Although I always tend to clean up before heading out for the day, we always leave tips for the housekeeper. I have found that we usually receive extra towels, extra shampoo's, more chocolate on the pillow, etc for doing so. It is kind of like they are thanking us for thanking them. While at the Peabody in Orlando 2 years ago we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and left a tip in the morning and again for turn~down service. I spoke with housekeeping about possibly being able to buy some of the shampoo they use in their rooms (I used to use years ago before Bare Escentuals discontinued it). She let me know that they sold it in their gift shop. I checked and it was WAY over priced. :eek: Good thing I did not buy any, when I returned to my room that night, there were 10 bottles in each of the 2 bathrooms.:flower3: She did this twice the next day as well. How totally thoughtful. And I didn't have to buy any shampoo for quite awhile which more than made up for the tips. :love:
Anyhow, it is always nice to hear a happy story.:hippie:
So, yes, while I always tip, it does not mean that if you don't you are wrong. Everyone just needs to do what works best for their budget.

HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!!!!!!pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

I think if the maid is going to leave extra things in your room, disney should not have to pay for it. WHO paid for the extra shampoo and other items????? Did she use her tip money to buy them for you ?? I doubt it. I'll bet you it was Disney property!!

I think if the maid is going to leave extra things in your room, disney should not have to pay for it. WHO paid for the extra shampoo and other items????? Did she use her tip money to buy them for you ?? I doubt it. I'll bet you it was Disney property!!

Yep, you got me....I'm responsible for the high prices at WDW...Guess what, I leave my TV on all night too, and the bathroom light, so that's more expense for you. Pretty soon, I'm going to banned from the place.

if Disney wanted such tight control over their lotions they would only allow housekeeping to stock in their carts the amount that would be necessary to stock each room with one. I would be that they get those for free or at dirt cheap prices. Since my last visit, I've probably spent $150 on H2O products, just because of the samples I get in my room. I've done the same with with the Bath and Body Works that Marriott gives out.

It's funny that DH and I were just discussing this topic the other day....I love to tip for exceptional service. What's frus=strating to me with the whole hotel housekeeping issue is the fact that you are essentially tipping BEFORE the service has been performed. You would think that this would get you exceptional service, but unfortunately, that's not the case. I usually do tip every day, but if I get poor service, then I won't tip the next day. (I know...may not be fair as the housekeeper who cleans my room tomorrow may not get a tip based on the fact that whoever cleaned today wasn't the best worker...but I'm not sure how else to do it....I just don't think it's right to reward someone for bad service.)

BTW....i have tipped on every WDW trip I've taken as an adult....prob. about a total of 20 nights since 2002, and we have NEVER gotten a towel animal. (and it's always been pretty obvious that we have kids) So, Tip if you feel it's the right thing to do, don't if you don't

This has been an interesting thread to read.

First: from Kansas and now Wyoming

I traveled extensively with my parents and never saw them tip housekeeping. I too had never heard of tipping housekeeping until going to Disney. I have on a few occasions Disney and other wise tipped housekeeping. I can't say it has made a difference. All I want is clean towels and the trash removed. I have done this myself in the past as I don't want my bed or sink messed with (and no I am not OCD). Tipping has not made a difference with towel animals, etc. If you read the thread on towel animals it doesn't make a difference.

I feel tipping has gotten out of hand. Where does it stop? If I receive good service I over tip. I should not have to tip for poor service or something I feel I have already paid for. I too have worked jobs that required alot of work for little pay and I did not expect tips for my work. It is interesting to note that mgmt told a guest not to tip. I will ask this trip when we check in and then decide. I do not consider myself cheap as we all pay alot for the Disney experience.

I don't tip because I want something. I appreciate the housekeepers hard work, and it's my chance to spread a little pixie dust. Sometimes it's just nice for me to give back.

When I'm on an extended stay at a hotel, I leave the tip and a little note before I go out for the day. I don't have a need to "evaluate" their work in advance. I just assume they will do a good job.

I very, very rarely have problems with my hotel rooms, wherever we go. If I do, I politely call housekeeping, and get whatever it is addressed. In general, I find housekeepers are hard working, and they really do care. :goodvibes

If you want to tip housekeeping, do. If you don't, don't. You shouldn't give it a second thought if it's not your thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter