Does everyone really tip housekeeping?

Does everyone really tip housekeeping?

• Yes, I always tip housekeeping.

• I only tip housekeeping at WDW - because it's special.

• I never or almost never tip housekeeping.

• Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't tip housekeeping.

Results are only viewable after voting.

kd2226

Earning My Ears
While I now live in Australia, I grew up in the USA and have a very good understanding of the tipping system. I certainly know to tip in restaurants, taxis, cruise ships, bell services, tour guides, etc. However, prior to discovering these boards a couple of years ago, I had never, ever heard of tipping housekeeping. From reading these boards, it seems that it is seen as the thing to do (or maybe it is mainly just at Disney World)? Does everyone really tip housekeeping? I would never want to be cheap or rip anyone off - but don't want to be throwing money around either. Are housekeeping staff paid a fair wage, or do they really count on tips like waiters do?
Thank you for responding to this poll.:flower1:

If the housekeeping is good, we always tip $3.00 a day for the two of us. It doesn't matter if we're at WDW or not. Along with the tip, I always leave a little thank-you note.
suck_kr.gif

From the following link for a guideline about tipping:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/summer_tipping/

The link covers all types of tipping during travel.
This is guideline for hotel tipping:

HOTEL TIPPING
Doorman: $1-$3 for hailing cabs, helping with luggage
Bellhop: $1-$2/bag
Concierge: $3-$5 for dinner reservations ($10 for hottest restaurants); $20 for booking tours; $25 for getting tickets to a sold-out show
Room service staff: 15%
Hotel housekeeper: $2-$5 a night (Leave every day as opposed to once at the end of the stay, since different housekeepers may clean your room.)

I always tip housekeepers. and they are usually paid right near minimum wage. Is that enough to live on? NO

Housekeepers do receive more base pay than a waiter in a restaurant, but they still aren't paid NEARLY enough for what they have to do. They are typically paid right at or barely above minimum wage, and the work is hard and demanding. I usually tip about $2 per day per person, more if I leave the room in a big mess or if they have to do something extra. If I'm staying in a larger room (suite or DVC through CRO) I may tip more just because it's a larger space and takes more effort to clean.

I have actually never tipped housekeeping. But I have also only stayed in a hotel for Things like hurricane evacuation and such. We do not take many "pleasure" trips. Last few big trips i went on we stayed with family and i just sent thank you gift.

Now that said I do plan to tip Mousekeeping. Probably 3 bucks a night becuase I tend to clean up after my family. I will actually take out the trash becuase i dont like it sitting there. Housekeeping seldom changes sheets mid stay they usually only make the bed...and i always do that becuase i dont like it to look messy. So Mousekeeping just has to vacuum and leave new soap and towels for my room ;) Man if i could pack the vacuum mousekeeping wouldnt have anything to do for my room LOL

Always Tip Housekeeping. . .They are NON-Union and therefore do not receive union wages (i.e.; a living wage). Therefore they are allowed to accept tips and when you do tip, your room is always cleaned well. . .

We always tip around $3-5 for the three of us. It is not a job that I would ever want to do, and we appreciate the job they do.

We always tip housekeeping, mousekeeping, ME bus drivers, baggage handlers, wait staff, and bartenders. To me, its just the right thing to do...

I do not tip housekeeping, I always felt that was covered in the price of the room, which is usually over $150 a night as it is. I MIGHT consider tipping this time, but doubtful.

Always $5 a night in non dVC resort, and a few bucks on Trash/towel day in dVC (i take out all of the trash each night--- so really there's not much for them to do), $5 on full cleaning day and check out day in DVC.

I will say that DH and I took a few trips before we got married, and once on our honeymoon in hawaii, and we didn't know about the tips. We just tipped once on departure day---- we didn't realize we should be tipping every day. But, we found that out a few years after we got married, and always tip-- we try to make up for our earlier mistakes now.

We also tip bell services $1 a bag, DME driver $1 a bag, the guys at the airport that take our bags $1 a bag, and waiters 20%--- we budget the tips into our trip money, because it does really add up. Usually we get $150 in $1 bills before we leave, and start making up envelopes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter